The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Maybe he's trying to find Gallifrey!

The Mind Robber

Overly long, but rather enjoyable and clever second Doctor adventure. Throughton is always fun to watch. One can clearly see that he was Matt Smith's inspiration for 11.

Into the Dalek tonight, it was a weaker second episode imo. I liked the novel Fantastic Journey concept, but again the really pedestrian action choreography and staging really undermines the attempt at a more philosophical look at the Daleks (and the Doctor). I do appreciate the noble intentions of the writers, but really I just struggle with suspense direction which lacks peril and threat. It needs to be more convincing, more visceral. Everything is so static; let's have some inventive camera movement! Good action direction doesn't necessarily mean bigger budget.

The special effects in the space battle early on were quite decent.

Capaldi and Clara were okay, but I prefer it when they have more intimate scenes together, which can be genuinely interesting and touching.

Are plot holes an accepted mainstay in Doctor Who? If so I'll go along with it, I'm not nit-picky like that. So it's fine that in one scene everyone is covered in gunky human slime and in the next they're all bone dry pristine again with perfectly styled hair. And I suppose it's just to be presumed that our shrunken explorers were able to unshrink themselves back to safety and without the aid of engineers back in normality. That's okay too, at a stretch.

All in all, not a bad episode. I just hope the bizarre creativity and sense of fun returns in future episodes.

Yeah you really need to learn to live with the odd number of plot holes.

As for action, this one was actually quite decent, as Who goes. Which really doesnt do action terribly well.

I liked the opening scene where Capaldi basically laid down the law to that female soldier.

So far the script is hinting at finding its groove, but it needs to be sharper. There's a snappyiness to the dialogue, but a lot of lines lack punch. But it's still early days, with a new Doctor.

On the 'covered in slime, but not in the next scene' thing ... the Doctor is heard to say something about how the way out from the Dalek's digestion system is via 'a decontamination tube'. It's quick, but it's there.

Saw someone mention on Facebook how they thought the 'arrow plot fix' was 'too far-fetched'.

I thought to myself 'Soooo ... you're watching a programme about a 2000 year-old two-hearted humanoid alien (who can 'regenerate' his body) who travels through time and space in a post-WW2 Police Box which is 'bigger on the inside' and the ARROW thing was too far-fetched for you?' ROTFLMAO

Saw someone mention on Facebook how they thought the 'arrow plot fix' was 'too far-fetched'.

I thought to myself 'Soooo ... you're watching a programme about a 2000 year-old two-hearted humanoid alien (who can 'regenerate' his body) who travels through time and space in a post-WW2 Police Box which is 'bigger on the inside' and the ARROW thing was too far-fetched for you?' ROTFLMAO 

It was a stupid fix. Even by Doctor Who standards. WTF? shooting a golden aarow onto the back of the ship somehow adds more power? It's ridiculous. Apart from this err in writing, the episode was good fun.

I thought to myself 'Soooo ... you're watching a programme about a 2000 year-old two-hearted humanoid alien (who can 'regenerate' his body) who travels through time and space in a post-WW2 Police Box which is 'bigger on the inside' and the ARROW thing was too far-fetched for you?' ROTFLMAO

It was a stupid fix. Even by Doctor Who standards. WTF? shooting a golden aarow onto the back of the ship somehow adds more power? It's ridiculous. Apart from this err in writing, the episode was good fun.

They needed gold to power the ship. The arrow act to added to the reserve and give them a boost. Was it the best execution? No, but it fit the episode and was better than the Doctor waving his sonic around.

I thought to myself 'Soooo ... you're watching a programme about a 2000 year-old two-hearted humanoid alien (who can 'regenerate' his body) who travels through time and space in a post-WW2 Police Box which is 'bigger on the inside' and the ARROW thing was too far-fetched for you?' ROTFLMAO

They needed gold to power the ship.  The arrow act to added to the reserve and give them a boost.  Was it the best execution?  No, but it fit the episode and was better than the Doctor waving his sonic around. 

The ship needed gold, right, by how did piercing the side of the ship with the arrow transfer the gold to the ships reserves? I agree with the overuse of the sonic. The Power of Three was solved with the Screwdriver making another lame ending.

The Power Of Three was pretty lame anyway

Definitely. They should have gone more of a Trouble with Tribbles route with it, having it be a merchant trying to unload a bunch of junk on Earth or the like. Get a real good comedy presence to show up at the end and it would have been a fun enough episode.

