Good Jaws DVD News!

Lurker

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Just received this DVD this morning and I have to say it really is a first class package.

The standard DVD case is enclosed within a holographic slip-case that also houses a beautifully presented 60-page commemorative booklet featuring loads of production photos, quotes from the film and also comments from the filmmakers.

Now to the DVD itself, the transfer appears to be the same than the 2000 release except for the inclusion of the mono track of course. As I have said before Spielberg really makes the most of the full 2.35:1 ratio exceptionally well and my favourite shot featuring the dolly in - zoom out moment with Brody just keeps getting better! Can anyone remember if he has used this technique again since ET? I remember noticing the cinematography more way back when the widescreen VHS was released - what a difference it made to the overall experience, it was like watching a completely new movie!

I had a brief listen to the mono track and it is clean and crisp, although I still prefer the 5.1 mix personally - primarily for the music being more pronounced :P . It's good to have though.

Disc 1 features the outtakes / deleted scenes which appear the same except for what I think is a new scene with Quint tagged on the end. Also included is an interesting vintage 9 min featurette with ex-BBC film guru Iain Johnstone, called 'On the set with Steven Spielberg' - this is a great addition as it is set on the second day of filming and already they can't shoot what was on their schedule, what with Dreyfuss falling into the sea and the weather not being kind. A real joy to see this new feature being included.

Disc 2 treats us to the long-awaited original feature length doc from the '95 laserdisc with much more

insight and the pro-longed section on Williams, ultimately a typically well-polished feature from the DVD-doc king (IMO). Other than that we have the same materials as featured on the initial DVD, although I was disappointed that the trailer was not included this time round as it's a classic.

Definitely an improvement on the 25th Anniversary release, i'm sure many of you will also agree.

I'm looking forward to 'The Shark Is Not Working' doc, which to be honest I presumed would be on this DVD, but obviously it's a separate production.

8O

Okay, gotcha. That was sorta my best guess. You wouldn't happen to know if it's stored on the DVD as two separate audio stream or if there's a switch somewhere that can just tell it to use the same stream for two channels would you?

Okay, gotcha. That was sorta my best guess. You wouldn't happen to know if it's stored on the DVD as two separate audio stream or if there's a switch somewhere that can just tell it to use the same stream for two channels would you?

I don't understand wha you are asking, but if you truly want to hear it from one speaker, put your receiver or decoder into Pro-Logic mode and it will send the 2.0 track to your center channel.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Just got this, and I must say ,this is one of the snazziest double dips ever. A fantastic package, despite the cover, the well-produced photo journal gives it a really classy touch. I loved the BBC on the set thing, it's fascenating to see the movie in it's first days of production. For me, never really having heard the mono track, the main attraction of the set was the full documentry, and I must say, it exceeded my expectations. The condensed one always seemed a bit fluffy to me, and the rigid structure all LB's docs have was a bit annoying (which is not to say that he's not still the best out there in the field), but the full one is just wonderful, the only thing missing is a Bill Butler interview. One of the finest docs out there, the film deserves no less.

I'm about to start the film with the original track. I'm sure I'll have a great time.

I'm desperately waiting for the release here, but i'm pissed off bout forking out another £20 on just a new documentary.

And what's the deal with me being banned from posting here?

And what's the deal with me being banned from posting here?

Since you're posting I fail to see why that question is even being asked.

Neil