The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

All the Strange, Strange Creatures was used for the reveal of the Master race. I believe it was a reworking of it, but just more hyped up if my memory serves.

I've had a brief skim, and it all seems pretty good. The one piece I wanted from Planet of the Dead where they step out of the bus for the first time, is there.

I don't know The End of Time well enough to know if anything major is missing.

All the Strange, Strange Creatures was used for the reveal of the Master race. I believe it was a reworking of it, but just more hyped up if my memory serves.

It was an awesome new arrangement of it, yes.

Isn't the track "Final Days" the reveal of the Master Race? It's bloody incredible, with the reveal of the Timelords at the end. I think it's my favourite track so far.

From what I've read about the CD it should be, yes.

I can't wait to pick this and the Series 5 disc up, whenever they make it to this side of the Atlantic.

OK, just a...theoretical question: where should the two bonus tracks go in chrono presentation? The Cyberleader Runs Amok I would think should be before or after The March of the Cybermen, but what about Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly? Is that from The End of Time?

OK, just a...theoretical question: where should the two bonus tracks go in chrono presentation? The Cyberleader Runs Amok I would think should be before or after The March of the Cybermen, but what about Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly? Is that from The End of Time?

I was wondering that myself. Not sure about the Cyberleader Runs Amok track placement. But I do think Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly is indeed from The End of Time, and I'm thinking it's from somewhere during the part where the Doctor and Wilf and the two green aliens fly the Red Dwarf bug... I mean the Vinvocci spaceship to the final confrontation in the mansion. But I'm not 100% sure.

I did finish listening to it, and I have a hard time with the placement of the second version of "Vale" between "Vale Decem" and "The New Doctor". I didn't have the booklet with me so I'm not sure what Murray's blurb about it is, but it just doesn't feel like it goes there at all, does it? From watching the end of "End of Time" numerous times, I'm pretty sure musically "Vale Decem" flows right into "The New Doctor". So I have no idea where that second "Vale" (or the first for that matter) really come from.

I do kinda wish the "Song for Ten (Reprise)" had been in the final cut, sounded like from Murray's notes on that one that Julie Gardner nixed it in favor of Rose's Theme again (I'm guessing in the Rose cameo scene).

I'm fairly sure the first half of "Vale" (the version near the end of the disc) is first heard at the end of "Waters of Mars". Not sure about the second half of it though (which I personally don't like).

So I've listened to the whole set a couple of times, and while I enjoyed a lot of it I can't help feeling that Gold's music for the last year or so of Tennant's run was way over the top, much like the show itself. "Vale Decem" starts off nicely but then hurls off into pure bombast, with no real direction in its structure. I couldn't stand "Lithuania" while watching "Planet of the Dead" (though that whole episode was dubious), and I just can't get into the comedy music ("Wilf's Wiggle" and "Minnie Hooper"); it's just too wacky to enjoy listening to. I had the same problem with Donna's theme in season 4.

I loved Tennant and RTD, but after seeing the new season with Moffat and Smith it really puts things in perspective. It all got a bit melodramatic in the end, what with the bloated plots and visuals and the deafening music that smacked you in the face. Not to mention Ten's general attitude to his own regeneration, throwing tantrums and yelling in that Tennant way. Compare that with the Doctor at the end of "The Big Bang" as he says goodbye to Amelia before being consumed by a crack; a tired old man choosing to sacrifice himself with dignity. it's slightly jarring to watch the episodes close together.

That said, there's some cracking music on the release, and despite my general comments about the bombast, "Final Days" gives me shivers every time. The horror material from "Waters of Mars" is great, as is the "Next Doctor" Christmas stuff.

I'm very much looking forward to the release of season 5's music, which I enjoyed a lot while watching the show.

But I do think Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly is indeed from The End of Time, and I'm thinking it's from somewhere during the part where the Doctor and Wilf and the two green aliens fly the Red Dwarf bug... I mean the Vinvocci spaceship to the final confrontation in the mansion. But I'm not 100% sure.

That's what I was thinking too.

Not to mention Ten's general attitude to his own regeneration, throwing tantrums and yelling in that Tennant way.

I liked that arc. I thought it was different and more than a little gutsy, and it worked for that Doctor's character, since he was fully on his own and in control without the Time Lords looking over his shoulder ready to smack him down at a moment's notice. Though I do agree with you about Moffat and the 11th Doctor.

Received mine today....bummed that yet again people who buy inferior quality downloads get a couple of extras rather than us who shell out on the shiny disc - but I guess that's the choice we make....

Enjoying it....a lot!

Through the first disc. The biggest omission so far to me is a big one, I'm very disappointed the Time Lord Victorious cue from The Waters of Mars is not on the set- the big one from when the Doctor decides to go back and the final escape from the base.