The first part of The Power Of Three is fine, but after those boxes open, they try to do a Russel T Davies "The Earth Is Going To Be Invaded/Destroyed" story, and it fails utterly.

Btw, interesting critique on Capaldi

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/2014/09/12/small-number-of-fans-cant-understand-peter-capaldi-reports-guardian/

The Robin Hood episode had me rolling my eyes for the first 20 mins but once the 'Promised Land' reveal hit I perked up a bit and ended up mildly enjoying the silliness of it all. Clara was annoying in this one though, she has an irritating smart arse grin sometimes don't you think?

Talk more about it tomorrow.

They need subtitles for their own home produced content so it doesn't surprise me in the least. Wife Swap USA actually had subs for the trailer trash dialogue - which I was able to understand with no issues from across the Atlantic ocean.

I think parts of America have a major syntax blind spot where regional varieties of the English tongue are concerned.

The farfetchedness of the basis of DW is ingrained into pop culture.

When a week-by-week plot doesn't make sense, or seems weak, it stands out far more. I thought most of season 7 was fairly humdrum, and season 8 isn't much better in terms of originality (give me a plot that doesn't involve robots or mechanised beings), but none of that makes me like the premise of the show any less.

I will have to re-watch episodes 2 and 3 again - I had them on while tidying up after returning from holiday, and wasn't paying exactly 100% attention. I like Capaldi, but I wish the stories were better.

Originality when something has been on for as long as Who has must be difficult, a certain amount of 'recycling' is to be expected. As Moffat has said of the Doctor's oldest foes 'Logically, when the Daleks find out it's the Doctor they're up against again they really should just turn and run ... look at how often he's defeated them'.

Is it ironic that I was totally fine with the golden arrow "plot fix"? I don't understand why the actual Who legion would complain about something like that when I thought such convenient devices were long considered part and of parcel of the show?

That is also something I noticed when I started following the Dr. Who forum a while ago.

A large number of fans hate anything that is remotely cheesy, or overly comical. Anything that has to do with a lighter tone, or remind them that Dr. Who is essentially a family show. (last year two kids were featured for an episode and everyone cried foul! Tom Baker didnt have kids in his TARDIS!!!)

Also the almost anal attention to series continuity some fans give to a show that has run for 50 years and had countless of writers and producers is simply staggering. Complaining that something mentioned in last week's show clashes with a remark the third Doctor made in a serial in 72...

I can really only stay in there for like 10 minutes at a time before feeling ill....

Doctor Who for me only works if you don't take it 100% seriously, like Buffy, or Xena in the 90's. It's not The Wire, or The Sopranos.

Listen

For most of the episode it seems like we are watching a rather excellent ghost story with a creature that is always there, but we can never see. Very much akin to The Silence or the Weeping Angels, both conceived by Moffat, but at last it turns into something very different.

For the last 2 series many of Moffat's stories seemed haphazard. A flurry of interesting ideas and great lines without much connecting tissue between them, flung at you at high speed, not caring if you were fast enough to catch them all. The Day Of The Doctor probably being the sole exception of a story that could be followed with relative ease.

Thankfully with this new, older Doctor the pace of the story telling has really been turned down a notch, so the atmosphere finally has a chance to play a part again. Like most Moffat scripts this is filled with clever timey whimey stuff, but it actually works rather well this time.

I liked the going back and forth to the really awful date...though I've had worse dates then that.

Coleman really does come into her own here. Last week Clara was a tad annoying, swooning over Robin Hood. Here for the first time the character returns to some of the concepts of series 7, as a person who, by accident has had a huge effect on the shaping of who the Doctor is.

I'm probably overusing the word "gravitas" when it comes to Capaldi, but if you are doing a ghost story, having a lead with a thick Scottish accent, and who looks like Capaldi looks really does work wonders.

As the Doctor, he doesnt need to work nearly as hard as Tennant or Smith did to carry the dramatic weight required for such a story.

Dr. Who is a show that has done a lot of sudden dramatic revelations in recent years, to the point that they frankly became a burden. But the big reveal in this one really did work for me. As did the way it tied to The Day Of The Doctor without overstating it. (Just before the flashback I actually wondered if they only had barns on Gallifrey)

Just 4 episodes in and it does seem to be a far tighter and balanced series then last year.

No obvious mention of the "promised land" arc, but during the date there was again a slightly disturbing reference to Danny killing a woman. No clear idea yet where the series is going, but I like that.

