What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (DVD edition)

I finally saw the DVD today. Hrumph.

The image suffers from severe oversaturation. Colors seem to change almost from shot to shot, especially on the white Tantive IV set. Explosions look deep orange. It's kind of funny, because Lucas went through the trouble of removing the close-ups from the wolfman from the cantina sequence, but the very first shot has him sitting at the far left of the screen. His eyes are now so bright red my eyes were immediately drawn to him.

No bad edge enhancement, though, and I didn't see a single piece of dirt, and the sharpness of the image is unparalelled. You can really appreciate the production design much more on a transfer like this. Blacks look too dark at times, but at least space now looks dark instead of the lightish color I'm used to. Most of the annoying matte residu is gone (those light squares around spaceships), except for during the Falcon/TIE Fighter dogfight towards the end of the film. The added CGI on Tatooine still stands out like a sore thumb. The improvements to the final battle aren't really that bad. The main title crawl is odd, though, because it now comes into view on the left side like half a second before it pops up on the right. It's supposed to come up along the entire bottom of the frame at the same time.

This DVD made me appreaciate good sound mixing. Because it's something this DVD certainly doesn't have. Very often sound effects are mixed way too loud and are distracting. Vader's breathing during a conversation on the Tantive IV, the foley in Ben's hut, the shaking of the Falcon's cockpit at the Death Star approach, the attrociously low level the music was pulled to at the start of the final battle. Overall I was disappointed by the low level of the music (not to mention the rear channel swap, making the music sound off and poorly integrated). Dubbing is more obvious here. At some points it always was pretty obvious there had been some ADR done. You can still hear it there, but at other points too, now (the cantina barman, Leia talking to Vader on the Tantive IV, and other moments). The difference in dialogue quality is staggering. They must have used a bunch of different sources. Some of it sounds amazingly clear, like it was recorded yesterday. Others have a lot of noise in it and sound like they were directly taken from a mono track and dumped in there. Worst scene is just before Alderaan is blown up, where it goes from crystal clear to muddled and canned in the middle of a sentence. A very poor mix indeed.

I do dig the surround action, though, but it's only a small gain over the mess this mix otherwise has become.

In the end, the film is still very powerful - as long as what you're seeing was done in 1977; the additional VFX stand out like a sore thumb. I'm not going to write a whole lot about the whole original vs. remastered thing, except for saying that if Lucas would just release the original version, there wouldn't be half as much bitching and moaning about his tinkering. Star Wars is a movie thousands of people could dream for 2 decades, and then to change, often making things worse rather than improving, such a beloved classic and not release the original version is an immensely stupid thing to do.

- Marc

Snow Falling on Cedars (1999, by Scott Hicks)

Interesting formal choices (flashback inserts, overlapping dialogue etc.), but somehow the story seemed 'too small' for all the razzle-dazzle.

It's the typical american 'milk of human kindness'-story, with Max von Sydow in the old Spencer-Tracy-as upright-lawyer-role and ethan Hawke as rejected lover of kazuo, a japanese girl, suffering through a midwest concentration camp in WW2-shaken America. All this is wrapped up in a murder trial against Kazuo's husband, just after the war, when the old prejudices against the 'japs' break free.

Mind you, it all sounds more dramatic than it is, but the cinematography is sublime and James Newton Howards score ranges from sublime (Snow Drive, Strawberry Fields) to overbearing (Tarawa). All in all, good film, great production values, a bit boring.

I watched Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation the other night. I had a good time with this direct to video movie. Phil Tippet made his directorial debut with it, and he did a good job, keeping the pace going and the story interesting. It owes a great debt to John W. Campbell's short story, Who Goes There?, basis for both versions of The Thing and actually a line of dialogue someone speaks in this at one point!

It's got a really rousing score and some really gross make up effects. This movie was shot digitally, and towards the end a scene is shot with a heavy blue cast, and it got really soft looking. I'm not sure this is a result of the technology or my monitor, though I've never experienced this before.

I'd say it's worth a rental. Don't expect high-art, but it's a diverting 90 minutes.

