The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

On 20/11/2022 at 6:52 AM, TSMefford said:

Looking forward to seeing these two carry the show. Very welcome change and new era!

I still need to finish Whitaker's run - just haven't had time to follow Who the last couple of years, but I enjoyed the handful of Whitaker episodes I had time for.

Love the ease with which these two bounce off each other! Reminds me of all the behind the scenes stuff with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan back in 2010 - two gorgeous young people having a laugh, brimming with chemistry and fun. It's a shame we have to wait til 2024 to see the two of them in action together, unless she debuts alongside Ncuti in the Christmas special next year, which is entirely possible.

doctor-who-series-13-flux-revolution-of-

Tracklist:

Spoiler

CD 1: Eve of the Daleks

1. Here We Are Again
  2. Out Of Service
  3. I Am Not Nick
  4. Deja Vu
  5. The Correction
  6. Sorry Sorry Sorry
  7. Not A Great Plan
  8. Took You Long Enough
  9. We Will Not Stop
  10. We Go Again and We Win
  11. The Doctor Cannot Save You
  12. A Brilliant Plan
  13. Important Stuff to Do 
  14. Fireworks

CD 2: Legend of the Sea Devils

1. You Have No Idea What You're Doing 
  2. Catching a Whopper
  3. Pirate Queen
  4. Who Wants to Be Next
  5. Celestial Navigation
  6. Going Up
  7. Say Hello to My Crew
  8. This Is Gonna Be Tricky
  9. A Good Legend

CD 3: The Power of the Doctor

1. You Shall Not Disrupt Our Mission
  2. We Should Go In
  3. Why Would I Ever Trust You
  4. Dealing with Multiple Somethings
  5. Magnificent Attention to Detail
  6. A Calculated Risk
  7. Say Hello to My Friends
  8. I Am The Doctor
  9. We Are Not Finished
  10. What’s The Plan
  11. Reunite
  12. All Hands On Deck
  13. Activate Everything
  14. She’s The Doctor

https://silvascreen.ochre.store/release/353751-segun-akinola-doctor-who-series-13-the-specials

Tracklist at Music Box Records.

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Sea Devils wasn't life changing but I have seen much MUCH worse Doctor Who.

In terms of writing, performance, directing, pacing, and music, I can't think of much worse than LEGEND OF THE SEA DEVILS.

A giant, festering turd, it was. Even PARADISE TOWERS was better.

Walmart has suddenly become a place for me to buy random TV show sets because the price was very appealing (Quantum Leap was $10 for the whole series when I bought that, for instance). In this case, series 1-10 with all the specials for $50 was too good a prospect for me to pass up. I can't imagine it being standard def will be an issue for 9 and 10, though I'm sure it's less ideal for 11 and 12. I certainly wish this was in a proper slipcase instead of put together so slap dashedly, but there's a weird charm to finally owning these lazier "exclusive" sets a store can have. I can't imagine I'll be quick to watching these, but I'm glad I finally have a proper incentive to watch the revival instead of continuing to merely think about it. [Oh yeah, I bought another copy of Thriller because my previous one is scratched up, I miss when I actually bought CDs at retail stores, and the bonus tracks were too appealing in spite of some sounding worse than when they were released elsewhere.]

BqFQMcQ.jpeg

I've occasionally been tempted to pick up BDs of the later seasons (the ones shot in HD) but the thing with DW is I rarely rewatch them outside of the odd episode here and there, and iPlayer is there for those odd episodes.

The soundtracks are a much more valuable 'keepsake' for me although I don't have them all on CD. Gold lost me musically with 9 and I ended up just buying a few tracks from that one, then I only got Akinola's first series on CD and got the rest digitally.

Lately I'm a weird sort of collector where I put much more stock in finding the highest resolution and clearest possible cover art than trying to find CDs, for the majority of cases.

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's "series 27-36"!

The DVD, soundtrack designers and, well pretty much everyone else disagrees with you there!

As someone who never lets the words "Episode IV: A New Hope" escape his lips or appear on his screen I'm going to draw a line at calling the series in 2005 "Series 27".

It's Doctor Who 2005 Series 1, obviously.

Very funny (!).