And before anyone asks, yes I will be purchasing the set, but since it's not going to be available over here for the foreseeable future, I have no problem with getting an...early sample. :P

Yeah, of all the music, that is one of the things that I was looking forward to. To me that was the best of the specials by a mile and it seems to have gotten the short end of the straw on this release. ;)

That would be wonderful, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. The biggest restoration project outside the norm that I know of has been the recolorization of The Mind of Evil.

I'm surprised that Day of the Daleks has taken so long to get a release. A lot of Pertwee stories have been held back due to the condition they're in, but that's not one of them, it's been fully intact in the archives since first transmission IIRC.

I'm holding out for Invasion of the Dinosaurs....the restoration team have been plugging away at it (so I'm told) since it was first mentioned to them after their first attempt at CGI enhancements...the technology is there (though IIRC there was a major problem with the first episode - I don't think they are able to rescue the colour from the print they have in the same way as MoE) - it would just be a case of money and time......they've had the time - I wonder if they've had the money too?

Seems reasonable to assume Day of the Daleks. The Dalek-y font in the teaser suggests Daleks. There was some buzz a while back about Nick Briggs having recorded the dialogue to redub all the Dalek dialogue in Day of the Daleks (I think there was a clip of it in an extra on a recent DVD release). I could see a "Special Edition" consiting of redubbed Dalek dialogue, maybe some added CGI Daleks for the attack on the conference, maybe more tweaks.

But if that's what this is, the level of promotion about it kinda surprises me. And that "new dimension" statement still throws me a bit. I doubt it'll be anything involving 3D, but who knows.

Guess we'll find out soon!

There was some buzz a while back about Nick Briggs having recorded the dialogue to redub all the Dalek dialogue in Day of the Daleks (I think there was a clip of it in an extra on a recent DVD release). I could see a "Special Edition" consiting of redubbed Dalek dialogue...

Ooh, I hadn't heard that. I like this idea, as long as the original version is on there too (which it will be). I remember Day being a bit weak in the Dalek voice department since it was the first one in a while.

And that "new dimension" statement still throws me a bit. I doubt it'll be anything involving 3D, but who knows.

Well Day does involve an alternate timeline, that could be taken as an alternate dimension in current multiverse theory (see the new Star Trek). But I've heard the 3D rumors too, what a waste of time an money if that turns out to be true.

Awesome! And even better now that 2 Entertain and BBC Worldwide are finally coordinating simultaneous UK and US releases starting next year.

Other DVD announcements were made as well: there will be a second "Revisitations" (as in, double dip) box set featuring Carnival of Monsters, Resurrection of the Daleks, and a third unannounced title. Also production is about to start on another poor quality but much loved Pertwee story, The Deamons, expected to be released in late '11 or early '12.

Carnival of Monsters I can understand, but Resurrection of the Daleks? The first Resurrection DVD was packed full of extras! Surely Robots of Death or Spearhead From Space would make better Revisitations fodder. I'll probably be buying all the Revisitations sets anyway, but I hope they don't start re-releasing stories that were well-enough served in their original release.

The first Resurrection DVD was packed full of extras!

I thought the same thing about Weng-Chiang, but they managed to pack it even more full.

I'm hoping this doesn't become too much of a regular thing. I've already double dipped for the SE of Remembrance of the Daleks and will be for Androzani with the first revisitations set. I actually stopped buying the older releases that I hadn't picked up yet a while ago just in case they eventually get redone.

The Remembrance set was worth picking up (especially for £6.00 or so from Amazon.co.uk), although I could have done without the "History of Davros" on disc 2. Only really of interest to people who consider the audio adventures canon.

Did anyone watch "Single Father" last Sunday night?

Has anyone seen "Rex Is Not Your Lawyer"?

No and no.

I did see that brief clip of Rex a few months back when it popped up onto the net. Was not impressed. Felt extremely awkward, maybe partly due to DT's American accent, which, while not terrible, was very distracting knowing what he normally sounds like (both as the Doctor and not as the Doctor). Based on that clip I wouldn't have watched the show. I know that's not giving it much of a chance, but I was not convinced at all.

It's not been mentioned on here yet so I thought I'd do the honours...

Here is the confirmed tracklisting for Doctor Who Series 5, two disc set due to be released on 8th November.

