The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

According to Wiki this episode originated in the Matt Smith era, and it kinda feels like it. Very season 6/7 in it's pacing.

Obviosly they rewrote it for Capaldi's doctor though. Because I doubt 11 would have just upped and left like 12 did.

Like Listen, it starts out seemingly being a scary story and slowly turns into something else. But the "scary" stuff in the beginning really wasnt scary, and by the time we get to the heart of the episode, the morality tale of "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" (sorry for mixing franchises) there isnt any time left to really deal with it.

Some interesting parts:

The Doctor pisses of and lets the humans decide for themselves, which surely much be a rare occurrence.

The 3 left to decide the fate or Earth, or the space baby are all women, making this seem very much like an abortion metaphor. (not sure at this point if that was intended)

Capaldi's Doctor has always come of as a more cynical, ruder one, but here he really is a manipulative and pompous asshole.

Which leads to the best and most interesting part of the episode, where Clara says that she has had enough!

Coleman's acting in this scene and indeed the whole episode is excellent and actually sort of saves this otherwise lackluster episode.

Like KK said. Doctor Who has always been silly, and I dont have any real problem with the moon being a space egg about to hatch. But in the first part of the ep I wasnt scared and in the second one I wasnt very involved with the moral dilemma.

Some promising ideas, but poorly executed.

I thought that was a superb episode - interesting that you guys didn't like it.

The monsters were crap IMO - way too CGI reliant, and I think that if you don't have the budget to do it properly, then don't do it.

I'm not sure what the Doctor's motive was though - he knew what would happen, yet he still let them decide - essentially risking the entire human race on whether Clara would make the right decision.

Parallel to be drawn with The Beast Below too. Smith's Doctor is pissed off that Amy has taken the decision away from him, and now Capaldi is shocked when Clara doesn't want it.

Like KK said. Doctor Who has always been silly, and I dont have any real problem with the moon being a space egg about to hatch. But in the first part of the ep I wasnt scared and in the second one I wasnt very involved with the moral dilemma.

Some promising ideas, but poorly executed.

The moon being a egg doesn't bother me. Its more the decisions made after that discovery. I mean no moon = great consequences (not just tidal waves), so I never understood why Clara was so torn. It was over-sentimentalizing it. Obviously its a 99℅ chance Earth would have suffered colossal damage. And how Earth do prokartotic organisms create spiderlike creatures?! Not to mention the poor CGI...

But that's not even my major complaint. None of the emotional beats are allowed to breathe. Everything is rushed, so it all feels terribly false.

Even Clara couldn't quite save it for me. I am interested to see how her companionship is going to end this season though.

Suspect the Doctor will be by himself in 'Mummy On The Orient Express' after how 'Kill The Moon' ended - hoping for an episode where he's more straightforwardly heroic, a 'palate cleanser' is needed after the jerk-esque behaviour in KTM.

Kill The Moon seems to be among the most divisive episodes when it comes to the Doctors action. Many seem to think Clara is a whiny little bitch, while others think the Doctor crossed a few lines.

I belong in the second camp. Some of his behaviour is very unlike The Doctor. Since when does he ever let humanity sort things out themselves?

I loved the episode. Reminded me of something out of the Tom Baker era, actually, though the Doctors actions were more McCoy than anything. This season really feels like Classic Who more than any of the previous seasons, and I am really appreciating. Its too bad that so many seemed to not like the episode, I thought it was spooky and eerie, and had a nice metaphor with the dragon egg.

Mummy On The Orient Express

Now that's more like it, even if the ending raises more questions then it answers.

The mystery is a fairly typical Whovian murder mystery, albeit stylishly realized. The sets and costumes looked great. And the CGI for the exterior shots was excellent.

The 66 seconds thingy was well done,and was kept varied enough so not to be to repetitive. Loved Capaldi's seemingly cold hearted manner during the last few countdowns.

Natutally at the end the Doctor figures the whole thing out and saved the univer...eeehhh train. As usual the resulution is done a bit fast. But a lot of loose ends are left hanging.

Who is Gus? Why was he trying to find out about the mummy? Who was using the mummy and why? Was it Missy? And if so are the people who died in this ep in "the Nethersphere"?

So this certainly is not a stand alone episode.

The other aspect is the bruised relationship between the Doctor and his companion.

Capaldi's Doctor seems so callous, cynical and coldhearted that compared to the Matt Smith one, or practically any other incarnation some of the core values of the character seems to have been lost. Even to his companion. But ultimatly it is a facade. This is all played beautifully by Capaldi and a STUNNING looking Jenna Coleman.

Music was pretty good, though they really turned dopwn the volume this season. The new Doctopr theme is used a lot this time. But I noticed it in an interesting variety once ot twice. And some nice string work near the end.

The last few minutes of the episode felt a bit weird. Going from the exploding train to some planet, with the Doctor possibly lying, and giving engineer Perkins some really intense looks.

I've only just discovered Doctor Who through the music (which coincided with the start of Series 8) and I'm totally hooked. I love the music and am just curious how long it takes from the end of the series for the music to be released?

The Caves Of Androzani

The last serial to feature the rather bland and tepid Peter Davidson as the Doctor.

What a rather unpleasant story this is. Full of scheming, distrustful and murderous characters. No one to root for, and no one for the Doctor to align himself with.

