The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Yeah, this Matt Smith kid is pretty good.

Any other classic series fans have Vengeance on Varos flashbacks with the voting buttons?

Love the big crack in time, similar to the one in young Amy's bedroom, being the last shot of the show rather than the Dalek reveal. It shows Moffatt is really serious about the season's arc.

Can't wait to see what Mark Gatiss has cooked up for the Daleks next week. Looks like there's a big Power of the Daleks influence (pretending to be servants to gain a foothold).

Victory of the Daleks... Not as good as I'd hoped, but better than I expected (if that makes sense). RTD really made it hard to make an interesting and unique Dalek story after his run; he did, after all, create and destroy every last one of them a total of three times in a four-year period. It's unfortunate that once again the survival of a few Daleks was explained away by some exposition that "one ship survived". I was hoping for a more interesting explanation. In the long run it probably doesn't matter though, as the point was to have the Daleks to just be there there and to once again up their usual threat. Not sure I like the new and improved Dalek design though it probably is more retro and less bluetooth-inspired which is a plus (I really got tired of the neon blue lights). At least it was refreshing to see the Daleks not be terminated implausibly at the end by some ridiculous chain reaction or deus ex machina - I just hope they don't return for a couple of years and particularly not as the end-season threat. There's not really much more they can do after nearly destroying reality itself.

What was far more interesting was the continued theme of the crack in the universe, and specifically the very real repercussions it seems to be having. What does it all mean? Did the Daleks/reality bomb never happen? Why does the Doctor still remember if Amy can't? All this and the promise of River Song AND the Weeping Angels has me anxious to see next week's episode. I can't wait.

Interesting, the first two to post on the new episode are both non-Brits. ;)

I very much enjoyed this, a great return to form for Mark Gatiss after the woeful Idiot's Lantern, and a rock solid Dalek story despite them having been used almost to death in the RTD era. I've been saying for years that the Daleks needed some kind of victory to maintain credibility, and by their very survival they got that. I was quite surprised to see Moffatt engineer a total redesign of the Daleks, especially after the general consensus was that he would (and should) rest them a while.

And once again, the season arc takes center stage in the end. Very promising, I can't wait to watch this unfold.

The kids aren't going to be hiding behind the sofa next week, they're going to be running from the house screaming!

Interesting, the first two to post on the new episode are both non-Brits. ;)

Haha, I've been literally counting down the hours between episodes since the show came back. It and LOST are the highlights of my week.... Apart from my robust social life of course.

Yeah, the new Who ep is a big part of my week too. I'm doing my own schedules now (my whole team's in fact), and I always think about that come Saturday. ;)

I have to say too I'm not wild about the new Dalek design, particularly the "neck" piece. It'll probably grow on me though, I've just always been in love with the original ones.

Managed to catch this episode before I had to nip to work....enjoyable once more and the season arc is taking shape....a rollicking good adventure and as subtle as a baseball bat (I can do without subtle for at least a few episodes colgate.gif ). Ian McNeice was a joy to watch, it was VERY weird being a Brit and seeing a Dalek with a Union Flag design on him/her/it. The voice of the new Dalek Supreme harks back to the "God Dalek" from the Parting of the Ways. One of the audio stories (I think it was Terror Firma?) gave a connection between the God Dalek and Davros....wonder if this is going somewhere? One of the new Daleks has been christened "The Eternal" (I think it was the Yellow one...?!) by the production team...even Gatiss couldn't deny that was going somewhere, though I'm not sure he knows where yet. Or maybe he does....

Effects for the space battle were surprisingly good...and the Doctor has a great moment with a Jammie Dodger and that uppercut was deliciously enthusiastic! Just like Matt Smith, actually.

The redesigned Daleks...I'm just not sure. Love the more imposing size/shape and they look like they mean business....not sure I like the Cushing-like colour scheme, but it might grow on me. It just bothers me whether or not it was all absolutely necessary. However, I have learned (though it took me a long time!) to have faith in the Who team. Not sure we have seen the end of the "Old Guard" quite yet. The Daleks get a re-design quite regularly - maybe this one was just a bit drastic for me? They have a proper eye at last, though!

All in all, I have to say that this didn't have the "Event" feel that Dalek stories usually have - but it was a solid episode, despite my few gripes, in what is so far a surprisingly (for me) solid season.

