The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I'm yet to watch the final 2 episopdes of the season.

Is it me, or did the Ninth Doctor seem more vulnerable?

In Dalek, he truly feared the lone surviving Dalek. In Father's Day, he felt betrayed by Rose's attempt to save her father.

In the Empty Child and The Doctor Dances, and Boom Town he seemed affected by what was going on around him in a deeper level. and finally in aA Parting of Ways, after rescuing Rose from the Dalek main ship, there's a moment were he leans into the TARDIS's door in silent despear.

We haven't really seen anything like that in season 2. Maybe it's the writing. Maybe it's Tennant's performance, (which I do love) but somehow the Tenth Doctor seems less emotionally affected by whats going on around him. Making him seem a bit more shallow.

For instance, in The Satan's Pit, the moment were the Doctor decides to fall into the Abyss.

I have a feeling Ecclestone would have played it with more fear.

Tennant plays it like he knows full fell he's not going to fall to his death. (which of course he won't, mid-season).

Hmmmm......

The end of Doomsday also reaches emotional heights that the classic series, great as it is, never got to.

Perfectly true. It tried, but never quite managed it. The closing moments of "Earthshock" were about as close as it ever got IMHO.

Steef - waiting eagerly to read your considered review of Army/Doomsday.

Greg

Is that the one with the daleks and the cybermen? That one was quite fun, especially the lines the Daleks speak against the cybermen.

I absolutely adored Girl In The Fireplace. That and Blink are the only episodes that the new Who has ever come close to being more than an enjoyable distraction for me.

Is that the one with the daleks and the cybermen?

That's the badger.....

....in other news, rather appetite-whetting photo circulating in the press today....no surprises for anyone who's read this thread, just a cool photo!

SNN17BB02A-682_826279a.jpg

Oh yes.... :P

Army Of Ghost/Doomsday

This is the story about how I died.... Nice hook ;)

I guess this is the first time the Cuberman and the Daleks meet? They are in many ways similar of course. There's something incredible fearsome about the way the Cyberman march, in noisy symetry and with clenched fists.

The Daleks are again effective adversaries, but I suppose they will never be more frightening then in Dalek, were the possibility of just one Dalek was enough to make the Dotcor sacrifice Rose.

The interactions between the Cyberman and the Daleks are hilarious. So is Jackie's reunion with Pete Tyler. Though they do have a rather long chat in the midst of danger. ;)

Great to see Micky again, all heroic.

Torchwood is deliciously determined in it's goal, but also wonderfully ignorrant about the possible consequences of it's actions. Why is Martha Jones working for Torchwood? ;)

Murray Gold's music once again adds a lot.

But of course this 2 parter hangs and falls on it's last 10 minutes.

Of course Rose does not die, but her departure could hardly be more sorrowfull. I was really struggling to contain the tears.

In the end the best thing is that's is probably better for Rose to leave the Doctor, even though she hardly realises it. His way of like, this traveling about. It's like a long brilliant summerholiday, but eventually you gotta come home....even though it's a parallel.

This episode had the emotional charge that I found lacking slightly from season 2, when compared to the first.

But who was that redhead at the end?????

I guess this is the first time the Cuberman and the Daleks meet?

Yes. And it's glorious.

"Daleks have no concept of elegance!"

"This is obvious."

"Be warned Daleks, you have declared war on the Cyber race."

"This is not war! This is pest control!"

Good review Steef - agree lots!

Who was the redhead?? Well - keep going and you'll find out ;) You have a lot of fun to come!

The Runaway Bride.

Catherine Tate starts of as being very loud, shallow and annoying. By the end of this episode, you kinda like her.

She will ofcourse become a Compagnion in season 3.

I like the way that unlike Rose, she's not that much in awe of The Doctor, and actually a bit frightened by his darker impulses.

At this point the Doctor is still not recovering from his loss of Rose. (though I'm not sure how much time passed between the moment she gut sucked into the other universe and the last scene in the season closer were he said his goodbye (dialogue indicates it is some time for Rose at least).

