What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ocean's 13

Reviews were disconcerting but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot. Maybe a bit premature but I'd put it as good as the first one.

No Topher Grace cameo tho

You did feel the pay-off was a bity lacking?

Morlock- who enjoyed the film

I guess I was enjoying it too much for it to really matter

Looking back on it yeah I guess it was a little lacking but I still don't care

Week 23:

99. Serenity (2005)

Earlier this year, I decided to take the jump and blindly purchase both the complete season of Firefly, and this movie, which bids farewell to the universe and characters seen in the TV-show. The DVDs sat on my shelf for several months, and I finally got around to watching Firefly - spread out over a full two weeks - for the first time a short while ago. I really rather enjoyed it. It has a bit of a slow start, and there's a bunch of interesting possibilities in the show that unfortunately never got explored, but once it starts rolling it's highly enjoyable.

Now the film I liked even more. It ditches a few elements from the series, but is still a ton of fun, and it's three times as good if you've seen the show. The first 10 minutes quite clearly play into a fan audience's anticipation, and it works wonders. There is a small lag in the middle, and the hovercraft chase in the beginning might have taken up a bit too much time in the overall picture - the chase itself adds hardly anything to the story, and I was actually checking the time on my DVD player's display, wondering if they weren't taking up too much valuable time that could otherwise be used for story.

Either way, it's still a hell of a ride, and no punches are pulled when it comes to the climax. For a while I actually believed none of the main characters might make it through alive. And that alone, taking away that safe feeling of "they're the heroes and they'll pull through" and make you think they might all die before the credits start, is an achievement worth applauding.

I will be revisiting both the series and the movie more than once, I think.

100. Groundhog Day (1993)

Bill Murray is awesome. His performance adds so much to this film, but you hardly even notice it. He's perfect in the part, and there's some great funny bits in this film too. It's one of those movies you might stumble onto when channel surfing, and you'll just get stuck and have to watch it nearly all the way through. Certainly worth getting on DVD, though.

101. The Incredibles (2004)

Another movie I've watched for the second time this year (coincidentally, the other one was The Iron Giant, Brad Bird's previous film). I love how this animated film feels like an action/adventure epic. I love pretty much every frame of it. It's gorgeous-looking, well-animated, and a ton of fun. My favorite of Pixar's feature film output.

102. Crimson Tide (1995)

Disappointing. There's an awful lot of waffle about how important all of this is, but I hardly ever get a sense of it, other than these guys fighting over it. You also get very little feel for what it was like on board that submarine, something that seems so vitally important in submarine films. Luckily the film has two very charismatic leads, and several good character actors in the smaller parts (James Gandolfini, yay!), so it doesn't become a complete waste of time, but for a spectacular action thriller, it sure does have a few boring stretches.

Serenity, after a week of watching Firefly. I don't know which I'm more in shock over: the fact that such a fantastic series was axed or that it took me, a big Buffy/Angel fan, four years to get around to watching it.

The movie was great, but it became obvious at times that the original vision was far too big to have wrapped up in half a season and one feature film. I really, really enjoyed it though, and actually nearly cried towards the end... I'm a bit over-sensitive to films and TV (I actually did cry when I saw the Buffy episode The Body, seven years ago).

I'd have much, much preferred the series to keep going (or at least finish its first season). River's arc could have very easily (and very effectively) spread over the entire series without becoming a woman-empowered Buffy rehash... And there could have been countless episodes exploring Mal's past... Still, I'm glad the movie happened. Even if it did create a bit of a "final say" for most of the characters.

Really appreciated the solo guitar rendition of "The Ballad of Serenity" at the very end of the credits, too...

WHV Press Release: Deliverence 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (DVD,HD-DVD,BLU-RAY)

DELIVERANCE

35TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

Newly Remastered with Remarkable Extras

September 18 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif., June 11, 2007 -- Deliverance – one of the screen’s most powerful man vs. nature adventures that was a motion picture shocker of the ‘70s -- debuts September 18 as a 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition DVD from Warner Home Video (WHV).

The story of four Atlanta “weekend warriors” who set off in canoes down a dangerous Georgia river and discover a wilderness of terror has been remastered and amplified with remarkable new extras including retrospective featurettes and director commentary. The DVD will sell for $19.97 SRP. It will also be debuting simultaneously in both HD DVD and Blu-ray disc and will be available for $28.99 SRP.

Directed by John Boorman (Excalibur, Hope and Glory) and adapted by James Dickey from his novel, Deliverance was nominated for three Academy Awards® including Best Picture and Best Director. Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox star as the four friends whose canoeing weekend turns into a horrifying test of survival. Boorman’s taut direction builds the tension and fear to a raging climax, as the men travel way beyond their comfort zone and are forced to face more than they could have ever imagined. Vilmos Zsigmond’s expert cinematography captures the wilderness of forest and river, while Eric Weissberg’s classic musical theme, “Dueling Banjos,” provides a perfect counterpoint to the action.

