Star Wars vs. Mickey Mouse

Josh500

Here's a story some of you are probably going to hate me for.

Recently a female friend of mine asked me what I was listening to on my Discman. I said John Williams. Naturally, she had no idea who that was and asked me if she could take a listen. Now, at that time I was taking in the End Credits of TPM -- Augie's Great Municipal Band and then the triple trumpet fanfare and the Main Theme -- but didn't tell her what it was. So I rewinded a little and then gave her the headphones, kinda curious whether she'd recognize the main melody . . . after all, even a girl should have watched Star Wars at one point or other in her lifetime. So I was really gladdened when she smiled instantly, nodded, and then said, "Yeah, of course I know what this is!"

"Really? You do?" I asked, grinning myself now. "What is it?"

And she said, "That's the music from the Mickey Mouse club!!!"

The smile slid off my face. "No, it's not," I said. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I am," she said, and then started doing this stupid little dance, miming (I guess) Mickey Mouse. "I know what I'm talking about!!!!"

"No, it's not," I insisted. "Trust me, I know what I'm talking about!"

With any other girl I would have been kinda miffed (I guess), but this one was really cute so I laughed along in the end and said resignedly, "Actually it's the music from Star Wars."

And she said, "Oh really? Sounds kinda Mickey Mouse-y."

And she walked blithely away, leaving me to watch after her.

What do you make of this? Does the Main Theme performed in the End Credits of Star Wars (the part played by trombones) sound Mickey Mouse-y??? You may laugh, but ever since that remark, I can't help thinking of Mickey Mouse when I listen to it. Now, I have never heard the music from the Mickey Mouse club in my life, so I have no basis for comparison, but . . . for those of you who DO know both melodies, do they sound similar in any way??? I certainly hope not!!!

:roll: !!!!GIRLS!!!! :roll:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not heard Mickey Mouse thingy - can't coment - but after reading this post I shall probably never hear that track in the same way again!!!!

:devil::)

PS - probably the wrong site to have a go at girls!!!!

So what part did she think was the Mickey Mouse theme? Augies Band or the End Credits fanfare? If it was Augie's Band, then I don't blame her what with the childrens chorus and all. Come to think of it, the Mickey Mouse lyrics actually do fit with the Emperors Theme...

M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E

If a girl ever asked me what I was listening to I would never freely admit to listening to Augie's Municipal Band, let alone play it for her. I never play that piece on my home or car stereo either, out of fear someone else will hear it.

Jeff

Ha ha. I never got the Mickey Mouse connection before. But it's interesting.

This won't change the way I hear the Emperor's theme, but it's an interesting analysis.

Jeff

So what part did she think was the Mickey Mouse theme?  Augies Band or the End Credits fanfare?

Believe it or not, she thought the short reprise of the Star Wars Main Theme (played by trombones) was the Mickey Mouse theme. LOL It's really funny when you stop to think about it, but in some way I can't really put it words it DOES sort of make a certain amount of sense . . .

:devil:

Wow. :|

Whenever anyone asks to see my iPod or asks what I'm listening to, I just say "Nothing good" and walk away.

I do however, like playing happy music loud on my stereo when the windows are open to spread the joy!

Once there were some unwelcome neighbor children in my driveway and they were playing basketball in my hoop, so I brought my small stereo to the open window above the driveway, put in POA, and blasted the begining of "Buckbeak's Flight" at top volume. They haven't been back since.

~Sturgis

Good idea. Maybe they thought you were playing some sort of tribal message to declare war on them. :|

- Marc, who puts on TND loudly when the neighbor kids are annoying.

Once there were some unwelcome neighbor children in my driveway and they were playing basketball in my hoop, so I brought my small stereo to the open window above the driveway, put in POA, and blasted the begining of "Buckbeak's Flight" at top volume.  They haven't been back since.

"The Temple of Doom" is even better.

Neil