The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

She's appearing in the new series of "The Sarah Jane Adventures", along with Matt Smith as the Doctor (with the episode being written by Russell T Davies).

I have not heard anything about Jo being in the next series of Doctor Who.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jo and the 11th Doctor on Sarah Jane. I still need to get a copy of The Wedding of Sarah Jane on DVD.

Nothing is known about series 6 yet. The only little bit of info that we have is that this year's Christmas special is going to be the most "Christmas-y" and will lean heavily on A Christmas Carol. Supposedly.

Is "City Of The Daleks" a direct sequel to "Victory Of The Daleks"? being set in 1963, are there any references to the classic series?

Yes in the sense that it has the Power Ranger Daleks, but that's it. And there are surprisingly few continuity references, not just with the 1963 period on Earth but also

the second and third parts of the game being set on Skaro, which is completely different than it's ever been seen before. I don't even remember the Time War being referenced.

Fresh from SilvaScreen:

Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Doctor Who Tracklisting Announced

We are finally able to confirm the tracklisting for our double CD release Doctor Who Series 4:The Specials. The opening track, Vale is a cue from the larger work Vale Decem (loosely translated as Farewell Ten), which the music builds towards as the departure of the Tenth Doctor becomes imminent. The full version of Vale Decem is at the end of Disc 2.

DOCTOR WHO: SERIES 4 – THE SPECIALS

DISC 1

1. Vale

The Next Doctor

2. A Victorian Christmas

3. Not the Doctor

4. A Bit of a Drag

5. In the Sea of Memory

6. Hidden in the Closet

7. The Wonder of Balloons

8. A Forceful Intelligence

9. The Greats of Past Time

10. The March of the Cybermen

11. Goodbyes

Planet of the Dead

12. A Disturbance in the Night

13. The Cat Burglar

14. Alone in the Desert

15. A Special Sort of Bus

16. Stirring in the Sands

17. Lithuania

The Waters of Mars

18. Letter to Earth

19. By Water Borne ...

20. The Fate of Little Adelaide

21. Altering Lives

DISC 2

The End of Time

1. We Shall Fare Well

2. A Frosty Ood

3. A Dream of Catastrophe

4. All in the Balance

5. A Ruined Gaol

6. Wilf’s Wiggle

7. Minnie Hooper

8. The End Draws Near

9. Gallifrey

10. Final Days

11. The Council of the Time Lords

12. The Master Suite

13. The Ruined Childhood

14. A Chaotic Escape

15. The World Waits

16. A Longing to Leave

17. A Lot of Life Behind Us

18. Dealing with the Menace

19. Speeding to Earth

20. The Time Lords’ Last Stand

21. The Clouds Pass

22. Four Knocks

23. Song for Ten (Reprise)

24. Vale Decem

25. Vale

26. The New Doctor

Nice! So disc 2 is both parts of The End of Time. Not a complete score but it'll certainly have everything important. My only quibble is that I'd like a bit less The Next Doctor and a bit more The Waters of Mars on the first disc, but that's it.

Nice that we get most of the score to End of Time. I'm not sure what to think about so much material presented from The Next Doctor because I thought that special sucked but don't remember the music at all.

I'll probably pre-order both of these as no Dr Who CD has let me down yet.

This from the Dr Who News Page:

"Murray Gold's music from the fifth series of Doctor Who has been reported as being released on CD by Silva Screen on the 8th November 2010, the same day as the series is released on DVD/Blu-ray by BBC Worldwide/2Entertain"

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/

Nice that we get most of the score to End of Time. I'm not sure what to think about so much material presented from The Next Doctor because I thought that special sucked but don't remember the music at all.

I'll probably pre-order both of these as no Dr Who CD has let me down yet.

The Next Doctor had a great score IMO, very Nutcrackerish with some great use of the Cyberman march, even if the episode was a stinker.

• 2 weeks later...

More Doctor Who video game news:

First, the third Adventure Game will be out August 27th. This one is completely centered around the TARDIS, giving players a chance to explore and even fly it.

And, Doctor Who is coming to the Nintendo Wii and DS.

I really wish they'd show a lot more of the TARDIS interior on the actual show. I know we got kinda close, with the wardrobe room in "Christmas Invasion" and the little cubby/alcove this past season, along with passing mentions of swimming pools, etc. And it doesn't have to be featured for the entire episode, just something that will really give kids the idea that this amazing space-time ship is mind-bogglingly HUGE. As opposed to just one large-ish room, which is all they've really seen in the new series. As far as the young folks today are concerned, the interior of the TARDIS is a big room. Whereas, in my day (old geezer warning), it was amazingly huge, with lots of different rooms, hallways, corridors, levels, swimming pools, Sontaran-eating plants... you get the idea. I just think it would make the TARDIS seem even more of an amazing craft.

OK, slight rant over.

