The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I think all the Who albums are mixed loudly, but the first one takes the cake. Particularly the main theme - I can still hear that clearly if I turn the volume nearly all the way down. I think maybe the first season being mostly synth has a part to play.

The only issue at all I have with the special CD is the ordering of some cues. Two tracks named 'Vale' and one 'Vale Decem', and one of the 'Vale' tracks is not placed well storywise for the ending.

Yeah, I created a playlist for The End of Time that puts in the opening and closing titles, and shoves Vale to the end as a bonus track, Vale Decem is the version heard in the ep. And for the record my favorite cue is The Time Lords' Last Stand, Murray nails the tension strings there. Love The Master Suite too, but that's more a compilation that actual cue.

If Decem means 10, why is December the 12th month?

Some timey-wimey calendar shift thing. Nov=9=November, Oct=8=October, Sept=7=September, etc.

December was also the tenth month in the Roman calendar until a monthless winter period was divided between January and February.

Thanks, Wikipedia! :lol:

Had a Seeds of Doom DVD marathon over the weekend with some chums. That story never fails to blow me away. The acting, the script, the music, and some of classic Who's bravest and most successful effects. Episode 4 in particular is a magnificent piece of classic horror for kids. When this was first shown it scared the crap out of me. Even now it sends a tingle down my spine.

Lots of gnashing of teeth over the Season 5 soundtrack release....those who have been able to get hold of preview copies or have already taken delivery (lucky bastards!) etc are complaining of a rather big error in a much-anticipated track....Murray Gold is apparently on the case with Silva but looks like a bit of a cock-up...

I didn't know about the choir thing - that's news to me - the much-reported problem I was referring to is a "skip" - a second or two (depending on who you read) of silence in the middle of the track.

I've heard the track in question. There's a skip towards the end of the track. A phrase comes to its end, there's a moment of silence(no more than a second or so) then it cuts back mid-note during the big brass finish. I don't there's more than a second of music missing but it's noticeable and annoying.

I didn't know about the choir thing - that's news to me - the much-reported problem I was referring to is a "skip" - a second or two (depending on who you read) of silence in the middle of the track.

Hmm...there version I hear has no such skip in I Am The Doctor.

The version I have is identical to the version played at the Proms (apart from a few orchestrations differences), but it cuts of just before the big choral chanting heard at 3.50.

My link

Maybe it's somewere else on the CD, but I don't think so.

I've been listening to the whole set since it leaked while waiting for my copy to arrive, and there's a few appalling cuts that I have noticed. The single moment I wanted above everything else was the last few seconds of "The Eleventh Hour" as the camera pans across Amelia's room and reveals her wedding dress. The cue "Amy In the TARDIS" gets as far as the quirky woodwind motif we hear as we see Amelia's pictures and home-made Raggety Doctor toys and then inexplicably cuts to a low (and fake sounding) trombone note. Colour me upset, as that final statement of the 7-note Doctor motif with a clean cut-off doesn't appear anywhere else on the album.

Apart from that (and the aforementioned "I Am The Doctor" debacle), it's a great release.

My only hope is that the final CD rectifies the major problems. My understanding is that the score was released onto the iTunes Store early (specifically the Australian store I believe, though I didn't see it for myself) and has since been pulled. Maybe it was because of the glitches, or maybe just that it wasn't supposed to be up yet. Either way, I hope the final product is intact.

Well, I'm a couple of eps into my new Blu copy of Series 5. Loving it, and my main thought is that it's just amazing how little break in time Matt Smith needed for the role, even less than Eccleston. He is the Doctor right from the first frame. Just remarkable.

That too, and that's in no way a slight to Tennant.

The first "missing" scene between eps 1 & 2 was quite a lot of fun. You can tell it was recorded much later because the chemistry between Smith and Gillian is just sizzling. I'm looking forward to the second one, apparently the Doctor tells Amy all about his past companions.

Any word on when we can expect the Series 5 soundtrack on this side of the big blue pond?

