What's the 'Empire Strikes Back' among the James Bond films?

Sandor

Recently I've been watching some James Bond films. I must honestly say: I don't really like it. The following may sound lame, but I just don't find it "cool" enough.

But I would like to see THE best Bond film out there. The problem is that I have no idea which one to choose. Any help here would be appreciated.

What is the 'Empire Strikes Back' among the Bond films?

Thanks!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you only see one Bond film go for From Russia With Love. That has all the cool you may want.

If you want to see a great film (not necessarily the "coolest") go for On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

For a bit of fun with non-stop action and spectacle watch "The Spy Who Loved Me".

If you don't like those three then I guess you're just not into Bond movies, as those are the cream of the crop. If you DO like those then try Goldfinger, Thunderball, Goldeneye, Licence to Kill, and For Your Eyes Only next.

Objection, your Honor! The witness is presuming that ESB is Mr. Williams' best work and that everyone else is in total harmony with that presumption! This is spamming!

judge-judy.gif :Mr. Roald, refrain yourself from spamming. I don't like it when people do that and I will not have it in my courtroom!

If you only see one Bond film go for From Russia With Love. That has all the cool you may want.

If you want to see a great film (not necessarily the "coolest") go for On Her Majesty's Secret Service.  

For a bit of fun with non-stop action and spectacle watch "The Spy Who Loved Me".  

If you don't like those three then I guess you're just not into Bond movies, as those are the cream of the crop. .

Whatever,those are some of my least favourites.

My favourites are:

Dr.No

Goldfinger

Thunderball

You only Live Twice

Live and Let Die

Man with the Golden Gun

Moonraker

Octopussy

K.M.

Watch The From Russia with Love Strikes Back, The Goldfinger Strikes Back, The On Her Majesty's Secret Service Strikes Back, The The Living Daylights Strike Back and The Goldeneye Strikes Back.

Which ones have you been watching?

Well yesterday I saw A View To A Kill on Dutch television and on friday I saw Die Another Day. I found both quite mediocre so if this is standard Bond-stuff it's something that I can't really enjoy.

Goldfinger, The Man with the Golden Gun, Goldeneye and The World is not Enough are IMO the most entertaining Bond films.

Goldfinger, The Man with the Golden Gun, Goldeneye and The World is not Enough are IMO the most entertaining Bond films.

I agree, The Man with the Golden Gun sticks out like a sore thumb in that line-up.

Well yesterday I saw A View To A Kill on Dutch television and on friday I saw Die Another Day. I found both quite mediocre so if this is standard Bond-stuff it's something that I can't really enjoy.

Don't worry, those are the lesser Bond films, though the first part of DAD was promising.

Lotman is correct.

A View To A Kill is easily the least interesting of the Bond films.

It's not that a lot of it is very bad, it's just pretty boring and slow.

Die Another Day has a very good first half that is pretty original and exciting, but then it get's lazy and becomes a special effects cliche.

Best of the Connery era:

From Russia with Love and Goldfinger

Best Lazenby:

On Her Majestys Secret Service (obviously)

Best Roger Moore:

The Spy Who Loved Me

Best Timothy Dalton:

The Living Daylights (controversial, i know)

Best Pierce Brosnan:

Goldeneye

The World Is Not Enough

Btw, Roald.

It still surprises me that a guy who loves a franchise which features cute teddybears called Ewoks, farting camels, something called a Gungan and a guy riding the universe's silliest cow is complaining about the Bond films not being cool enough.

Sean Connery can outcool anyone simply by standing there, doing absolutely nothing.

I saw A View To A Kill on Dutch television and on friday I saw Die Another Day.

Well that explains it. You haven't seen any good movies yet.

Anyway, responding to the question, the second best Bond film is probably On Her Majesty's Secret Service, while Goldfinger is my favorite. It's the Star Wars of James Bond films.

My advice is to start with Dr. No and work your way on up.

Neil

Yes, especially in the beginning, where the films felt more like a serial instead of a franchise (through returning characters and more obvious references to previous films) it is recommended to view the films in order. And AVTAK and DAD aren't exactly the cream of the crop when it comes to the Bond franchise.

- Marc

:mrgreen: John Debney - The Rescue/Morgan Saves Harry from Cutthroat Island --> Eat this Badelt fans! ;)

Recently I've been watching some James Bond films. I must honestly say: I don't really like it. The following may sound lame, but I just don't find it "cool" enough.

But I would like to see THE best Bond film out there. The problem is that I have no idea which one to choose. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

perhaps you should go with the Star Wars of Bond, and get the very best, instead of the 2nd best.

just start at Dr. No, and then go from there, you'll see some good Bond films, instead of the bad 2 you've watched.

