ROTS - What first; buy the soundtrack or see the film?

hoby12

Will you buy/listen to the ROTS Soundtrack before seeing the film?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to it before seeing the film will make it less burdened by the quality of the film. And besides, if you plan on seeing the film, you only have one chance to hear the music with no idea what the images are.

Buy the soundtrack, of course. As has already been stated, the score is more important than the movie (especially in this case). Plus, half the fun is discussing it here with everyone as soon as it comes out, and waiting for the film makes that impossible.

Ray Barnsbury

Buy and listen to the CD first without question. The film (er...digital, call it what you will) is of secondary interest to me. I'm certainly intrigued to see how he's going to finish this trilogy, but would be surprised if I cared much either way come the end of it. These days I tend to anticipate the scores for many films more than the films themselves which is a trend I find rather disturbing....

The film (er...digital, call it what you will)

digitization is a good term for it.

OK folks, turn this in another direction,

WHO WILL WATCH THE VIDEO/ WILL YOU WATCH THE VIDEO WITHOUT WATCHING THE BATTLE OF THE HEROES(awful title by the way)

I'll listen score first and then... I don't know. Probably I will watch the bonus DVD. Yes I will. What the hell! As many others, I try to anticipate worst and may be I'll be rewarded with a more or less decent fi... whoops... digitization.

Obviosuly, the CD first. Could I really stare at it for a week or so, unlistened, waiting for the film to come out? No. And anyway, I wanna hear JW's most important score perhaps EVER!

- batmanand, who wouldn't watch any film before listeneing to its JW soundtrack

And anyway, I wanna hear JW's most important score perhaps EVER!

It came out 28 years ago. . . .

Anyways, I'm gonna buy and listen to the CD before I see the film, it will be fun to talk about it with everyone here. I think I'll see the film at least twice: once for the movie itself, and once paying more attention to the music.

~Sturgis

I'll see the movie first. Then, on the way home, I'll buy the soundtrack. I want to be surprised, and TPM was ruined for me when I flipped the soundtrack over and read "Qui-Gon's Noble End." There's only one chance to see the movie without knowing what's going to happen (besides the obvious), and I'm determined to do it!

I don't have Marian's willpower - if I have the soundtrack, I'll read the track titles or listen to it or something.

SeekUYoda, determined to be surprised.

I don't have Marian's willpower - if I have the soundtrack, I'll read the track titles or listen to it or something.

You have to train it. ;)

Marian - who didn't manage more than a couple of hours back when TPM came out, but succeeded with AOTC as well as all the Potters and the LOTR movies.

I have to admire your willpower you two. I can't imagine not listening to new Williams music the day it comes out (or sooner if possible), much less new Star Wars music.

. I can't imagine not listening to ....

I understand what that means but doesn't two negatives make a positive.

The stupid english language.

My favorite sentence which somehow means its own opposite.

works better when you say it.

You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor.

Due to the dual nature of the word "too"

-you can't put too much in (or else it will break and blow up)

-But then again you can't put too much in , there is always room for more.

-Hoby - who will buy the cd on the day and then see what happens from there

I blame all spelling and grammar mistakes on my keyboard

Seeing and hearing everything fresh would be pretty cool, but I've already sacrificed that by reading spoilers and listening to the sound clips. The CD, as soon as possible.

I can't imagine not listening to ....

I understand what that means but doesn't two negatives make a positive.

Then that would mean that he can imagine listening to it, so it's the same either way.

~Sturgis

Actually, it doesn't quite mean the same thing so John's statement seems fine. I can't remember the exact rules about the double negative but it if it forbids statements like that, I say ignore the rule.

As for the topic, if the movie came out the same day as the soundtrack, I?d watch the movie first. Ideally, I like to experience the music with the movie one time when everything is new. But like many others, there?s no way I could not buy the soundtrack right away (my own double negative civil disobedience). And with this movie there?s still going to be a lot of new music to experience in the movie and not on the soundtrack.

- Adam

When CoS came out, I decided to wait until I saw the movie before listening to the score. It was a dumb idea (for me personally), and it wasn't worth missing out on discussion at the board. Plus, in the case of that score specifically, it's presented better on the album than in the film.

Ray Barnsbury

That's true - it makes a big difference how the music is presented in the film. This film could be frustrating from a musical standpoint if I'm noticing a lot of music edits and such. In that case the soundtrack could be a much more rewarding first exposure to the larger score anyway.

- Adam

I'll be buying the CD as soon as I can, but I'm going to have to miss the early discussions here, unfortunately. I'll be in France when it comes out, and I won't be back until May 7th or 8th. :mrgreen:

- Marc, who won't be around for Harry Potter 6 either. :P

And anyway, I wanna hear JW's most important score perhaps EVER!  

that would be Jaws, without Jaws, Spielberg doesn't introduce John to George, which means no Star Wars.

Please people learn your history

As Stefancos above said the film really is of secondary importance. I buy the score as soon as possible meaning the 2nd of May. I am just happy that the score is released one day earlier here in Europe than in the States (for once).

lol poor Marc :mrgreen: this is why I hate going on vacation, going away from your trusted enviroment to have "fun" in another country

I'm getting it as soon as it is released, and I'll listen to it immediatly.

Seeing how there were a couple of other threads similar to this one, I'll express my concern here as well. I want to see the film first, so it's a fresh experience, as intended, behind a film. I want it to work first as a score. My fear is that Lucas has butchered the music beyond any recognizable fluidity or sense. Also, how hard is it going to be, knowing full well that the CD is out, and having to wait three weeks to see the movie? Will I be able to sustain my hunger that long?!

Tim

lol poor Marc :P this is why I hate going on vacation, going away from your trusted enviroment to have "fun" in another country

I'm getting it as soon as it is released, and I'll listen to it immediatly.

I know. Sucks donit? ;)

I'll get the CD in France, and I'll look for a British version of the book in Italy, along with an internet cafe. :mrgreen:

- Marc

I will see the movie first.

I dont want to imagine things (you know how tricky the track titles are in these releases), and then being let down...

But well i said that i wouldnt even hear the main theme, but well i have already heard the trailers and grievous music...

I didnt want to saw spoilers either and wel,l i could write a rought cut by now...

But i will own it the day it airs... i want to hear it when i return after the movie...