Films Johnny should have scored

Hitch

Top 10 scores John Williams should have scored:

10. The Doors. (The scene where where Jim breaks on through to the other side would have made a powerful underscore for strings, percussion and celeste).

09. POLTERGEIST (Absolutely nothing wrong with Jerry's masterpiece but it would have been interesting to have heard Johnny's take on it. See you all in the Twilight Zone :-)

08. YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (A Duck being roasted while Johnny's concocts the orange sauce that goes with it....Concerto for Duck with Orange and Orchestra. This is getting tedious. Lets plod on!

07. BRAVEHEART Mel should have given Johnny one chance, just one chance to score the music. Then he could have earned...his FRRREEDDDOMM. Cue Horner's rehash of BOBBY JONES

06. THE ODD COUPLE Neil Hefti's classic score could have been composed by "a trainee and 2 chimpanzes" to quote Scotty. The rest is history. "We're all out of cornflakes. F.U. Took me 3 hours to figure out that F.U. was Felix Unger." Comedy isn't written like that anymore. I should know.

05. Thank God I've reached No. 5. No that isn't a movie title. Number 5 is alive was the catchy phrase of SHORT CIRCUIT Awful movie boasting a career-best from Steve "Where are you now when we need you the most" Guttenberg. The robot should have known better than to trust a strange human.

04. Disney should have given Johnny one of those little jingle tunes that Alan Menken scored for ALADDIN, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, THE LITTLE MERMAID. Luckily for Alan that he escaped with those Oscars from Mother's cellar. Thief!

03. Without THE OMEN there would never have been STAR WARS so Johnny is forever indebited to the late, great Jerry Goldsmith for saving his bacon. Ave Steefani!

02. RUNNY NOSES The working title of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Cue Johnny's little waltz when the lovely green slime ebbs down our heroine's nose. Surfs up, dude!

01. Finally! Forget PSYCHO No one tops Bennie in that department. THE EXORCIST should have been scored by Johnny. The power of Christ compels you. Your mother sucks you-know-what in Hell! He'd have made a killing with this one. Pity! Your mother's in here, Hitch. No she's not! She's nicely preserved next to the pickles and yams.

Hitch, who loves these Top 10 polls even if no one reads them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

Didn't Josh post a thread like this just an hour ago or so? Where did it go? :ola:

He did and I was replying to it when it said the link wasnt there any more so I created one myself. I won't take all the credit though I did type it myself.

Hitch :P thieving again! :P

Well, yeah, but how can you top Sir Hitch?

Plenty whipped cream, sprinkles and a good fat red cherry. Oh and not forgetting Tippi, Catherine, Kate and Alma. My Hitch's Angels.

:P:ola:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I'd love to hear the films with stronger thematic language (stronger original themes, counterpoint, development, orchestration)... but then again the films were pretty lethargic and repetitive so Shore did a pretty good job matching 'em.

I'd like to hear with JW would've done with Titanic. I don't really have a problem with the score as it is, it was pretty fitting for the film. But especially knowing that JW was the initial choice, I can't help but wonder what he would've written for an event of such magnitude.

Ray Barnsbury

I'd like to hear with JW would've done with Titanic.  I don't really have a problem with the score as it is, it was pretty fitting for the film.  

That's true.

1) Gladiator

2) Beauty and the Beast

3) The Mask of Zorro

4) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

5) Independence Day

6) HP and Goblet of Fire

7) Jurassic Park 3

TITANIC would be MY first choice, then LORD OF THE RINGS (although I would bet with you that, if Williams had scored those movies, he wouldn't have won a single Oscar). Also, I would have loved it if Williams had written the score to The Color Purple -- the only Spielberg movie NOT scored by JW.

Then, of course, GoF. I love seeing what those three brats are up to this time, but I imagine it's going to be only half as much fun without JW's music accompanying them each step of the way.

:)

GoF -- I don't know If I'll be able to drag myself to see that movie without the accompanying John Williams score...

