What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

In an alternate reality...

"Return of the Jedi voted #1 Movie of All Time by American Film Institute!

Others that made the top ten...

1. Return of the Jedi

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Attack of the Clones

4. The Phantom Menace

5. Batman

6. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

7. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

8. Gladiator

9. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

10. Die Another Day"

Drax, pushing Neil's buttons

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sin City. A bit monotonous and 20 minutes too long. Other then that it's well done. Nothing lasting, however.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Sin City. A bit monotonous and 20 minutes too long. Other then that it's well done. Nothing lasting, however.

I disagree. The feel of the city is gonna stay with me for a while.

I saw March of the Penguins tonight. It's a visually stunning documentary on the mating habits of penguins. In the US it's narrated by Morgan Freeman. It's a little slow at times, but the penguins and their chicks are so cute it makes up for that. Naturally, it's not always the happiest film, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Oh, and I saw the theatrical trailer for My Date with Drew tonight!! I saw one of my best friends from high school on the big screen with a crowd! It was awesome!

Neil

Saw The Untouchables. I forgot how great the great parts of this movie are. I haven't seen it in a while, and gained a new found respect for the performances by Connery and De Niro. I don't think I ever realized exactly how highly stylized the film was. Not very much of the film feels real, but when you get such wonderfully indulgent, stylistic artists like De Palma, Mammet and Morricone, reality is not the prime requisite. It's a great looking film, and a great sounding one, with one of the great scores. I think the only parts of the film that don't work are the rather innocuous family scenes.

Also saw highlights from Michael Collins (Didn't have patience for the whole thing). The movie has a surprisingly high amount of expertly executed set pieces. And if it weren't for Julia Roberts, I'd say the movie was exquisitely cast, and really one of the best acted movies of the 90's. This, put together with wonderful design, scoring, and editing, unfortunately do not make up entirely for the movie's flaws (Principaly Roberts' casting and character), but it's still well worth watching.

And at the urging of a friend of the feminine sex, I saw Lasse Halstrum's (sp) Chocolat, which was a little better than harmless. A far too sugary film, but Alfred Molina and Johnny Depp are always fun to watch. And Rachel Portman's score is quite good, I'm even concidering buying it in the future.

Oh, and I hope to watch The Fury for the first time tonight.

I'm curious, which minutes of it did you not like?

Morlock- who also loves almost every minute of Titus

Ah, a few snippets here and there. A few things I thought didn't work out right. But nothing substantial really. At a certain point, Goldenthal's music tried to compete too hard with Hopkins rousing voice. It momentarily undermined his performance. A few scenes weren't as strong as they could've been. I'm glad I bought the DVD though. I knew nothing about this film. I loved the acting (Hopkins without American accent!), the sets and costumes.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yup, it's a good movie. And with Dante Ferretti as your production designer, you're pretty much guarenteed to have a great looking film (especialy in one where the design is such a crucial aspect). I remember seeing the trailers and having one big WTF? one my mind. I rented it for Hopkins, and kinda liked it the first time, but the second time, a few months ago, I really loved a great deal of it. I'm really curious as to Taymor's future out put. I thought Frida was a bit dissapointing, but she is definately one of the more interesting and original directors currently working.

I thought Frida was a bit dissapointing, but she is definately one of the more interesting and original directors currently working.

Wow, Titus and Frida are by the same director? I thought Frida was tops! Now I've got two good movies of her. I shall follow her future career with great interest.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, that's another movie I only saw once and must see again.

Saw The Fury. I've gotta contemplate the film a bit before really forming an opinion about it. Superficialy, I liked Douglas and Cassevettes, Gillian's vision on the stairs (one of the most visually entrancing scenes I've seen) and the brilliant score. As for the rest, I need to let it sink in.

Tokyo Godfathers

26320-large.jpg

This is such a wonderful anime film. I rank it up there with Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Metropolis and all the great ones i'm forgetting. It's the story of three bums, a girl an "old queer" and a "geezer" who find a baby in a trash can and begin a journey to find the parents. Each bum has their own story. But all of the stories are centered on one thing. Family, the lack of one, the effects of a disfunctional one and the search for a family lost long ago. The movie is sweet to the point where your teeth will rot, but NEVER, ever becomes cheesy. The art work is great as is with many anime movies. The characters are great and believable. And i loved the story ,how the bums unraveled the mystery of how this baby got into the trash can in the frist place, and unravel the mysteries of their own problems. The ending is spectacularly uplifting, and intense. Tokyo Godfathers is funny film too. The comedy is fabulous, it had me rolling. I suggest this to everyone.

