The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

One hell of a let down? I wouldn't say anything close to that.

Of the 10 episodes so far, I'd say there are two that weren't as interesting to me - The daleks episode and the Venice one. Performance-wise I think they've all been flawless though. I'm undecided yet whether Matt Smith is outdoing Tennant here.

I'm bowing to the world cup pressure this week (strictly only for England games, and only as I have nothing better to do tonight), and will be watching the UK v US game tonight... the Doc will have to wait :)

The only episodes that have let me down this series have been the terrible Dalek episode and the dull as sh*t first part of the Silurian story. (Enjoyed the second part more, though.) The rest have ranged from amazing (Eleventh Hour, Time of the Angels/Flesh and Stone, Vincent and the Doctor) to pretty good (the rest bar my two least favorites). Every series has had its ups and downs. I completely disagree about this series being "one hell of a letdown".

Was anyone else put in mind of

the BBC Books Eighth Doctor Adventure "Alien Bodies"

by the trailer for The Pandorica Opens? Or is it just me?

The only episodes that have let me down this series have been the terrible Dalek episode and the dull as sh*t first part of the Silurian story. (Enjoyed the second part more, though.) The rest have ranged from amazing (Eleventh Hour, Time of the Angels/Flesh and Stone, Vincent and the Doctor) to pretty good (the rest bar my two least favorites). Every series has had its ups and downs. I completely disagree about this series being "one hell of a letdown".

I agree with everything you said. The Dalek story really was awful, and The Hungry Earth was just meh. The rest of the stories were extremely entertaining though. I even really liked The Beast Below which a lot of people didn't rate as much. The last three have been considerably better than the earlier half of the season IMO. Cold Blood (exciting, tense, an AMAZING ending), Vincent and the Doctor (best episode of the season!), The Lodger (the most entertaining episode of the season). Plus let's not forget that regardless of what you think of the stories, this season has been all about introducing Matt Smith's Doctor, and he is a resounding success. He is rapidly becoming one of the best ever. Already I think he has a slight edge over Eccleston and Tennant, which is an amazing feat if you think about it. Eccleston shone like an intensely bright star for a single season, then Tennant burst into the role and over the next four years made it absolutely his own. But Smith achieved that same degree of ownership of the part by his second story. Despite this season lacking any true classic episodes until well into the second half I still feel it has been one of the best thanks to Matt Smith.

I enjoyed The Lodger much more than I thought I would. It was Gareth Robert's best ep to date I think. He's always had a great knack for humor, dialogue, character, and great scenes, but his plots usually wobble a bit toward the end. Not here (Moffatt influence, maybe?). As much as I've loved Matt Smith, this is the first time in a while that he's really blown me away. He owned this episode and it was a joy to watch. And now...the big finish.

As usual, I'm reserving final judgment on the series as a whole until I've watched the whole thing on DVD. Just never feel like I've seen it fully properly until then.

The Pandorica Opens.

Holy crap! I've got goosebumps. Never has 48 minutes flown by so quickly. Terrific episode with a devestating cliffhanger. I never saw it coming.

Come on next week!!!! 26-06-2010

Been away for a while - have had real probs this year watching eps at the time they were broadcast and had to catch up over and over again....finally just saw Pandorica Opens and all I can say is - I agree! Excellent stuff!!!! Have loved the way that that whole season seems to have had very much of a "Fairy Tale" feel to it, and this episode strengthens that....and Amy! My poor Amy!!!!!!!!!!

Been watching the new season this week. I'll elaborate on it when I finish with all the eps.

But I have to comment on the casting of Matt Smith as The 11th Doctor.

He is absolutely fantastic. There was some concern if this young whipper-snapper would be able to make us forget about....eeehh...what's his name? The Scottish one, with the trainers, who was in a Harry Potter film...

I love the way Smith manages to combine a young upstart of a slightly damaged, grumpy old man.

The way he looks, the way he talk, the way he moves, It's all slightly off-kilter. Yert he does not seem to be winking at you as Tennant (ok now I remember) sometimes did. Also I have not seem Smith gurning like an idiot.

Best Doctor of the revamped series?

It's possible.

This weeks episode was fantastic! Very little here that I did not like. Oh, and the music at the end was stunning. Love Gold's more reigned in style for this season. I think Amy's theme is one of his best.

