The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

'Bred For War' boxset on its way from Amazon, which collects together the 4 Sontaran stories from classic-era Who. £13.50, which is £3.37 a DVD ... not too shabby :) .

I wish they were that cheap in R1. I've easily spent over a $1000 on my collection and still have about 20 stories to get, and god help my wallet if they actually did find all those missing episodes.

I wish they were that cheap in R1. I've easily spent over a $1000 on my collection and still have about 20 stories to get, and god help my wallet if they actually did find all those missing episodes.

You would prefer them not found..?

The only thing "wrong" with the "lost" releases, is that there are absolutely no extras.

'Bred For War' boxset on its way from Amazon, which collects together the 4 Sontaran stories from classic-era Who. £13.50, which is £3.37 a DVD ... not too shabby :) .

"Bred For War", eh? Hmm, child? The one with the 6'6" (!) Sontarans! Laugh as a Sontaran trips over a beach-chair in the swimming pool. :lol:

Would that be in 'The Invasion Of Time', by any chance? The Amazon write-up has it pegged as having the worst depiction of the Sontarans in the show's history, and I had heard there's a story where they're basically sorta dumb 'comic relief'.

Maybe parts of how Strax is written nowadays are inspired by that story, lol.

I believe it is "TIOT", not that I paid much attention to it, being that I just loved Tom Baker sooooo much. ;)

The "new" Sontarans are great, though. I wish that Chris Ryan could return, doing his best "Mike".

You would prefer them not found..?

The only thing "wrong" with the "lost" releases, is that there are absolutely no extras.

Of course I want them found. I adore Troughton and want all of him as possible, as well as DMP because I want more of the The Monk, I just worry whenever I think how much I've invested in all the stories already. Its not as if I could just ignore them if they came out at this point, though I haven't purchased either of the two new ones yet on DVD (got the iTunes release) as I suspect a SE will come eventually for both, probably when the next batch are "found".

What with the aforementioned 'Bred For War' collection arriving today, decided to count the started-last-year collection of 63-89 era DVDS so far.

76. Good God.

More than half way there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was stupid. They could have just released a picture instead.

Glad to hear that about SOTS, somewhat of a curio in Who history of course. Grant has of course now guested in the show as a manifestation of the Great Intelligence, but one suspects he would've made a helluva Doctor beyond a one-time-only animated special (much like McGann deserved better than the misconceived movie, audio adventures and the 50th prequel minisode).

And I will listen closely to Inferno, now you've mentioned the sound.

The Tenth Planet (both the Cybermen's debut story and Hartnell's last one) now in the collection.

I haven't watched that one, yet. Is the regeneration scene aninmated, or live-action?

They animated it over the live action element which still exists. I haven't watched any of the features on the disk, but I assume the original version is there to be viewed separately.

• 2 weeks later...

I have exercised caution in purchasing the DVD releases from the early 00s, I noticed that they don't mention on the back that the picture and sound have been digitally remastered. Not paying for what might be just the VHS version transferred to disc.

Frontier In Space added today for £6 ... not too shabby for a double-discer :) .

Be cautious about buying pre-owned copies of the more older titles (older in release-date, that is), as they will probably be re-released in SEs, soon.

The line is essentially dead.

Unless that Philip Morris guy really is sitting on a trove of missing episodes, they won't be anymore releases in the future beyond boxsets and repacks of already existing material. The Restoration Team have basically been disbanded and don't expect to be called in to produce any new titles or updates to existing ones. Maybe there will be SE versions of the two newly released stories eventually, but that's probably about it unless those missing episodes rumors are true.

And for Sweeping, there are no direct VHS transfers for any of the stories. They were all painstakingly and lovingly restored by a group of dedicated fans. It wasn't until the release of Tomb of the Cybermen, however, that they implemented the process to restore the original video look to film prints of episodes. Only a handful of episodes at this point have not received the VidFire treatment as it was called. Most stories released before this point have been superseded with SE releases, so make sure to always get the most up to date version of the story. Either way though, DVD versions are remarkably better than the VHS counterparts regardless.

Have already seen Planet Of The Daleks when Virgin Media put a lot of vintage Who onto the 'On Demand' section of their digibox content in the run-up to the 50th anniversary last year. Might get the disc at some stage.

The War Machines, The War Games, and The Black Guardian boxset (Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, Enlightenment) all added to the collection over the last few days :) .

Interesting. Thanks for that, Wycket.

How does the Blu of "SFS" compare to the existing DVD?

I have it but have yet to watch it. I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the disc and the feature itself, which was mixed to take advantage of the fact it was on Blu and sort of a special release. Apparently they altered the color slightly to give it a more filmic look. None of the features ported over though, so if you're into that stuff like me hold onto the SE if you get the Blu.

Pertwee couldn't have asked for a better introduction as the Third Doctor ... the first Who story in colour, shot (as Richard said) almost entirely on location.

Full Circle added to collection today.

Pertwee couldn't have asked for a better introduction as the Third Doctor ... the first Who story in colour, shot (as Richard said) almost entirely on location.

Full Circle added to collection today.

Where're the other two stories?

Wasnt The Sontaran Experiment shot totally on film also?

It was shot on video, and entirely on location. No interior scenes at all, which was probably a 1st for Doctor Who.

I have Warrior's Gate, but not State Of Decay (yet). Not really purchasing with any sort of 'plan', it's more random than that.

Sontaran Experiment was also only 2 episodes long, another rare thing in that era of Who with 25-minute runtimes for episodes.

I just hope series 8 won't be all over the place writing wise and actually have some baddies that are, i dunno....interesting?

That might be the greatest diffence between the Moffat and RTD era.

The charecterization and motivation of the villains is often really lacking under the current regime.

There hasnt been a really strong Dalek or Cyberman story in years. New baddies like the Silence remain under developped and even when they return to characters from the classic show it's not that interesting.

Just compare how RTD recreated The Master versus last series The Great Intelligence. One was a great character, sharply drawn with a clear sense of purpose. The other one seemed so ill-defined in comparison.

That was a good thing actually. Far better then the unbearably slow 6 parters from that era. Genesis Of The Daleks has 90 minutes of interesting stuff spread over almost 3 hours.

That's exactly how I would describe Torchwood Miracle Day.

Never made it to the end of Miracle Day ... such a drop-off from the brilliant Children Of Earth (which I guess we'd better just pretend Capaldi wasn't in, lol ... see also The Fires Of Pompeii).

The Keys Of Marinus and The Invisible Enemy added to the collection :) .