The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey. It is a bit of a cheat but it makes perfect sense. To me, anyway, but I've always had a good head for this temporal mechanics insanity.

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey. It is a bit of a cheat but it makes perfect sense. To me, anyway, but I've always had a good head for this temporal mechanics insanity.

Glad I'm not alone. I've never really had trouble with time paradoxes and such. BTTF and the like have always made perfect logical sense to me (well, at least where logic could be applied, anyway...). I just wrote a little DW fanfic story for my wife that had a bit of timey wimey in it. :)

The Rory/screwdriver bit can be seen as a bit of a cheat, but is well within the continuity of the show. If you can accept that time travel is real then you have to accept the possibility of the "predestination paradox" which is what happened. It was the basis around the episode "Blink" (and the whole climax of Prisoner of Azkaban) yet I didn't see many people getting too confused or upset about those.

The other thing is that people are saying it's a magical, get-out-of-jail (literally) device, but also keep in mind the fact that reality was collapsing around them at the time so the rules of time travel were pretty much thrown out the window. That's why the Doctor was so confident using the Vortex Manipulator - as he said it's usually a crude and inaccurate form of travel but when the universe is the size of just Earth it becomes less of a problem.

It's also nothing on the scale of RTD's reset-buttons, mainly as it makes sense in context and (like the "Big Bang" itself) built up to all season.

Favourite ep: The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang

Least favourite: Vampires of Venice.

List your favorite and least favorite episode of series 5! (2 parters can count as a single ep becuase it's one story)

Favourite: Vincent and the Doctor (though any of the final 4 episodes deserves the spot)

Least Favourite: Victory of the Daleks (by a country mile)

As already discussed, Moff and Matt Smith have basically stated outright that the whole "Silence" thing, as well as why the cracks appeared in the first place, is a 2-season arc....I guess I just hope it doesn't all get too.....complicated....!

New on Xmas Special - will star our intrepid 3, as well as a Ms Katherine Jenkins and a Mr Michael Gambon Sir. Moff has said "it's every one of your favourite christmas stories rolled into one. In an hour. With monsters" an is a variation on A Christmas Carol.

Bring it on....

Not to step on your toes Greg, but I have to included the full press blurb from Moffat because it contains another classic Moff zinger:

Oh, we're going for broke with this one. It's all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters and the Doctor and a honeymoon and – oh, you'll see. I've honestly never been so excited about writing anything. I was laughing madly as I typed along to Christmas songs in April. My neighbours loved it so much they all moved away and set up a website demanding my execution. But I'm fairly sure they did it ironically.

I'm excited about Michael Gambon, I hope he's going to be the main baddie.

I love Moffat's press releases way better than RTD's. Always good for a laugh. RTD's were OK, but Moffat just works completely for me.

Moffat and Joss Whedon are the only two guys I know that constantly work jokes into their press statements. And not lame jokes either, really good ones.

:beerchug: Almost. Unfortunately the whole of BBC America's schedule is filled up with crap reality shows, just about the only thing from them I wouldn't at least give a chance. Anytime something from the Beeb pops up on PBS though I usually end up watching at least some of it. Caught some of David Tennent's Hamlet a few months ago.

So classic UK Torchwood is officially dead? I just read that season 4 is to be set in the US, with an all-American cast (with the exception of Eva Miles). I am extremely underwhelmed by this news. The US already has a bunch of excellent TV shows. Why can't Torchwood stay in the UK?

Finally watched the TV movie the other day. I saw it years ago as a kid when it first came out but that was long before I became a fan of the show...

...Well it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Wasn't as good as it should've been though. There were a lot of great ideas and moments but they were lost among the silly jokes and poor execution.

Things I loved:

The TARDIS set was magnificent. It's probably my favourite of the designs I've seen so far. I was surprised how many similarities there were to the revival design.

Paul McGann is an excellent Doctor, with some fantastic moments that made me go "Yep, he's the Doctor I know". I just wish he had more to work with. I may have to check out some of the audio adventures he recorded.