DISC ONE

1. Doctor Who XI

THE ELEVENTH HOUR

2. Down To Earth

3. Little Amy

4. Fish Custard

5. Can I Come With You?

6. Little Amy: The Apple

7. The Sun's Gone Wibbly

8. Zero

9. I Am The Doctor

10. The Mad Man With A Box

11. Amy In The TARDIS

THE BEAST BELOW

12. The Beast Below

13. Amy's Theme

14. A Lonely Decision

VICTORY OF THE DALEKS

15. A Tyrannical Menace

16. Victory Of The Daleks

17. Battle In The Sky

THE TIME OF ANGELS / FLESH AND STONE

18. River's Path

19. The Time Of Angels

THE VAMPIRES OF VENICE

20. I Offer You My Daughter

21. Chicken Casanova

22. Signora Rosanna Calvierri

23. Cab For Amy Pond

24. The Vampires Of Venice

AMY'S CHOICE

25. Wedded Bliss

26. The Dream

THE HUNGRY EARTH / COLD BLOOD

27. Rio de Cwmtaff

28. The Silurians

DISC TWO

VINCENT AND THE DOCTOR

1. Paint

2. Vincent

3. Hidden Treasures

4. A Troubled Man

5. With Love, Vincent

THE LODGER

6. Adrift In The TARDIS

7. Friends And Neighbours

8. Doctor Gastronomy

9. You Must Like It Here

10. A Useful Striker

11. A Painful Exchange

12. Kiss The Girl

13. Thank You Craig

THE PANDORICA OPENS / THE BIG BANG

14. River Runs Through It

15. Away On Horseback

16. Beneath Stonehenge

17. Who Else Is Coming

18. Amy And Rory

19. The Pandorica

20. Words Win Wars

21. The Life And Death Of Amy Pond

22. Amy's Starless Life

23. Into The Museum

24. This Is Where It Gets Complicated

25. Roman Paradox

26. The Patient Centurion

27. The Same Sonic

28. Honey I'm Home

29. The Perfect Prison

30. A River Of Tears

31. The Sad Man With A Box

32. You And Me, Amy

33. The Big Day

34. I remember You

35. Onwards!

http://silvascreenblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/doctor-who-series-5-tracklisting.html

So thats 4 disc's of Gold's 'Who' music in 2 months. Looks like this set will contain everything significant from Smith's first season. Loving the new 2 disc approach to releasing this music :lol:

I'm very happy they decided to make this a 2 Disc set. I really liked the Doctor's theme that Gold came up with and I can't wait to hear some different variations of it. Wish there was some more music from the middle of the series, but its hard to argue.

Another 2-disc set and another near-complete release of a finale. Superb.

There's been some other big Who news lately: for the first time ever, Who will have full cast principal filming in the US. The first two eps of series 6 will be a 2 parter set in Utah. Also, the upcoming Sarah Jane ep featuring guest appearances from the Doctor and Jo Grant, Death of the Doctor, is apparently set to rewrite the rules on regenerations.

Hooray, so long as they explain it! It would be a bit of a big pill to swallow if they just ignore previous mention of the matter. How about the gift the Timelords were going to give the Master in the 5 Doctors. They were going to give him a complete new set of regenerations. Wonder if there's some way that could happen. Or even just have a throwaway line:

The Doctor: "I was only supposed to have 13 lives, but the in the final days of the time war the Timelords bestowed the gift of unlimited regenerations on a few select Timelords in a desperate attempt to secure victory against the Daleks. I was one of those "lucky" chosen ones. Sometimes I wish the gift had been given to someone else..."

From what I hear,

it's not really "rewriting the rules"... rather basically just throwing away the rules.

Oh, and yes, Murray Gold confirmed on Twitter that "Doctor XI" is the Series 5/31 theme.

I'm sure there's a handy Time War based explanation, and as you said James, there is a precedent in The Five Doctors. Of course, there's also a precedent in the same story that immortality was "impossible" for a Time Lord, only Rassilon achieved it. Maybe his secret was used for the Time War.

I also think that, as usual, the press reports are only so accurate. Wait and see what's actually done in the ep.

Another 2-disc set and another near-complete release of a finale. Superb.

There's been some other big Who news lately: for the first time ever, Who will have full cast principal filming in the US. The first two eps of series 6 will be a 2 parter set in Utah. Also, the upcoming Sarah Jane ep featuring guest appearances from the Doctor and Jo Grant, Death of the Doctor, is apparently set to rewrite the rules on regenerations.

Ooh, er. Utah. Does this mean we might get to see Henry van Statten, again?

"I am Henry van Statten, now RECOGNISE ME!" I like him; he reminds me of me. Of course, if I tried that, my mind would be wiped, and I'd end up on a road to Swindon, Southampton, somewhere beginning with "S"... ;)

A couple of years back it seemed that every other Who DVD was being released with optional new CGI effects. They seem to have stopped doing it so regularly, maybe because the quality of these special effects was often a bit dodgy, and hardly much of an upgrade from the original (the Castle blowing up at the end of The Time Warrior is a good example of the "rushed" CGI effects). I wonder if they are choosing which stories to apply the effects to more selectively, and then spending longer on them to get them right? The effects in that trailer certainly look amazing. Day of the Daleks never really blew me away as a story when I first saw it, but now I can't wait for this release!