Also, I while watching the episode I though the moment when they find the Pandorica chamber had a familiar feel to it. As it turns out, the director is "one of us". If you watch the Doctor Who Confidential episode for this week, the director played "The Map Room - Dawn" from Raiders for the actors as they shot the scene. He goes on to gush about that particular piece of music. Very cool I thought.

Been watching the new season this week. I'll elaborate on it when I finish with all the eps.

But I have to comment on the casting of Matt Smith as The 11th Doctor.

He is absolutely fantastic. There was some concern if this young whipper-snapper would be able to make us forget about....eeehh...what's his name? The Scottish one, with the trainers, who was in a Harry Potter film...

I love the way Smith manages to combine a young upstart of a slightly damaged, grumpy old man.

The way he looks, the way he talk, the way he moves, It's all slightly off-kilter. Yert he does not seem to be winking at you as Tennant (ok now I remember) sometimes did. Also I have not seem Smith gurning like an idiot.

Best Doctor of the revamped series?

It's possible.

It's possible. I want to give him another year, I did love Tennant so much. But it took maybe one line to dispel all the anxiety I had about casting someone so young, he is perfect.

One of the things I love about him is something that he has completely naturally- even though he's young he's got an old face. Lots of times I see him and think I'm looking at someone much, much older than he actually is. It works so well.

I feel awful saying this, but I'm starting to forget the subtleties of Tennant's Doctor, mainly as the subtleties were quite hard to spot in light of his overall, bombastic and manic performance. I like that Smith is a bit more restrained. One of the highlights of this year for me was Eleven's conversation with the captured Silurian/Homoreptilia in "The Hungry Earth". An unspectacular scene - it's just exposition between the Doctor and Alaya - but his warning that there will be no war or violence while he is around was powerful in its understated delivery. There was fury and self-loathing and terrible loneliness in those words, but also hope and compassion. These bits have defined Smith for me, as opposed to the rock-star moment in "The Pandorica Opens".

Agggghhhhh I don't know how I can stand waiting another two days.

Best Doctor of the new series? I have to agree - it's possible.

I have seen a clip or two from The Big Bang....I have a feeling - from just a couple of shots here and there - that The Moff has pulled off what is possibly the biggest surprise since we discovered The Doctor was an alien. And it's all about Amy....

I've seen some rumors as well, non-Amy ones, that I kinda wished I hadn't. I'm trying not to think about it too much, and I'm not watching any clips. I've gone into most of RTD's finales knowing quite a bit, I'm going into this one much more clean and I want to keep it that way.

Greg and John, THANK YOU for not hinting at those spoilers. I have managed to avoid reading/seeing anything at all about The Big Bang, and I am bouncing around with excitement. Will be back to comment/gush/generally be a hyperactive who-geek in about 7 hours. :D

Incidentally, anyone else seen this?

http://doctorwhotoys.net/elevendoctorsset.htm

I haven't collected toys since I was in my teens (back in the 80s!) but I HAD to preorder this. Unfortunately it woke a sleeping bear and I have ended up ordering a whole bunch of monster figures to go with the 11-Doctor set. The Sea Devil has arrived already, and I have to say that for a toy it is beautifully detailed.

I just turned 40 and I'm buying action figures again. Can anyone say "mid-life crisis"? ;) Hey, it's cheaper than buying a sports car.

I just turned 40 and I'm buying action figures again. Can anyone say "mid-life crisis"? ;) Hey, it's cheaper than buying a sports car.

I'm 31 and I really want a Dalek and a TARDIS. For display purposes, of course. :D

John- much looking forward to tonight

Well - I was completely wrong!! haha - excellent!

Still very much about Amy but not in the way I thought....no spoiler there.....Finale was great without being earth-shattering...best-written episode of the season, maybe? Matt Smith on top, top form....and I loved the way the big story was being told with small character-based moments...

I like this Doctor, the actor who plays him is very watchable. The finale seemed pretty good, in a barmy kind of way - I hadn't a clue what was going on, which probably means it was brilliant.

I like this Doctor, the actor who plays him is very watchable. The finale seemed pretty good, in a barmy kind of way - I hadn't a clue what was going on, which probably means it was brilliant.

It was brilliant. :D

But it really was. And like Greg said, despite the big events it's, as all great Who, firmly rooted in the characters. It ended up in a very sweet yet subdued ending, very well done. And at the very end we got a couple of hints that Moffatt's story arc ideas are not going to be limited to one year, there's still stuff floating out there. I like.