Special Features

Commentary by John Boorman [Director Boorman takes a journey down the river and discusses the adventures, the team, the controversy and what it took to make Deliverance a classic film.]

Deliverance: The Beginning [Take a historical look at the novel and its adaptation to the screen.]

Deliverance: The Journey [along from the early stages of filming to the creation of classic moments, such as the Dueling Banjos scene.]

Deliverance: Betraying the River [The making of one of the most controversial and ground-breaking sequences in film history.]

Deliverance: Delivered [A reflective look back on the completion of the film, its impact and how the idea for the shocking ending came to be.]

The Dangerous World of Deliverance [The original behind-the-scenes documentary on the difficult conditions and challenges of making this film]

Theatrical Trailer

DELIVERANCE 35TH-ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED DELUXE EDITION

Street Date: September 18, 2007

SD $19.97 SRP; HD DVD/Blu-ray Disc $28.99 SRP

Run Time: 109 Minutes; Rated R

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

All The President's Men.

A personal favorite book turned into movie is always risky business, but you can't say this is a bad movie by any terms (except for that rushed ending). Gotta love the performances. Gotta love the intense 6-minute single shots. Gotta love Pakula's camera work. But the script I can't judge. I know the book by heart, so I'm gonna need a second viewing to see how well it works.

All The President's Men.

A personal favorite book turned into movie is always risky business, but you can't say this is a bad movie by any terms (except for that rushed ending). Gotta love the performances. Gotta love the intense 6-minute single shots. Gotta love Pakula's camera work. But the script I can't judge. I know the book by heart, so I'm gonna need a second viewing to see how well it works.

A superb film. One of my favorites. I like the fact that it has a docu feel instead of a dramatized one. Unlike with films like JFK, you don't feel too manipulated. BTW, Ender, the screenplay won an oscar. And then those marvelous performances! It's a classic. What do you mean, "How well it works"?

Alex

All The President's Men.

Never read the book, so I can't judge it as an adaptation. But I think the movie is excellent. Love just about all the performances- leads, contacts, and the editors (played by three of my favortie actors- Balsam, Warden and Robards). Camera work is great. I think the screenplay is quite impressive on it's own. It's amazing how such theoretically unthirlling and uncinematic material is made both thrilling and cinematic.

And Alex- it's funny, I just saw Delivarence for the first time yesterday. Not quite sure what to think.

And, to counter how disturbing that was, I also saw Support you local Sheriff, a comedy western from 1968 starring James Garner. While it does have rather poor production values (It looks very murky and unappealing, and has a terrible, overblown western score), it is quite amusing. Garner is basically doing Maverick, playing a guy who comes to a town that's plagued by gold propectors. He is hired as a sheriff and whips the town into order. Quite inane plot, but Garner is pretty charming, and it has an amusing tone. Some old western actors in it (Walter Brennan as the main bad guy), and Bruce Dern is quite amusing. It is fluffy entertainment, but it worked for me. ***/****.

Unlike with films like JFK, you don't feel too manipulated.

I think they're both effective in their very different ways (with very different goals). I am a big fan of both films.

And although he won an oscar, it must be said that Wiliam Goldman is not entirely satisfied with the filming of his screenplay, and calls the entire thing a painful experience.

And Alex- it's funny, I just saw Delivarence for the first time yesterday. Not quite sure what to think.

It's fantastically uncompromising. Unfortunatly you'll never see Hollywood making a film like this again, the political correctness police would just put a stop to it.

It's also fascinating watching a young Burt Reynolds, before he trew his credibility as an actor away with those stupid film he did with Hal Needham.

One of my absolute favorites of all time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not for you, Morlock (just as my whole top 10 is probably not for you). A timeless masterpiece that I somehow appreciated more the second and the third time around.

Alex

It's fantastically uncompromising. Unfortunatly you'll never see Hollywood making a film like this again, the political correctness police would just put a stop to it.

It's also fascinating watching a young Burt Reynolds, before he trew his credibility as an actor away with those stupid film he did with Hal Needham.

I wholeheartedly agree with Steef!

Alex

Alex I have not seen the film for a couple of years, but I seem to remember it had practically no score. Apart from the famous Duelling Banjo's cue and a cue underscoring the scene were John Voight (nearly) falls of a cliff. Is this correct?

Deliverance is one of those films that leaves a lasting impression on you. After you've seen it, there's no forgetting about it.

BTW, Ender, the screenplay won an oscar. And then those marvelous performances! It's a classic. What do you mean, "How well it works"?