Tennant and Tate feed off each others energy really well. Tate is primarily known for her comedy work, but manages to shine in the more serious moments.

Loved the highway chase with the Tardis. And the fact that Earth excists merely to hide some spiders. ;)

The effects department did a wonderfull job with this big Shelob creature, but the actress Sarah Parish's goes way over the top and delivers a rather in-effective performance.

Some great special effects and musc, and a nice Christmassy feel.

Certainly not as good as The Christmas Invasion, but very nice!

Smith and Jones

Like Rose, Martha is a young, London girl (middle class instead of lower class though) curious, even when faced with the unknown, quick on her feet and she manages to adapt easy to a situation that seems impossible.

Freema Agyeman looks stunning and works up a great chemistry with Tennant. You can see the Doctor thinking about it, but it seems he's not yet rready to take another compagnion after the loss of Rose (even though he seemed not so hesitant to offer Donna Noble)

Very nice sci-fi story. Hospital on the moon, rhino faced aliens, a women sucking the dear life out of a man with a straw (I once had a night like that...).

All set for Season 3!

The Shakespeare Code

Dean Lennox Kelly plays the bard like a cad, and looks more like Branagh then Shakespeare. I aprove.

Clever episode full of references to great British literature (from Shakespeare to J.K. Rowling).

Lot's of good comedy, and nice creepy atmosphere.

Gridlock.

Matha begins to mean more and more to The Doctor, and he does nt want to loose another compagnion.

Tennant does love those big speeches doesn't he? Nearly everytime his compagnion is in trouble, he proclaims that he'll tear the world apart to save them. The interesting thing is that this thin, tall actor actually makes it work.

Love the cat people (was that that dumb priest from Father Ted), the elderly gay couple, the Face of Boe.

Some pulse pounding scoring.

The moment were Tennant comes clean to Martha and actually talk to her like she's a person, instead of showing off is a highlight.

Nice hymns!

was that that dumb priest from Father Ted

Yep - that's the chappy!

Not sure if you are aware Steef, but this is not the first appearance of the Macra - but that adventure is sadly among the missing...

I know, but it's hardly relevant!

Agreed - just wasn't sure if you had come across it, that was all.

;)

Huh. This has been rumored before, but as a "get together", not an actual story with everyone playing their Doctors. I like the idea, in principle. Time Crash was wonderful, Peter Davision stepped right in like he had never been gone, so I would expect the same from everyone else.

Good news, good news! I'd rather it be a full length episode but this will do for now!

Things I'm looking forward to:

Tennant yelling "Alonsy!" to which Ecclestone beams a grin and exclaims "Fantastic!".

Seeing Tom Baker in that scarf again and having a grin-off with Ecclestone. (I wonder how RTD and co seduced him out of retirement?? He swore he would never play the Doctor again!)

Seeing Matt Smith in the role.

Sylester McCoy rolling his R's once more

Colin Baker on-screen with Dad in the same role! (that's gotta feel weird!)

...and of course....MY Doctor - Peter Davison putting on the cricket jersey for one - but hopefully not last - time....

I don't see this happening at all. At least not as a "mini-episode" scripted type thing. Maybe, just maybe a gathering sorta get-together thing, though I find that unlikely as well. Separate pre-filmed "Please give to Children in Need" clips? Might see that happening. I'm very skeptical of the whole thing, though. Would love to be proved wrong!

I don't see how this can work as anything else then a fanboy wank fest!

Agreed, but that suits the shit out of me!! :lol:

Indeed. Got my box of tissues ready ;)

BTW I just ordered Torchwood "Children of Earth" from Amazon.co.uk for about fifteen quid. Not bad! I'm not sure when we're getting on TV in the states, but I will wait and watch my DVD set when it arrives. The DVDs are out at the end of July.

There is still no absolutely confirmed broadcast date yet....but I'm reckoning on a week or two before the DVD release date, which I think is the same here as it is over there....

It's been a long time coming, but thankfully we are also to get 3 more Torchwood radio dramas over the first 3 days of July as a "stopgap"....if they are as good as last year's "Lost Souls" I am in for a treat....