Neil

I watched Ever After with Drew Barrymore, I'm surprised I liked it so much.

I liked Ever After too.

Recent movies I saw:

Lemony Snicket's ASOUE: I really liked it. A murder mystery, which is good. It looked like a kids' movie at first glance.

The girl, Violet, was really good in her role, and quite pretty.

Phantom of the Opera the Movie: Minnie Driver as Carlotta was excellent; and Emmy was good as Christine, She's better than Sarah Brightman because she doesn't "overact" her singing ability like S.B. It was quite jarring b/c all I wanted to do was compare these two.

Andrew L. Webber is da bomb. He's had me singing in the shower for the past week. As for Phantom, he gets by on what he's got. He's a good looking guy.

'The Life and Death of Peter Sellers' (2004, Stephen Hopkins)

Geoffrey Rush is phenomenal in becoming Sellers all the way. It's a bio pic with some artistic freedoms taken, as Rush slips frequently out of his role to comment on Sellers behaviour in the guises of people surrounding him (his domineering mother etc.). The film rushes thru the early stages of Sellers youth and gets his rhythm after Sellers gets a movie star. Then it spends a good deal of time showing us Sellers idiosyncrasies and inner turmoil...as a lifelong alter ego of his 'Chance, the gardener' role, a man without an own personality.

To be honest, i did like it, but the real fire of the movie was Rush playing recreations of the various Seller roles. A hilarious turn as Closeau in an airplane, playing Dr. Strangelove while chitchatting with his mother etc.

Interesting film with some of the usual biopic problems (you want to stay on a certain occurence while the movie moves steadily), but certainly worth the rental. Did i say that Rush was great?

Chopper. An Aussie movie, starring Eric Bana. I found this particularly good, if not great at parts. And, despite having seen Hulk, I am now convinced that Bana can act.

He was just fine in The Hulk and Troy.

And Black Hawk Down. Though he was given too important a role with too little screen time. Can't wait for his work with Spielberg.

Eric Bana was also considered to play the role of James Bond at one point.

Last movie I saw, 'Ocean's 12.'

Absolutely dreadful movie.

A heist movie with one thing lacking.....a heist.

Ocean's 11 is waaaay better.

I completely agree. I wanted to throw my drink at the screen when I saw Ocean's 12. And that Julia Roberts gag? I saw it coming and PRAYED that it wouldn't be what I thought it would.....and then it was. Terrible!

Ray Barnsbury

When I saw it I thought they were gonna dress Julia Roberts up as Catherine Zeta Jone's character.

I was wrong. What a horrible idea!

Writing at it's best. :music:

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone. I was surprised at how I reacted to this film. Chris Columbus directs a film that is very close to the book, it's well cast, well scored, and with many characters, well acted. But it's just boring. Don't get me wrong, much of the opening is enchanting especially the moments in diagon alley. But honestly for the most part it's a surprisingly emotionless film. Please don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the film quite a bit but there are many aspects that are just....not done very well in the film.

The chess game is disturbingly unimpressive. A lot of the lines are horrid and did anyone really believe that Ron was dead or even badly hurt from that 4 1/2 foot fall? But generally the problem with SS is not with particular scenes. It's simply the directing seems so bland. It's almost like Lucas is behind the camera. It seemed to me that Columbus was using the point and shoot method of filming.

I think what has happened is that the charm of first seeing Harry's wondrous world has worn off leaving something of an uninspiring directorial job by Mr. Columbus. When I first saw it I was enwrapped in the magical world that Harry was exploring. Upon repeat viewings the film is serviceable, and still quite enjoyable. It's almost as if the fantasy element of SS was buffering the rather clumsy directing and editing. I still really like the film, and the book hasn't missed a beat. However, the film is far from perfect and doesn't deserve the abnormal amount of praise is receives here. 3/4 - 4/5 - 7/10

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. A step in the right direction in many places. In others, not so much. One of the biggest problems with CoS is it's uncanny ability to bring in aspects of the Potter world for no reason whatsoever. The film simply wastes time in a lot of places. The spiders scene could have been trimmed considerably, as could the overdone quidditch game. And of course our new character, Gilderoy Lockhart. Well, he served no real purpose, you see, except comic relief. This isn't really a problem with the film, the book has the same thing. Branaugh's performance is very enjoyable, but it really doesn't go anywhere.

