ROTS will dissapoint.

I am going to have to agree with all the negative people:

Those two sound clips are absolute garbage - I cannot believe that that is a genuine JW theme. It wanders! It wanders so hard just like an amatuer composer would make a theme. There are way too many notes and the figure just doesn't sit well as expanded quarter notes. This theme is so poor I hope it is only in this cue.

However I am sure we will get at least the 1 really tender cue and 1 amazing action cue that I look forward to every with JW non artsy fartsy score.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think I am being negative, just realistic.

If other can proclaim a score a masterpiece based on 90 seconds of low quality previews then I can certainly do the opposite.

Interesting for a schoolteacher to start cussing at someone who has a different opinion.

Been listening to too much Axl and Eminem and not enough real music i guess.

I was wondering; do you keep a notebook somewhere in which you write down every member's profession, musical preference and all or do you have an excessivly good memory?

I think that's about the 25th time in all the years on this board that you remind me of the fact that I am a schoolteacher. :)

Quote:

And you base this on, what?, one and a half minutes of music???!!! "Dramatically lacking any cohesive structure..." LIKE YOU WOULD KNOW!

You know music right?

Proof my otherwise, instead of calling names (hidden by ****'s)

Hmm...how about doing it the other way? YOU said that the ROTS soundtrack is ?Dramatically lacking any cohesive structure?. That sounds like Jar Jar Binks is performing Shakespeare to me. So please Master tell me WHY is it ?dramatically lacking any cohesive structure??

:wave:

And by the way; I was certainly NOT one of those who reacted orgasmatically upon hearing that Grievous track and proclaiming it the "greatest thing of all time" or something. I said I LIKED it.

How could anyone who considers themselves a fan of Williams be serious in their disappointment with the music on the Ringtone, the Trailer, and the Grievous preview?

I simply think, Stefan and JoeInAr have run out of interest in Williams' music.

The funniest thing is that Stefan thinks that anything Shore did in Rings wasn't first done by Williams in other movies. Is it possible that there is ZERO reference to LOTR, and that you are overly focused on that blip an the radar in the history of film music?

I was wondering; do you keep a notebook somewhere in which you write down every member's profession, musical preference and all or do you have an excessivly good memory?

You are a teacher, KM is a dentist, Joe works in B&N, Neil is somekinda postal worker, Chrusher is unemployed, Ren teaches little shits (her own words), Marian does something with computers and Alex complains for a living.

I think that's about the 25th time in all the years on this board that you remind me of the fact that I am a schoolteacher. :)

17th if you include a post that got deleted.

Hmm...how about doing it the other way? YOU said that the ROTS soundtrack is ?Dramatically lacking any cohesive structure?. That sounds like Jar Jar Binks is performing Shakespeare to me. So please Master tell me WHY is it ?dramatically lacking any cohesive structure??

:wave:

I say again, if other people can claim the brilliance of ROTS by listening to 90 seconds of music and a ringtone, why can I not do the opposite?

Heck, people were saying that ROTS was gonna be brilliant before they even heard a note, basing themselves on Internet reports designed to create a buzz for the film and score.

In short, people based their opinions on NOTHING.

:)

The funniest thing is that Stefan thinks that anything Shore did in Rings wasn't first done by Williams in other movies.

Were ever did I state such a thing.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to create 12 hours or more of music without deliberatly or accidentally referencing or copying what other people have done.

Is it possible that there is ZERO reference to LOTR, and that you are overly focused on that blip an the radar in the history of film music?

Why are you dogging me about this, i'm not the first person to make the connection to LOTR?

Stefan, I have been listening intently to Williams's music for 25 years now, have studied music theory in college, played various instruments and sang in musicals and choirs and can count myself as much an expert on his compositional "fingerprints" as you. I think I have earned the right to discuss this with you and others here.

I say again, if other people can claim the brilliance of ROTS by listening to 90 seconds of music and a ringtone, why can I not do the opposite?

I don't think you need this reminder, but you are on a John Williams FAN messageboard. Hello?

That doesn't mean that we should start worshipping John Williams and even go so far as to secretly recording the sounds the man would make on the toilet after a bad dish of Dutch food (bloemkool or something) and proclaiming it as another brilliant composition from the master.

It doesn't mean that people should not be able to critisize a score either. Ofcourse not.

But if anyone wants to be joyous about 60 minute soundclips THIS is the place to be!

At least they say WHAT THEY MEAN! You couldn't answer my question: "So please Master tell me WHY is it ?dramatically lacking any cohesive structure??", because you don't really know what you're saying do you? You give critisism just for the sake of being negative it seems.

I'm happy to see people rejoicing over a crappy ringtone. It's what fandom is ALL about!