Indeed. Got my box of tissues ready ;)

As will I!

If the Moff writes it then we're all set.

A couple of news bits:

The Beeb denies the "11 Doctors" report, but does say a new Children In Need special is in the works

Timothy Dalton is playing "a terrifying judge who puts the Doctor on trial in an intergalactic court case". Has RTD drawn inspiration from The War Games and Trial of a Time Lord for Tennant's finale? It would certainly be a way to

renew the estrangement between the Doctor and his people after the Time Lord's possible revival.

Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks

The 4 Daleks that escaped in the season 2 finale ended up in NY during the Great Depression.

This 2 parter does not explain why exactly they chose to transport to that specific period. (the technologically is very limited for them, surely?)

I suppose you are not supposed to ask thopse questions.

And I also suppose you are suppose to think about the fact that it is very random and convenient that the Doctor happens to turn up at the excact city, in the excact timeframe as the Cult Of Skaro? Particulary since he was not looking for them.

If you ignore this very lazy writing then this 2 parter works well.

Unlike the last 2 Dalek encounters the world isn't being threatened directly (yet), and massive special effects sequences of millions of Daleks flying about are replaced by scenes that deal with character, and motivation.

Liked the human/Dalek hybrid, liked the human Daleks and the Pig slaves. Talloulah was rather fetching.

All in all, certainly no classic, but a solid 2 parter.

The Nostromo setting and mood from The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit returns.

Good art directing full of steam, rust and sweaty people (Michelle Collins looks good draped in sweat and dirt).

Apparently filmed in 24 like real time. (though that does not add a lot to this episode).

The music does however, some tense scoring and a great action theme.

This 2 parter does not explain why exactly they chose to transport to that specific period. (the technologically is very limited for them, surely?)

I suppose you are not supposed to ask thopse questions.

I always thought that it was random, and when they saw where they ended up they just made do with the setting and technology the best they could. But this is contradicted a bit by where it's revealed Caan went after this story in Series 4.

Daleks in Manhattan is a tale of two stories for me. The Dalek part is very, very good, with some deep psychological musings over what it really means to be a Dalek, what they believe in and fight for. The other stuff, the Manhattan setting and characters, is medicore at best. It's a story that's much derided by fans as one of the weakest points of the new series.

Personally I think the story would have worked much better if the Daleks had ended up on a deserted world somewhere. That way the same character/species examination of the Daleks could have taken place, without the annoying characters and embarassing moments.

Did anyone else hear R.T.D.'s comments last night on Radio 4 ("Front Row") about the upgomming series being "darker", and how he looked at a new script when he was not supposed to? Tasty morsels, indeed, but then, R.T.D. is a born showman...

Well - I wouldn't mind that persnonally....series 3 was dark as hell, and series 4 lifted the mood a lot and became an adventurous romp (and being just a tad the better for it, I think?) - so another darker season would not go amiss for me I think....I trust the people in charge.

Greg

I'm with Greg on this. I've initially disagreed with many casting choices made by the new production team, only to be wonderfully proved wrong when they managed to make it work. Most recently I've been shocked and a little disappointed with the choice of Matt Smith as Dr 11. However, I have since seen him in Ruby in the Smoke, and I'm beginning to see some exciting possibilities for his portrayal of the Doctor. I think I'll just shut up and leave the big decisions in the very capable hands of the production team. So far they've very rarely put a foot wrong.

I always thought that it was a given that with the Moff taking over the show would take a bit of a darker turn. As I've said before I think an apt comparison is that RTD was comparable with Barry Letts/Terrance Dicks, and Moffatt's going to be more toward the Philip Hinchcliffe/Robert Holmes style.

I think I'll just shut up and leave the big decisions in the very capable hands of the production team. So far they've very rarely put a foot wrong.

Indeed....reading through this thread I've been quite vociferous about some decisions and casting choices - only to be proved wrong every step of the way....