Comparing SS to CoS I might have to give the nod to CoS. The film has more suspense and more mystery than it's predecessor. It involves the viewer on more emotional level in many places. However, CoS never had the magic of SS, and it never will. The directing seems to have more structure in some places but in others it seems far more sporadic. In the end I would give SS the nod saying that while CoS is more intense and suspenseful. it still suffers from the same old directing and editing. Not to mention that an element of magic is gone from the film. 3/4 - 3.5/5 - 6/10

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban. Perhaps it's because the books take an upward leap at this point. Whatever reason you choose PoA is simply put, a spell and a half better than it's predecessors. The directing knows where it wants to go and what it wants to say. It has a definite style to it. I cannot praise Cuaron enough for his visual style. Simply, breathtaking.

The script seems tighter in this film. The acting has practically zero cringe inducing moments (an element that was not achieved with the first two). The magic is back in the simple 'feel' of the film. For the first time this really feels like the book I read and not the book that Chris Columbus felt it should be. Everything seems much more natural, from the more relaxed clothes to the acting scenes everything clicks.

Note that not everything is perfect elements. The lack of an explanation to the Marauders Map is annoying from a HP fan-boy perspective but there is really no reason for the map to be explained in this film. If done well in the next film I can easily forgive this "mistake." A few other quibbles is Pettigrew's clothes not transforming with him back into the rat during the werewolf scene. Is he going to be naked the next time he becomes human? Not a pleasant thought. Another is the werewolf. Again, from a HP Fan-boy perspective the look of the wolf contradicts the book when it says that werewolves look like regular wolves. But then again, in the scene the wolf is far more scary and threatening as it is.

If there is one thing PoA does well it is to not be afraid to change things if it helps the scene or film. The dementors are a great example. They go from floating ring-wraith rip-offs to flying, caped, water freezing, demons that can dogfight with a nimbus 2000 any day. However, the finest achievement of PoA is very simple. Mood. This is done no better than with the scene between Mr. Weasley and Harry. The whole scene is one shot. The lighting is brilliant, the camera keeps moving as do our characters. I love the final push in on Harry as he asks to Williams subtle underscore "Why would I go looking for someone who's trying to kill me?"

The whole film builds around Harry's inevitable confrontation with Sirius and when we finally see him there is feeling of real danger. Something lost in Harry's confrontation in SS with Voldemort. If I were to go scene by scene through the film we would be here all night. However, I'll simply say that the best scene in the film is the Dementor on the Train scene and that PoA is a HUGE step in the right direction for the Potter series. I have rarely enjoyed a film as much as I did on this last viewing. My biggest gripe is that Cuaron is not returning for GoF. 4/4 - 5/5 - 9.5/10

On a bonus note, I must say that I'm not very impressed with the trailer to GoF. With PoA we heard new Williams music and were informed that something wicked was coming our way. With GoF we get some cheap MV music and are informed that "Difficult time are ahead." zzzzzzzz....

Justin - Who hopes the trailer campaign gets better.

I don't think I've ever agreed so completely with such a long post. Well done, your insights are spot on.

Ray Barnsbury - getting the urge to watch PoA again

The lack of an explanation to the Marauders Map is annoying from a HP fan-boy perspective but there is really no reason for the map to be explained in this film.

Read the book again.

I simply can't watch POA it gets worse after every viewing, its horribly directed, it plays like a series of scenes that are not interconnected. The acting is fine, and the score is first rate, but give me SS or COS anyday.

SS 3.5 out of 4

COS 3 out of 4

POA 2-1/2 out of 4.

'Where Eagles Dare' (1968, forgot director)

Kind of Bruckheimer-movie for it's day...it's junky and implausible, but great fun all the way. Richard Burton and Clint penetrate an inpenetrable nazi fortress in Bavaria. The amount of explosives in Clint's pockets is staggering, at the end of the movie he's blown up half of Bavaria and of course there are always at least 20 machine gun carrying nazis falling apart everytime he throws a grenade.

