What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 15:

65. Office Space (1999)

Still a very funny film. It slows down a bit once it gets to introducing some sort of plot, though. The best parts are the constant jokes about the office life, and the scam plot gets in the way of that a bit. I think the filmmakers realized that, though, as it doesn't even take up that much of the film's total running time, and isn't even passed off as anything intelligent ("they did it in Superman III," one of the characters explains).

The first hour especially is hilarious, though, with one office joke after the other. And it's wonderfully quotable. Hmmmyeah.

Never heard of it.

Saw Layer Cake again. If you haven't seen it, think Snatch with more story, very little humor, and good characters. I think it is a fine entry in the genre. Craig is good, Colm Meany and Kenneth Carnham are fun. The story is not particularly interesting, but it does have it's stronger points.

On the surface, it sounds like a pretty dull film, but I hate a great time both times I watched it.

***/****.

Solaris (1972). This gets better with each viewing. A difficult and slow film but the rewards (the aftertaste) in the days that follow are really gratifying. The imagery is so powerful. One of the deepest SF films ever made but you have to make an effort. A film for cinephiles.

BTW, I'm not a fan of the remake.

Alex

The new one is not a remake, really. Just as The Passion of the Christ not a remake to Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew ;) It's just another take on the novel.

Karol, who wasn't bored by Soderbergh's version at all.

Never heard of it.

Saw Layer Cake again. If you haven't seen it, think Snatch with more story, very little humor, and good characters. I think it is a fine entry in the genre. Craig is good, Colm Meany and Kenneth Carnham are fun. The story is not particularly interesting, but it does have it's stronger points.

On the surface, it sounds like a pretty dull film, but I hate a great time both times I watched it.

***/****.

Pretty much my thoughts when I saw it. Story lost me about halfway through but I liked it overall. It's disheartening to hear that they're making a sequel apparently.

The new one is not a remake, really. Just as The Passion of the Christ not a remake to Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew ;) It's just another take on the novel.

Every director will claim that his film is a "different take". A remake doesn't necessarily mean that it has to copy its predecessor frame by frame. When a film already exist, it's called a remake, unless it's a totally different theme and story (which is not the case here).

For Morlock:

OverThere_S1.jpg

Alex

I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a terrible project that could not possibly be good. And Steven Bochco does little for me.

Morlock- who might rather a Joss Whedon version

The series Over There is generally been reviewed as being great. I thought it was good but not great. Why does it sound like a bad project to you? I don't get it.

A project about the Iraq sounds like it would either be a big, steaming pile of patriotic BS, or one big "Why are we here?" statement. Neither of which is the least bit interesting to me. I just dont' see how it could possibly be worth watching.

A project about the Iraq sounds like it would either be a big, steaming pile of patriotic BS, or one big "Why are we here?" statement.

Ah, I see. Well, it's neither. It's about people who happen to be soldiers. You really thought I was interested in patriotism? How funny.

Well, seeing as it's Bochco, more likely it would be a Jarhead like piece (A 'Why are we here" piece).

But putting that aside...what makes it good? I have little interest in seeing the human stories of a war that I have little interest in.

Well, seeing as it's Bochco, more likely it would be a Jarhead like piece (A 'Why are we here" piece).

No, like I said, it's neither patriotism nor "Why are we here" TV. The series made that very clear within the first 15 minutes of the first episode.

But putting that aside...what makes it good? I have little interest in seeing the human stories of a war that I have little interest in.

The human stories and the sometimes good dialog. I don't care what war plays in the background. In fact, I don't care for any in particular but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Apocalypse Now or The Deer Hunter or Saving Private Ryan. I don't care for boxing as a sport but I do like Rocky. If I watch a series I watch it for the characters and the things they bump into.

Alex

I'm watching SuperMan 2 for the first time right now...I'm only into the main titles. Wow...the score is a mess already...I'm scared to hear the rest of it!

I...wait....what? Save for one small section and the addition of more chorus, the main titles are exactly the same.

The human stories and the sometimes good dialog. I don't care what war plays in the background. In fact, I don't care for any in particular but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Apocalypse Now or The Deer Hunter or Saving Private Ryan. I don't care for boxing as a sport but I do like Rocky. If I watch a series I watch it for the characters and the things they bump into.