I'm really glad the

Omega

rumor I saw turned out to be complete bollocks. And I'm also happy that

Rory is sticking around, I've gotten to really like him.

Just curious Greg, what was the Amy rumor you saw that turned out not to be true?

I did notice one bit of speculation turned out to be true. The scene in one of the Angels episodes where the doctor walks away, then suddenly has his jacket on. I think it was officially shrugged off as a continuity error, but it was indeed some serious forward thinking by Moffatt!

I did start to lose the plot a bit, and I can't get my head around the idea that

the doc gets out of the pandorica by his future self giving Rory the screwdriver... but how did he get to his future in the first place?

. The whole time travel concept, and how it all related to the 'bang' in question got confusing.

Also, did anyone feel that the ending (Amy's 'remembering' in particular) was a bit of a cop out? They can just put a character in a certain time/place whenever it fits the story need? I wasn't very convinced by that. Also, the final 'embracing' scene before

the doc flies the pandorica into the tardist

barely worked for me, because guess what, we know another series is coming! It's like threatening to kill Jack halfway thru a season of 24... pointless.

Overall, only two episodes felt like a waste of time (Daleks and Venice) so it's been an excellent series. Look forward to the Xmas special :D

Well. What a great end to the series! Matt Smith has absolutely blown me away. Thrilled the "jacket" mystery from the Angels episode was finally resolved. Amazing acting all round! The direction in the pre-credits museum scene was truly magical, and rather sinister. Loved it.

I too am curious to hear what you originally thought was going to happen to Amy, Greg.

Here are some short reviews of the last season, made before watching the final episode.

The 11th Hour.

Smashing season opener, great into for both Matt Smith and Karen "red hair is hot" Gillian.

The story is nothing new. The plot is similar to The Christmas Invasion, and the concept of The Doctor meeting a women throughout various stages of her life comes from The Girl in the Fireplace.

But pretty much everything in the episode works.

The style feels different from the RTD years, but only slightly.

Music is again good, but also very upfront. I like the new theme, but it does sound a bit generic.

The final grandstanding scene were the Doctor faces the "eye-ball" aliens is marvelous.

I love the way a crack in a bedroom wall can become so scary.

Like Micky in Rose, Rory drives a Mini. In the Who world mayvbe that's a sight of a slightly emasculated boyfriend.

The Beast Below.

Nice follow up. Definatly a chance in the look of the series. Moffat seems to favor a more antique, retro style

The concept of a "street-wise" Liz 10 is hilarious. En those puppets are frightening.

The final resolution is clever, but I did see it coming.

Victory of the Daleks

Not bad, if you don't take it to seriously. The Daleks in WWII disguise looked great, and there are some marvelous special effects.

The portrayal of Winston was rather a let down though. He stayed very one-dimensional.

I'm geussing they were doing their Dalek ep so soon just to get it out of the way, so they can focus on their more interesting ideas. (Apparently the BBC insists on having Daleks in the show)

I like the new look of the "fresh" daleks.

The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone

Like RTD, Moffat is no stranger to dense plotting and over the to action,

Love some of the concepts, like an image of an Angel becoming an Angel (i guess this is now they multiply). and the Church becoming military (again).

River Song is rather different then her first appearance in season 4, but she adds to the mystery and texture of this 2 parter.

The Angels, like in Blink, are terryfying.

The "cracks" in the universe are the big arc of the season. Apparently they are also there to erase certain elements of the RTD years Moffat does not want retained. (the Cyberking robot, Daleks flying all over a re-located earth)

Amy trying to snog The Doctor caused a bit of a stir, but it looked harmless, and is in character more the more "flirtatious" Amy

Great 2 parter.

The Vampires of Venice

Not great, but not bad either. Something is missing in this ep.

Some nice interplay between The Doctor, Amy and Rory.

More hints regarding the universe cracks and the silence.

Amy's Choice

Could have been oneof the best of the season (despite the slow pace). But the writer fucked it up.

The Docor figures out pretty soon who The Dreamlord is, and therefore knows real soon he has no power in the real world. Therefore the whole business of chosing between the 2 settings becomes pointless, because The Doctor knows both are a dream. So his actions in this episode become irrelevant and fake.

Low point of the season.

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood

A good 2 parter, but again something seems to be missing. I never get the impression that the fate of the world is in peril.