The voice of the new Dalek Supreme harks back to the "God Dalek" from the Parting of the Ways.

And the Dalek Supreme from the end of Series 4, Briggs used pretty much the same voice.

That's quite possible... though I get the feeling that RTD wouldn't have been allowed to hint at any future storylines unless the Moff put it in himself.

Well, RTD makes it clear in the commentaries and features for the specials that by the time they were making those thier old production office was pretty much shut down and the Moffatt team was the "official" Who team, so I could see quite a bit of collaboration there. I know RTD consulted Moffatt on how he wanted to end things so it wouldn't conflict with the new series. But at the same time, I don't think Moffatt would carry an arc that directly over from the previous era, I think this'll be something new.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this week's episode, and I was neither disappointed nor completely enthralled.

I liked the way the daleks were used, but somehow this old story of how they survived is getting even older. Smith's performance however was again superb, and I find it interesting how for the first time, he doesn't have all the answers.

Effects - mostly impressive. Music - brilliant. I'd love to have the music for the ID4-style sequence.

Next week - an entire cave full of weeping angels... bring it on!!

Matt Smith has been spotted looking all couply and really quite friendly with one miss Billie Piper.

Straight after "Victory...", a friend sent me a text to say that the new Daleks look like "f**ked Mini-Coopers", to which the only reply is: "You're only supposed to blow the bloody Daleks off!".

Personally, I like 'em. They look sleek, but menacing, at the same time, but, please, Mr. Moffatt, please get rid of the godsawful main title, and its attendent music, as it looks like "The Sarah Jane Adventures", and nobody wants that.

I think I'm the only one who likes the new title sequence and music. I think it's much better than the previous one, and the theme is a more interesting arrangement.

I like them too :(, love the new theme and the titles :shakehead:

According to IGN UK, The Eleventh Doctor is set to appear in the upcoming series of The Sarah Jane Adventures, with the episode penned by none other than... Russell T Davies. Also, former companion Jo Grant is set to return (though I'm not sure if that means the same episode, we'll see).

Well this is interesting news. Not only because RTD is penning a Sarah Jane ep (which he hasn't done since the first episode) but also because he'll be writing for Matt Smith. How the tables have turned, indeed.

I think I'm the only one who likes the new title sequence and music. I think it's much better than the previous one, and the theme is a more interesting arrangement.

I love the new titles, with the lightning and fire vortex. Very nice. The new version of the theme is growing on me. Like the series 4 one it's missing the strong "dum-da-dum" at the start which really hurts it, but I like the actual theme when it kicks in.

According to IGN UK, The Eleventh Doctor is set to appear in the upcoming series of The Sarah Jane Adventures, with the episode penned by none other than... Russell T Davies. Also, former companion Jo Grant is set to return (though I'm not sure if that means the same episode, we'll see).

Well this is interesting news. Not only because RTD is penning a Sarah Jane ep (which he hasn't done since the first episode) but also because he'll be writing for Matt Smith. How the tables have turned, indeed.

Very happy about this news. Katy Manning is a hoot on the classic series DVDs, this should be a lot of fun.

Well, once again I'm first to review the new episode... Says something about me doesn't it? I wonder what....

Easily the best episode of the new series. I admit that at times I get caught up in the hype of this show and the excitement of seeing any new episodes often clouds my critical judgement on first viewing. In retrospect - and especially after watching "The Time of Angels" - last week's Dalek installment really was lacking in a few departments. But this was truly a return to form in every way in terms of writing, score, acting and direction.

I'll start with the pre-title sequence. It was very ambitious - tightly edited, well written and impressive. I wish the shot of River Song flying out of the airlock into the arms of the Doctor hadn't been shown repeatedly on the trailers but considering how surprisingly well it was realised on screen it's not really surprising. I loved the fact that 12,000 years seperated the characters at the start but within minutes it was down to business. It's interesting and quite telling to see just how much faith River puts into the Doctor; risking being sucked into the infinite void of space on the chance that the Doctor happened to find the exact relic he needed to facilitate her escape. Wow.