Truth to tell; I understand completely, that Auntie and the showrunners, would want to trumpet Nu Who as a whole new enterprise. I also accept that there is an entire generation that has never even heard of Classic Who, let alone watched it, just as there is an entire generation that has never not known Episodes IV, V, and VI, as Episodes IV, V, and VI.

I've no wish to sound contrary, but I grew up with DW (I've stated, on this very website that DW is my favourite programme, of any kind... ever!), so the thought of calling Nu Who "Series 1, 2, 3" etc., is anathema. Of course I know exactly what someone means when they talk of - for example - "series 4", but I choose to call it "series 30".

Having said that, I'm prepared to go from series 10, to series 11 (when Gatwa takes over), and pretend that the last four years did not exist :lol:

39 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I almost had a heart attack and died when somebody called Matt Smith a “gorgeous young person” in a post on this page.

Beeeeecause he's 40 now?

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I almost had a heart attack and died when somebody called Matt Smith a “gorgeous young person” in a post on this page.

If you mean my post I was referring to his very first season, when he was still in his 20's. That's surely young?!

If you don't think he's gorgeous, well that's on you!

On 29/11/2022 at 11:35 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I would never call Matt Smith a "hot, young guy", but each to his own.

Hot is in the eye of the beholder. And when it comes to the Doctor, so is "young".

I realised that Moffat was talking about The Doctor, and not Matt Smith. So...my bad.

For anyone who is interested: BBC Radio 4 Extra has a show called "The Reunion". This week, it features Carole Ann Ford, Warris Hussein, and William Russell.

It's on tomorrow at 11am, GMT, and it's repeated at 9pm, GMT.

Ok, so it's from the 50th anniversary celebrations, from 2013, and it's a repeat, but even a repeat of this is better than recent stuff.

Will hopefully catch up with that on BBC Sounds ... finding myself listening to a lot on there lately (a 1968 adap of The Day Of the Triffids, dramatisations of Dan Dare stories and Bulldog Drummond read by Julian Rhind-Tutt, amongst others).  

296x296bb.webp

1. Here We Go Again (2:16)
  2. Out Of Service (2:36)
  3. I Am Not Nick (2:33)
  4. Deja Vu (3:39)
  5. The Correction (3:06)
  6. Sorry Sorry Sorry (1:09)
  7. Not A Great Plan (6:57)
  8. Took You Long Enough (8:43)
  9. We Will Not Stop (3:50)
  10. We Go Again And We Win (4:01)
  11. The Doctor Cannot Save You (3:28)
  12. A Brilliant Plan (3:56)
  13. Important Stuff To Do (4:11)
  14. Fireworks

54 Minutes

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/doctor-who-series-13-eve-of-the-daleks/1655254239

• 2 weeks later...

Sea Devils is out and I did essentially an isolated score watch of the episode to be able to hear the music in context. The episode itself is better than I initially gave it credit for - it's still not a good episode in a relative sense, but hardly 'worst ever'. Certainly better than the utter crap that was the end of Flux.

But actually, I like the score more than Eve of the Daleks. Akinola did some nice oriental material as a bit of a change, and it works.

29 minutes ago, Dave said:

"The Power Of The Doctor" album is 77 minutes long. I hope it's good. I'm not that impressed by Eve and Sea Devils so far...

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/doctor-who-series-13-the-power-of-the/1657551764

Agreed. "Sea Devils" especially seemed very drone-y and repetitive/monotonous. Moreso than usual, even for Segun. 

Sucks that we get music officially released from all of Segun's episodes, but still do not have an official release for an entire season-plus-special from Murray! 

I demand JUSTICE!

Justice...? Or revenge...?

<anguished grimace of shame>

(Hey, that still fits! Calibos was played by Neil McCarthy, who played Barnham in Mind of Evil! :))

There was an ENTIRE era of Doctor Who between Series 10 and it's still non-existing score release... fucking unbelivable...

But in the end I think Segun did a really good job most of the time. After his disapointing Series 11 score I was positively surprised by his music from "Spyfall", "Fugitive Of The Judoon", "The Timeless Children", "Revolution Of The Daleks*" and all of Series 13. There was a constant increase in musical quality.

I never would've thought that I'm going to say the following: It's kinda sad to see him go.