I've been saying that since the show came back. Everyone got excited that the new console room this year had all these stairways leading everywhere, and of course the early rumors that an episode (2 I think) was supposed to take place entirely in the TARDIS, and in the end we got nothing again.

Although I don't think we want to hold up The Invasion of Time as the gold standard for Who storytelling ;). Fond memories like me are things like the first couple of eps of Castrovalva that take place entirely in the TARDIS, and even The Edge of Destruction is one of my favorite Hartnells.

I just rewatched the tv movie a couple of weeks ago, funnily enough. I still think that its pretty good. It certainly has a few bad aspects to it (the whole half-human thing especially); but considering a lot of the stories from Doctor Who from the previous seasons, it was definitely a marked improvement. Plus, McGann does a pretty good doctor.

McGann does a pretty good doctor.

There's the problem, right there. McGann "does" a good Doctor, not "IS" a good Doctor. I, for one, although liking his performance, never once believed that he was The Doctor. If you miss out The Movie, then it's easy to go from McCoy, straight to Eccleston without any jump in continunity.

But it's canon! :)

I think McGann was a really good Doctor. I have no problem fitting him into the continuity of the series as a whole. The plot of the TV Movie... eh, it's not good. But it could've been worse. It could've been much, much worse. The Doctor with a talking TARDIS console off in search of his missing Time Lord father Ulysses, for instance...

McGann is a kickass Doctor, he just didn't get a chance to really show it on TV, since half the movie was him having amnesia. He's had an incredibly successful run on audio, however, and has gained quite a number of fans in the process. In any event, he's definitely canon (hence the cameos in Human Nature, the Next Doctor and the Eleventh Hour), so it's great that the TV Movie (mediocre though it is) is hitting America.

McGann's performance was by far the best thing in the movie, other than maybe the TARDIS interior. Eric Roberts just does not work as the Master. And thankfully the whole half human thing was quietly swept under the rug and forgotten about in the new series era.

McGann does a pretty good doctor.

There's the problem, right there. McGann "does" a good Doctor, not "IS" a good Doctor. I, for one, although liking his performance, never once believed that he was The Doctor. If you miss out The Movie, then it's easy to go from McCoy, straight to Eccleston without any jump in continunity.

Maybe I misspoke. If you listen to the audios you can tell that he is very good in the role. Its hard to judge playing a character like this in such a limited time frame so I can understand people feeling this way, but I like his doctor quite a bit. He plays him the way I wish Davison would have some times.

I always thought the TV Movie was McCoy's best performance in the role. I pretty much hated his regular performance as the Doctor. He was either a pathetically unfunny clown (Time and the Rani), or even worse a pompous, self important twat (Ghost Light). His performance in the TV movie was the only time I ever really truly thought he could have been a great Doctor. I honestly think the McCoy years would have worked better without any companions. Mel and Ace are both dreadful, for different reasons. If McCoy had been the character we saw in the TV movie, traveling through time and space alone like a mysterious will-o-the-wisp he could have been amazing.

Hm, I never thought he had much chance to do anything in the movie, but my memory's fuzzy about his bits so I'll hold judgment until I've seen it again. I very much enjoy his performance in his last couple of seasons though, when the Doctor took a darker turn and the Cartmel Plan started to come into effect. There are some good stories from those years.

Looks like it's official. The next season of Doctor Who will be split in half, with the first half airing in the Spring and the second half airing in the Fall. Apparently the Moff specifically requested this split so he could incorporate a massive cliffhanger mid-season. I'm intrigued, but wont a 6-episode half-season seem too bloody short? It'll be over before we've had a chance to settle into it. Especially if it turns out to be a back-heavy season like season 5, in which most of the truly great episodes were saved until the second half of the season.

Full story here:

Looks like it's official. The next season of Doctor Who will be split in half, with the first half airing in the Spring and the second half airing in the Fall. Apparently the Moff specifically requested this split so he could incorporate a massive cliffhanger mid-season. I'm intrigued, but wont a 6-episode half-season seem too bloody short? It'll be over before we've had a chance to settle into it. Especially if it turns out to be a back-heavy season like season 5, in which most of the truly great episodes were saved until the second half of the season.

Full story here:

There's speculation that the cliffhanger is a regeneration and Matt Smith is leaving. I refuse to even entertain the thought. Matt Smith will be the Doctor for the next 50000 years.

Please, if I had 5p for every time there was a cliffhanger/regeneration rumor I could buy the BBC. Not happening.

Personally I really like the idea, it should make for even bigger and braver serialized storytelling than what we've already seen from the new series. I just hope that it'll involve the loose ends that were left from the end of series 5, which I'm sure it will. The Moff is good like that.

Full story here:

There's speculation that the cliffhanger is a regeneration and Matt Smith is leaving.

If only. ;) Ah, well, I can dream, can't I?

