It's Just Star Wars!!!!!

Lurker

While I don't know about this particular situation, I can say that Lucas contradicts himself quite a bit. I have quite a few quotes from him that make for an amusing read when coupled together.

Sometimes he changes his mind, and other times, his recollection just isn't too clear.

Point in fact - the original ROTJ screenplay has Luke burning Anakin's body in the suit. For the SE's, Lucas rewrote the screenplay so that Anakin's body has disappeared. In the DVD commentary, Lucas specifically mentions Luke burning Anakin's "body".

So which is true? Hell, even Lucas can't keep track of himself. :D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point in fact - the original ROTJ screenplay has Luke burning Anakin's body in the suit. For the SE's, Lucas rewrote the screenplay so that Anakin's body has disappeared. In the DVD commentary, Lucas specifically mentions Luke burning Anakin's "body".

I dont know, but in the SE i have, Luke burns Darth Vader's suit. I dont know if the flesh remains are still there, but i definately did not saw him dissapear in teh DSII when he dies.

well the way the book explains what happens, there is no way that Anakin should have shown up at the end of Jedi, and the funny thing is the dumbass Lucas paints himself into a corner that he can't get out of, until he changes the original trilogy AGAIN.

"I dont know if the flesh remains are still there, but i definately did not saw him dissapear in teh DSII when he dies."

Oh, I agree, but Lucas wants us to believe that he did disappear. According to the OS:

As he lay dying, Vader ceased to be. Anakin Skywalker returned. He asked his son to remove the cumbersome, fearsome mask that had concealed his face for decades. His mask and life support removed, Anakin looked upon Luke for the first and last time. He then died, his body disappearing into the light side of the Force. Luke burned the dark armor that had encased Anakin's crippled body in a quiet funeral pyre on the forest moon of Endor that night.

But, as I've said, Lucas, himself, has gone back and forth on this issue. The question is, is this lying, or just a syndrome of revisionism run amok?

"there is no way that Anakin should have shown up at the end of Jedi"

How so? There's no way a beam of light can just "stop" 3 feet from its source either. And let's not get into hearing explosions in space.

Ironically, Lucas said this about the Force ghosts:

George Lucas: "One of the things that will never get explained in the films is how Ben was able to retain his identity, because it happened somewhere in between the third and fourth movies. I set up that this is a discipline that he learned from Yoda; Yoda told him how to do that. We don't ever get to see how he does it, but the idea of retaining your identity after you've passed on is something that Ben learned as a Jedi." - Annotated Screenplays

So, should George have just left it alone, or does it really need to be explained, and if it does need to be explained, does it need to be done so at the expense of removing Sebastian Shaw from ROTJ?

Personally, I didn't have a problem with the scenario of Yoda somehow learning the trick of retaining one's and teaching Ben, whereas Anakin was granted this status because 1) He is the child of the Force (Jesus being the son of God), and 2) he did finally fulfill his destiny and redeemed himself. Unfortunately, this wasn't good enough for Lucas. :( Of course, that's why I'm making my own LD-DVD conversion. ;)