Loads of new JW & ROTS material on HS link

tranders

Hey, don't have time to do any scans or anything as of now, but for those of you with Hyperspace (sue me, I've had it for a while), there's a new link to an e-book that's the "final chapter" of the Making of ROTS book, detailing all of the things that happened after the book deadline had to be met. A LOT of this stuff has to do with JW's meetings with Lucas on spotting the movie, and then later on there's a lot of detail about the scoring sessions, which include ALL of the cue names from each day of recording! Pretty cool stuff to read about, and very detailed, so if you can, head over and check it out! As you may be able to tell, though, it's pretty spoiler-heavy, so be warned.

Todd

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slate Title Recording Date

1M3 Boys Into Battle February 12th 2005

1M4 They're Coming Around February 14th 2005

1M4a "Get 'em, R-2!" February 7th 2005

1M5 The Elevator Scene February 17th 2005

1M6 Count Dooku's Entrance February 14th 2005

1M7 The Death of Dooku February 2nd 2005

2M1 [untitled] February 9th 2005

2M3 Another Happy Landing February 3rd 2005

2M4 Revisiting Padme Not assigned

2M5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine February 3rd 2005

2M6 Scenes and Dreams February 12th 2005

2M7 Be Careful of Your Friend February 13th 2005

3M1 Council Meeting February 14th 2005

3M2 Hold Me February 13th 2005

3M2a Palpatine's TV Set February 7th 2005

3M3 Palpatine's Big Pitch February 9th 2005

3M5 Goodbye Old Friend February 3rd 2005

3M6 Going to Utapau February 13th 2005

3M7 Riding the Lizard February 12th 2005

3M8 Obi-Wan Fares [sic] Droids February 12th 2005

4M1a Good Guys Arrive February 8th 2005

4M1x Drawing Swords February 3rd 2005

4M3 Palpatine's Seduction February 2nd 2005

4M4 Rolling with Grievous February 13th 2005

4M4a Fighting with Grievous February 8th 2005

4M5 Dialogue with Mace February 17th 2005

4M5a Padme's Ruminations February 8th 2005

4M6 I Am the Senate February 14th 2005

5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin February 3rd 2005

5M3 Lament February 7th 2005

5M3a Bail's Escape February 14th 2005

5M4 "Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell" February 9th 2005

5M5 News of the Attack February 12th 2005

5M6 Moving Things Along February 9th 2005

5M7 Anakin's Dark Deeds February 3rd 2005

6M1 It Can't Be February 17th 2005

6M2 A Moody Trip February 12th 2005

6M3 Padme's Visit February 2nd 2005

6M4 Heroes Collide February 2nd 2005

6M5 **Choir Only** Not assigned

6M6 Yoda Falls February 3rd 2005

6M7 The Boys Continue February 8th 2005

6M8 Rev. Yoda to Exile February 12th 2005

6M9 Revenge of the Sith February 3rd 2005

7M1 The Immolation Scene February 8th 2005

7M2 Anakin Crawling February 8th 2005

7M3 The Birth of the Twins February 7th 2005

7M4 The Death of Padme February 7th 2005

7M5 Plans for the Twins February 8th 2005

7M6 Padme's Funeral February 7th 2005

7M7 A Home for the Twins February 7th 2005

7M8 End Credits February 17th 2005

Also recorded on February 3rd, Revenge of the Sith DVD Version (Battle of the Heroes, presumably).

Here's the supposed track-list that was announced a while back, for comparison.

1. Star Wars and The Revenge Of The Sith

2. Anakin's Betrayal

3. Battle Of The Heroes

4. Anakin's Dream

5. The Reunion Of Anakin And Padme

6. Welcome, Lord Vader

7. Padme's Ruminations

8. Grievous Travels To Palpatine

9. I Am The Senate

10. General Grievous

11. Palpatine's Dark Teachings

12. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

13. Anakin's Dark Deeds

14. The Immolation Scene

15. The Birth Of The Twins and Padme's Destiny

16. A New Hope and End Credits

If we assume this track-listing is accurate (and it just got a big shot of credibility), let the speculation begin as to which tracks contain which cues. For example: is "Padme's Destiny" really "The Death of Padme", "Padme's Funeral", or some combination of the two? Is "Palpatine's Dark Teachings" a retitled "Palpatine's Big Pitch" or "Palpatine's Seduction"?

