The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Watched Silence In The Library/Forests Of The Dead.

It's really a brilliant 2 parter, with an engrossing story, great visuals (the library planet looks so amazing) and a genuinly scary villians. (with the Vashda Nerada, The Weeping Angels and the Silence Moffat really knows how to do scary villians)

The only logic flaw in the plot seems to be that in the computer reality seems to be set in the 21th century, in England, even before Donna gets there. Which seems illogical because CAL, the little girl is from the 50th Century.

Mainly to see the starting point of River Song.

Less of a rogue then she will become in the Moffat era, and a little less flirtatious or violent.

We know at some point The Doctor will completely trust her. According to his comments in the season 6 2-parter, this time has not yet come.

So far they have done the crash in the Byzantium together, but not the picnic in Asgard. River does mention that she and the doctor have been to the End of the Universe, which sorta happend in The Big Bang.

I'm guessing she will feature again in A Good Man Goes To War, seeing as she once said she is in prison for killing a good man.

Can't wait. ;)

I saw The Curse of the Black Spot. I loved it when I saw it, but when I started to think about it it came across as awful. And it makes no sense.

So then I saw The Pandorica Opens. My favourite story out of all the Who I've seen together with the following episode. I love how the Pandorica itself is a mere distraction and it's only purpose is glorifying the Doctor. I like how the heroes spend the majority of the episode without having any idea of what to do in such a situation, and the Indiana Jones feel of some scenes. It's very funny, too. Perfect reintroduction for Rory. Add to this the magnificent score, et voila!

My God...the pirate episode was crap, the worst I've seen since I began following this show in 2005! This just cements my opinion of the Smith/Moffat period. I just can't connect to it. I severely dislike Smith's doctor as well as Moffat's writing style (even though he didn't write the pirate episode, he's still the supervisor).

I miss the Davies/Tennant years, my favourite. Eccleston was OK too.

I've always been very curious about earlier incarnations, though.

I once tried to start from the beginning in the early 60's, but after the first couple of episodes of the Hartnell show (after that stone age thing), I couldn't find any more. I then realized that lots of WHO episodes had been burned and lost forever, so I gave up that project.

I remember tuning into - randomly - a DR. WHO show back in the mid 80's, when it aired on Sky or Super Channell (we were one of the first in our class to get cable). He had curly hair and a long scarf, so probably the Colin Baker years. But I thought it was way too cheap and cheesy, even then (I was 9-10 years old), so I tuned out of it. Untill the 2005 reboot, when I decided to give it another chance. And liked it, much to my surprise.

Toothy guy, with curly hair and a scarf.

I did notice his nose hairs last night, not something that would slip through these days.

BTW, Curse Of The Black Spot was far...far better then some of the RTD era stinkers like Fear Her or The Idiot's Lantarn.

And the less said about Love and Monsters the better.

Sure, Curse of the Black Spot wasn't great, but it wasn't dreadful either. Like the Silurian two-parter last year, it was just... Not that great. I didn't cringe or roll my eyes like I did with the eps Steef and I mentioned, and the acting was far from bad.

Judging from early reviews of the next episode we're in for another strong one. Neil Gaiman + Doctor Who = ....Let's wait and see!

I started watching Series 1 a month ago today.

I'm already caught up and waiting for the next episode.

Matt Smith > David Tennant

I've always been very curious about earlier incarnations, though.

I once tried to start from the beginning in the early 60's, but after the first couple of episodes of the Hartnell show (after that stone age thing), I couldn't find any more. I then realized that lots of WHO episodes had been burned and lost forever, so I gave up that project.

Don't give up! The audio tracks exist for every missing episode, recorded off-air by technically-minded fans in the 60s. These episodes are all being released in CD boxsets, with linking narration provided by actors from the episodes. There will be a total of 5 CD sets covering all missing episodes, of which the third will be released later this year. I've just finished listening through the second set and it's amazing. The stories sound like they were made for radio! Sure, it's no match for the complete visual experience, but it's great to at least hear the original audio for these adventures, and they really work! Here are the links to the sets:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Episodes-Collection-1964-1965/dp/1408467518/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305409491&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Episodes-Collection-1965-1966/dp/1408467526/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305409525&sr=1-4

Just watched The Doctor's Wife. Excellent! Some wonderful performances, and a few rather touching scenes at the end.

Now that was a great Doctor Who episode. Loved a lot of the lines in the story as well as all the references that Gaiman made throughout. My first 5 star episode since The Pandorica Opens.