The homoreptilia are not that interesting to look at. And the situation between the warmongering and the peacefull seemed too black and white. I did love the way The Doctor places high expectations on the fearfull humans, and is really let down.

Rory's apparent death, and Amy forgetting about his existance did not have the impact it should have had.

Vincent and the Doctor

This season was lacking it's big emotional rollercoaster upto this point.

When i started watching this season i quickly noticed that Matt Smith looked a little bit like a young version of Bill Nighty. I guess the producers agreed with me. ;)

And bow ties are cool!

Tony Curran make an excellent Vincent van Goff (???). But his attampt at a Dutch accent is woefull.

All the stuff about catching that giant bird-thing is not so interesting. But everything with Van Goff is. Love they way they brought him to the present time and let him see what his work would eventually mean to people.

The Lodger.

Another one were the plot matters less then the acting. Like Tennants Doctor, Smith's one has a deep love for humanity. But while the 10th Doctor was perfectly capable in interacting with humans for a prolongedc period of time, Smith's Doctor is clue-less.

The highlights come from The Doctor trying to act "normal".

Great comedy episode.

The Pandorica Opens.

What can I say. Simply brilliant.

Fantastic cliff hanger

------------------------------------

Watched the finale.

Breathtaking, very complex, but utterly watcable. And compared to the RTD finales, actually rather small scaled (despite the universe never having existed)

We know The Doctor will come back, but the final scene in little Pond's bedroom should not have workied. But somehow it did. I liked how The Doctor was both saying farewell AND leaving clear imprinted in Amy's memory to remember them on her weddingday.

The big reveal of The Tardis at the ceremony was brilliant

Like RTD's writing, Moffat's can be very, very dense and complex, but it's far more economical. Just compare this 2 parter to The End Of Time.

There is not much that does not need to be there. No billions of versions of The Master, no redundant characters, no Force Lightning stule fighting.

Finally a lone Dalek is dangerous again.

Judging from clues scattered thoughout the series River Song end up killing The Doctor at some point. So most likely it will end up being something different (I pondered the possibility that River Song is altually a future version of the Doctor, gone rogue. :D)

Great that Amy is not retired from the series, great that Rory is coming along. I really love the dynamic between these 3 people.

I hope there will be a Christmas Special.

In the words of the Ninth Doctor...

FANTASTIC!

EDIT

In The Pandorica Opens, several times, we hear a voice saying "Silence will fall"

Sounded like Davros to me.

The Daleks in WWII disguise looked great

"WOULD YOU LIKE SOME TEA?"

You hope and you shall receive.

In The Pandorica Opens, several times, we hear a voice saying "Silence will fall"

Sounded like Davros to me.

I don't think Moff would bring back Davros, especially so soon. A lot of the popular theories on the interwebs are revolving around

Omega or the Valeyard, or possibly the Master again

, and I know you'll have to brush up on your classic Who lore to know who the first two are.

Great video of Steven Moffat's son recording the Moff's reaction immediately after the broadcast of The Big Bang, with some comments on the year's plotlines.

Wowsers. That was much better than I could've anticipated. I was expecting something huge, and while it kinda was, it also kinda wasn't. I can't keep count of all the tiny threads that were put in place throughout the season that paid off in the end. I know many people complained the cracks were overused as a foreshadowing device, but honestly they were almost red herrings to point away from the incredibly crafted other aspects. They made the "buzz words" (a la "Bad Wolf", "Torchwood", "Vote Saxon" etc) and their respective arcs look like they were improvised. I'll just comment on some of the ideas apart from the cracks that were introduced over the season which were used to spectacular effect in the two final eps:

"Victory of the Daleks": What seemed like the obligatory Dalek episode with a thin emotional subplot ended up being so much more. Not only did it restore the Daleks to become an actual threat for the finale, but the idea of Bracewell being an artificial being with human memories perfectly set up Rory's return and his similar personal battle - and to top it off it was Amy who helped both of those "men" remember who they were.

"Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone": I was worried that the two Doctors/jacket thing actually was just wishful thinking, but then the whole idea of the Doctor rewinding through his own personal timeline happened and it all fell into place. I honestly probably wouldn't have picked it up if it wasn't for the constant fan talk about it. I almost wish I hadn't heard about it, only to be blown away when the revelation was made. Still, that bit gave me shivers. Also can't leave out Eleven's monologue about putting him in traps and how much of a monumentally bad idea that is...