I hate this split season idea. 13 weeks is barely enough time to make a good, strong, lasting impression on the general public's radar. To split it and have two mini-seasons means it'll make even less of a big impact during the year. IMHO, anyway. Back in the old days (I know, it's not the old days anymore, so sue me) it would be on around 26 weeks out of the year, and that was a big factor in making it such a memorable, ingrained part of Saturday viewing in the UK. I doubt if the BBC could afford a 26 week season of Doctor Who these days, so I'm accepting of the 13 week seasons. But still, I think this split season is a terrible, terrible idea. More like a dumb stunt.

(I'm just grateful I haven't heard any "Paul McGann is coming back!" idiocy... yet...)

But somehow despite visiting the Titanic shortly before it departs, the presidential cavalcade in Dallas in 1963, and Krakatoa before it erupts, Ecclestone will NEVER LOOK IN A MIRROR. Thus he is surprised when he sees his "new" ears in Rose's mirror when he first enters her appartment in 2005.

That will all be explained in the cliffhanger episode of season 6.

But somehow despite visiting the Titanic shortly before it departs, the presidential cavalcade in Dallas in 1963, and Krakatoa before it erupts, Ecclestone will NEVER LOOK IN A MIRROR. Thus he is surprised when he sees his "new" ears in Rose's mirror when he first enters her appartment in 2005.

That will all be explained in the cliffhanger episode of season 6.

Pixie, you're not thinking 4-dimensionally. He could have done all that when he left The Powel Estate for the frist time (although it's highly unlikely that he would want to).

Only fanboys worry about such things.

In that case, I'm proud to be a fanboy!!!

Nice point Trout. Actually, it would have been great if an unknown girl was standing next to the Doctor in one of those pictures, her face half-hidden by her hair or something. Later it turns out it was Rose.

There's really no reason why those pictures had to be taken BEFORE he met Rose. For all we know, she's the one behind the camera! But yes, I'm also quite the fanboy.

Not possible, due to the fact that it is implied that Eccleston had just regenerated.

There's really no reason why those pictures had to be taken BEFORE he met Rose. For all we know, she's the one behind the camera! But yes, I'm also quite the fanboy.

Not possible, due to the fact that it is implied that Eccleston had just regenerated.

From the standpoint of the events in "Rose", yes. But those pictures that Clive had could still have been taken from any point in the Ninth Doctor's life. Just because we see them at this point in "Rose" doesn't mean the pictures themselves are from prior to "Rose" in his timeline.

From the standpoint of the events in "Rose", yes. But those pictures that Clive had could still have been taken from any point in the Ninth Doctor's life. Just because we see them at this point in "Rose" doesn't mean the pictures themselves are from prior to "Rose" in his timeline.

Oh kaaaaaaaaaaaay. The Titanic/JFK pictures are simply a plot device, and an artistic conceit on the part of RTD. Even if he had met the Titanic family, he would be forbidden to interfere with their eventual demise, as this was a "stone" event i.e., it had already happened.

By the by, does anyone actually buy all this Rassilon crap in "The End Of Time"?

Also, what's with the red spacesuit that The Dream Lord wore in "Amy's Choice"?

• 3 weeks later...

Rest in Peace Geoffrey Burgon.

His two scores for Dr Who contain some of the creepiest and most atmospheric ever written for the show. Seeds of Doom and Terror of the Zygons owe a huge debt of gratitude to Mr Burgon's eery scores. Both scores were released on a single CD about 10 years ago, and it's well worth picking up if you can find it.

EDIT: I found it. Ouch at the price though. I'm glad I picked it up before it got deleted:

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Terror-Zygons-Seeds/dp/B00003XB2C

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention that The Specials soundtrack is now available for download on iTunes. Got mine and listened to a few of the tracks. 'Vale' on disc 2 has a good chunk of unused choral music making up its second half.

Seems like a very nice release ;)

I ordered a copy from Silva and it should arrive tomorrow (I like owning these properly, plus the smaller labels deserve money). No Doctor Who CD has let me down so far, so I'm looking forward to this ;)

This one shouldn't disappoint either Rich as it seems to include just about everything from The End of Time that wasn't tracked from elsewhere as well as presenting cues unedited.

The liner notes from Gold also seem to suggest that's it's complete and as recorded when he makes comments like "did this even make the final cut? I forget...". Or something along those lines ;)

I've listened up through the end of Planet of the Dead. So far, The Next Doctor > Planet of the Dead, but I think I kinda knew that anyway. Pretty much all of it's good stuff so far, though. Judging by some comments on the Gallifrey Base forums, seems like some folks are disappoint by the exclusion of a couple of bits of music, the one mentioned most often that I can recall is, I think, from the reveal of the multiple Masters (the Master race, geddit?) from The End of Time. My memory's not what it was, I know there was music there in the actual show but I can't for the life of me recall it. I don't think anyone on that board's gone so far as to actually majorly piss off a record company person, though... :)

Really looking forward to the Series 5 disc!