Good Jaws DVD News!

Lurker

Universal will be releasing a 30th Anniversary edition of Jaws on DVD in June. No word on whether this is a new video transfer or the same as the disc that came out 5 years ago, but this new disc will have the original mono soundtrack! You can read all about it here.

Here's one to scratch off of the list. Now all we need are the original mixes for Superman - The Movie and Star Wars on legit DVDs. :mrgreen:

Neil

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Both English 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Mono Audio tracks!!

Good news, for those who'll get the Region 1 DVD...

(this will be released on June 14th, the day next to my birthday, althought I'm not 30 years old.)

Well - gotta say that the 25th Anniversary Edition was enough for me......but of course I agree about the Star Wars and Superman DVD's.... :mrgreen:

Yay! I've been looking around for Jaws for a while, but haven't found it yet. This makes me happy, because now I have another reason to wait. I'm hoping we'll get a new transfer (although the old one was pretty good too), and the full "Making of..." documentary as it was produced for the LaserDisc, not the butchered version on the current DVD.

Mono 2.0 sounds pretty silly, though. Why not just make it center channel? :mrgreen:

- Marc, assuming there will be an R2 release as well of course.

Well, what I said in my first post about Mono 2.0 wa obviously ironic...how useless is that?

Who in the hell will select the Mono track, when the 5.1 is also available?? The space wasted by the 2.0 channel should be used by some extras. What about a John Williams Oscar-Winning score tribute video?

Well, what I said in my first post about Mono 2.0 wa obviously ironic...how useless is that?

Who in the hell will select the Mono track, when the 5.1 is also available?? The space wasted by the 2.0 channel should be used by some extras. What about a John Williams Oscar-Winning score tribute video?

Rubbish. I think it's pretty ironic that in a time when films can be perfectly preserved digitally, so many old sound mixes seem to get lost in the process. While the visuals are preserved splendidly, the old mixes are ditched for new, bass-laden mixes with "enhanced" sound effects. This means the movie is not presented in its original format, something which DVD should be optimal for.

You are free to choose the 5.1 mix of course, if that is what you prefer. I certainly will be checking both out and from then onward select my preferred choice.

BTW, this set will be a double-disc, so the first disc should be devoted entirely to presenting the movie proper in its optimal form. The extras can be put on disc 2.

- Marc, looking forward to this release.

Tommy, the 5.1 track is the new mix, that many people don't like... The 2.0 is the original 1975 one.

And the 1975 mix won an Oscar. The 5.1 mix needs to be given to Oscar.

oscar50.jpg

Neil

So now I'm confused. Why did you bother posting the second time where you actually condemned the mono track? Why would you contradict yourself? It's all very bizarre.

On second thought, don't even bother replying, I'm just thinking out loud here. This is a Jaws thread not the "Why did Tommy post conflicting messages?" thread.

Neil - who hopes Universal goes back to the original poster art for this release

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone shed some light on the differences between the new and old mixes (mono 2.0 vs. 5.1?) of Jaws. Say I have the current DVD relelase - how does the sound mix differ from the original '75 release? What about the mixes on the OST and the 25th anniversary soundtrack on cd?

-Snowster

Neil, in the first time, I didn't thought the Mono track was the original 1975 mixing, so I thought it was useless, but then I realized it's the original mix, so I think it's good to have both. OK?

And yes, the artwork asn't that great for the 25th Anniversary Edition. The original was better.

Mirko - posting this at 4:45 A.M........so goodnight and Happy Easter to everybody who are bored by my presence. :wave: (also, post #1983, like the year I was born)

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone shed some light on the differences between the new and old mixes (mono 2.0 vs. 5.1?) of Jaws. Say I have the current DVD relelase - how does the sound mix differ from the original '75 release? What about the mixes on the OST and the 25th anniversary soundtrack on cd?

The 5.1 mix was completely new. The only remaining elements from 1975 were naturally the dialogue and the music, but even they didn't survive the re-mix that well. Everything else, all of the sound effects and foley were all new and totally clash in terms of fidelity with the elements recorded in 1975. Plus it is all assembled in a very haphazard fashion, never sounding integrated with the 1975 film you are watching.

The music, as mixed in 1975, had a great deal of low end weight, adding a great sense of the primal, while the new 5.1 music mix makes it sound like you're in a concert hall. Great for showing off Williams's music, but bad for trying to experience Jaws. This was not how the music was meant to be heard. The dialogue mix is pathetic, since you never hear Scheider complete his line, "Smile, you son of a bitch!". The "bitch" is obscured by effects, whereas in the mono mix it is audible. That is the ultimate release in the film, after 2 hours of tension, and it falls flat. That right there makes the 5.1 track worthless.

The 1975 mix is scary and sounds like it was made by people who had been working on the movie for a long time. The 2000 5.1 mix sounds like it was made by an amateur easily impressed with putting sounds in every channel.

As for the albums, the 1975 OST is a rerecording while the 25th anniversary album is the music as recorded for the film, slightly resequenced by John Williams. You can't really compare the mixes on them. If you want the best sounding Jaws album, get the Varese.

Neil

Neil - who hopes Universal goes back to the original poster art for this release

I said the same thing over at Spielbergfilms.com this afternoon. Why in Gods name would you not use one of the most PERFECT film posters ever as your DVD cover. There are some real brains over at Universal.

Hopefully this'll also have the full documentry.

Hopefully as there is much more Williams footage, I specifically like the analysis of Sea Attack No.1 with the Korngoldian references etc.

This is excellent news!

- Tim.

I said the same thing over at Spielbergfilms.com this afternoon.  Why in Gods name would you not use one of the most PERFECT film posters ever as your DVD cover.  There are some real brains over at Universal.