A couple of years back it seemed that every other Who DVD was being released with optional new CGI effects. They seem to have stopped doing it so regularly, maybe because the quality of these special effects was often a bit dodgy, and hardly much of an upgrade from the original (the Castle blowing up at the end of The Time Warrior is a good example of the "rushed" CGI effects). I wonder if they are choosing which stories to apply the effects to more selectively, and then spending longer on them to get them right? The effects in that trailer certainly look amazing. Day of the Daleks never really blew me away as a story when I first saw it, but now I can't wait for this release!

I remember that The Doctor praises a particular wine. I can't remember exactly what he says (help me out, please, Pixie, Gregg) but it's priceless.

"A very good vintage, one after my own hearts." Something like that. It's Pertwee in pure snob mode. :lol:

Really cool casting news: Mark Sheppard (Badger on Firefly, Romo Lamkin on Galatica, plus numerous other "genre" roles including 24 IIRC) will be playing a major role in the US based opening 2-parter.

Den of Geek is full of praise for next week's new RTD-penned Doctor Who ep disguised as a Sarah Jane outing, Death of the Doctor:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/641539/the_sarah_jane_adventures_series_4_episodes_5_6_spoilerfree_review_death_of_the_doctor.html

I had the VHS version of Shada. It's got this reputation since it was never finished, but I've always found it to be not that great, especially for a Douglas Adams script. Lots of good Funny Tom moments, though. I wonder how they'll fill in the missing bits.

Lots of other DVD news on there: The Troughton story The Seeds of Death (not to be confused with the Tom story The Seeds of Doom) will be the third title in the second Revisitations set along with Carnival of Monsters and Resurrection of the Daleks. So only 1 out of 3 will be a double dip for me, just like the first set. It was also confirmed that David Tennant recorded a commentary track for Resurrection. Awesome! He's part of a new Who "hidden" commentary on the anniversary release of The Five Doctors and it's wonderful.

New Doctor Who today too! Looking forward to when it.

It was also confirmed that David Tennant recorded a commentary track for Resurrection. Awesome! He's part of a new Who "hidden" commentary on the anniversary release of The Five Doctors and it's wonderful.

I think Tennant only is in the documentary on the Resurrection release, not the commentary.

Hall confirmed that The Resurrection of the Daleks will contain a documentary fronted by Tenth Doctor David Tennant

Still, nifty! ;)

Also looking forward to "Death of the Doctor" today. Saw a very brief clip of it the other day, and just seeing the Eleventh Doctor even for a few seconds again was such a huge delight! Matt Smith is wonderful!

Too bad they couldn't have shoe-horned Amy Pond into the episode. Can never have enough Karen Gillan... :)

Yeah, the new Who CDs are mixed awfully loudly.

The first disc of the specials release is just so-so, nothing there has really impressed me yet. But I'm loving The End of Time. BTW, I'm fairly certain now that Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly should go right after Speeding to Earth, it's the rest of that sequence.

I've found the first half of "A Victorian Christmas" stuck in my head quite a bit lately. Not that that's a bad thing (I can always get rid of a song stuck in my head by "playing" the main theme from Back to the Future in my head... the BTTF song isn't then stuck in my head, it just kicks out the other song that is stuck... Yeah, I'm weird, sue me...).

Really looking forward to the Series 5 CD. Kind of like I was looking forward to Series 5 more than the "Specials".

Hope to be able to watch the SJA "Death of the Doctor" episodes tonight before bed. :)

Death of the Doctor was good. People will accuse it of being a giant pointless fanwank, and it mostly is, but on a series like SJA rather than Who proper you can get away with it. Katy Manning is wonderful coming back as Jo, and she gets an absolute pitch-perfect entrance.

It's an RTD script, and it's got most everything that people both love and hate him for. But what I think he does best he does again wonderfully in this story- the soft character moments, which here are a couple of back to back conversations with the Doctor and Sarah, then the Doctor and Jo early in part 2 that are just wonderful. Best things in the whole story.

I personally greatly enjoyed "Death of the Doctor". It's the best thing RTD's written since "The Waters of Mars". It's well written, logical and lacks the painful Deux Ex Machinas and irrelevant plot threads that all but ruined "The End of Time".

Gosh, I rewatched TEOT shortly after all of Moffat's season 5 and it was jarringly incoherent. Murray's music was also WAY TOO LOUUUUDDDD (except for "Final Days" which has to be turned up to 11, it's so damned good).

Looking forward to the season 5 music release though.