Sylvester McCoy's last appearance. It was nice that his Doctor got some closure, and though I'm not very familiar with him he didn't seem as bad as people led me to believe. To be fair he was only on-screen for a short while.

Skaro and the Daleks at the start. Except that in the version I watched the Daleks' voices were all pitched strangely and they sounded like chipmunks. I wonder why that was?

Things that were okay:

Grace wasn't as cringe-worthy as I'd predicted, though she wasn't really anything special either. Her first appearance at the opera had me going "oohhh no..." but I warmed to her by the end.

I didn't mind the Master - had to laugh though when he showed up in robes at the end and went all camp. I haven't seen any of his previous incarnations but I'm guessing a few were just as flamboyant.

The plot was serviceable, and though it seemed straightforward there were a few things that had me scratching my head. Why was the atomic clock needed to close the Eye? Just because? Convenient that there happened to be one there at the right time and place. Eh.

Things I hated:

No, he's not half human. It must've been that Chameleon Arch....

All of the 2D filler characters like the fat guy in the morgue and Grace's shady superior. It's not that hard to convincingly characterize even minor characters, but they were just awful.

The dialogue stank in a few places, mainly Grace's and the Master's stuff. Nothing I can remember off the top of my head, but I rolled my eyes a lot.

I thought the Eye of Harmony was on Gallifrey? And why the hell did it need a human eye to open it? Ridiculous!

And much, much more...

So I probably won't watch it again any time soon, but I'm glad I saw it (again) finally. I'm taking the next few dry months as an opportunity to watch some classic series. I've seen An Unearthly Child and The Daleks already but won't give my impressions yet. Won't be watching all of the old episodes, just the highlights. Any pointers as to where else to start?

Also, the new Proms is happening this weekend, is there word that it'll be recorded and broadcast by the Beeb? Not particularly interested in the video but I know last time they did a radio broadcast which I have and greatly enjoyed. Hopefully there'll be another one.

Your thoughts on the movie pretty much mirror mine, magical. I'm glad nothing more came of it, and all the other rumored Who startups fell apart. When we finally got it back we got it exactly as it should be.

I really wish the rights issues would get sorted out someday so the movie can get released over here in the States, especially since it's soon to get a re-release with a new transfer and features in the UK (along with The Talons of Weng-Chiang and The Caves of Androzani).

And I'd highly recommend checking out the good parts of the McCoy era. Though Cartmel and his team have recenly admitted to intentionally pushing left-wing propoganda to "bring down Thatcher" (see The Happiness Patrol), there's still some good Who in there. Check out Rememberance of the Daleks, Battlefield, and The Curse of Fenric. Just pretend that his whole first season never happened and you'll be fine.

All the Doctors are great in Big Finish's audio productions, Magical. In fact, they made the Sixth Doctor my favorite Doctor ever! He's just so awesome in the audio dramas. If you want to follow the Eighth Doctor, "Storm Warning" - http://bigfinish.com/16-Doctor-Who-Storm-Warning - is a good place to start. It was his first play. After that, try "Chimes of Midnight" - http://bigfinish.com/29-Doctor-Who-The-Chimes-of-Midnight - which is simply genius.

Just saw the Big Bang on BBC America last night and continue to be so happy that RTD is gone. This season of Doctor Who has felt more like the classic series than nearly anything during RTD's era, and the finale is perfectly indicative of that. There's this big thing going on, but basically it just involves the group running around a museum away from a Dalek (nice reference to The Daleks Master Plan in the set the stone Dalek was in as well). I think Smith has done a terrific job, and I'm also happy that they'll stick with a 3 person team for a while next season (River will probably become the full-time companion and the Ponds will probably leave at some point - not that I'd mind them staying the whole season). And the end wasn't full of all this dramatic tension and brooding, but instead was a fun ending to the show which we haven't seen in the revival series.