Just finished watching the Trial of a Timelord DVDs. I'd forgotten what a terrible mess that story was! Bonnie Langford is truly embarassing, and the entire story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The Valeyard is never properly explained, and what's the cop-out ending all about??? And what on earth is the Master up to? Jeez.

Best thing about the DVD set is the wonderful array of extra documentaries. The 55 minute doc. on the last disc outlining Colin's tenure as the Doctor is very good, and rather tragic. Colin comes across extremely well during the interviews (as always), and even John Nathan-Turner seems to be frustrated with the whole thing and one feels some sympathy towards him.

Just finished watching the Trial of a Timelord DVDs. I'd forgotten what a terrible mess that story was!

I have to say it's actually one of my favorites. Not perfect of course, but a pretty damn good epic carried by Colin Baker and Michael Jayston (the Valeyard). The final episode is such a mess due to Robert Holmes' untimely death while writing the script, and the woeful Pip and Jane Baker (who had just written the very weak third Vervoid segment) were brought in to finish it. Considering the production nightmare it all comes together pretty well.

Bonnie Langford is truly embarassing

Well, yes.

EDIT- The rumor that just won't die. I've never been wild about the idea of a movie, and as much as I love Tennant I'm even less wild about the idea of a series of movies starring him running concurrently with Matt Smith's new series.

I've seen these mentions of "Special Project 3" elsewhere - though it has to be said that the sources were not particularly reliable.....

Would I like to see a big-screen Who? Well - hell yeah!! Big budget with as much attention to writing and detail as possible please!!

Oops forgot one:

The Lazarus Experiment

Not bad, but...underwelming.

The monster looks far to grotesque and unlikely to be truly scary. Bigger is not always better.

Mark Gattis was good in a few scenes, and I liked the stuff with Martha's family and....Mr. Saxon :)

Human Nature/The Family Of Blood

Moving, thrilling, scary, funny, inventive, and incredible moving.

I'd rate this 2 parter amoung the best of the series.

The Family Of Blood are sinister in the way they tilt their head, smell for their victims and loved the strange speech patterns.

When going undercover, Rose was once a dinnerlady, Martha is even worse of as a black girl in rural England 1913, scrubbing floors.

The main story is of course, The Doctor becomes human, and falls in love. Not with some young bombeshell, but with prim and proper Nurse Redfern, who's stern demeanor hides passion, intelligence, compassion and self-sacrifice. Jessica Hynes finds just the right note in her performance.

Tennent succeeds very well in portaying John Smith as someone different then The Doctor. Basically, John Smith has none of the self-confidence that defines The Doc.

Tennant (and the writers) also likes to portay the Doctor's darker side, and nowere is that done better then in the final scene between him and Nurse Redfern.

The way he, very selfishy, propostions her to come with him, even though it would break her heart again is chilling.

John Smith was in some ways braver then The Doctor.

Blink

That is more like it!

Another Doctor Who lite, like season 2's Love and Monsters, which was pretty good.

This one is even better.

Carey Mulligan is rather charming as Sally Sparrow and the temporal twists and turns are handles very nicely by the ingenious script.

This episodes monsters are brilliantly concieved, and there are some genuinly frightening scenes.

Creepy music also.

Utopia.

There's a lot in this episode that does not work. I found it questionable that the human race, in the year 5000 trillion billion whatever still look and act like humans from the 21th century, oprating computers and consoles that seem to come from the 20th. (i know the script tries to explain it, I just on't buy it) The Futurekind are also not very threatening, or interesting. Just like us, but with fangs (why do I feel that were penny pinching for this episode.)

None of this really matters though, because Jack Harkness is back and has a great raport with Tennant, and then there's the formidable Sir David Jacobi.

So innocent and befuddled at first, and so terrible at last.

I know nothing of the Master save the 1996 movie, but Jacobi made his return an epic point in the series.

His final few scenes, ending with a short soliloquy, speaking directly to the audience ( The Master.....Reborn) makers the ground tremble. (the music is great too.)

Bloody brilliant!

The Sound Of Drums/Last Of The Timelords

John Simms makes a marvelous Master, like Tennant, balancing broad comedy with darnkess.