If any one with a decent pair of eyes or indeed all those James Bond / John Williams fans out there should have seen the title on Elliot Carver's newspaper "Tomorrow" in TOMORROW NEVER DIES after the massacre of the English navy crew in the South China Seas.

"The Empire WILL Strike Back"

Referring to the headline, Elliot Carver stated: "I rather like the last one. It isn't even mine."

Hitch, who is typing on his keyboard at 100mph ala Elliot Carver, R.I.P.

Delicious!

1997_Tomorrow_Never_Di_151.jpg

My advice is to start with Dr. No and work your way on up.

Or, you can skip Dr. No. It's one of the worst and most boring Bond films.

If any one with a decent pair of eyes or indeed all those James Bond / John Williams fans out there should have seen the title on Elliot Carver's newspaper "Tomorrow" in TOMORROW NEVER DIES after the massacre of the English navy crew in the South China Seas.  

"THE EMPIRE WILL STRIKE BACK"

Referring to the headline, Elliot Carver stated: "I rather like the last one. It isn't even mine."  

Hitch, who is typing on his keyboard at 100mph ala Elliot Carver, R.I.P.  Delicious!

Carver is one of my favorite Bond villain. Easily the best of the Brosnan villains, making TND my favorite Brosnan film (in these films, they're really only as good as their villains, and usually no better).

Die Another Day has a very good first half that is pretty original and exciting, but then it get's lazy and becomes a special effects cliche.

I also thought it started really well. I felt Tamahori was on to something, doing it with a twinkle in his eye.......but then it just fizzled into shittiness. I guess I was imagining it.

Best of the Connery era:  

From Russia with Love and Goldfinger

Yes. Extremely so.

Best Lazenby:  

On Her Majestys Secret Service (obviously)

Yes.

Best Timothy Dalton:  

The Living Daylights (controversial, i know)

I, for one, fully agree with you. I can't stand License to Kill.

Best Pierce Brosnan:  

Goldeneye  

The World Is Not Enough .

Goldeneye is a good film, but not Bond enough for me. I can't stand the villains in TWINE, and thus, can't stand the movie. TND is my favorite, if only for the best villain and bond score in a long time.

Yes, the movie that launched the longest lasting film franchise is one of the worst. Riiiiiight.

Neil - who says you can't go wrong with 60's Bond

Yes, the movie that launched the longest lasting film franchise is one of the worst. Riiiiiight.

Neil - who says you can't go wrong with 60's Bond

You can't go wrong with 60's Hitch either. "Underneath the mango tree, m'honey..."

Joe Wiseman was cool as Dr. No though if he had any sense at all he'd have known not to have steel hands when playing in water. Tut-tut. :)ROTFLMAO

You have to remember, people were very dumb before the 1980's.

So I'm dumb, am I? :)

A dose of TOPAZ will cure you, my son!

Judging by that statement, things may not be much better now. :roll:

Neil

My favorites are For Your Eyes Only, GoldenEye, and The World is Not Enough. I think my favorite is GoldenEye. It has a pretty good score and a lot of great action. I don't remember much about A View to a Kill, but Die Another Day is definately one of the worst. Overall, I love the Bond films. (What's with the opening titles in Dr. No?)

Joe (from your signature):

there is more going on in that 30 second clip, than in all your precious 3 Potter scores combined.

Who the hell wrote this?

~Sturgis

So I'm dumb, am I? :)

A dose of TOPAZ will cure you, my son!

Case in point.

Judging by that statement, things may not be much better now. :roll:

Neil

I was not entirely serious in my comment. But Dr. No's success does have something to do with the fact that it was the early 60's and people had not seen a character like that before on film. Watching the film now, it is quite uninteresting. In particular because of it's totaly unremarkable villain.

Indeed, and the score is pretty much the James Bond Theme played over and over and over again.

~Sturgis, (who found that ridiculous quote, :))

Being a bit of a Bond afficonado, (I prefer the books to the movies however), here are my favorites:

Connery:

Dr. No. - The 1st and possibly Sean's best outing as 007.

From Russia with Love - Close to the book, not a lot of gadetry. Good Spy thriller.

Goldfinger - 1st of the "formula" Bonds and one of the best.

You only live twice - Acting so-so, plot so-so but visually one of the best.

Lazenby:

On her Majesty's Secret Service - Hews very close to the book. very little SF/Action elements. with only one movie hard to tell how the actor would have grown in the role.

