What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

The score is fantastic there (as it in the rest of the movie, of course), how you have the light version of Double Trouble, which explodes into some of the most bombatic brass of JW's career, which makes way for that beautiful soaring theme, which is perhaps less melodious, but no less magical than any of JW's flying temes.  

Double Trouble and bombastic brass in Buckbeak's Flight? Am I misunderstanding you?

Ray Barnsbury

I think he's using a literary device to comment how quickly the score changes moods. Either that, or he's talking about the end credits.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edward Scissorhands

Brilliant, although the end drags just a little bit. I want to see Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory now. :)

Ironically, I just bought the DVD for Scissorhands. But I also bought Phantom of the Opera (2004). I liked it more this time around, than on the theater. I think a lot of people were disappointed in December because they expected to see a lush version of the stage musical. Well, the movie is a whole different animal, it's more Romantic, and less classical in its style and its goals. It will take a lot of time for this movie to be properly valued - although that doesn't make it excellent or even above "good".

Edward Scissorhands

Brilliant, although the end drags just a little bit. I want to see Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory now. :)

Brilliant is such a big word. I'm with Ebert on this one, although I must confess, the first time I saw Edward Scissorhands I thought is was very good indeed. But a year later, during the second viewing, I wondered what it was that I liked so much about it. The pearl that once shined so bright, now became dull and lustreless. Behind the glitter there lies not much of value, as is the case with many a Burton film. Brilliant is such a big word.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Double Trouble and bombastic brass in Buckbeak's Flight?  Am I misunderstanding you?

Ray Barnsbury

I was confused. I meant, of course, bombastic percussion, not brass. And Double Trouble plays right before the actual flight, as Harry's approaching Buckbeak.

Edward Scissorhands

I was expecting something beautiful and poetic when I saw the film (based on the soundtrack), but I was bitterly dissapointed when seeing the movie. There's very little in it that worked for me.

....I also bought Phantom of the Opera (2004). I liked it more this time around, than on the theater. I think a lot of people were disappointed in December because they expected to see a lush version of the stage musical. Well, the movie is a whole different animal, it's more Romantic, and less classical in its style and its goals. It will take a lot of time for this movie to be properly valued - although that doesn't make it excellent or even above "good".

I stand by my original review of the film. Not a bad film at all, but hampered by some of the worst cinematography in history.

Alone in the Dark,

absolutely brilliant homage to Alien, Aliens, Starship Troopers, the Matrix, and the Tingler.

oh my God what a waste of 96 minutes of my life

Verhoeven's THE FOURTH MAN. What a hoot! Thank God for Dutch cinema. It's really in a world of its own.

Hitch, who likes Verhoeven's imitations of his directing style.

Finding Nemo.

Finally.

You actually found him. Delighted dear boy! I had dinner with Captain Nemo last nite. Wonderful fellow. And not as tall as you think.

28 Days was very powerful, I'll definitely be watching it again.

Yes, it was.

Saw Howl's Moving Castle. A stunningly beautiful motion picture, with quite a lot of heart. But....it failed to draw me in. I was not enamored by the story or the characters as I was with Spirited Away. Still, as good looking an animated movie as ever's been created, and it's fascinating to see Miyazaki try out his amazing talents in a non-Oriental setting. Score was excellent at times, but was distracting at other times. And the song at the end was particulaly distracting.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Not as funny as I'd hoped and expected, but still a great laugh. Make sure you stay during the end credits (of course this is mandatory for all films).

And bring 3D-glasses (the one with red and blue).

What Women Want. Surprisingly, the movie manages to stay funny throughout, despite the fact that you might think it's basic gimmicky idea can only yield a certain amount of comic situations. This movie is a credit to the skill of Mel Gibson, who never seems to feel quite at home unless he's doing comedy. He's fantastic in the movie. A harmless but consistantly entertaining light-weight comedy.

Saw the restored Touch of Evil, Orson Welles' 1958 classic. Never seen it before. A most striking motion picture, it's amazing how totaly uninhibited Welles is technically. The film looks as if it could've been from last year. The camera is so free, there are so many complicated shots, amazing cuts, striking sounds.....it's a dazzling experience. You barely notice the story. I found myself often thinking how this guy who's playing such a crass, unlikable, snob, made such a complicated and innovative motion picture, which I think says something about Welles' acting. The score is supremely effetive, often to a chilling extent.

Also saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I've been through ups and downs regarding my expectation level of this film, as I'm not a fan of the story, but I love everyone involved in the making of the film. And sure enough- I loved the style, acting, design, cinematography and music in the picture, but the overall piece didn't leave much of an impact.