I am generally disinterested in what war is going on in the background. But this is one case in which I am actively uninterested.

I'm watching SuperMan 2 for the first time right now...I'm only into the main titles. Wow...the score is a mess already...I'm scared to hear the rest of it!

I...wait....what? Save for one small section and the addition of more chorus, the main titles are exactly the same.

Chorus? ;)

the 300, style over substance. Another of those soulless films, like Sky Captain, that are beautifully shot, but once you've seen it, its like ok, one and done.

Solyaris (by Tarkovsky) is great, but not as consistently good and coherent as 2001, in my opinion - or rather, in my viewing experience. It also drags 'somewhat' in the beginning (this coming from someone who likes slow and good build-ups and development); but really picks up at the library scene. But it's hard to compare both films, although I see where the comparison comes from: the structure of meaning (their systems of signification; the way they incorporate meaning) is the same. But they have their own strengths and both are classics of sf cinema.

Solyaris (by Tarkovsky) is great, but not as consistently good and coherent as 2001, in my opinion - or rather, in my viewing experience. It also drags 'somewhat' in the beginning (this coming from someone who likes slow and good build-ups and development); but really picks up at the library scene.

It's actually more coherent than 2001 which, as everyone knows, suffers from 3 totally different acts. Many people like only one act (The trip to Jupiter).

But it's hard to compare both films, although I see where the comparison comes from: the structure of meaning (their systems of signification; the way they incorporate meaning) is the same.

What the heck do you mean? ;)

Alex

I'm surprised you even bothered to go see that movie, Joe.

I didn't Marc, I downloaded it.

Solyaris (by Tarkovsky) is great, but not as consistently good and coherent as 2001, in my opinion - or rather, in my viewing experience. It also drags 'somewhat' in the beginning (this coming from someone who likes slow and good build-ups and development); but really picks up at the library scene.

It's actually more coherent than 2001 which, as everyone knows, suffers from 3 totally different acts. Many people like only one act (The trip to Jupiter).

But it's hard to compare both films, although I see where the comparison comes from: the structure of meaning (their systems of signification; the way they incorporate meaning) is the same.

What the heck do you mean? ;)

Alex

Well I don't see why 2001 would "suffer" from its three acts... It's just its structure? The film needs its three acts no?

I mean the way meaning is conveyed and constructed is the same in the two films. Cp. for example with straightforward narrative cinema.

I see. Still surprised at that, though. Unless you saw it because of all the man-nipples...

the 300, style over substance. Another of those soulless films, like Sky Captain, that are beautifully shot, but once you've seen it, its like ok, one and done.

I went to music store the other day and gave 300 a listen. Or better yet - I TRIED to give it a listen, because I turned it off after 4 minuts. The Goldenthal Titus rip-off is pretty offensive and the whole score feels like everything from last ten years mixed together in a pretty unexciting fashion. I believe it is worthy of its film. Ah, well...

Karol

Week 15:

65. Office Space (1999)

Still a very funny film. It slows down a bit once it gets to introducing some sort of plot, though. The best parts are the constant jokes about the office life, and the scam plot gets in the way of that a bit. I think the filmmakers realized that, though, as it doesn't even take up that much of the film's total running time, and isn't even passed off as anything intelligent ("they did it in Superman III," one of the characters explains).

The first hour especially is hilarious, though, with one office joke after the other. And it's wonderfully quotable. Hmmmyeah.

That is, honest to God, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I sense elitism in this thread.

Chorus? ;)

Choir is more pronounced

Saw The Usual Suspects again after a while. Last time I saw it, I thought the film might have been irreperably harmed by too many viewings...but all I needed was time. I loved all over again. It is true that, plot-wise, the film comes down to the ending...but what an ending! No matter how many times I watch it always get spine chills by how great it is, with the lines used, the visuals, the editing, the excellent score....I just love it. And, obviousley, it negates at least part of the story we've seen, and could conceivably negate most of it. It still surprises me, that with knowing the ending, and how a lot of what we're seeing does not amount to much, it is still terrificaly watchable and engaging throughout. This could have been a cheep B-movie trying to be a 70's thriller. But the writing, directing, acting, cinematography, editing and score elevate it beyond the trappings the film should have had.