Moore:

For your Eyes only. - the best of the '70s Bond. Moore's most realistic take on 007. Not as much humor as the rest of his turns as Bond.

Dalton:

The Living Daylights - Dalton's 1st turn as Bond, and very close to the literary take on the character. Cruel and efficient killer. Unfotuneately the movie was originally written for Brosnan, but re-written when he could not do it.

Licence to Kill - I like Dalton as Bond.

Brosnan:

I like them all, but the stories are too SF in nature. If Brosnan has done something like From Russia with Love could have been the best Bond.

I love Dr No, and I'd take it over the last three Bond films any day. It feels slightly more like a "Boys Own" adventure than your typical Bond film, but hey, there's nothing wrong with that. And it has some of the best lines of the entire series! "That's a Smith and Western..." "I admire your luck, Mr...?" "Does toppling American missiles compensate for having no hands?" "I'm looking for shells" "I'm just looking" etc. etc. etc.

Being a bit of a Bond afficonado, (I prefer the books to the movies however), here are my favorites:

Moore:

For your Eyes only. - the best of the '70s Bond. Moore's most realistic take on 007. Not as much humor as the rest of his turns as Bond.

As a Bond aficionado you should know that For Your Eyes Only is an '80s Bond film! (1981)

"Does toppling American missiles compensate for having no hands?"

One of my favorite lines. I always love it when the hero in the film is being a smart ass.

Neil

So, do you think you are a hero?

So you feel like you ain't nobody

Always needed to be somebody

Put your feet on the ground

Put your hand on your heart

Lift your head to the stars

And the world's for your taking

All you got to do is save the world

Yeah

So you feel like it's end of story

Find it all pretty satisfactory

Well I tell you my friend

This might seem like the end

But the continuation is

Yours for the making

Yes you're a hero

Ooh yeah

Neil

The reason Bond's bearable in FYEO is that for once he's actually a ruthless spy, when he kicks that car off the cliff. It is without a doubt the single greatest moment Moore had as Bond.

And Moore didn't want to do that. He thought it was too cold blooded for him. I think he wanted the dove pin to topple the car when he tosses it in. It's his best moment as Bond.

Neil

I'm not sure if Moore really protested, but there certainly were long discussions about it, and the dove pin toppling the car was the alternative I remember.

EDIT: Yes, I rechecked the DVD docu, and you were right. I should've known better than to question your Bond knowledge. 8O

My favourite Moore Bond moment is in the "I think he's attempting re-entry, Sir" scene at the end of Moonraker. He looks at the camera, realises he and Holly Goodhead are being watched from Earth, and gives a fantastic cheeky smile before turning the camera off. It sums up his approach to the role of Bond, a kind of boyish, mischievous prankster who nonetheless always saves the day and gets the girl. I know I'm in the minority here (I also love the car-kicking scene in FYEO, especially as it comes after a lung-busting run up a million flights of stone steps!) but I love Moore as Bond. His films were generally much weaker than Connery's, but that was hardly his fault IMO.

It still surprises me that a guy who loves a franchise which features cute teddybears called Ewoks, farting camels, something called a Gungan and a guy riding the universe's silliest cow is complaining about the Bond films not being cool enough.

Hey! For your information mister: that was not a camel, but an Oepie! 'Oepie' sounds way more cool than 'camel'!

And all of you: thanks for your information! I understand now that there is no UBER-Bond movie. There are supposed to be many good ones and opinions highly vary on which those exactly are. I think I just have to go with Neil's advice to start with Dr. No and work my way up. Thanks again!

Good advice. That way you will start with six absolute classics! It's only after the sixties that the quality starts to yo-yo, but by that point you may be hooked! Shake yourself a vodka martini, put the disk in, and Enjoy!

Bond: "I think it may be time to go home!"

Holly: - "James, take me round the world one more time."

Bond: - "Why not."

Bond :- "Good afternoon"

Holly :- "Can I help you?"

Bond :- "Yes my name is Bond, James Bond, I am looking for Dr Goodhead"

Holly :- "You just found her"

Bond :- "A woman"

Holly :- "Your powers of observation do you credit Mr Bond"

zerog_nookie.jpg

Even with a surname like Goodhead, I wonder if her name lived up to expectations. "Darling, I give very good head." Of course you do, u sexy minx.

Cue John Barry's funky End Title music.

Bond: - "I trust you can handle this contraption, Q"

Q:- "It goes by hot air."

Bond:- "Oh then you can!"

kirk1.jpg

just don't give up after Dr. No

.... at that time, the Bond "formula" had not been established... it really progressed in From Russia With Love, and hit the perfect combo of everything in Goldfinger...