Of course, then things settle down and we're reintroduced into what, in my opinion, is the show's most terrifying villain yet. And straight off the bat you know that the Moff isn't about to just rehash the events of Blink. The idea that the mere image of an Angel has the same power as the thing itself is a fantastic twist and it was only in the first half of part one that this happened. Anyone can strike it lucky with a scary concept, but to be able to develop it more and still keep the mysterious and scary nature intact takes some true skills.

I'm happy to see Amy is in real danger in this story. The true terror of the Angels isn't their appearance or even what they do to victims. It's the fact that they turn something as simple as blinking in to an act of self-betrayal and weakness, and this is further elaborated on penetrating the mind. Amy's downfall was (and will probably continue to be) her own mind. Creepy. From what I glimpsed of next episode it seems Amy will be facing the exact opposite challenge as everyone else - if she keeps her eyes open for more than a second it could spell her own doom. Once again, wow.

If it sounds like I'm gushing, it's probably because I am. Nearly everything in the episode was masterfully executed. Even Murray's score was not too over-the-top, particularly in the aforementioned opening sequence (though the scene where River pilots the TARDIS had me struggling to hear the dialogue). Even the placement of the "cliffhanger" was unique for the show. I was expecting it to finish on just the realisation that they were trapped and surrounded (echoing nearly every cliffhanger of every two-parter ever) but then we got kick-ass monologue and a gunshot. I suspected earlier that the "gravity balls" may have some further use and I expect that to be in the escape plan.

Can't wait for part two. I just hope it keeps up the pace.

last week's Dalek installment really was lacking in a few departments.

A Steven Moffatt script.

This was my favorite ep so far this year too, it does so many things right. As much as I love Moffatt and their respective previous eps, I've never been the BIGGEST fan of either the Weeping Angels or River Song, but both are used to absolute perfection here. The little bits we got about River added so much to her character. Lots of great Moffatt lines too. Loved the run about the Doctor keeping score with museums.

Great to see Old High Gallifreyan get a return. Terrance Dicks must've gotten at least a smile out of that one. :(

Eagerly anticipating part 2.

On a related note, I'm about 1/3 of the way through my brand new copy of A Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter, and am loving it immensely. RTD's head can honestly sometimes be a scary place to be in, but he must be commended for his honestey and willingness for all this deeply personal correspondance to be published.

I found the "image of an angel becomes an angel" concept thrilling. The scene in the trailer was a very 'jumpy' experience.

Moffatt's presence is noticeable, although according to wikipedia next week's episode is the last he's written until the 2-part finale.

Thankfully that didn't affect BBC HD (or Scotland, apparently) so I saw the scene intact.

I was so lost within the story, I hadn't noticed the episode was ending, and so the cliffhanger was a real surprise. But if you saw that graphic, it not only takes you out of the show, but also tells you it's ending soon. Bad move, BBC.

It was on the...copy...I watched, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

This is Moffatt's last eps before the finale, but there's tons of great writers lined up between now and then. And plus part of Moffatt's job involves rewriting virtually every script. I've been learning from The Writer's Tale just how much RTD wrote even in eps that have other writers on the credits. The Moff's scripts are pretty much the only ones he didn't mess with.

Time of Angels TONS better than Victory of the Daleks, IMHO. In all aspects, acting, directing, plotting, dialogue, everything.

Not sure I liked the idea of

the parking brake always being on,

but I did laugh.

Amy gorgeous as always. :)

River Song kind of annoyed me for some reason in the first 15 minutes, but then she was fine. More going on there, too, I think.

Matt Smith still excellent.

Weeping Angels were used very well in the episode, I was worried their effectiveness would be lessened somehow, or they'd be less scary or something. Needn't have worried.

On a related note, I'm rather interested to see how RTD handles writing for the Sarah Jane Adventures featuring the Eleventh Doctor and Jo (Grant) Jones!

Have been avoiding this page of this thread as only just caught up with Time of Angels after work got in the way for a few nights.....thunderously good fun (Time of Angels I mean, not work!!) - Yeah the Graham Norton thing annoyed the crap out of me (not the first time his show has encroached on the good Doctor, for those of us that tremember the broadcast of "Rose" all those years ago) and I am one of the many that has now complained about this....it's not just Doctor Who they do it to - the BBC has become really sloppy over this in recent years and as someone who pays their damn salary I have a right to moan to them about it....