"Amy's Choice" is a bit more complex to analyse in retrospect. I think there was some subtle focus on memories (and Amy's in particular), highlighting their later importance.

Some of the more general ideas: Perception and vision played a huge part throughout the whole season. Perception filters (Prisoner Zero/the Saturnynians/the second floor etc), blinking (Angels), visions (Vincent) and so on. Also the Doctor being thrown off by focusing on the obvious while missing the little things came up numerous times, culminating in the Pandorica trap itself. The house that was too big for Amy... Of course! What a terrifying thought - that her whole family except her aunt were all erased from time with barely a memory of them. I could go on but there's so much more...

I've heard that the "silence" is actually next season's arc, and with the promise of more River and the revelation of the mysterious force controlling the TARDIS it seems like the plotting is denser than I could have ever imagined. Again, wow.

Tony Curran make an excellent Vincent van Goff (???). But his attampt at a Dutch accent is woefull.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Curran used his natural Scottish accent. Hence the joke when he asked Amy if she was Dutch too.

There definitely will be. It said so after the credits!

"Victory of the Daleks": What seemed like the obligatory Dalek episode with a thin emotional subplot ended up being so much more. Not only did it restore the Daleks to become an actual threat for the finale, but the idea of Bracewell being an artificial being with human memories perfectly set up Rory's return and his similar personal battle - and to top it off it was Amy who helped both of those "men" remember who they were.

Hmmm...but the fake romans and Rory are made by the Nescene, as seen in "Rose". They even have the same hand/gun as in the first ep of the revamped series.

Rory is probably NOT a robot, even though he is plastic.

OK now the season is over. What can we say are the big differences between the RTD years and Moffat's first?

Hmmm...but the fake romans and Rory are made by the Nescene, as seen in "Rose". They even have the same hand/gun as in the first ep of the revamped series.

Rory is probably NOT a robot, even though he is plastic.

Yes but the idea was similar - it was an echo of a situation. Bracewell was created by the Daleks to destroy Earth unwillingly, just as Rory was created by the Nestene to destroy the Doctor/Amy unwillingly. Both fight off their programming (Bracewell the more successful one, as he never kills anyone) as Amy lovingly reminds them of their humanity, despite it being an illusion.

Hmmm, the differences between showrunners... It's a very different show for me now but I feel that it's been a very gradual process over the season, as I expected it would be. Well there's the fact that the show has a distinct "fairytale" tone now, set up beautifully in The Eleventh Hour with young Amy and carried over with the Pandorica and the finale. There's a distinct feel of magic about the show now, which was not really present during the RTD era.

I also feel like the threat of the various villains in the new series has more impact. For instance, the lone Cyberman and Dalek in the two-part finale actually had me feeling tense. It helped enormously that their presence helped create the atmosphere of their respective scenes rather than work against them, as was a common problem in RTD's day.

Less certainly is more for the Moff, and although the stakes are up there with Davros' reality bomb plan in terms of scope the execution of the Pandorica/Cracks story was far more personal and emotional for the Doctor than any reunion with Davros and the popular companions was.

Great finale! The best one since the series came back in 2005. Matt and Karen were excellent as usual. The writing was smart, clever, funny, everything a DW script should be. I loved that most of the plot strands were resolved, and that a few were left open for next year. The way the Doctor plants the seeds for his return... just amazingly brilliant. I didn't want this series to end! Man, 6 months til Christmas is gonna be forever...

Some ruminations.

Is it me, or in this season does River Song seem like a female verion of Jack Harkness now? Dangerous, flirtatious, full of secrets and able to do things the Doctors morality does not allow him to do?

Maybe I missed it, but what actually caused The Tardis to explode?

I did not catch this untill I saw the Confidential episode. But Rory being a nurse is actually because he tried to be a Doctor, like Amy's imaginary friend, and failed.

Isn't it great how FEW recurring characters there were thoughout the season? The writing under Moffat is far more economical then under RTD.

The lensflare used during the moment in The 11th Hour, when The Doctor asks Amy to trust him for 20 minutes is probably the best lens flare ever.

The new action theme, that runs all though the season. I like it, it's been running though my head for 2 weeks. But I'm not sure it actually fits Doctor Who.

Maybe I missed it, but what actually caused The Tardis to explode?

Nope, you didn't miss it. That #1 on the list of questions Moffat's apparently saving for next year.