I think The Pandorica Opens, Amy's Choice, and The Time of Angels are probably the standout stories of the season, with Victory of the Daleks easily being the worse. Its a left-over of the RTD (complete with a 1941 British plane in space with lasers) and I'm glad that its been seen as the low-point of the season. I don't understand the hate for Amy's Choice, as I thought that it was a great story with some great acting. I never got the feeling the Doctor knew the whole time that it was all just a test, and any thing that might have seemed like that I just put off to the Doctor trying to act like he knew more than he does (it happened a lot this season).

Anyway, I'm just glad that the finale was worth the wait, and now I have more time to explore some classic who. I've seen about 25 stories so far and haven't hated any of them except for Ghost Light. I still don't understand what the writers thought with that one, but I guess that's why it was canceled after that season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I80pc9jZ_t8

This piece has been in my head for a few weeks now. I hope a CD will come out soon.

Just saw the Big Bang on BBC America last night and continue to be so happy that RTD is gone. This season of Doctor Who has felt more like the classic series than nearly anything during RTD's era, and the finale is perfectly indicative of that. There's this big thing going on, but basically it just involves the group running around a museum away from a Dalek (nice reference to The Daleks Master Plan in the set the stone Dalek was in as well). I think Smith has done a terrific job, and I'm also happy that they'll stick with a 3 person team for a while next season (River will probably become the full-time companion and the Ponds will probably leave at some point - not that I'd mind them staying the whole season). And the end wasn't full of all this dramatic tension and brooding, but instead was a fun ending to the show which we haven't seen in the revival series.

Yeah true, all of the season closers in the RTD years have been kinda downers.

Of course this one ends with an Egyptian goddess, loose on the Orient Express...in space. :o

I think The Pandorica Opens, Amy's Choice, and The Time of Angels are probably the standout stories of the season, with Victory of the Daleks easily being the worse. Its a left-over of the RTD (complete with a 1941 British plane in space with lasers) and I'm glad that its been seen as the low-point of the season. I don't understand the hate for Amy's Choice, as I thought that it was a great story with some great acting. I never got the feeling the Doctor knew the whole time that it was all just a test, and any thing that might have seemed like that I just put off to the Doctor trying to act like he knew more than he does (it happened a lot this season).

Up untill the big reveal of the specks of pollen, and that The Doctor knew all the time what was going on I think Amy's Choice fantastic. But that Ending really blows it for me.

I sort of like Victory Of The Daleks as a reboot of the Daleks, removing some of the RTD elements.

This better mean there's a series 5 CD release. I guess we'll never get one for the specials.

Is Rory still plastic?

I'm thinking not, but who knows? Maybe someday they can try River's "head swap" suggestion. Do keep things interesting.

Rory's definitely not plastic anymore. The real Rory returned when Mr and Mrs Pond did, complete with all of his memories from the finale. Plastic/Auton Rory does not exist anymore as the Alliance never happened.

Thanks, Magical Me. I'll buy that explanation.

My 11-Doctor action figure set arrived a couple of days ago. Wonderful figures! It's so much fun to buy toys again. I really should do it more often.

Just rewatched The Big Bang and noticed that the angle that they used when the TARDIS materialized at the wedding was very similar to how they used to do it during the classic era. One of those nice little touches that really made this season much more enjoyable for me than the previous ones.

I think the direction in the new series (and particularly the finale) has really stepped up a notch. I'd be surprised if the nods to the classic series weren't intentional, including that shot of the TARDIS you mention Wycket - it seems the new production team is really trying to take a more subtle approach to the show which then adds gravity to the bigger things when they inevitably explode onto the screen. The epic scenes are much less hollow and overblown than before because of the detail placed in plotting, direction, acting etc. The climaxes seem earned.

I listened to a short interview with Ben Foster regarding the musical landscape of the latest season and he made a great point in saying that he and Murray intentionally developed the music as the episodes progressed, adding more colours and denser orchestration throughout the season. It's a refreshing approach to episodic TV and makes me want a CD release of the music even more. I don't even care if we don't see a an album for the specials, IMO the new stuff blows it out of the water. Amelia's theme is just beautiful and is easily the best theme since the show came back.