Saw The Fury. I've gotta contemplate the film a bit before really forming an opinion about it. Superficialy, I liked Douglas and Cassevettes, Gillian's vision on the stairs (one of the most visually entrancing scenes I've seen) and the brilliant score. As for the rest, I need to let it sink in.

The Fury has never been a really good film, Morlock. But the slow motion scene with car accident and Williams music is brilliant.

----------------

Alex Cremers

slow motion scene with car accident and Williams music is brilliant.

Wasnt this discused in the Attack on the Car from WOTW thread?

Wasnt it described as MTV fodder? ;)

I didn't read that particular thread (I have not seen WOTW yet) but the scene I'm referring to in The Fury has very little to do with MTV. In fact, MTV wasn't even born then. Because of Williams music, this scene has a surreal, dreamlike quality. Please, take your "sigh" smiley elsewhere.

----------------

Alex Cremers

This is such a wonderful anime film

you lost me at anime.

Joe, who cannot stand anime or manga.

Minority Report.

Oh, gorsh, I simply love this film. Even more than War of the Worlds, so I think it's my favorite movie of the 21st Century. The color pallate is brilliant, the script great, the acting impecable, the camera work engaging, I just love it! One of Spielberg's best films, it never fails to amaze me the way the mystery pans out. Simply brilliant. There's so much foreshadowing, and the music is absolutely wonderful; I love the PreCrime motif, it's used very well in the film. The progression and pacing is wonderful and the Anne Lively sub-plot is great. I love it all!

~Sturgis

Minority Report.

Oh, gorsh, I simply love this film.  Even more than War of the Worlds, so I think it's my favorite movie of the 21st Century.  The color pallate is brilliant, the script great, the acting impecable, the camera work engaging, I just love it!  One of Spielberg's best films, it never fails to amaze me the way the mystery pans out.  Simply brilliant.  There's so much foreshadowing, and the music is absolutely wonderful; I love the PreCrime motif, it's used very well in the film.  The progression and pacing is wonderful and the Anne Lively sub-plot is great.  I love it all!

~Sturgis

I can't think of one thing that I disagree with in this post.

Justin

Minority Report.

Oh, gorsh, I simply love this film.  Even more than War of the Worlds, so I think it's my favorite movie of the 21st Century.  The color pallate is brilliant, the script great, the acting impecable, the camera work engaging, I just love it!  One of Spielberg's best films, it never fails to amaze me the way the mystery pans out.  Simply brilliant.  There's so much foreshadowing, and the music is absolutely wonderful; I love the PreCrime motif, it's used very well in the film.  The progression and pacing is wonderful and the Anne Lively sub-plot is great.  I love it all!

~Sturgis

I can't think of one thing that I disagree with in this post.

Justin

Your name isn't "Sturgis".

Neil

The Fury has never been a really good film, Morlock. But the slow motion scene with car accident and Williams music is brilliant.

Yeah, upon contemplation, I've gotta agree with you. It's not a great movie, nor a very good one. I think the main reason for this is that at any given moment I didn't give a rat's ass about Robin, and thought Douglas was just a damned fool for looking for him. I think Childress was too vague in his villainy. And that climax is by far the least exciting DePalma finale I've seen. Oh, well. You can't win 'em all. At least the score was great (though I was expecting more from it. It's such a powerful experience in the CD, I thought it would be overpoweing in the movie).

I saw Fantasic Four today.

good movie.

Really?

Only 'Caddyshack' for me in the last two weeks. Murray and Chase have a field day, but the german dub is so silly, you don't know if you should LOL or turn the sound off in disgust.

There are, however, some Chase/Murray jokes made even raunchier by the synchro and in the right mood 8O , it can be fun, sort of.

Fantastic Four.

It was okay, not much to say about it, pretty good, but the end was kind of a rip on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

~Sturgis

War Of The Worlds. Terrible! The effects were good but that's it. No heart, no soul. I'm severely losing faith in Spielberg.