I don't think Moff would bring back Davros, especially so soon.

but it DOES sound like Davros.

Less certainly is more for the Moff, and although the stakes are up there with Davros' reality bomb plan in terms of scope the execution of the Pandorica/Cracks story was far more personal and emotional for the Doctor than any reunion with Davros and the popular companions was.

I find this finale far more satifying because Moffat does not try to force a lot of redundant characters into the plot. (Why was Jacky Tyler in the season 4 finale? Why was Mickey? Why was Sarah Jane and that kid?)

Also unlike many of the big RTD climaxes, the one we saw in The Big Bang was well prepared. We saw Amy Pond slowly regaining her full memories of Rory, despite him being erased from time. So when she does it again for The Doctor, there is a precedent.

I'm glad the two Geoffrey Burgon scores are in that list. Two extremely beautiful and eerie scores. It doesn't hurt that Terror of the Zygons and Seeds of Doom are two of my all time favourite stories either. But then again, I'm sure the scores have a lot to do with that.

I wouldn't have The Sea Devils on there. Yes, it was experimental and unique, but a lot of it was a misfire to me. I would have thought there'd be more Dudley Simpson on the list, especially something with his wonderful Master theme from the character's first season (it is in the honorable mentions). City of Death is one of his best, it should be on there. There's also a few of my favorite 80s scores that aren't mentioned anywhere there: Logopolis, The Five Doctors, and The Two Doctors.

City of Death is one of his best, it should be on there.

Agreed. The "running around the Paris streets" theme is marvellous. Gives a real "vacation" feel to Doctor Who which is very refreshing.

Yes, I love those cues. They also make what would otherwise have been a very long and boring sequence of street walking into something perfectly watchable.

Best: "Amy's Choice"-the only truly "grown up" episode in the entire charade. Toby Jones was brilliant.

"Vincent And The Doctor"-a good layman's introduction to the subject of mental illness. Tony Curran (again) was brilliant.

Worst: everything else. This series was not quite a complete turd, but it wasn't far off it.

Best: "Vincent and the Doctor", runner-up "The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang"

Least Favorite: "Victory of the Daleks", runner-up "The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood"

Overall, I feel more satisfied with this season as a whole than I ever did with an RTD season. Possibly because the finale was actually built up to, instead of just a word or phrase dropped in the other episodes of the season willy-nilly.

Or maybe I'm just biased because of Amy. ;)

Worst: everything else. This series was not quite a complete turd, but it wasn't far off it.

;)

I'm waiting to watch in on Blu to form close to final opinions, but for now:

Best: The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang

Worst: Amy's Choice

Other favorites: The Eleventh Hour, Time of Angels/Flesh and Blood, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger. I think I also enjoyed Victory of the Daleks more than most here, and elsewhere, but I can't help it, I love me some Daleks. Even if I like the new design less and less, and I think the majority is with me there, especially the color scheme.

I did like it to a degree, just not as much as everything else this year. There was just something about the story that felt rushed and not quite complete. And although creepy old folks falls right into the "everyday things made scary" Who creed, there's just something in the execution that didn't quite work. Still, it did have some good Amy/Rory moments.

That being said the whole year is a bit of a blur to me, I'll be able to be more concrete when I'm able to watch properly.

I loved it up untill the revelation that the dreams were caused by some Space Pollum and The Doctor knew all along both realities were a dream. It made everything he did in the episode, the fear he showed, fake.

An example of a writer screwing up in the last minute.

I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that. When they have 2 'realities', the doctor's judgement is panicked and clouded and he's not thinking logically. As soon as the 'fake' reality is destroyed, the panic is over, and he makes some rational observations about the cold-burning star and makes that decision.

And figuring out who the dream lord is, and that pollen stuff, there's plenty of time after he's destroyed the 2nd reality for him to work that stuff out.

However, all of this is just what I remembered from one viewing of the episode so I may be wrong...

The story twist I don't understand is that if the 'future' doctor gives Rory the screwdriver to let him out, how did the doctor get to his own future in the first place?

The story twist I don't understand is that if the 'future' doctor gives Rory the screwdriver to let him out, how did the doctor get to his own future in the first place?

After he was released from the Pandorica, the Doctor later used the vortex manipulator to go back in time to Rory to give him the screwdriver so Rory could free him from the Pandorica.

Yeah, it's a bit of a cheat.

But I still don't get why this confuses people so much, sorry.