Did anyone see "Sherlock", last night? Has all Moffatt's hard work gone into this show, while considering "Doctor Who" an afterthought? One thing's for sure; once Moff, and the guys realise that hiring a 13 year-old to play the most important part on English telly was a mistake, they might want to correct that mistake by offering said part to a truly great actor: Benedict Cumberbatch.

P.s., his mum was "Image Of The Fendhal".

Did anyone see "Sherlock", last night? Has all Moffatt's hard work gone into this show, while considering "Doctor Who" an afterthought? One thing's for sure; once Moff, and the guys realise that hiring a 13 year-old to play the most important part on English telly was a mistake, they might want to correct that mistake by offering said part to a truly great actor: Benedict Cumberbatch.

P.s., his mum was "Image Of The Fendhal".

I'm hoping you're not being entirely serious about Matt Smith. IMHO, he's done an incredible job and is one fantastic Doctor. Having not seen "Sherlock" yet, I can't say anything about Mr. Cumberbatch. But I can wholeheartedly say that hiring Matt Smith was not a "mistake" as you put it. And I seriously don't think Moffat considers his work on "Doctor Who" as an "afterthought".

P.S. His mum was also in "Time and the Rani". (And "The Faceless Ones".)

Speaking of classic series nods, I watched the last two eps on BBC America the other night and noticed that they seemed to be using a modified version of the TARDIS background hum from the late 70s and 80s. Really cool. And I think I mentioned earlier there were a lot of console SFX from that era used in the first few eps.

John- who really wants to see Sherlock

City of the Daleks was okay, nothing special in terms of gameplay or puzzles (and in fact a couple of them will leave you very frustrated) and the stealth aspect gets old quickly. But it's nice having the writers and actors play out an episode of the show that is probably too ambitious and implausible to be on the telly.

Haven't played the second one yet, hope it's good.

Just finished City of the Daleks. The stealth thing definitely gets old, that's 3/4 of the game. Turning Amy's fading in and out of existence from a side plot point to a main gameplay mechanic was very clever, though. There are a whole lot of things I could nitpick from a gameplay standpoint, but it's obviously been designed with mostly inexperienced and non-gamers in mind, so I'll let most of it slide. Overall it's a decent experience, well worth $5. But boy, would I love to have some more involved adventure game or BioWare RPG-type dialogue trees for the Doctor. He's the perfect character for that sort of thing.

It is great to have Matt Smith and Karen Gillian doing it, even though they both sound like they're reading in a recording studio rather than giving full performances. And it's always, always great to hear Nick Briggs do his Dalek thing. Never gets old.

Just finished City of the Daleks. The stealth thing definitely gets old, that's 3/4 of the game. Turning Amy's fading in and out of existence from a side plot point to a main gameplay mechanic was very clever, though. There are a whole lot of things I could nitpick from a gameplay standpoint, but it's obviously been designed with mostly inexperienced and non-gamers in mind, so I'll let most of it slide. Overall it's a decent experience, well worth $5. But boy, would I love to have some more involved adventure game or BioWare RPG-type dialogue trees for the Doctor. He's the perfect character for that sort of thing.

It is great to have Matt Smith and Karen Gillian doing it, even though they both sound like they're reading in a recording studio rather than giving full performances. And it's always, always great to hear Nick Briggs do his Dalek thing. Never gets old.

I've played both episodes so far, and yeah, the stealth thing is a huge part of the game, but it's the Doctor and he really doesn't fit in a first-person type shooter game, so the makers were rather stuck for options, I think.

Matt's performance sounds very flat to me, but Karen sounds like she's at least having a bit of a goof at times.

Still wish it'd been the classic type Daleks instead of the Teletubbies version. Oh, well.

I've played both episodes so far, and yeah, the stealth thing is a huge part of the game, but it's the Doctor and he really doesn't fit in a first-person type shooter game, so the makers were rather stuck for options, I think.

A classic Lucasarts or Telltale style adventure game would be perfect for Who.

Still wish it'd been the classic type Daleks instead of the Teletubbies version. Oh, well.