Stefan, I have been listening intently to Williams's music for 25 years now, have studied music theory in college, played various instruments and sang in musicals and choirs and can count myself as much an expert on his compositional "fingerprints" as you. I think I have earned the right to discuss this with you and others here.

If Stefan is an expert and you are too than we are ALL experts here!

If you were riding in my car or truck, or saw the music files stored on my puter, you would not say that about me.

Joe, :) Leaving Home, the worst of John Williams :wave:

I don't think you need this reminder, but you are on a John Williams FAN messageboard. Hello?

Dedicated to the discussion of the music of John Williams, as I have done for many years now.

That doesn't mean that we should start worshipping John Williams and even go so far as to secretly recording the sounds the man would make on the toilet after a bad dish of Dutch food (bloemkool or something) and proclaiming it as another brilliant composition from the master.

Bloemkool does nothing for me in that department, but I see your point.

It doesn't mean that people should not be able to critisize a score either. Ofcourse not.  

But if anyone wants to be joyous about 60 minute soundclips THIS is the place to be!

That is your opinion, but I have always held a different one.

A 60 second teaser is like a big busted girl in a see through blouse sitting in front of you in the train.

Tentalising, but there's not much you can do with it, and if you look at them to much it will just drive you crazy.

At least they say WHAT THEY MEAN! You couldn't answer my question: "So please Master tell me WHY is it ?dramatically lacking any cohesive structure??", because you don't really know what you're saying do you? You give critisism just for the sake of being negative it seems.

It's a surprise to me that after all these years I can still fool many of you.

Have I not said time and again that I do not succomb to the temptation of previews, listening parties and advance promo's.

Of course I have not listened to the 60 second preview, not the TV ad, not the ringtone.

Any believe to the contrary is a grave mistake...

this thread was intended to be an ironic hyperboly on the mindless praising on the basis of the extremely little we have been allowed to hear.

It payed of better then I ever expected, I thank all of you who I (once again) fooled with great ease.

Roald, your title was well chosen, MASTER I am indeed, and Master I remain.

I'm happy to see people rejoicing over a crappy ringtone. It's what fandom is ALL about!  

That is what I call fandumb, and it's as silly as those who dislike the LOTR films because they have tomatoes in them.

Stefancos- ho's ringytnes are The Shire Theme, The Fellowship Theme and the Force theme 9for Mother)

Why are you dogging me about this, i'm not the first person to make the connection to LOTR?

While others have noted similarities to LOTR, you claimed it was "cut and paste" from LOTR.

Similarities can be attributed to shared influences from the tradition of choral and orchestral music. "Cut and paste" means you think Williams listened to, remembered, and mimicked LOTR music. To me this is a laughable conclusion - as is the idea that the music you heard was modeled intentionally on previous Williams music. The 90 seconds of music we've heard is clearly freely composed without any deliberate modelling.

as is the idea that the music you heard was modeled intentionally on previous Williams music. The 90 seconds of music we've heard is clearly freely composed without any deliberate modelling.

That's the big flaw in your conclusion, I never heard the ROTS preview.

bowdown:)bowdown:wave:bowdown

you are indeed the Master.

as several folks in the know here have already heard, I have listened to the 30 second clip, and the 60 second clip. The 30 second clip is not praise worthy nor does it need criticism, it simply is a minor piece of music outside a larger context. It value, and meaning are unclear at this point.

The 60 second piece I enjoyed thoroughly(spelling?, Herr Lotman care to correct please?). While I lack the musical training and background so many boast, I have been listening to John the longest on this board, and to my untrained ears, it sounded quite good, sort of an inversion of the trade federation theme. But as I must play a role at this board, as the nay sayer, I played it to the best of my abilities. The 60 second clip gave me hope that John will not give us a terrible score like AOTC, that was never a ruse, its still a dreadful work, but hope springs eternal. 26 days, and approx. 19 hours till I purchase this score. My anticipation is high.

That's the big flaw in your conclusion, I never heard the ROTS preview.

You're the biggest trouble maker here! And that's a compliment.

Ok, ok, Stefan... Didn't see that one coming you ol' prankster!

But anyway...

this thread was intended to be an ironic hyperboly on the mindless praising on the basis of the extremely little we have been allowed to hear.

But still; at least their praising is GENUINE! Why would you want to take that away from anyone? Why would you care so much? Why do you feel the need to play Jesus on them?

Why am I so upset that I fell into another trap by the, sigh admittingly, ... Master!

Why do we gain such amusement from this. This is the sort of thing my wife ridicules me about...

But its a happy shame.

Though, Williams has mentioned that he sings in the bathtub. Perhaps that was the Genesis of your most beloved creations! How much do you think a disc of that would go for on ebay?