Very good.

The first time in the revamped series we have seen another part of the TARDIS. Creepy scenes for Amy and Rory.

Very nice interplay between The Doctor and his human Tardis. Suranne Jones was amazing is a role that could have been done wrong so easily.

Michael Sheen as House, What an eerie voice.

The production design for the House planet was a nice nod to the planet from Alien.

The only criticism I have is that there is 9once again) a lot to take in in a short time, and most of it takes place...on the run.

Somehow I expected more of the Ood.

Somehow this series isn't quite grabbing me as much as I was hoping.

I think that perhaps I prefer the stories set on earth because the issues being dealt with are more familiar.

Tardis sequences were pretty clever though, and we saw some real emotion from the Doctor for the first time. A bit surreal actually.

Somehow I expected more of the Ood.

Apparently the original script called for a unique, new alien for Nephew, but budget contraints caused it to become an Ood.

Still, one great line came out of that: "Another Ood I failed to save".

I thought The Doctor's Wife was fantastic. Wonderful to see the interaction between Idris and the Doctor, with the whole history between them, and the emotions involved, just amazing. Nice little throwback to The War Games, and I liked the reference to the Eye of Orion. Matt Smith continues to impress, and I was sold on him from the end of The End of Time Part 2. Loved seeing the "coral" console room (even though my heart of hearts would've loved a classic series console room but I know that was pretty much impossible). The spin about the TARDIS "stealing" the Doctor from her point of view too was really nifty.

My one reservation was the "running around corridors" thing, which felt a bit like padding. It was performed and directed well, it just felt like it added very little.

And did they seriously have to kill Rory again???

Overall a big improvement on the really-quite-average The Curse of the Black Spot.

Do we really only have 3 weeks left til the summer break? :(

I thought the corridors stuff was quite good actually. It let you see what Amy thinks Rory has hidden deep inside towards her and it makes you question if this will play a role later on in the series. Plus, it enabled corridors to be built so now Moffat can add scenes of them walking around the TARDIS which they've been hinting at since Rory came aboard.

Ouch! Curse of the Black Spot was really quite poor, wasn't it? Overly simplistic plot with OTT silliness, and a completely unsatisfying resolution. The only good thing about it was the lovely Lily Cole. The three principle cast members were all uncharacteristically cringeworthy. Their "chummy" camaraderie and antics was more annoying that entertaining, and came across as being very forced and slapstick. After this episode (and the overly complex and unsatisfying opening two-parter) I am starting to get a sinking feeling about this season. So far:

Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon: 7/10

Curse of the Black Spot: 5/10

Come on guys! You are better than this!

:thumbup:

Oh I think you're being way too harsh. It was a fun, standalone adventure episode. Not everything can be a masterstroke of genius plotting. I went in with a view to enjoy myself and that's exactly what I got.

Compared to the likes of "The Shakespeare Code", "The Unicorn and the Wasp" and "Victory of the Daleks" it was positively brilliant.

What are you talking about, you crafty man?! "The Unicon And The Wasp" was brilliant!!

Tom Baker is regarded as the best Doctor, apparently.

No he's not. ;)

As for "The Doctor's Wife"; it was pretty good.

Strange that no-one has mentioned whose voice it was on the Ood message...

I read that on another forum, I may be wrong. I'm not familiar with McGann's work outside of the movie, so I don't really know his voice.

Apparently his audio adventures are outstanding though.

Are you kidding me?

He was the half-human Doctor, right?

It IS Paul McGann's voice on the message. This opens up sooooo many "time war" possibilities.

All that "half-Human" shit is just bollocks, and it's not cannon!

If it is indeed his voice, and if it is more then a cameo then it does indeed open a world of possibilities

He might actually be the "good man" that River Song will kill at some point. I had actually already considered the idea though that it is River who is in the space suit when The Doctor is killid at the lake. I also considered it likely that the little girls was in fact River Song.

Take my word for it - it IS his voice. I have also thought the same as you, Stefan, regarding River Song. "The only water in the forest is the river" is pretty obvious, but then The Moff does like to confound (not to mention confuse) us! I still want to know why River Song says to Tennant "You're so young".

If McGann does return (and I hope that he does!), I hope it's for more than just a "guest star" slot. I get goosbumps whenever I play that message...

If Doctor 8 has survived, how about Doctors 1-7, and 9-10?