Me too. Though I tend to think more Power Rangers.

Tore through Blood of the Cybermen today. Gameplay wise it's a step up- more balanced, the puzzles were integrated into the story better, and weren't quite as repetitive (though the "change the sphere color" thing did show up a few times). But what really impressed me was the story, with a bit of polish and extension it would have made a nice Cybermen ep, maybe even a 2 parter.

So overall I'd say this is easily worth the 5 bucks you pay for it outside the UK, and I'd recommend it.

Rory's definitely not plastic anymore. The real Rory returned when Mr and Mrs Pond did, complete with all of his memories from the finale. Plastic/Auton Rory does not exist anymore as the Alliance never happened.

Of course it happened, Magic. Your're not thinking fourth-dimensionaly.

I knew of the release date for the Season 4 Specials CD, but the news that it is a 2CD set is excellent....pre-ordered!

Cumberbatch thing - did anyone else see the interview where he said that he was offered the role of The Doctor before Smith was cast, but turned it down as he didn't want to be on lunchboxes?? Strange thing to say!!

Anyone that might like to hear the BBC Doctor Who 2010 Prom Concert might like to drop me a PM....

Anyone also see the interview where Matt Smith said he intended to only stay for one more season?? Hope it was a wind-up!

Greg

The Specials CD will be a 2-disc set!

If it has the complete score for The End of Time Pt. 2 I might just drop.

Hell yeah!

I should watch a few of these again and 'notice' some of the music, but I'll definitely pre-order this. It'll be waiting for me when I return from the states :lol:

So it never happened, but apparently both Rory and Amy retain full memories of the year that never happened. :thumbup:

Doctor Who exists in a multi-dimensional, multi-universal seting where anything can/cannot, does/does not, will/won't, may/may not happen. Of course, there are those on this site who only limit themselves to watching five series (give or take the odd "special") and, as such, are not able to grasp this concept.

From what I've gathered the reason the Who universe is so "multi-dimensional and multi-universal" is because continuity got thrown out the window 40 odd years ago, while sci-fi conventions and tropes developed and the myriad writers didn't make a habit of researching what others had established before them.

Nothing's changed - even Rusty contradicted himself and others with things like paradoxes and time travel, and Moffat has quietly done away with a lot of those ideas while introducing his own universal physics (which at least have an internal logic that he hasn't contradicted - yet).

From what I've gathered the reason the Who universe is so "multi-dimensional and multi-universal" is because continuity got thrown out the window 40 odd years ago, while sci-fi conventions and tropes developed and the myriad writers didn't make a habit of researching what others had established before them.

Nothing's changed - even Rusty contradicted himself and others with things like paradoxes and time travel, and Moffat has quietly done away with a lot of those ideas while introducing his own universal physics (which at least have an internal logic that he hasn't contradicted - yet).

He will, either in-, or unintentionally. If you want contradictions, mate, then try working out all the diferent versions of Hitchhiker's Guide... :thumbup: IMO, one of "...Who"'s greatest strengths, is that there is no established time-line, so ANYTHING is possible, AND juatifiable.

So it never happened, but apparently both Rory and Amy retain full memories of the year that never happened. :thumbup:

Doctor Who exists in a multi-dimensional, multi-universal seting where anything can/cannot, does/does not, will/won't, may/may not happen. Of course, there are those on this site who only limit themselves to watching five series (give or take the odd "special") and, as such, are not able to grasp this concept.

This is explained by virtue of the fact that Rory and Amy were caught up in the events that led to the year that never happened, and it's resulting erasure. Therefore they alone remember it. Much like Martha not forgetting everything when history is changed at the end of Last of the Timelords.

So it never happened, but apparently both Rory and Amy retain full memories of the year that never happened. :blink:

This is explained by virtue of the fact that Rory and Amy were caught up in the events that led to the year that never happened, and it's resulting erasure. Therefore they alone remember it. Much like Martha not forgetting everything when history is changed at the end of Last of the Timelords.

See? Simple! :thumbup: It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

P.s., I wish I could forget Martha...