From it's placement, it looks like Palpatine's Dark Teachings could be a combination of Palpatine Instructs Anakin and (hopefully) Lament.

Slate   Title                                 Recording Date

1M3 Boys Into Battle  February 12th 2005

1M4 They're Coming Around  February 14th 2005

1M4a "Get 'em, R-2!"  February 7th 2005

1M5 The Elevator Scene  February 17th 2005

1M6 Count Dooku's Entrance  February 14th 2005

1M7 The Death of Dooku  February 2nd 2005

2M1 [untitled]  February 9th 2005

2M3 Another Happy Landing  February 3rd 2005

2M4 Revisiting Padme  Not assigned

2M5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine  February 3rd 2005

2M6 Scenes and Dreams  February 12th 2005

2M7 Be Careful of Your Friend  February 13th 2005

3M1 Council Meeting  February 14th 2005

3M2 Hold Me  February 13th 2005

3M2a Palpatine's TV Set  February 7th 2005

3M3 Palpatine's Big Pitch  February 9th 2005

3M5 Goodbye Old Friend  February 3rd 2005

3M6 Going to Utapau  February 13th 2005

3M7 Riding the Lizard  February 12th 2005

3M8 Obi-Wan Fares [sic] Droids  February 12th 2005

4M1a Good Guys Arrive  February 8th 2005

4M1x Drawing Swords  February 3rd 2005

4M3 Palpatine's Seduction  February 2nd 2005

4M4 Rolling with Grievous  February 13th 2005

4M4a Fighting with Grievous  February 8th 2005

4M5 Dialogue with Mace  February 17th 2005

4M5a Padme's Ruminations  February 8th 2005

4M6 I Am the Senate  February 14th 2005

5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin  February 3rd 2005

5M3 Lament  February 7th 2005

5M3a Bail's Escape  February 14th 2005

5M4 "Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell"  February 9th 2005

5M5 News of the Attack  February 12th 2005

5M6 Moving Things Along  February 9th 2005

5M7 Anakin's Dark Deeds  February 3rd 2005

6M1 It Can't Be  February 17th 2005

6M2 A Moody Trip  February 12th 2005

6M3  Padme's Visit  February 2nd 2005

6M4 Heroes Collide  February 2nd 2005

6M5 **Choir Only**  Not assigned

6M6 Yoda Falls  February 3rd 2005

6M7 The Boys Continue  February 8th 2005

6M8 Rev. Yoda to Exile  February 12th 2005

6M9 Revenge of the Sith  February 3rd 2005

7M1 The Immolation Scene  February 8th 2005

7M2 Anakin Crawling  February 8th 2005

7M3 The Birth of the Twins  February 7th 2005

7M4 The Death of Padme  February 7th 2005

7M5 Plans for the Twins  February 8th 2005

7M6 Padme's Funeral  February 7th 2005

7M7 A Home for the Twins  February 7th 2005

7M8 End Credits  February 17th 2005

Also recorded on February 3rd, Revenge of the Sith DVD Version (Battle of the Heroes, presumably).

It is great. But the recording dates look strange in comparision with "Hyperspace in London" reports. If I catch it correctly the recording sessions started on February 3th (see report "Post Notes: The Score Begins - February 03, 2005") not February 2th. The recording date of "End Credits" differs the most. In reports they've said it was recorded on February 9th and here it is February 17th. Please could somebody shed light on it because it is real mystery for me. Thank you very much.

E-Wan

NP: Troy promo (Gabriel Yared)

Curiously, my other list of cues lists 2M2 and 5M2.  No 4M2 though.

Btw, it seems the film has been scored pretty much wall-to-wall from beginning to end (as has always been since The Empire Strikes Back).

Didn't Ben Burtt said some time ago he would have fight to have the duel scenes WITHOUT music this time? :|

He probably did, in the Episode 1 DVD doc Lucas made a sarcastic comment to Burtt and a few others about Williams and his music being possibly over-present in the pod race scene after it's first screening with sound. :|

- Tim.

I don't think he did that. You can see some footage from when they're screening VFX shots of the pod race, where Lucas jokes to VFX supervisor John Knoll, "Remember John, you're not looking at the pods, you're not looking at the backgrounds, you're listening to the music," which is a throwback to an earlier comment from Knoll about the background being allowed to look kind of rough, because you're watching the pods anyway.