Add a well-breasted gal called 'Heidi' (i'm joking not!) as henchman of Secret service agent Burton and you've got the kind of movie you best enjoy with some friends and a sixpack...or whatever gets you in the mood :)

PS: late memo to the producers: there weren't any choppers in WWII and certainly not for second grade Wehrmacht-generals to fly around...

I used to like the movie, but it kinda fell flat for me the last time around. I can't stand all the English speaking Germans, especialy in scenes where one character is supposed to be speaking English and one character is supposed to eb speaking German, when they're both speaking english. For me, Guns of Navarone is the one stop answer for WWII action film. That one's got everything going for it.

Bad Boys II

This wasn't as awful as I thought it'd be. Smith and Lawrence still work great together, and their comedy parts I really enjoyed. Too bad they were too few and too far apart. Instead, we get one action scene after another. The opening shoot-out had me rolling my eyes and expecting the worst. It has every single modern action cliché cranked up another notch. The freeway chase is spectacular, though. Come on, how can you not love it when they're throwing cars around like it's nothing?

The film goes on for way too long, though. You're already ready to leave by the time the dope-bust starts up. When that's done, you find out they're going to have another action sequence in Cuba. Which means another locations, and even more characters have to be introduced. Narratively, this film is a real mess, and Bay goes over the top with his eye-candy photography again. The first Bad Boys had a small budget and worked really well. The more money Bay gets, the worse his films seem to get. Yuck.

If you're going to watch this, put your brain on the shelf. You'll have a good 90 - 105 minutes. Too bad the movie runs for 140.

The Big Lebowski

What can I say? Still brilliant.

Collateral

Great film. Mann seems to really love L.A., a rare thing apparently. And I was very impressed by Cruise's work on this film.

Office Space

Hilarious. Too bad the second half suffers from having to deal with an actual plot.

X2

Great sequel, but this too runs just a little too long. Singer and Ottman know how to handle an ensemble piece very well. I hope whoever's doing X3 will know how to pull off an ensemble that will be even bigger than this.

- Marc

I can't stand English speaking Germans in films that have both English speakers and German speakers.

You don't think Germans can speak English?

I wonder how Chris would feel about this...or Andreas.

I'm sure they can. But that is far beside the point.

Funny. And while the music is by Hans Zimmer, there are enough Born Free quotes to make me not mind. I had a good time with the movie. And I've been playing Born Free non-stop ever since (both the FSM and the Varese albums). :mrgreen:

Neil

Funny.

I find that.....surprising, concidering the reviews.

And I've been playing Born Free non-stop ever since (both the FSM and the Varese albums).  :mrgreen:

I'm still debating over getting the FSM album. Is there enough to the score other than the theme to make it worthwhile? If it is, I'll go on a mini Barry outing and get this and King Kong (two scores I know practicaly nothing about).

Saw Used Cars. I love this movie. I just love the whole spirit of it. It's from the 1941 school of filmmaking, just a whole lot more successful. It's such an irreverant, socialy irresponsible movie. It deserved a bigger audience, the same audience the Landis and Zucker films got. The commentary is one of the funniest ever.

I just watched Jurassic Park. I think this is one of Spielberg's best films, right up until the end, when the Tyrannosaur shows up in the visitor center with no noise or attention until he grabs the Raptor. Everything else I like though; Not least of all, JW's score. I love how Spielberg injects subtle humour into the movie (objects in mirror)... Lucas should have taken a cue from Spielberg and lsot Ankin twirls around in a spaceship in the middle of a battle while a Gungan makes havoc for everyone down below because he doesn't have enough sense not to be stupid as hell.

I love how Spielberg injects subtle humour into the movie (objects in mirror)...

Even thought that text never appears on the driver side mirrors.

I saw a print of Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan tonight. I absolutely love this movie, and am amazed I've only ever seen it 3 times on film. I saw it a 4th time in a theater, but that was the DVD projected. I don't know if that counts, even though George Takei, Ricardo Montalban and Nicholas Meyer were there. Anyway, tonights print was very nice with only a few blemishes. The audience really got into the spirit of the movie and was having a good time with it. Spontaneous applause started as the camera lingered on the stars before the titles actually appeared in the beginning.