The episode itself however was a cracker. I have a tiny, insy, winsy problem with one aspect of the storyline - however I have learned to trust the Moff's writing and respect for Who, so I won't mention my gripe here as I strongly suspect it is going to crop up elsewhere. The atmosphere that the powers that be crate on a pretty meagre budget shows just how good the writing is in this show, and the moment when the cast realised that the stones have just the one head - sent shivers down my spine....great moment and so well handled by Matt Smith and Karen Gillan (wub.gif ) - i it just me? or has Matt Smith settled into this role just....amazingly? I know that both the character and Smith are both still developing, but he already fills the shoes so well....

I loved the idea of the military religious - could almost write a thesis on that if I had the need!

All in all - bring on Saturday!!!

Even though BBC America is a few episodes behind whatever new episode airs in the UK that week, fortunately they replay that episode and the previous one several times throughout the week. I was able to catch the last 2/3 of the first episode and the second episode this past Saturday at 11:30 instead of 2-3 am into Sunday like worst case scenario would have been, so I was very pleased.

For someone who had never watched Doctor Who before...I wish I had gotten into this show years ago!

Haha - yeah - a lot of history to catch up on too wink.gif

A fair few of those can be skipped though.....that's an interesting thought - I wonder which stories are probably essential viewing to understand some of the references in "New Who"?

I would certainly suggest An Unearthly Child, Genesis of the Daleks, Terror of the Autons or Spearhead from Space, The Three Doctors maybe (there's one big villain we haven't heard hide nor hair from yet - it's going to happen), at least one of the regeneration stories (Logopolis or Caves of Androzani?), The Hand of Fear and The Deadly Assassin, The Five Doctors, Remembrance of the Daleks, and The Movie....and Invasion of the Dinosaurs just to see truly how bad this show could be (even though I, and a few others here, hold this as a guilty pleasure for good reason - just shows what a decent script can do!).

Any others?

In order I'd suggest:

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks (you can't stop after An Unearthly Child!)

The Tenth Planet

Tomb of the Cybermen

The Invasion

The Seeds of Death

Spearhead from Space

The Daemons

The Sea Devils

The Three Doctors

The Ark in Space

Genesis of the Daleks

Terror of the Zygons

Pyramids of Mars

The Seeds of Doom

The Deadly Assassin

The Talons of Weng-Chiang

City of Death

Kinda

Earthshock

The Five Doctors

The Caves of Androzani

Vengeance on Varos

Remembrance of the Daleks

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

The Movie

That mixes a few important episodes in the show's history with some of the best stories. Also at least one episode from each Doctor. Should make for a fun month's viewing. Get to it!

In order I'd suggest:

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks (you can't stop after An Unearthly Child!)

The Tenth Planet

Tomb of the Cybermen

The Invasion

The Seeds of Death

Spearhead from Space

The Daemons

The Sea Devils

The Three Doctors

The Ark in Space

Genesis of the Daleks

Terror of the Zygons

Pyramids of Mars

The Seeds of Doom

The Deadly Assassin

The Talons of Weng-Chiang

City of Death

Kinda

Earthshock

The Five Doctors

The Caves of Androzani

Vengeance on Varos

Remembrance of the Daleks

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

The Movie

That mixes a few important episodes in the show's history with some of the best stories. Also at least one episode from each Doctor. Should make for a fun month's viewing. Get to it!

What, Pixie, no "The Twin Dilema",no "The Happiness Patrol", no "Ghostlight"? You do dissapoint me (only kidding!).Personally, I would add "Terror Of The Autons" (introduces The Master), "Revelation of The Daleks" (worth it for the line "I'm a master of the double entry"!), "The Curse Of Fenric" (Nicholas Parsons playing very well against type), and "The Dalek Masterplan", if you can get hold of it (The chances of getting hold of "Mission To The Unknown", are about as rare as the chances of anything coming from Mars!).

The chances of getting hold of "Mission To The Unknown", are about as rare as the chances of anything coming from Mars!).

A million to one...but still they cooooome.....

Not sure what I think of the new-look Silurians. They look far too human in my opinion. The originals had completely different eyes, noses and mouths from humans and seemed far more like a different species.

Not sure what I think of the new-look Silurians. They look far too human in my opinion. The originals had completely different eyes, noses and mouths from humans and seemed far more like a different species.

The first thing I noticed is the third, light powered eye is gone.