It's a very long shot, but are there any SJAs yet to be screened?

Well if you compare Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead with the other River Song stories there are a few problems. Mostly associated with the fact that Tennant got replaced by Smith.

River asking the 10th Doctor if they have done the Fall Of The Byzantium yet now no longer makes sense, since she should have known just by looking at him.

But things like that are unavoidable considering the nature of the show.. Also, the new idea of River and The Doctor meeting in opposite order is not correct. The second time they meet (A Time Of Angels) and the third time (the Pandorica Opens) seem to contradict this, as River knew nothing about the events of the Byzantium when they met again for the Pandorica ep. Also in the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut River was still in Jail. I thought she recieved a pardon at the end of Flesh and Stone. (though I might be wrong)

It's a very long shot, but are there any SJAs yet to be screened?

A few were done before her death, but I doubt there was anything hidden in that. Different showrunners.

But River, at that time should have known the Byzantium happened with the 11th Doctor. Not knowing the exact order of the other versions in not relevant.

Nice chart.

It has been speculated that picknick at Asgard takes place in The Impossible Astronaut. Were they have a picknick in the Valley Of The Gods and The Doctor gets a Viking funeral.

But she might think that Tennant goes after Smith, then she realizes he's "young".

I've heard that around 13 minutes of footage were cut from The Doctor's Wife. Do you think they'll put them back in the dvd/BD?

Maybe River doesn't know the order of the Doctor's different faces.

As for River...

http://i.imgur.com/KeO7F.jpg

What I don't understand is how does River know it's the last time she kisses the Doctor.

By that point it is established that, for whatever reason, each time they meet they have traveled in opposite directions in time. Neither she nor the Doctor understand why this is happening, but they both recognise that it seems to be a fact (maybe controlled by some alien force?). Therefore, when the Doctor says to her it's the first time they have kissed (in his timeline), she knows that it's the last time they will ever kiss in her timeline. We can also deduce that in River's timeline she will only meet the Doctor three more times before her "death". Next time they meet will be the "Pandorica" incident. Then they will meet during the "Weeping Angels" segment. Finally they will meet during the "Library" segment, at the start of which the Doctor doesn't recognise her, and at the end of which she "dies". Although River does not know what the immediate future has in store for her, she has a suspicion that her end is near, which she sums up in the line (paraphrased) "The time is coming when I will look into the Doctor's eyes and he won't have any idea who I am. And I think it'll kill me."

I like the fact that every time they meet, he will know more, and she will know less.

Also wonder if we will ever see the last time they meet, from River's POV, as described in Forest Of The Dead, were The Doctor will give her his screwdriver (well his old screwdriver, since the 11th Doctor has a different one then River was using.)

I wonder if the TARDIS exploding plotline from season 5 will still be resolved.

All that "half-Human" shit is just bollocks, and it's not cannon!

Well if the 8th Doctor is canon, I don't see how this part cannot be?

"The only water in the forest is the river"

I never before caught the similarity between the names of both these characters created by Moffat. Amy Pond, River Song.

Ever since the start of the season I had the funny feeling that the little girl is River. And that she's in some way the offspring of Amy Pond. But then the regeneration scene makes no sense.

"The only water in the forest is the river"

I never before caught the similarity between the names of both these characters created by Moffat. Amy Pond, River Song.

Ever since the start of the season I had the funny feeling that the little girl is River. And that she's in some way the offspring of Amy Pond. But then the regeneration scene makes no sense.

Has the show ever shown what TARDIS travel through time and space does to a human fetus?

Can the child inherit regenerative properties as easily as a drug addiction or other abnormality from the mother?

Or do we just hope that Amy remains 100% faithful to Rory into the future, but the child is really half Gallifreyan / Time Lord?

Has the show ever shown what TARDIS travel through time and space does to a human fetus?

Can the child inherit regenerative properties as easily as a drug addiction or other abnormality from the mother?

Or do we just hope that Amy remains 100% faithful to Rory into the future, but the child is really half Gallifreyan / Time Lord?

I really doubt that it will be anything like that.

The Doctor has no romantic interest in Amy.

Also it would just be inappropriate for the show.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks there might be an important plot point in that Rory keeps dying, at least apparently?

But she might think that Tennant goes after Smith, then she realizes he's "young".

Unlikely, because Smith was not cast yet at that point. ;)

So? When you write, you do it on top of what came before, regardless of what you were thinking back then!