His character actually rather muddles his way through the story, being captured by this side and that, and escape rather easily (a staple flaw of Classic Doctor Who)

Surprising for a children's show how violent it is. Sure these no blood, but it's full of scenes of people shooting each other with glee, torture, death. The final confrontation between the villains feels like a Sam Peckinpah film.

The Doctor dies, in a noble gesture of self sacrifice towards him companion, and the Bland Davidson is replaced by the awful looking Colin Baker.

Of the classic Who serials I've seen many were dull, some were fun and ingenious, but this one was unfocused, muddled, didnt actually have the Doctor do much of anything and had actually quite a violent, unpleasant edge to it.

Quite a bad one.

Heh, Caves often finds itself in the Top Ten of Who 'favourite/best story' polls.

Enjoyed Orient Express - Clara was maybe locked up for a little too long and the explanation of what the 'mummy' actually was possibly was a little rushed, but good other than that. Big grins this end at the 'jelly baby case' and 'Are you my mummy?'.

Yeah the Mummy episode was a good step up after the last episode. As with most Moffat episodes, the extravagance of the plotline doesn't account for all the details, but I think we're all used to that by now. It was a fun Who-vian adventure.

And I'm really loving the Clara-Doctor dynamic here. More effective than Matt Smith's relationship with her, maybe even more than Amy Pond (but that may largely be because Jenna Coleman is the better actor).

And Peter Capaldi is quickly shaping up to be one my favourite Doctors.

Heh, Caves often finds itself in the Top Ten of Who 'favourite/best story' polls.

Enjoyed Orient Express - Clara was maybe locked up for a little too long and the explanation of what the 'mummy' actually was possibly was a little rushed, but good other than that. Big grins this end at the 'jelly baby case' and 'Are you my mummy?'.

Yes. PD himself has stated that it was his favourite story.

It's been a long time since I watched, but I do remember the dragon - or whatever it was - as being a bit silly. Still, it was nice to see Robert Glennister, and Maurice Roeves, and it was smartly directed by Graeme Harper, one of the very few DW directors to truly understand the programme.

Finally caught up on the new season this weekend:

Thoughts:

Great doctor. Some of the worst writing this show has seen. Such a shame.

I either can't hear the music or it's completely forgetable

Visual effects have noticeably gone down since season 5. Budget cuts? You can even see it in the intro Plastic Tardis

I think Capaldi might be the last doctor for a while. I just don't think the show will sustain much longer in its current Moffat iteration.

I like Clara and the new Doctors comparative mellowness. Nice change of pace from the crazy red head and the mad man with a box

I'm sure Moffat will decide to move on soon, to help re-energize the series. But Capaldi is great!

And Blume, most of the music is pretty forgettable this season,

My wife is trying to watch everyting there is on Netflix(she's an idiot) so she has been watching Doctor Who. I've tried to join

her and watched some episodes, I must confess I'm so disapointed. This is famous Who, I have seen 3 different doctors, ugly pigs and terrible special effects! Come on, if I had a time machine, I would go some cool places. Or is this some kind of camp, I don't get?

I gave it the entire first season, christmas special, and first 3-4 episodes of the second season before giving up. Just isn't for me.

You have to stick through it. Then you start to care for the characters, and it becomes that hour of campy fun you have every Saturday.

See I didn't have that, so the first couple of episodes were hard to get through. Heck I kind of struggled with the whole first season (though it has it's merit). And then with the budget increase for the second season (some nicely shot episodes) and the growing relationships, I just kind of grew to love it, so much so that the classic BillIe Piper farewell did hit me a bit.

I feel like the more casual JWFanners would probably benefit from starting from the Matt Smith era, though I stand by David Tenant as my favourite Doctor.

That article mentions something I'd read before in an interview with the Moff about how at least once a season there's a 'Doctor Who's ratings are down' story ... he said that the overnight ratings don't factor in people who have recorded Who to watch at another time, or those who catch it on the iPlayer. When those viewers are added on, it can amount to another couple of million.

The Horror Of Fang Rock

An effective Tom Baker story which benefits from it's confined sets, taking place mostly within an old light house, and moody atmosphere. The special effects are as naff as ever, but the story is well told as an alien blob which feeds of electricity starts killing of people one by one. Tom Baker is a master and been both eccentric and authoritative, and his companion Leela is actually quite an interesting character. A primitive savage rather then a modern English girl. Some thing the new series should look into.

Am currently 2 eps into Pertwee's 'The Sea Devils' ... excellent swashbuckling swordfight between the Doctor and the Master at the end of Episode 2.

"The Sea Devils": DW at it's very, very, very best! The "Clangers" joke is priceless!

tumblr_ndnpsky9wx1rt5ctno2_500_zpshgdmrs

Flatline

Another solid one.

Plays a little bit like a Doctor-lite episode, like Midnight. Since it features him in a limited capacity.

Love the idea of the shunken TARDIS, some very nice comedy coming from that. Especially the Adams Family homage.

Quite an interesting concept for a villain. And also the first time this series I think that the baddies weren't some misunderstood alien. The "I AM THE DOCTOR" moment in this episode is quite good. And I rather like that secondary Doctor Theme (it's been used before, but comes into it's own here).

Coleman pretty much caries the episode and does an excellent job as "The Doctor". A nice development from her earlier stance of leaving the Tardis. Very nice interplay between her and Capaldi, who spends a lot of time in her handbag.

the final scene with Missy is intriguing.....