In fact, at the recording sessions, Lucas talks to Williams about how the music may be buried in the mix or something (the context is kind of hard to make out, because we jump right into the conversation) and that "there is a lot of clashing and banging. Ben Burtt in there. So, if we're going between takes and stuff, it'll all be hidden pretty well." I assume this refers to the lightsaber fight, as Williams makes some comments about the chorus, and we see The Great Dual up on the musicians' standards.

- Marc

Really?

That is why they tracked escape from naboo (a louder cue than the intended one)?

I would have to watch it again to be sure, but it may have been before the music was added I think, so it was a pre-emptive sarcastic comment pertaining to the sound effects that would be drowned out by his music or something like that.

- Tim.

I don't think he did that. You can see some footage from when they're screening VFX shots of the pod race, where Lucas jokes to VFX supervisor John Knoll, "Remember John, you're not looking at the pods, you're not looking at the backgrounds, you're listening to the music," which is a throwback to an earlier comment from Knoll about the background being allowed to look kind of rough, because you're watching the pods anyway.

In fact, at the recording sessions, Lucas talks to Williams about how the music may be buried in the mix or something (the context is kind of hard to make out, because we jump right into the conversation) and that "there is a lot of clashing and banging. Ben Burtt in there. So, if we're going between takes and stuff, it'll all be hidden pretty well." I assume this refers to the lightsaber fight, as Williams makes some comments about the chorus, and we see The Great Dual up on the musicians' standards.

- Marc

Thanks Marc - yes that's more like it, I remember now!

- Tim.

Lets just hope "Lament" is on the c.d.

At least we have a complete track listing to make a better complete score analysis when the c.d. comes out.Now unused material can't be "hidden"

K.M.Wondering why we don't have accurate official c.d. track titles and track times by now

According to MillenniumFalcon.com, the OFFICIAL CD track titles are as follows:

Track Titles:

1. Star Wars & The Revenge of the Sith

2. Anakin's Betrayal

3. Battle of the Heroes

4. Anakin's Dream

5. The Reunion of Anakin and Padme

6. Welcome, Lord Vader

7. Padme's Ruminations

8. Grevious Travels to Palpatine

9. I Am the Senate

10. General Grevious

11. Palpatine's Dark Teachings

12. Anakin vs. Obi-wan

13. Anakin's Dark Deeds

14. The Immolation Scene

15. The Birth of the Twins & Padme's Destiny

16. A New Hope & End Credits

--Pelzter, very excited!

But it's the music that matters, right...

Right. Who cares about titles as long as the music is good? :|

Besides, there's nothing wrong with making up your own cue titles for your own use if you don't like the official one. I do it all the time.

Excellent! This will be a great resource for figuring out the complete score. We might not need John Takis and his notebook as much this time.  :|

We'll need John's keen ear to pick apart all the edits.

Neil

The concert suite is Battle of the Heroes. Revenge of the Sith on the album is probably something completely different (looking the previous prequel albums, it'll probably be Going to Utapau or somethine).

The concert suite is Battle of the Heroes.   Revenge of the Sith on the album is probably something completely different (looking the previous prequel albums, it'll probably be Going to Utapau or somethine).

Let's hope it will contain at least part of the music from the beginning space battle sequence.

From what i´ve heard (possible minor spoilers ahead) there´s an extraordinarily long shot (40 secs) following the yellow scrolltext where the camera flies through the opening space battle, so i guess "Revenge of the Sith" will be mostly action music...

I certainly hope this is true, concerning that first track. It would be a tragedy if not a note of Williams's music from either the big opening battle or the big Wookie battle was included on the album.

I hope:

1)Lament is on the c.d. somewhere

2)the space Battle is on the c.d. somewhere

3)ALL oof the Finale is on the c.d.(not missing crucial bits like ToD,HPPS and HPPoA)

K.m.

Well, according to some reports I've read, the Wookiee battle isn't really a very big sequence. In fact, as I understand it, the actual battle itself will be shown in just a few shots.

- Marc

The concert suite is Battle of the Heroes.   Revenge of the Sith on the album is probably something completely different (looking the previous prequel albums, it'll probably be Going to Utapau or somethine).

I bet Revenge of the sith will be some trasitionnal music repeated somewhere else on the album(a la TPM Arrival on Coruscant ),and Battle of the Heroes will be looped in the End Credits.

