The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I hope the next showrunner is from outside the show and brings in a fresh perspective. I'm not all doom and gloom like most fans are towards Moffat and the show recently, but I still recognize that the show needs fresh blood in the creative side.

Gatiss is brilliant on Sherlock, and also did a great job with Adventures In Space And Time.

Sherlock and the current series of Who are very much in a similar style. But what works brilliantly on Sherlock, doesnt work as brilliant on Who, as far as I'm concerned.

Sherlock is grounded in the real wold. As fantastical as the show is, it can't go beyond a certain point of realism. Doctor Who is about a man who is now probably over 1500 years old, from an alien world and travels through time and space in a blue box. Basically anything is possible.

So if Moffat wants a Dalek fleet destroyed by regeneration energy from a Timelord who has just been granted a set of lives from the planet Gallifrey that was destroyed up until last November but can now peak through a crack of time and space that was caused by a TARDIS that was exploded by a Religious Cult called The Silence that is some offshoot of the (Catholic???) Church that apparently manipulated humanity for thousands of years because they needed mankind to go to the moon so they woul;d design a space suit so they could put River Song in one and put her in Lake Silencio which is a fixed point in time and space so she can kill The Doctor there isn't actually a nothing in the laws of science fiction of fantasy that can prevent him from doing that....

Didn't Tegan leave and come back after a while?

In a word: no.

The only recurring companions have been Susan, Zoe, Jamie, Mike (as Captain) Yates, Liz Shaw, Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart,

Sarah-Jane Smith, Rose Tyler, Dr. Martha Jones, Micky Smith, Donna Noble, and Amy Pond. Adric appeared as a vision, in "Time-Flight", after he died in "Earthshock", one story beforehand.

It's now debatable whether Clara Oswald is now a recurring character.

Well, technically Teagan did leave, as the Doctor finally got her back home in Time-Flight. In the next episode, Arc of Infinity, she's on vacation in Amsterdam where she becomes involved with the story and eventually returns to the TARDIS, much to the "delight" of the Doctor.

Allright, I'll give you that one. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite a complicated of officially stating that really nothing has changed! LOL

They probably needed to make that official though, since there was some confusion in fan circles. But I never expected the BBC to actually change the numbering of Doctors. Would be quite confusing for all the merchandise.

Oh sorry. No Clive is the name of the name who stalked the doctor and Rose visits his house. He has a shed with lots of pictures of the doctor. Rose visits his shed and theres this wonderful eery music. The music plays either when she visits his shed or when she googles his name at her house. Sorry I not very specific, couldn't find a clip on YouTube.

Clive_Finch.jpg

2:04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOuK_Kgzy-8 I think its in that scene

Sorry it took so long to bet back to you. I had a look at my Series 27 CD, and there is a cue called "Seeking The Doctor", which is where Rose types in "bluebox". etc. that might be what you are looking for.

It's quite a complicated of officially stating that really nothing has changed! LOL

They probably needed to make that official though, since there was some confusion in fan circles. But I never expected the BBC to actually change the numbering of Doctors. Would be quite confusing for all the merchandise.

Capaldi is the 12th Doctor, nothing really complicated. Tennant (10) wasted a regeneration cycle healing himself in Journey's End because he "didn't want to go" and Hurt existed in the Time War but wasn't a Doctor, he was a Warrior. So, 12th Doctor but 14th body for the Timelord that calls himself The Doctor. Not really that complicated, though it would be decidedly less so if Eccelston got his head out of his rear and took a couple days to film for the 50th.

A 4 Doctors?

Logically speaking The War Doctor should have been McGann. Even if Eccleston wasnt interested in the 50th, they could have used him, but went with a completely new Doctor? It's weird, but I love John Hurt.

I thought John Hurt was good, but pointless as the War Doctor. He really brought nothing new to the table. Like you said, they should have had McGann play him or something.

But maybe its simply because Moffat wanted to tackle the 13 regenerations problem in his tenure.

Oh thats what I believe too.

Has the aborted regeneration in Journey's End ever been speculated about in fan circles? I assume it has.

Yeah, there were rumors about it taking up a regeneration slot prior to the whole War Doctor business.

And I agree with what you guys said regarding McGann. Moffat seems to have said that the only reason Hurt existed was because Eccelston didn't want to do it, yet as you guys mentioned McGann was willing and able to take part in the 50th. If only they had shot The Night of the Doctor before the 50th filming, maybe he would have seen how good McGann really is as the Doctor. Oh well, hopefully we'll get to see 8 appear in a multi-Doc special one of these day.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem arises with Smith's last outfit that other than The Bells of St. John, it always looked dark brown rather than purple. I don't know why they were trying to hide it with the lighting for those episodes as I particularly liked it, though Series 5 is still his best look.

Capaldi definitely is channeling Pertwee, as the red lining reminds me of the cloaks he used to wear. Add that with the hand gesture, and you have to wonder if some Venusian Akido is going to be seen sometime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new around here ... thought I'd pop in and nail my Whovian colours to the Tardis console central column, as it were :D .

Favourite 'classic' Doctor, Tom Baker. Since it came back, have liked both Tennant and Smith (wasn't overly keen on Eccleston). Have a feeling Capaldi will be great.

Nice to have ya around here. My list of Doctor's Favorite to least is as follows. The top and bottom is generally set, though the middle probably fluctuates depending on my mood and what I've watched recently.

Troughton

Smith

Baker (Tom)

McGann

Tennant

Hartnell

Baker (Colin)

Davison

Pertwee

Eccelston

McCoy