Ottman's score it terrific. Very derivative (As Ottman very willingly concedes), but it adds a class and an elegance....most films like this would be synthpad. But the main titles (owing a lot in mood to Basic Instinct, which is prevalent throughout the score) are so elegant, so alluring....and there are several standout cues. I personally love the 'Conspirators' knock-off, and the cue for the finale is just sublime.

I just love this movie.

Saw The Usual Suspects again after a while. Last time I saw it, I thought the film might have been irreperably harmed by too many viewings...but all I needed was time. I loved all over again. It is true that, plot-wise, the film comes down to the ending...but what an ending! No matter how many times I watch it always get spine chills by how great it is, with the lines used, the visuals, the editing, the excellent score....I just love it. And, obviousley, it negates at least part of the story we've seen, and could conceivably negate most of it. It still surprises me, that with knowing the ending, and how a lot of what we're seeing does not amount to much, it is still terrificaly watchable and engaging throughout. This could have been a cheep B-movie trying to be a 70's thriller. But the writing, directing, acting, cinematography, editing and score elevate it beyond the trappings the film should have had.

Ottman's score it terrific. Very derivative (As Ottman very willingly concedes), but it adds a class and an elegance....most films like this would be synthpad. But the main titles (owing a lot in mood to Basic Instinct, which is prevalent throughout the score) are so elegant, so alluring....and there are several standout cues. I personally love the 'Conspirators' knock-off, and the cue for the finale is just sublime.

I just love this movie.

The Usual Suspects is very good, and Kevin Spacey gives a knock-out performance.

*SPOILERS*

But I'm really not sure whether I absolutely love or absolutely hate the ending. In one sense, it's perfectly executed (particularly in the editing, as you said)... but it does negate most of the rest of the film, and a part of me feels a little bit cheated. I never really liked that sort of twist. The whole film completely shifts gears at the end. Before the last 10 minutes or so, it's a superbly written and acted thriller. I really care about all the characters. Then the ending comes along, and throws that all away, completely getting rid of all the characters that the film spent so long building up. I have the same problem with that last 5-10 minutes as I do with a "whodunnit" story - the rest of the film doesn't mean anything, all that matters is the ending. Or perhaps a better example would be a "it was all a dream"-type ending. I hate those. No matter how well done the rest of the film was (and in this case it was very well-done), in a sense it all feels like a waste of time.

I need to watch it again, see if it makes more sense. I may well have missed something.

I see. Still surprised at that, though. Unless you saw it because of all the man-nipples...

no, my buddy David liked the movie a lot, and it thought we'd watch it at the house this weekend. the nakedness in the film was not a turnon, as im not attracted to the unreal body types.

It had some good qualities, and parts I like more than others. All in all Im giving my copy away.

In general, I agree with your points. This one film is the exception in my book.

The Usual Suspects is probably in my top ten favorite list. It does rely heavily on the ending, but it would have been a fantastic film without it.

The X-Files: Fight the Future.

I've always loved this movie and the series. More questions end up being asked than answered. The government working with aliens. A big honkin' spaceship at the end. The two leads always edging towards admitting their feelings for one another only to be stopped by a bee sting this time round. Mulder's mouthful speeches about alien abductions, voodoo priests, ghosts, ghouls, goblins, and circus freaks all being related somehow followed by the expected moans and groans from the ever so smokin' hot Scully.

Yep, this movie is awesome. I can't wait for The X-Files II: The Wrath of Morley Cigarettes.

Serenity. It doesn't seem so bad in a retrospect, but I did not enjoy myself as I was watching it. The humor was predictable. The effects were not very good. I didn't care about any of the character, although I was kind of interested in Adam 'Not of the Baldwin Brothers' Baldwin, andthe guy who played the wrong Ryan in SPR. Oh, and Steve The Pirate. The girl and everything around her was terribley uninteresting. Her brother was horrible. Chiwetel Ejiofor was okay....the end with him was a bit interesting.

David Newman's score was fine, I did like the Irish-flavoured theme.

Too whimsical for me. I'm sure Firefly Fans love it. **/****. I would like to give it another half star...but that was some bad story-telling.

Some people consider Serenity to be one of (if not the best) sci-fi films ever made. Those people are called fanboys.

If you want a space western, then watch Cowboy Bebop.