Neil

I just watched Jurassic Park. I think this is one of Spielberg's best films, right up until the end...

You say that now, but one day your mind will change (hopefully).

Cheers!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Why? Let him have it :mrgreen:

I have friends whose only cinematic playgrounds are Lucio Fulci splatter films, and i've come to accept it...well, after long educational measures of mine, ranging from Billy Wilder to 'Snatch', but alas, it still is splatter they fancy most.

Bought 'A very long Engagement' (2004, Jean-Pierre Jeunet).

Apart from being a bit overlong it's a stunning romantic drama with scenes of great beauty (all the stuff at Tatou's parents) and even a good gore jolt here and there in the war scenes. The cinematography is breathtaking, the music is ATROCIOUS!

This movie needed, especially in the flashbacks, something much more airy and lightweight...where's Georges Delerue when you need him? (i know, i know) Badalamenti carpeted the whole film in unnecessary heavy bathos without much of a theme, but full of ominous chords and cymbal crashing announcing the tiniest of proceedings on the screen...man, where's James Horner when you need him? At least he can write themes of longing and sorrow (even if their all sound the same these days) between all the mush.

Why? Let him have it :mrgreen:  

I have friends whose only cinematic playgrounds are Lucio Fulci splatter films, and i've come to accept it...well, after long educational measures of mine, ranging from Billy Wilder to 'Snatch', but alas, it still is splatter they fancy most.  

Bought 'A very long Engagement' (2004, Jean-Pierre Jeunet).

Apart from being a bit overlong it's a stunning romantic drama with scenes of great beauty (all the stuff at Tatou's parents) and even a good gore jolt here and there in the war scenes. The cinematography is breathtaking, the music is ATROCIOUS!  

This movie needed, especially in the flashbacks, something much more airy and lightweight...where's Georges Delerue when you need him? (i know, i know) Badalamenti carpeted the whole film in unnecessary heavy bathos without much of a theme, but full of ominous chords and cymbal crashing announcing the tiniest of proceedings on the screen...man, where's James Horner when you need him? At least he can write themes of longing and sorrow (even if their all sound the same these days) between all the mush.

I felt Jeunet was blatantly repeating himself (Amelie), but less successfully. The whole movie bathed in that "Hey, people bought it! In that case, let's give the audience some more of that poplar Amelie recipe".

----------------

Alex Cremers

I must shamefully admit that i haven't seen 'Amelie'...only the first 10 minutes...but anyway, there isn't a Zeppelin blowing up in that one, so 'Engagement' has a slight edge :mrgreen:

Granted, that Zeppelin scene was gorgeous to look at. I suppose the whole movie was gorgeous to look at, but as a film, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain felt more honest (and also gorgeous to look at).

----------------

Alex Cremers

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (DVD Edition)

Wow.

The DVD looks gorgeous. While there are still some occasional color problems (Hoth looks rather blue, and Dagobah perhaps a little too green), the picture is otherwise brilliant and an improvement over the Star Wars transfer from the same set. And it's a gigantic improvement over the LaserDisc bootleg. I borrowed this set off a friend, but if Star Wars would've looked and sounded this good I'd pick up this set this week.

The image quality is superb, really bringing out the cinematography in a whole new way, making it look better than ever. Every frame is razor sharp and there isn't a single fleck of dirt anywhere.

The remix is also very good, although there is sometimes a bit too much low end. Han blowing up the probe droid sounds like a spaceship exploding, and one of the stormtroopers getting shot by Leia on Bespin sounded like something big blowing up, too. Otherwise, this is an excellent mix where everything sounds properly integrated (unlike on the previous film). You can still tell it's a remix, because it doesn't sound as ultra-slick as a modern 5.1 mix of course, but for a 25-year-old film this is pretty damn sweet.