[edit] Wow can't believe this is my first post in this thread. ;-)

Legally, officially? They haven't announced it yet, AFAIK. Odd, that. We did get the Specials CD roughly a month later than the UK, so I would guess about the same lag. Would've been ideal to release it same day as the Series 5 DVD was released here, but then that would make sense and we all know sense is a foreign concept for most companies.

You can still order it from places like amazon.co.uk, but of course then you have higher shipping costs, etc. It's not like it's a region-coding thing.

I've heard the 'fixed' I am the Doctor on spotify and that choral chant bit isn't there? Was the glitch just the second of silence near the end, and the chanting actually is missing from the release?

I'm waiting until Silva have it in stock at their site. I want to make sure I'm buying the fix version.

Any word on when we can expect the Series 5 soundtrack on this side of the big blue pond?

The Specials CD was officially released over here yesterday, so I'm thinking just before Christmas or early next year.

No more worries there, as long as you have BBC America I think the airings are going to be pretty much simultaneous from now on. Of course they were only a few weeks apart last year, and there's plenty of places to get it online :lol:. BBC America is even co-producing the opening 2 parter for Series 6 since it has a US shoot.

Anyone know where the 2 bonus tracks for the Series 5 set fit chronologically?

It's official: BBC America will be broadcasting the Christmas special (officially titled A Christmas Carol) on Christmas night, mere hours after UK transmission. I'd be shocked if the whole of Series 6 doesn't follow suit.

Good to hear for us in the US. Personally, I didn't have that much of a problem waiting a few weeks, and even though I was tempted with the finale, I waited until it was broadcast. It will be nice watching the Christmas episode on Christmas day.

SO glad they're showing it same day! (Even though I don't have BBC America personally...)

Is this unprecedented? A fictional series episode being shown same day in different countries? I know live events like concerts and sports are obviously shown in different countries at the same time, but a fiction series? (Not counting US-Canada situations, of course.) Not sure I can recall hearing anything similar. A few days apart, yes, but not same day. Which I think they should stick with for Series 6, 7, 8, etc...

I'd be interested in "the Four Doctors", with McGann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith (that is, assuming Smith is still in the role by then, which he will be for a million years).

Not that the multi-doctor episodes were always the best... Still, would be interesting to see how 50 years of the Doctor and the TARDIS will be celebrated.

I'd be interested in "the Four Doctors", with McGann, Eccleston, Tennant and Smith (that is, assuming Smith is still in the role by then, which he will be for a million years).

Not that the multi-doctor episodes were always the best... Still, would be interesting to see how 50 years of the Doctor and the TARDIS will be celebrated.

Eccleston will never, never, N.E.V.E.R. return to "Doctor Who"!!!!

Dimensions in Time Part 2

(god I hope not...)

Ditto.

I'll be watching "City Of Death", with a mate (not a mate; a MATE!), and we will be scoffing our faces with Jelly Babies. 'Nuff said.

Well, good on Eccles for leaving for bigger and better things. That invisible hobo he played on Heroes was a masterstroke.

Tennant's doing well too, he's already got one failed pilot under his belt...

:(

...not to mention "Hamlet", "Single Father" and that Einstein thing with Andy Serkis. Eccleston, on the other hand has done..."Accused". Oh, dear. :(

SO glad they're showing it same day! (Even though I don't have BBC America personally...)

Is this unprecedented? A fictional series episode being shown same day in different countries? I know live events like concerts and sports are obviously shown in different countries at the same time, but a fiction series? (Not counting US-Canada situations, of course.) Not sure I can recall hearing anything similar. A few days apart, yes, but not same day. Which I think they should stick with for Series 6, 7, 8, etc...

The Lost finale was simulcast in various countries along with the US. Had the Monday been a day off in some way, we'd have arranged to be up to see it.