:) Let's Save Woody - Toy Story 2 (Randy Newman)

Lord of the Ring films (I really hate the Score to those films) Titanic (when the big tub sinks, I can only imagine the powerful score that could have followed it down) GOF (yea sure, but I"m the only JW fan in the world who does not really care that much for his scoring of those films, yes the only 1 and I know it) I also would have liked him to have scored Seabiscut ( I know this sounds awfully weird, but I really love that movie, and I think it was lacking a strong theme)

Lord of the Ring films (I really hate the Score to those films) Titanic (when the big tub sinks, I can only imagine the powerful score that could have followed it down)

Both composers NAILED the mood and style of the films they wrote for, better I think then Williams would have been able too these days.

Well Stefancos, its my opinion, not fact. Just like your comment that they "NAILED" those scores, thats your opinion, not fact. Its all basically Opinions, sorry pal.

You wanna explain that to be, boy?

Yes. You just said that John Williams couldn't have done as good a job on certain films as their composers. Composers can be only okay for a film, or as good as Johnny, but better? He can suit any mood or feel of a movie better than anyone else. You have committed treason here, Steef!

~Sturgis

It is possible for other film composers of far lesser talents than JW to occasionally create a great score.

John cannot score everything, and would you trade Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone for LOTR, giving up Hedwig's theme, Fawke's Theme, The Chamber of Secrets, Buckbeak's Flight or Window to the Past?

It is possible for other film composers of far lesser talents than JW to occasionally create a great score.

Agreed, there are even some scores that I like better then JW Scores. :)

You wanna explain that to be, boy?

Yes. You just said that John Williams couldn't have done as good a job on certain films as their composers. Composers can be only okay for a film, or as good as Johnny, but better? He can suit any mood or feel of a movie better than anyone else. You have committed treason here, Steef!

~Sturgis

I'm sorry, just cause this is a Williams MB does this mean I should slavishly drool over every score he has done and automatically assume that John Williams could outscore any composer at any film, always?

I cannot hear Williams voice fitting LOTR, like I cannot hear Goldsmith's voice fitting LOTR, even though i love both composers music dearly.

Joe's comment are very wise.

It's perfectly okay to appriciate other composers works, even though you are a Williams fan.

I didn't say only JW could create a great score, I just said that he can suit the mood and feel of a film better than anyone else.

Cough

Jaws

cough.

Hell, I like most every score better than Schindler's List.

~Sturgis

Lord of the Ring films (I really hate the Score to those films) Titanic (when the big tub sinks, I can only imagine the powerful score that could have followed it down)

Both composers NAILED the mood and style of the films they wrote for, better I think then Williams would have been able too these days.

I agree. I hear a lot of people saying Williams should have scored these, but especially in the case of LotR this is a load of BS. Shore's work is completely fitting, and connects wonderfully well to both the film and the book. And Horner's score was fine for Titanic. It's not his greatest score, but it did its job well for this film.

Attack of the Clones

Oh sorry, I thought it said "Films Johnny Should Have Fully Scored".  Besides, it's not a film.  bowdown

Neil

In that case, anything you watch on TV or DVD isn't a film, either.

Attack of the Clones

Oh sorry, I thought it said "Films Johnny Should Have Fully Scored".  Besides, it's not a film.  bowdown

Neil

In that case, anything you watch on TV or DVD isn't a film, either.

thats not true, a movie that was filmed is still a film, a tv show that was filmed is still filmed.

If its available on a portable format like vhs and dvd its still a film, copied to that format,

while ATOC was never filmed, it was digitized and copied to the format of film, tape, and dvd, but it was never a film.

John cannot score everything, and would you trade Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone for LOTR, giving up Hedwig's theme, Fawke's Theme, The Chamber of Secrets, Buckbeak's Flight or Window to the Past?

Yes, I think that Williams doing HP is a fair tradeoff for him not doing LotR.

Any biblical/roman/greek epic.

All the GREATEST composers have written at least one of those movies (North, Rózsa, Herrmann, A. Newman, Waxman, E. Bernstein, Tiomkin, etc.).

I guess the answer would have been "Alexander".

Lost in Space ,the Movie,as I've said.I was so dissapointed in 1998 when he didn't do it.

K.M.

Probably a good thing, as Bruce Broughton's wonderful music was completely lost in the film!

Do you like his score out of interest?

- Tim.