Of course, a Star Wars post wouldn't be complete without some nagging. The changes made to ESB in the SE were useless, apart from the cleaning up of the effects. The battle of Hoth looks great, and I do dig R2 in color. I don't care much for opening up the Bespin hallways. I liked the claustrophobic feel of the original, and there's some continuity errors in this cleanup too. Seeing McDiarmid as the Emperor is pretty neat. The new dialogue is redundant. Clive Rivell is still credited as "Voice of the Emperor" in the end credits for some reason (presumably laziness). The addition of Vader's shuttle reaching the Executor is again redundant and breaks up the tension of the chase below. The replacing of Fett's original voice is completely lame. But at least that horrendous scream of Luke's is now gone again (they even used the Emperor's scream from RotJ on the SE for crying out loud) - a major plus that it's gone. And I like that they put some of the score back in for the SE.

So most of these changes don't make a whole lot of difference. Some of them were better left undone, but at least ESB doesn't get F-ed up as bad as SW did.

That last paragraph may sound like a lot of bitching, but despite the unnecessary changes, ESB is still an amazing experience. It's one of the finest sequels ever made and my favorite in the Star Wars series. It was a difficult task following up the original, but they really pulled through with this one. Kudos all around!

- Marc

I simply can't watch POA it gets worse after every viewing, its horribly directed, it plays like a series of scenes that are not interconnected. The acting is fine, and the score is first rate, but give me SS or COS anyday.

SS 3.5 out of 4

COS 3 out of 4

POA 2-1/2 out of 4.

After POA, I can't watch the first two anymore. The simply pale in comparison. POA has a great ambiance, and Doube Trouble really sounds like the theme for the castle. If you listen to tracks like Secrets of the Castle or the Hagrid the Profesor, you really get the feeling the theme ilustrates that "another morning in hogwarts" feel.

to each his own, I can watch the first two, but I use the chapter selection on the third. Its obvious that the board likes this film best, but it was obvious the general public did not, and they would be correct, its individual scenes are sometimes fantastic, unfortunately the sum of the whole is less than the individual parts. Its so choppy, time has no meaning, and the script is the weakest of the three.

its individual scenes are sometimes fantastic, unfortunately the sum of the whole is less than the individual parts.  Its so choppy, time has no meaning, and the script is the weakest of the three.

As far as I'm concerned, this describes the second movie very well, as well as the first one to an extent.

Marian - who considers POA to be the best, by far.

:) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Cliff Eidelman)

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (DVD Edition)

Funny. I caught Return of the Jedi on TV last night. I decided to watch it for the ending, with Sith fresh in mind, since I wasn't planning to go out. My only conclussion is, did Palpatine really want to seduce Luke to the Dark Side? When he was trying to drag Anakin under his command, he'd sweet-talk him with words of immortality, absolute power to bring peace into the galaxy and prove everyone else that he was right all along, and comfort. Now, some twenty-something years later, that same character tries to seduce Vader's son, a more powerful warrior than his father, to his side, and this is the best he can come up with:

I'm looking forward to completing your training. In time you will call me Master.
Give in to your anger. With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant.
It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. You, like your father, are now mine!
Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!

And this coming from a man who deceived an entire galaxy and manipulated the established order to gain absolute power. Maybe somebody should remind him of something called subtlety.

Luke's dilemma seems stupid now, after Sith, because in here, he's just reduced to a man watching fireworks from a window and an old man explaining him what exactly he must do in order to fall into the dark side - which is pretty much the only thing he doesn't want to do. So, Jedi's only redeeming value gone down the drain, I think. Eh. I should have just changed the channel.

I watched the OT Star Wars DVDs last weekend. I must say they looked fantastic.

I never quite got the OT v. SE debate. There are some effects that "I could do without" understates, but really, I'd still take the SE any day. This may be because I first saw Star Wars in the theatre when it was released as the special edition, but looking at some of the original footage is painful.

My three biggest complaints about the DVDs are all about RotJ. The replacement of the Jabba music was silly. And the rancor scenes *still* look like they were done by the South Park people, just with fancier cutouts. And the replacement of Anakin at the end of the movie is blasphemous. (Jabba in ANH is a very close 4th.)