The phone exchance between the 2 is a highlight.

Martha is put through a lot in the first ep, when her family is taken away, and then some more in part 2, when she goes global spreading the word!

Jack is great in part 1, but hardly seen in part 2, a pity. though I loved the Face of Boe revelation. :lol:

The Doctor being shrunk, and aged was a bit controversial amogst fans I hear, as was his rebirth (of sorts)

Yes he appears Angelic, but it wasn't called the Archangel Network for nothing.

It works, just barely, but it works.

There's too much material for even 2 episodes though, especially ep 2 feels rushed, making it lack a certain weight.

Martha says goodbye. Unlike Rose, who wanted to stay with the Doctor all her life, Martha finally decides that's it's a thrilling life, that will ultimatly lead her nowhere. A strong end to a strong character (who will return anyway) ;)

The Master get's shot by his own wife, for reasons that are...well not clear. Even on my second viewing. Yes she has a bruise at some point, and The Master openly flirts with other women....but still.

Overall...good, not as good as Human Nature/Family Of Blood though.

As usual you have some very insightful comments to make. I seem to be the only one who really likes Lazarus Experiment though. I love Gatis's performance, and I think the grotesque creature is very frightening. I scared the crap out of me at any rate. I could have done without the "overly epic" organ-finale, but enjoyed the reference to Spinal Tap!

Blink

Did you know that the DVD easter eggs in the show are...DVD easter eggs? :lol:

I know nothing of the Master save the 1996 movie, but Jacobi made his return an epic point in the series.

His final few scenes, ending with a short soliloquy, speaking directly to the audience ( The Master.....Reborn) makers the ground tremble. (the music is great too.)

Bloody brilliant!

The last 10 minutes of Utopia is still possibly the best the new series has produced so far (have I said that before? :) ). The scene where the watch is calling to the Professor also features a line from the original Master, Roger Delgado, and the distinctive evil laugh of Anthony Ainley, who played the Master during the 80s.

Martha says goodbye. Unlike Rose, who wanted to stay with the Doctor all her life, Martha finally decides that's it's a thrilling life, that will ultimatly lead her nowhere. A strong end to a strong character (who will return anyway) ;)

Too often, unfortunately, IMO. Martha's future appearances do very little for her character or the episodes she's in.

Voyage Of The Damned.

What!

What!

WHAT!!!

The Doctor finds himself in a disater movie of sorts. With a slightly too old Kylie as a waitress. And it's still very nice.

Unlike the Runaway Bride this one feels more like Christmas, very lightheatred and warm. Always good to see Geofrey Palmer, and the husband from Keeping Up Appearances. Kylie is OK, she's not a great actress, but she's game and has a go. She neither harms nor adds much.

Damn fine special effects that really give the episode some scale.

And the music, broad, sweeping, almost epic, with a very good new theme for The Doctor.

Lots of nice little character moments and Tennant is in good form even though his mother passed away during the shoot. (Allons-y...Alonso)

Still no The Christmas Invasion, but very enjoyable.

Partners In Crime

Oh no, the loud mouth, middle aged red head returns!

No really, I liked Donna in the X-mas special, even if no-one else did.

The Doctor instilled Donna with a sense of purpose in that one, but she didn't have a direction, she she spend her time just wondering around aimlessly, looking for....something.

She's more assertive then Rose and Martha, though not always in a sensible way.

Tate's comedic background, and Tennant's gift for comedy promises a good pairing to me.''

The long, drawn out scenes were the 2 charecters just miss each other, while investigating the same thing is finished of nicely with some mime. ROTFLMAO

The rest of the story is perfectly acceptable. I liked the fact that the aliens were for once, innocent little bundles of joy.

Matron was creepy, the grandfather is a nice character and the music was good (if a tad loud).

OH MY GOD, I KNOW THAT BLOND FROM SOMEWERE!

They certainly know how to lure people to watch the rest of the season.

So Rose might be finding her way out of the paralell universe, very nice.

Billy Piper seems to have some dental work done though, her jawline is different.