----------------

Alex Cremers

War Of The Worlds. Terrible! The effects were good but that's it. No heart, no soul. I'm severely losing faith in Spielberg.

Yeah, well, consistantly being wrong and missing the point has worked for you so far, hasn't it? Why quit now? you've become so good at it!

I saw Under Fire. The first half mostly failed to draw me in, but I found the second half of the movie surprisingly effective. Fantasticly performed, this movie had a lot more intelligence in it than I expected. And that score. One of Jerry's most supportive scores, it really works wonders for the movie. Gives it a sense of authenticity (even though of course it's geografically inaccurate).

Yeah, well, consistantly being wrong and missing the point has worked for you so far, hasn't it? Why quit now? you've become so good at it!

I don't understand what you are trying to say, Morlock. I never miss the point (except for now). Are you saying I missed the genius of War Of The Worlds? :P Poor, poor, Morlock. Go eat your steak!

Are you saying I missed the genius of War Of The Worlds?  

It's genius, no. It's very evident and very noteworthy qualities, apparantly yes.

Poor, poor, Morlock. Go eat your steak!

I actually had Chinese tonight. And it was very good. But don't worry, I'll have steak tomorrow again, if only not to dissapoint you.

There were no qualities outside the effects. It's probably Spielberg's worst. 3/10

.....and there you go again, right on cue! is this guy something, or is this guy something?

It was an alien invasion movie. If you think this didn't succeed at all in this respect, then we must have a very different idea of what the genre is made up of. You simply have an incapacity to like a summer movie. RoTS and Batman Begins were just flukes, the former you liked because of it's context and the latter isn't really a summer movie.

There was so much heart and soul evident in the making of this film, you just aren't willing to see it. You apparantly are even closed to the prospect of this being a big entertaining SFX extravaganza, but I guess that already rules out anything the least bit good in it.

You are one narrow minded film going individual. Every time I think you've finally gotten off you high horse and started watching films for what they are, you go and pull something like this, and senselessly bash a fine film, ignoring anything that might be good and going straight for the jugular.

That venting aside, would you care to regale us as to why this movie was so terrible as to earn a spot on the hall of shame, next to such classics as Always and The Lost World (I guess in your book that would be Amistad and.....well, something else)? It's supposed qualited are detailed, opined, and discussed here.

Don't forget, Morlock, we're supposed to trust him. He thinks like a reviewer; he knows far more about films than any of the rest of us.

Alex, quit playing the devil's advocate and try listening to what others have to say. Oh, and please reply to this with some silly remark trying to make me feel inferior. Maybe call me "Sturgie" again. Or somehow work the Potter films into this.

~Sturgis

Don't forget, Morlock, we're supposed to trust him.  He thinks like a reviewer; he knows far more about films than any of the rest of us.

Alex, quit playing the devil's advocate and try listening to what others have to say.  Oh, and please reply to this with some silly remark trying to make me feel inferior.  Maybe call me "Sturgie" again.  Or somehow work the Potter films into this.

Excuse me? Quit? Who are you to say I can't comment on a movie?! And stop whining! If I called you Sturgie, you probably deserved it for taking everything so personal. I can see from the tone in your post that you take it VERY personal. Do you think that you are Potter perhaps? Or are you that little girl in WOTW? I'm only talking about movies. If you had seen more movies in your life, you could have thumbed down the ones I like. And please, I don't drag the Potter films into everything, only when I feel things should be put in perspective.

----------------

Alex Cremers

There were no qualities outside the effects. It's probably Spielberg's worst. 3/10

.....and there you go again, right on cue! is this guy something, or is this guy something?

You are one narrow minded film going individual.

Every time I think you've finally gotten off you high horse and started watching films for what they are, you go and pull something like this, and senselessly bash a fine film, ignoring anything that might be good and going straight for the jugular.

I was talking about the movie, not about you. Why are you so aggravated? Are you Spielberg?

Don't worry, i'm wondering too why people become so enarmored with a seriously flawed movie like this. And i didn't met one of my age group who liked it, either. In Germany, that is.

Some really well made sequences do not amount to good filmmaking. It's too derivative of other films and all these little shocks people apparently found scary i've seen in countless genre films before.

The second half really wasn't up to the potential of the first half hour.