*I'm still surprised that this score worked as a complete release

37 minutes ago, schultz.kevin1972 said:

(Hey, that still fits! Calibos was played by Neil McCarthy, who played Barnham in Mind of Evil! :))

Don't forget Thalos (Tim Pigott-Smith) was in The Masque of Mandragora.

2 hours ago, schultz.kevin1972 said:

Agreed. "Sea Devils" especially seemed very drone-y and repetitive/monotonous. Moreso than usual, even for Segun. 

Sucks that we get music officially released from all of Segun's episodes, but still do not have an official release for an entire season-plus-special from Murray! 

I disagree about Sea Devils - I actually like it more than Eve of the Daleks at the moment.

But yes it's very strange to look at my Who playlists and see 8, 9.... 11 with the gap.

I was worried for a bit earlier this year that given that Akinola has now departed Flux had been forgotten about. And my hope had been just for the specials to get some sort of release, even as a third disc on S13, so having near complete episode scores for all three is great.

21 minutes ago, schultz.kevin1972 said:

True. But he wasn't in the scene I was quoting. :) 

Surprisingly Maggie Smith has never been on Doctor Who. Seriously, that's kind of a shock, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Not really.  She was a top tier theater and film actress from the 60s on, hardly the kind of actor that guested on Who, especially in the original run.

No, I'm pretty much going with nuWho. She just seems to be in that sweet spot of English / famous enough to be a big deal / not so famous to be impossible / possibly has grandchildren bugging her to be in it.

Kind of in the John Hurt zone.

Who was the biggest star to be on Classic Who? Brian Blessed?

There's quite a cool thing happening in Doctor Who Magazine ... the comic strip in it is usually 'separate' adventures from the show's current timeline, but the one that started in last month's issue ('Liberation Of The Daleks') began with the Fourteenth Doctor walking back into the Tardis on the regeneration clifftop and going to the '66 World Cup final, where his oldest enemies proceed to turn up and cause mayhem. It's going to run right up until the 60th anniversary specials next Nov. 

So Fourteen's first story will be, strictly speaking, in print form. 

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

No, I'm pretty much going with nuWho. She just seems to be in that sweet spot of English / famous enough to be a big deal / not so famous to be impossible / possibly has grandchildren bugging her to be in it.

Kind of in the John Hurt zone.

Who was the biggest star to be on Classic Who? Brian Blessed?

John Cleese?

Apart from cameos... 

Brian Blessed probably leads the pack. 

Geoffrey Palmer?

Julian Glover?

Jean Marsh?

Martin Clunes?

Kate O'Mara?

Alexei Sayle?

Honor Blackman?

Ken Dodd?

Stubby Kaye?

The Beatles? ;) 

Martin Jarvis... twice

Cyril Shaps 

Fulton Mackay 

Patrick Ryecart 

Eleanor Bron (much more attractive than Cleese)

Stratford Johns 

Barbara Murray 

Frank Windsor 

Michael Cochrane 

Samuel West

Catherine Schell 

Simon Williams as Grp. Capt. "Chunky" Gilmore :lol: 

George Sewell 

Barbara "oh, do be careful" Salem 

Michael Sheard

Harry Fowler 

Dinsdale Landen 

Anne Reid 

Sheila Hancock 

Rico Ross 

Anton Diffring 

Courtney Pine 

14 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

There's quite a cool thing happening in Doctor Who Magazine ... the comic strip in it is usually 'separate' adventures from the show's current timeline, but the one that started in last month's issue ('Liberation Of The Daleks') began with the Fourteenth Doctor walking back into the Tardis on the regeneration clifftop and going to the '66 World Cup final, where his oldest enemies proceed to turn up and cause mayhem. It's going to run right up until the 60th anniversary specials next Nov. 

So Fourteen's first story will be, strictly speaking, in print form. 

I've enjoyed RTD's attempt to revitalize pretty much every facet of the Doctor Who franchise instead of the main show, but that's hardly surprising from the man that managed to launch (and write for!) two successful spin-off shows concurrently. Russel understands the important of being holistic and taking advantage of any opportunity, and by the time the 60th launches I don't think hype will have been that high in years for the franchise's return.