It looks phenominal, Burton really back in his late 80's/early 90's element (the good part of it). It gets the right tone, really convinces you of the validity of the movie. Alex McDowell seems hell bent on getting his production design Oscar, and he really seems to have worked overtime on this one. Everything looks very intricately and specificaly designed. Hopefully he'll get acknowledged, after not even being nominated last year for The Terminal.

I thought the movie was very well cast and acted. A lot of people had problems with Depp, but I think they came in with too many expectations about how he would do it. I've never seen a character like his Wonka before, likable in his creepiness. The kid was great, no overacting, just plaing Charlie as starry eyed, entirely likable kid. I love David Kelly wherever he is, and he was charming as usual as the grandfather. Noah Tyler and Christopher Lee give their characters immidiate weight and presence despite the short screen time, though Lee could've used better dialogue.

I thought the songs were unnecassery, but I liked each successive song more and more.

I loved the score, I can never get enough of Elfman in Burton mode, it's just a voice that he never uses anywhere else. The main titles are a great set up for the movie (though not just the music- the look of it was fantastic too).

A very skillfully made movie, but ultimately, I don't feel it has enough good substance in it. I reccommend it as very well made eye candy, but I suspecty that Dahl fans will like it rather more.

tonight I plan on watching Assault on Precienct 13, the Carpenter version.

tonight I plan on watching Assault on Precienct 13, the Carpenter version.

Saw it not too long ago. It's amazingly dated but don't let that stop you!

I'm sure I will enjoy it no matter what Alex, as I recall its a terrific b film.

I love its start brutality, the little girl being shot at the ice cream truck is classic.

I'm sure I will enjoy it no matter what Alex, as I recall its a terrific b film.

I love its start brutality, the little girl being shot at the ice cream truck is classic.

True. Great scene.

Constantine

Crappy script, placed in the hands of a talented Director. The direction was great. This is my kind of direction, it was the only thing that kept me watching. Other than that, it's not worth the money i payed to rent it. Nothing happens for at least an hour in the film, and when it does happen it's so boring. Also the action sequences were so dissapointing, almost as if they set us up to be let down. When John Constantine was in Hell being chased by soldier demons i expected a great action sequence, but he just jumped and smashed holy water on this chest. WOW! So amazing :roll: The same goes for the fight scene with him and the other demon.

The Thing

Loved it! Loved it! Such a great film, it scares you without the usual Hollywood crap. And the music is so alien and dark. I also loved the special effects. We really need to go to the days when they actualy shot some creature actualy shooting out of a guy's head instead of CG. It makes the scene more real. And the gore factor was great. Loved the ending aswell.

The Missing

The first half hour was interesting, great direction but after that i kept watching just to finish it not because i was entertained.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Only because my cousins wanted to see it.

The dementors are so bad in this movie. The book honestly scared more than these things. I always thought that Cuaron screwed up with them especialy. I personaly would have kept their on screen defeats to one-when harry uses the Patronus in his sessions with Lupin-i would have also stressed the point that it wasn't a real dementor. Doing so the final scene between Harry and the dementors is much more intense, because you have never ever seen them really being defeated. The head, yes that head, the only thing i like about it now is that it's Jamaican.

Constantine

Crappy script, placed in the hands of a talented Director. The direction was great. This is my kind of direction, it was the only thing that kept me watching.

Also the action sequences were so dissapointing, almost as if they set us up to be let down. When John Constantine was in Hell being chased by soldier demons i expected a great action sequence, but he just jumped and smashed holy water on this chest. WOW! So amazing :roll: The same goes for the fight scene with him and the other demon.

Isn't this a gross contradiction?

No. No. I like the way both those sequences were filmed it's just that nothing happened was my only problem.

I've seen a lot of times before (been a while though) it but haven't watched it and I just FINALLY bought Hunt For Red October on DVD. I know a little late on that one...but hey...

I had been wondering when you'd get around to doing that Vosk!

I still need to get that film, but I can't find the good SE anywhere.

Steef, great sig. Sad to hear the news this morning (bit late, but still).

- Marc

Marc,

I bought my copy at Wal-Mart for $7.50. It's the widescreen special edition version. When I saw the price I was all, "Hell yes, I'm buying it!" lol...

I keep seeing it pop up at a good price, but I'm looking for the one with the cardboard slipcover over the Amaray case. Or are the contents just the same?

I still need to get that film, but I can't find the good SE anywhere.

It's great. Don't get the old release, I remember reading it's got bad video quality...or was it bad sound? One of the two at least, which is why I never got the old one. Go for the SE. :P

Marian - who ordered his cheap, from Canada.