The Lost finale was simulcast in various countries along with the US. Had the Monday been a day off in some way, we'd have arranged to be up to see it.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I usually hear about such things, but I totally missed that one. Maybe because I completely gave up on that show a few years back. :)

I'm glad companies are finally starting to learn how global and connected absolutely everything is, and maybe one day we'll see the elimination of things like region-coding on DVDs. (Yeah, as if...)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I didn't know that. I usually hear about such things, but I totally missed that one. Maybe because I completely gave up on that show a few years back. ;)

I'm glad companies are finally starting to learn how global and connected absolutely everything is, and maybe one day we'll see the elimination of things like region-coding on DVDs. (Yeah, as if...)

Well I think Lost was a special case - they wanted to make an event out of it. I don't think it'll happen again any time soon.

This

of Carpool has some pretty interesting discussion on the subject.

Has anyone got the "New Beginnings 1970 - 1980: vol 2" c.d? What is the "Delaware Version" of the theme? Is it that Australian version? Can anyone help? Greg? Pixie?

In 1972, there was an attempt by Brian Hodgson and Paddy Kingsland, with Delia Derbyshire acting as producer, to modernise the theme tune using the Radiophonic Workshop's modular "Delaware" synthesiser (named after the Workshop's location at Delaware Road). The "Delaware" arrangement, which had a distinct Jew's harp sound, was not well received by BBC executives and was abandoned. The master tapes were given to a fan at the 1983 Longleat celebrations by Hodgson and were never returned. The episodes that used it were redubbed with the old Derbyshire arrangement, but lacking the repeated notes at the beginning of the music. However, the Delaware version was accidentally left on some episodes which were sold to Australia, and survives today in this form. (The complete version of this arrangement of the music is included as an extra on the DVD release of Carnival of Monsters; it is also included on the CD release Doctor Who at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop: Volume 2: New Beginnings 1970-1980.)

Source

It's pretty crappy, IMHO.

Dwin de dwee, dwin de dwee, dwin de dwee, din din dindle dwin de dwee, dwin de dwee...

Yeah, the Beeb brass was right to scrap that one. I seem to remember an old VHS copy of a story that accidentally had that version on a couple of eps. Frontier in Space?

Has anyone got the "New Beginnings 1970 - 1980: vol 2" c.d? What is the "Delaware Version" of the theme? Is it that Australian version? Can anyone help? Greg? Pixie?

In 1972, there was an attempt by Brian Hodgson and Paddy Kingsland, with Delia Derbyshire acting as producer, to modernise the theme tune using the Radiophonic Workshop's modular "Delaware" synthesiser (named after the Workshop's location at Delaware Road). The "Delaware" arrangement, which had a distinct Jew's harp sound, was not well received by BBC executives and was abandoned. The master tapes were given to a fan at the 1983 Longleat celebrations by Hodgson and were never returned. The episodes that used it were redubbed with the old Derbyshire arrangement, but lacking the repeated notes at the beginning of the music. However, the Delaware version was accidentally left on some episodes which were sold to Australia, and survives today in this form. (The complete version of this arrangement of the music is included as an extra on the DVD release of Carnival of Monsters; it is also included on the CD release Doctor Who at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop: Volume 2: New Beginnings 1970-1980.)

Source

It's pretty crappy, IMHO.

Dwin de dwee, dwin de dwee, dwin de dwee, din din dindle dwin de dwee, dwin de dwee...

Thanks for that!

BTW, has anyone noticed that the opening "sting" for "Doctor XI", is the same as the one which is used on "The Trial Of A Timelord"?

My friends and I referred to the Delaware version of the theme as the Tupperware version back when we first heard it (on the BBC video release of Carnival of Monsters). The only good thing about it is that it was so bad it convinced the powers that be to hold onto the original classic version for a few years longer.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the opening "sting" for "Doctor XI", is the same as the one which is used on "The Trial Of A Timelord"?

Not quite. The season 5 version still has the original sting behind it whereas the TOATL was completely different. However, it does have that oscillating thwappy noise which is similar.