I gotta agree here, the 25th anniversary version doesn't look scary at all.

Stefancos- watching Air Jaws on the Discovery Channel, a docu about Great Whites taking off into the air. :wave:

The music, as mixed in 1975, had a great deal of low end weight, adding a great sense of the primal, while the new 5.1 music mix makes it sound like you're in a concert hall.  Great for showing off Williams's music, but bad for trying to experience Jaws.  This was not how the music was meant to be heard.  The dialogue mix is pathetic, since you never hear Scheider complete his line, "Smile, you son of a bitch!".  The "bitch" is obscured by effects, whereas in the mono mix it is audible.  That is the ultimate release in the film, after 2 hours of tension, and it falls flat.  That right there makes the 5.1 track worthless.

Neil

I hadn't noticed this......perhaps time to revisit Jaws.....

Play it in Pro-Logic.

The problem is, many Mono 2.0 DD tracks (why don't they just do 1.0 tracks??) don't have the Pro-Logic flag set. Meaning that my amp will automatically turn it off, meaning that all the mono sound will come from my two stereo speakers. There's a reason why they manufacture centre speakers differently, and that reason is that dialogue is far better to understand from my centre than my stereo speakers...

Anyway, what I'd like to see is a DTS stereo/surround remix of the original mono track. I've obviously never heard the original track (I don't count watching the German dub on TV), but I'm generally not happy when a movie comes with a mono score when there actually exists a good stereo mix of the music. And say what you will about the DTS track on the old Jaws DVD (I generally like it, except for details like the "b*bang*tch" thing etc..., but then, as I've said, I've never heard the original mono mix) - the score sounds stunning in DTS.

Marian - who probably won't buy the new release anyway.

:wave: The Robe (Alfred Newman)

And say what you will about the DTS track on the old Jaws DVD (I generally like it, except for details like the "b*bang*tch" thing etc..., but then, as I've said, I've never heard the original mono mix) - the score sounds stunning in DTS.

As I admitted, the 5.1 track presents the music wonderfully, and that's one of the problems with it. The music shouldn't sound so glorious in this film. The movie actually loses some of it's effectiveness by making the music sound so good. In the original mix it had this very menacing prescence which really ramped up the tension. The new music mix robs it of that.

Neil

Sounds like rubbish to me Bulk.

The music sounds great on the DVD, so it sucks....

Will you ever be pleased?

:wave:

Hey, the mono track is on there. I'm pleased.

Neil

I won't be buying any new Jaws DVDs soon.

If there is a substantial feature on Williams, I could be swayed. Otherwise, me either.

Jeff

There was already some Williams feature within the documentary in the old DVD. I wish the new one had, at least, footage from the recording sessions... :cry:

I kinda doubt if such footage was ever made.

Behind the scenes docus were not as plenty as they are today, you know.

I'm pretty sure Spielberg shot the recording-sessions. That's why everyone has been able to see John Williams conducting the score in E.T., Indiana Jones and other movies.

It maybe just me, but i think Neil needs to find a certain DeLorean and go back the 70's and stay there for the rest of his life again and again....

This is a ridiculous claim. Why would you even say that? The DVD has the original soundtrack on it. I'm happy. The thread even has a positive name. What's your problem with any of this?

Neil

It maybe just me, but i think Neil needs to find a certain DeLorean and go back the 70's and stay there for the rest of his life again and again....

This is a ridiculous claim. Why would you even say that? The DVD has the original soundtrack on it. I'm happy. The thread even has a positive name. What's your problem with any of this?

Honestly, I think the 70s went by way too fast. Much artistic freedom was given in that decade.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hey Neil, stop bashing Manuel like that.

Not everyone has to agree with your purist points of view.

So he can pick the 5.1 track! This DVD offers both. Provided Universal doesn't screw up this disc, it sounds like they may have finally gotten Jaws right on DVD. But to say I'd be happier in the past is a ridiculous claim and a stupid thing to say.

Neil

The fasion was terrible, so was the popular music.

I'm pleased to be living in the decade i'm in now.

Ahem ... which is mostly based on fashion from the 70s. That's why so many films of the 70s still look "cool". Besides, we all know what you wear at home, Stefancos. That you of all people should say something about fashion :baaa: . Really, I think you're a little too much out of touch to know about these things.

And you don't know anything about popular music when you think it's better now than it was in the 70s. Frankly, it's the dumbest and most ignorant thing I've heard anyone say in a long time. With dominating styles as R&B and rap, and frightened record companies holding off anything that might involve a risk we're witnessing the most dullest times.

In the 70s people were glad the 60s were over.

In the 80s people were glad the 70s were over.

In the 90s people were glad the 80s were over.

Etcetera, etcetera.

----------------

Alex Cremers

But 80's people would be glad if the 2000's were over so they can go back and have their 80's music back.

Dean - who believes the 80's were the best years for popular music. :baaa:

Would he have done so in the days of Jaws already?

I think yes...I mean, Raiders is from 1981, which is not that far from 1975.

sorry but you don't know what you are talking about.

In filmmaking terms, 1981 was a lightyear ahead of 75. Film technology grew by leaps and bounds from 77 to 81.

Not that I'll ever listen to the mono mix, I'll still likely get it. Mainly because I didn't get the last one yet. I prefer 5.1 mixes, but it'snice to have the original ones... if only for collecting's sake.

Fashion was horrible in the 1970's.  Everything was so brown!

but it was better than the fashion of the 90's and the 00's.

Actually the 70's was pastels, I take it that you really must have missed them. Thankfully we didn't have our pants cut so low that women had to shave their hoochies, or show guys bottom of their boxers. And people knew what combs were.

no the 90's had grunge, far worse than any fashion choice of the 70's.