Have I ever wished I was the Doctor more than at the end of this week's ep. No, no I don't think so. wink.gif

Agreed!!!! Possibly the only man in the universe that would have said no!!

Another crackling episode...I just....kinda wished....that they hadn't shown the Weeping Angels moving......

Victory of the Daleks: Wow, what a turd. Never thought I'd say that about a Dr Who story, but it was pathetic. Churchill was woefully miscast and just came across as a silly fat man. The "get out" at the end was awful (The Doc and Amy convince the robot he isn't a bomb, and suddenly guess what? He isn't!) There was absolutely NO suspense or tension, and the whole thing felt like a rushed sequence of jumbled action/comedy sequences without any redeeming qualities. Except that the camouflaged Daleks looked cool. Shame about the new-look Daleks though. Wow, I'd give this episode a 3/10. The first two were MUCH better!

Well the Doctor's a lucky lad, why didn't he take one for the team?

Is it just me or was anyone else a bit shocked and unsettled at first by Amy's advances on the Doctor? I didn't know quite what to think but after thinking for a bit it makes perfect sense. Firstly, Amy has already been established as someone who isn't prudish and who has known the Doctor for 14 years including all through puberty and secondly breaks Amy out of the boring Rose-mould that I feared she was falling into. Finally, a modern interpretation of a young woman. I don't mean that to sound like all my female friends are promiscuous or hit on guys; she was responding to pretty mixed signals. This handsome gentleman whisks her away on adventures, she nearly dies and then is returned to her mundane life which she seemed pretty keen on running away from. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this all plays out!

Oh, and a bit of speculation on my part, but I'll spoiler-fy it anyway:

Anyone else think that we saw two Doctors from different time periods in this episode? There's a point in the Oxygen Factory when the Doctor (without tweed jacket - having lost it to an Angel) hurries off with River to try and sort out the situation leaving poor, scared Amy all alone. We hear his voice trail off as he leaves. Then, suddenly, he appears with a jacket on, sleeves rolled up and asks Amy to remember something she told him the first time they met. Then he kisses her on the forehead. It's clear that this Doctor has known Amy for a much longer time and even loves her (presumably only platonically). Any wonder she tried to seduce him!

If so, there's some incredibly dense plotting and forward-thinking happening right now. And really, considering it's a show about time travel it's hardly surprising and, quite frankly, long overdue.

I think I read that the jacket/no-jacket thing was a continuity error, nothing more. Though I could be wrong...

Anyway, TotA/FaS was a GREAT set of episodes, sorely needed after the dire Victory of the Daleks. Amazing, smart, witty dialogue, very good plotting, some of the best "monsters" ever seen in the show, the Weeping Angels. I did feel the resolution was a bit too quick and easy, perhaps? And the last scene with Amy and the Doctor... not sure what to think about that, was very puzzling, and I have to think (and hope) that Amy is not simply herself, something is up with her, something's not right. Kind of verified by the "It's all about you" dialogue stuff from the Doctor, the date, all that stuff. (Trying to avoid spoilers, hopefully...)

But overall, great stuff.

Gonna be interesting having this run of non-Moffat scripted episodes for the next few weeks...

I think I read that the jacket/no-jacket thing was a continuity error, nothing more. Though I could be wrong....

Most people have assumed that it is just an error, but I think the evidence speaks for itself. For starters the Doctor's general manner and mood is drastically different to just a few seconds before, and secondly he speaks to Amy about something completely irrelevant to the plot and which is never brought up again. Moffat's too clever for that to be an error. But then I could be wrong.... :lol:

Bahaha... I seriously doubt there were any intentions to "sex up" the show, even though at first I was a little surprised at Amy's attempted seduction. But really, it wasn't overly explicit, didn't lead to any sex scene and lastly most children wouldn't have even understood the undertones anyway. It served to further the plot and further develop both Amy and the Doctor's characters.

Doctor Who is a show that is enjoyed by both adults and children, but that does not mean it is a kid's show. Genocide, death and horror are all common themes and elements in the program so by definition it's not strictly for a younger audience.

This week's was pretty lame IMO. The plot didn't really seem to have any focus and the stakes seemed very low.

Plus, the dodgy sfx were back.

BUT, next week's looks damn interesting, so hopefully this was just an isolated episode.