K.M.Who hopes there's no repeated music a la Jurassic Park or TPM.

I bet Revenge of the sith will be some trasitionnal music repeated somewhere else on the album(a la TPM Arrival on Coruscant )

Like "Ambush on Coruscant" (aka Arrival at Kamino) was looped somewhere else on the CD? :P

I don't see anything in the cue sheet that refers to Wookies.

K.M.

Yes, I noticed that too. From what I know, this sequence isn't a major setpiece (like the Geonosis Battle in AOTC), so the probabilities are:

a) the scene wasn't scored at all and will play without music

B) the scene will be scored with tracked and/or pre-existing music

The latter is of course the most probable situation, I think. :P

There's one thing the article told me. George Lucas listens to too many people's opinions. That accounts for most of the post scoring changes, according to the article. People weighing in and George listening to them and changing things, like editing, fight moves, and colors.

In the article, some animator added his own fight move by Yoda, not in the script. Yoda throws his sabre like a javelin and then jumps on the chest of the person and removes it in a "badass" or "cool" manner.

Lucas remarks that it is very "un-Jedi" but makes no decision.

Also, Spielberg and Coppola convince George to edit the film the way they like it. Undoubtedly he asked for their opinion, but couldn't they have said that BEFORE the scoring sessions?

Well, according to some reports I've read, the Wookiee battle isn't really a very big sequence. In fact, as I understand it, the actual battle itself will be shown in just a few shots.

- Marc

Interesting. Well, since it would be short sequences then if it is scored, the cues would be shorter and it may not be a big deal if they are left off the album. I guess I am just left hoping the opening battle cues are included, which could very well be in "Revenge of the Sith" titled track...

I think I may have been mistaken. I think it was the erradication of the Jedi that was going to be shown quickly. Not the Wookiee battle. The Kashyyyk sequence is actually pretty big and spectacular as I understand from some report. Sorry about the confusion.

I think Yoda is supposed to be there too, though, so I won't be suprised if one of those tracks with Yoda's name in the title pops up there. But who knows. Perhaps it'll be tracked music after all. :P

Also, Spielberg and Coppola convince George to edit the film the way they like it. Undoubtedly he asked for their opinion, but couldn't they have said that BEFORE the scoring sessions?

They probably didn´t see Episode III BEFORE the scoring sessions, so i guess the answer´s "no" :P

It could well be that the Kashyyyk battle is intercut with other footage, like Obi-Wan fighting Grievous... in that case, it would be scored, despite not being apparent in the cue list.

Now that this track list is confirmed, does this mean that Anakin's Betrayal is going to be some sort of concert suite? Either that or it must be a very memorable piece, since track two on all the previous Star Wars scores have been the major new theme for. As much as I am anticipating Battle of the Heroes, I must say that my interest in this track has definitely increased. I'm also curious as to what Revenge of the Sith will be, since that was what the new concert piece/theme was first being called.

As King Mark said, I would love to have the entire space battle scene on the CD as well as the entire climax at the end of the film. But it looks as if the end of this album is going to be quite emotional with tracks like Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny and the Immolation scene. And I cannot wait to hear what the final track will sound like, before the end credits start, that is. I can only imagine how Williams chose to end the saga. Maybe a sweeping rendition of the Force theme?

As for Battle of the Heroes, I'm still holding out hope that it will be heavily influenced by The Dark Side Beckons. I can just imagine the great duel at the end of this film set to a larger and more epic version of that forty seconds from the Return of the Jedi score.

Ted

5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin

+ 5M3 Lament

------------------------------------------------------------

= 2. Anakin's Betrayal ?

-Chris, speculating

Those two cues are consecutive in the list, and supposedly deal with a consecutive course of action, namely (anyone care for spoilers in a thread like this?) Order 66 and its execution.

"Anakin's Dream" = the entire Scenes and Dreams cue, perhaps? It looks like the album is mostly in chronological order, more like AOTC than the original TPM album. "Anakin's Dark Deeds" could be the usual Williams process of crossfading cues, but I guess could just be 5M7 in its entirety.

5M4 "Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell" takes place on Kashyyyk, as does part of Lament. Since we know that the Kashyyyk sequences total don't come out to more than four or five minutes, we can presume that if Williams did leave some if it unscored, it wasn't much.