Herbie: Fully Loaded. Ok, I was invited to go to this. Wouldn't have picked it myself. As it is.....meh, cute. :P

Nixon. This is the slowest longest unending film I've ever seen. Holy crap. I thought the film dealt with the Watergate break-in. I was really looking forward to some well used Williams score and tense conspiratorial sequences. As it is, there is much talking and little doing. Disapointed.

Black Hawk Down. Now this is more like it. This is probably the most engaging war film I've ever seen. It sucks you in and you care about each soldier getting home. I also really like Zimmer score. It's ever present rumbling around on the lower registers when the enemy is present and becoming more tonal and thematic when the American soldiers do their stuff. Overall, I thought this was an incredible experience. I'll definatly be looking around to pick this DVD up.

Justin

The Missing

The first half hour was interesting, great direction but after that i kept watching just to finish it not because i was entertained.

Bad, pointless, boring movie.

The head, yes that head, the only thing i like about it now is that it's Jamaican.

The worst inclusion in the movie, IMO.

Nixon. This is the slowest longest unending film I've ever seen. Holy crap. I thought the film dealt with the Watergate break-in. I was really looking forward to some well used Williams score and tense conspiratorial sequences. As it is, there is much talking and little doing. Disapointed.

I disagree, I thought it was a real thought provoking film. And the score had a few outstanding moments in the film (The Miami Convention especialy).

Black Hawk Down. Now this is more like it. This is probably the most engaging war film I've ever seen. It sucks you in and you care about each soldier getting home. I also really like Zimmer score. It's ever present rumbling around on the lower registers when the enemy is present and becoming more tonal and thematic when the American soldiers do their stuff. Overall, I thought this was an incredible experience. I'll definatly be looking around to pick this DVD up.

You should get the 3 DVD SE. It's an excellent set. It is indeed an engaging and powerful film, and Zimmer did a great job with the score (I love egging on Dan Hobgood with this).

One of the things I really wanted on the soundtrack was the trumpet rendition of Leave No Man Behind but alas, not there.

The Missing  

Bad, pointless, boring movie.  

The supernatural element was rather hokum. One of those virulent films, who have nothing to tell, but treat every movement of story like the second coming. You could really think you saw an important movie after all those melodramatic tricks played on you.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...sadly, not as great as I was expecting. It was enjoyable throughout, but seemed suprisingly purposeless. I don't really know why, but I was expecting more depth overall, maybe some more development with the various kid characters so that they came out of their assigned "roles" a little. But Depp was weirdly cool, and the score is classic (or stereotypical, depending on your point of view) Elfman.

Ray Barnsbury

Just got back from seeing The Island. Well someone has to help it make it's production budget back! It's actually pretty good. I am in no way a Michael Bay fan, but this film soured way above his usual bland fare. The story was very effective and harked back to a more old-fashioned '50s style of storytelling, with some modern action set-pieces thrown in for good measure. In fact the only two parts of the film I didn't like were parts of the action sequences. The miraculous survival after falling off the side of the skyscraper about halfway through was just plain silly. Also, Ewen McGreggor's character seemed particularly fit and sprightly at the films close, in spite of having been impaled on a grapple-hook harpoon just minutes earlier! Aside from those blunders I would recommend this film to anyone who wishes they would make sci-fi films "the way they used to".

My summer movies so far (in order of enjoyment)

1: War of the Worlds (95% excellent with annoying final "reunion" scene)

2: Revenge of the Sith (90% a lot of fun. Terrible acting...)

3: The Island (85% good old fashioned sci-fi)

4: Millions (85% nice feel-good movie. The kid is so cute!)

5: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (85% Great fun. Weird, but great fun.)

6: Fantastic Four (75% Popcorn movie. And why not)

7: Batman Begins (70% Too dull and serious. Where's the "gothic" Gotham?)

Looking forward to:

1: The Brothers Grimm (New Gilliam!!!)

2: Wallace and Gromit

The Man Who Wasn't There. Roger Deakins truly is one of THE cinematographers out there. This film looks gorgeous. But the film itself did not make that much impression on me: 7/10

I saw one of the most powerful and most imporaant films I've ever seen today- Paul Haggis' Crash. Wow. What a great movie. It is an amazing look as Racism and anger, perfectly acted, fantastically well written, directed, and edited. I have some minor quibbles with the film, but I think every grown human being should see this movie. This goes on my all time list.

9.75/10

The Man Who Wasn't There. Roger Deakins truly is one of THE cinematographers out there. This film looks gorgeous.

Undeniably true (as I said in the night cinematography thread).

But the film itself did not make that much impression on me: 7/10

Didn't make a strong impression on me the first time, but the second viewing stuck with me.

I've been watching the extra's on my Terminator DVD. Who knew how poor Cameron was before this movie, he'd use a coupon to buy two Big Mac's, and eat one on one day and the other on the next.