The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Fair enough, if Eccleston had been terrible we wouldn't be eagerly anticipating the start of another new series 12 years on. But he was always too 'ordinary bloke from Manchester' for me, lacking that 'eccentric/slightly mad university lecturer/professor' air that I think is essential to the character.   

The four knocks prophecy from the Tenant specials was more entertaining and shorter lived than those that followed in the Moffat years. The Doctor's name, the question, bah, that shit dragged out for years and we still don't know the Doctor's name anyways. I figured Steve. 

4 minutes ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

The four knocks prophecy from the Tenant specials was more entertaining and shorter lived than those that followed in the Moffat years. The Doctor's name, the question, bah, that shit dragged out for years and we still don't know the Doctor's name anyways. I figured Steve. 

FYI, The Doctor's name is a mathematical formula, that is completely unpronounceable to anyone who is not from Gallifrey.

There's an entire season and Xmas special left with Moffat....

Such Moffat haters around here and you're all wrong.  How does it feel to live life being so wrong?

I hope that in a couple of years people start to be more cleareyed about what a strong writer he was throughout his showrunning seasons.  Some really really great stuff.

It happened with RTD, I remember many fans had a lot nasty things to say about him by the end.

Agreed.

Except the last Christmas special (which I will buy when it's issued with series 35), I own every one of SM's episodes as show runner. I even watched DEEP BREATH, today. Heck, I double-dipped for the Blu end-of MS set (the 50th ann. concert, at the RAH is stunning!).

SM is not bad, but his tenure won't go down on DW history, as one of the best.

Even his most recent episode was just fantastic.  I loved that Xmas special.

The one with Nick Frost as Santa was amazing, my favorite special of the whole series.

The Christmas Invasion was weird because it showed the Doc nearly dead after a regeneration until past the halfway mark, but after regenerating into Smith and Capaldi, this did not happen. Fortunately, too, or the TARDIS would have crashed and killed the story. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

So, you admit to having a problem with gays?

I swear I don't!

Oh no, and I really don't like Mark Gatiss' writing either!  (except Cold War which was brilliant)

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's like an inverse.  None of my favorite episodes of the RTD era were written by the showrunner, while all of my favorites of the Moffat era were.

To each his own.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So, you admit to having a problem with gays?

Wait 'till he starts watching JN-T! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I swear I don't!

Oh no, and I really don't like Mark Gatiss' writing either!  (except Cold War which was brilliant)

THE UNQUIET DEAD is great.

Just now, Richard said:

THE UNQUIET DEAD is great.

I agree!  It's literally the only other good episode he's written, though.  His "Sleep No More" from last year is down there with my least favorite Doctor Who episodes of all time.

Yeah Idiot's Lantern is pretty terrible.  The second season was pretty rough, mostly.

School Reunion

Girl in the Fireplace

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit

Those were the only good ones.

It's not brilliant, but Ron Cook was good, in it. Yes, FEAR HER is, simply, vile.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Victory Of The Daleks is gre....no wait!

I like  VICTORY... and I love the Arnold touches, in the score. Ian McNeice is fantastic. KBO!

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah Idiot's Lantern is pretty terrible.  The second season was pretty rough, mostly.

School Reunion

Girl in the Fireplace

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit

Those were the only good ones.

Not much wrong with Tooth And Claw and the two-parter that reintroduced the Cybermen either, IMO. New Earth wasn't so bad, and the snark-off between the Daleks and the Cybermen in the season finale is a hoot.