I don't really know what any of that episode was about, but I quite liked it. It was weird. Doctor Who is best when it's weird... abstract.

But I have no idea why Clara is chasing after Dan the soldier man like a desperate bunny boiler; the guy is clearly a demented sociopath and probably dangerous.

This episode was probably quite meta for a non fan.

Basically the ending revealed that by accidentally transporting to The Doctors youth, and finding him crying in that barn, Clara pretty much started him on his way. Her "big speech" not only instilling the concept of the ghostly figure you can never see in the good Doctor's mind, but also the concept of the companion...a staple of the series. And ofcourse the sound of the TARDIS waking him up.

And yeah, that whole Danny thing doesnt seem like it can end well.

Lee, I know you are normally critical of how the Beeb shoots, but for the most part I thought it looked very good, visually.

Coleman looked stunning, btw....

Yes it was definitely a better shot episode imo. And it was good to just have the characters tell the story and let the atmosphere speak for itself; there was no novelty special effects getting in the way.

Unfortunately the ending was almost entirely lost on me, which is a shame, but cheers for explaining it. I sort of see how it would have been cool for the fans.

Yeah. Loved the quite slow pace of the episode. The creature under the blanket...which probably did turn out just to be a boy trying to scare Rupert was actually quite a tense scene for several minutes, without any kind of flashiness of special effects.

Die hard Who fans will hate the line "This was he'll never become a Time Lord". Which now establishes that the term Time Lord is a rank, rather then the name of his species.

The forums will be ablaze with hate tonight!

I'm guessing we are the only two who watch the show live on BBC 1.

What the hell was that Tumble show before they broadcast before Who all about????

Alex Jones looks and sounds hot though. Can't resist a Welsh accent.

I loved that episode - such a refreshing change from the previous weeks' nonsense. Wonderful character exploration, and great writing from Moffatt.

I noticed a lot of the music too.

I'm also skeptical about there being a kid under the blanket. But I guess some things are just never meant to be revealed/understood.

Once again, Moffat's skill in making the mundane/familiar (kids in gasmasks, shadows, statues and now 'monsters under the bed' and fear of the dark) terrifying was in full effect in 'Listen' ... genuinely felt my scalp/back of my neck prickling at times.

As for the rest (Danny, Clara's connection to the Doctor's past, the brief 'revisit' of Day Of The Doctor), you've all said it better than I could've. This series continues to intrigue, thrill, scare and amuse ... and thank God for that :D .

4 episodes in and I'm much more confident in this season then I was 4 eps in last year....

So far this is turning into the best series since 5. Series 6 felt very disjointed to me and never really worked. Series 7 really didn't start until The Snowman as far as I'm concerned, as those first five episodes should never had happened like that and completely were poorly produced. So glad Moffat decided to go back to a more basic approach.

Loved the last episode. Moffat has always excelled more at writing isolated stories over big season arcs, and boy does this deliver. One of the best, if not the best, episodes in the last 2/3 seasons (I'm losing track...). There was genuine atmosphere to it with a fair bit of heart too. And Capaldi once again delivers.

I was a skeptic of this season and its new Doctor, but consider me on board. I have faith! Keep it up, and maybe we'll have a really clean season!

I didnt pick up the new Doctor theme

I don't think it was used in this episode. There was another "emotional" melody in there somewhere though.

In some ways the lack of obvious theme reminds me of series 1 and 2. The Doctor did have a theme, but it was used very sparingly. It was only till The Doctor Forever was composed that it became a staple.

Weird to to hear them still use "I Am The Doctor" in the previews for next weeks ep...

KK i agree with you about Moffat not doing that well with his arcs. Series 5 was fine overall. But 6 and 7 were just a mess.

Robot of Sherwood was great all except the arrow plot fix at the end. Loved the dungeon scene!

That was a nod to BBC's "Robin Hood", namely Robin's escape in "Sisterhood." As someone who doesn't regularly watch DW, I had fun with "Robots", and Clara looked very fetching in that red dress. And the forest duel was hilarious, much better than it read in the script. Tom Riley's Robin was okay, a bit too fey and pompous for my taste. But Capaldi's demeanor was utterly hilarious, and it was a fun 40+ minutes.

I do think the BBC missed a golden opportunity to do a crossover special with this Robin:

37-2_zpsc88f4b12.jpg

I'm sure Alvar will agree with me on this.