But still; at least their praising is GENUINE! Why would you want to take that away from anyone?

Says the person who was determined to make us believe Williams might not be scoring WOTW, long after doubting that had become unreasonable?

Why would you care so much? Why do you feel the need to play Jesus on them?

For playing Jezus you must be mistaking me for Mr. Caviezel.

As for my motives:

Either I observed something all to common for this forum, a sad devotion, lacking any reality to even the slightest note written by John Williams.

Therefore (inspired by Joe's signature) I felt it was the time to hold a looking glass in front of certain MB members, so through the mirror image of what they posted they could see themselves in a better light, therefore gaining a new understanding vital to the improvement of themselves, and therefore the MB.

Or.

I've been sick all week, had already watched the extended DVD editions of The Lord Of The Rings 3 times (regulary, with cast commentary and directors commentary) ripped unreleased music from the fanclub credits of these DVD's and edited them with the CD tracks to create a personal promo for my iPod...

I had completed all this and still had some time to kill.

I was bored and the MB was boring to, so I decided to liven things up a bit by manipulating you like the mindless puppets you are, merely for my own amusement.

Pick whatever one you think is closer to the truth.

Why am I so upset that I fell into another trap by the, sigh admittingly, ... Master!  

And you call yourself a teacher?

If Stefan is an expert and you are too than we are ALL experts here!

Works for me! :)

And you call yourself a teacher?

I digged up some old Groovy Yak material and I calculated that this is actually the 5567830277th time!

I'm gonna sleep man! (Yeah I know it's way too early!) Thanks for the fun again! :)

By the way; CyclonusArmada - do you by any means like Battlestar Galactica? I'm really excited about that new series. Never had much enthusiasm for the old ones, but that re-imagined series looks way cool! And Starbuck's a girl now!

Great thread, Steef.

Well, I mean your first post is good. I skipped the rest.

It was generally mostly filler, like the ROTS score will inevitably be judging by these clips.

Neil

I do not think I am being negative, just realistic.

If other can proclaim a score a masterpiece based on 90 seconds of low quality previews then I can certainly do the opposite.

Personally I haven't proclaimed anything,except that I like the clips so far despite the abyssimal sound quality.I also believe that if Williams was asked to "lean" on LotR by Lucas then to me it's very promising.You see,I think the LotR music sounds "nice" but that all the themes in there are utter garbage except 1 or 2 maybe.If Williams uses the Shore style Epic choirs but puts his usuall brilliant themes in there like he knows how to do,then were in for a treat.Maybe we'll know how much LotR would have been better had he scored it.Maybe that's what he wants too.

K.M.

KM is a dentist, .

Sometimes,but of course posting at the message board is much more important.That's why I'm not rich.

K.M.

If you were riding in my car or truck, or saw the music files stored on my puter.

What,you have learned to encode MP3's?I am shocked.I thought they only sold scores on cassette in Ar.

K.M.

Mr. Allen.

This thread could never have been what it was without your contribution.

I thank you, and so should all of sound mind.

thank you my master,

you lead and I follow, as for the rest, sometimes you must be rough with a rabble crowd, a kick in the @$$ here, a kick in the nutts there.

And king mark, I have music on my computer that I've copied from the cds to make cdrs. I've just never deleted them, as for the car, and truck its CD all the way, I've had a cd player in my vehicle since 1992. How long have you?

By the way; CyclonusArmada - do you by any means like Battlestar Galactica? I'm really excited about that new series. Never had much enthusiasm for the old ones, but that re-imagined series looks way cool! And Starbuck's a girl now!

Well, there may be some confusion, as my name refers to a cool (as far as the movie and first series is concerned) Transformers character named Cyclonus and not the Battlestar Galactica villain the Cylons. I have seen some of the BG series and it is interesting, glad Ron Moore is having great success with it, but it has not grabbed me in an emotional context yet, which I know it has done for others....

This thread is the perfect example of why I love this message board. :)

~Sturgis, assuming the silly stuff about earning respect based on post count was fake too . . .

Sturgis, assuming the silly stuff about earning respect based on post count was fake too . . .

Actually that was the only true thing in this thread.

Neil - ready to see the "I, Mudd" android heads blow up after reading that statement

Well, I'm sorry I missed the fun. Joe plays his role as the board's crusty old curmudgeon very well. And Steef, well, he's Steef. He's not called Master for nothing.

And about Battlestar Galactica, we had the season finale here in the US last week, and if you liked the mini-series you will not be disappointed. Great stuff.

So, Cyclonus where are you from?

Well, I currently reside in downtown Chicago, have since Oct 98, but before that was various places in North Carolina and then before that was Texas... and born in Oklahoma City to boot!