I know the script is quite pretigious. But, as a journalist, I've read the original book a thousand times, and love it more each time. I'm too accostumed to its pace, structure, and narrative. You can see how this may prevent me from judging the script properly with only one viewing.

Especially since the last hundred pages are condensed in a minute towards the ending. That grabbed me by surprise.

BTW, I don't think anyone in their sane mind could argue about the quality of the performances. Beautiful.

One of my absolute favorites of all time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not for you, Morlock (just as my whole top 10 is probably not for you). A timeless masterpiece that I somehow appreciated more the second and the third time around.

I just don't know what to make of it yet. I've been thinking about it, and it hasn't come together yet. It seems to be a movie about experience. But I certainly didn't get it the first time around. It didn't come together for me as a whole. I need to let it sink in, and then watch it again.

And I'm sure I like some of your top ten. I'd be very curious to hear, actually.

Yes, it is uncompromising. But I still don't know what it's about. It hits you VERY viscerally, but I couldn't place the importance of the final few minutes (once they get back to the town).

Alex I have not seen the film for a couple of years, but I seem to remember it had practically no score. Apart from the famous Duelling Banjo's cue and a cue underscoring the scene were John Voight (nearly) falls of a cliff. Is this correct?

I recall a couple of other points with music....one a delibarate use of the 'Dueling Banjos', and one a more subdued version of it. I do know that when Voight fell, the music came as a shock.

I think there's more music. There's even a soundtrack. But like you, I also have that "scoreless" feeling.

41QV6BXR5EL._AA240_.jpg

Yes, it is uncompromising. But I still don't know what it's about. It hits you VERY viscerally, but I couldn't place the importance of the final few minutes (once they get back to the town).

Yes it does hit you, I don't think I've been hit harder by any other film apart from The Exorcist and Schindlers List. (Though The Exorcist at times made me recoil, while Deliverence just pulled me in)

I recall a couple of other points with music....one a delibarate use of the 'Dueling Banjos', and one a more subdued version of it. I do know that when Voight fell, the music came as a shock.

Yeah I had the same experience.

Damn, why is it so long ago that I have seen this film?

I think there's more music. There's even a soundtrack. But like you, I also have that "scoreless" feeling.

41QV6BXR5EL._AA240_.jpg

Definately a scoreless feel. I'm not sure it was wise to use music when Voight fell....it kind of took me out of his desparate climb and getting back down, to a more conventional, adventure-movie feel.

Yes it does hit you, I don't think I've been hit harder by any other film apart from The Exorcist and Schindlers List. (Though The Exorcist at times made me recoil, while Deliverence just pulled me in)

I've been hit 3-4 times like that. I actually thought that I could handle this film, naive as I was. I thought, all these years of build-up, knowing a lot about the film, seeing clips over the years, ect. would probably help make the film palatable. To it's credit, it was only more affecting because I thought I could handle it.

BTW, I don't think anyone in their sane mind could argue about the quality of the performances. Beautiful.

I like how Hoffman didn't "icon" himself in those days. These days the old super actors like Hoffman and Pacino all overstate their performances.

I'm not even sure you are old enough to have seen it. ;)

It did a number on me.

My favorite moment is John Voight's abrubt crying at a dinner table after they've gotten back into town.

I like how Hoffman didn't "iconed" himself in those days. These days the old super actors like Hoffman and Pacino all overstate their performances.

How do you mean "iconed"?

I like how Hoffman didn't "iconed" himself in those days. These days the old super actors like Hoffman and Pacino all overstate their performances.

How do you mean "iconed"?

I edited "iconed" into "icon". I'm sure it makes more sense now, especially in conjunction with the second sentence.

Pacino 'Huh-ha'ing. Hoffman playing the old, sage, semitic guy. (I assume that's what Alex is talking about). Performing, instead of acting.

While I enjoy those old-timer's current performances, you can't beat their 70's work. I mean, has Pacino ever been better than he was in Dog Day Afternoon?

Pacino 'Huh-ha'ing. Hoffman playing the old, sage, semitic guy. (I assume that's what Alex is talking about). Performing, instead of acting.

While I enjoy those old-timer's current performances, you can't beat their 70's work. I mean, has Pacino ever been better than he was in Dog Day Afternoon?

you got it, Morlock!

In Dog Day Afternoon, Pacino was Sunny whilst today Pacino always plays Pacino. It all started with Scent Of A Woman. His last good, real performance, in my book, is "Lefty" in Donnie Brasco. I know many others have the same problem as me with the "new" Pacino.

Morlock, concerning my top10, I really have to think about that for a while.

I liked his Shylock. But Donnie Brasco is, IMO, one of his best performance. Such a beautiful moment, when after putting his stuff in the drawer, he goes back and leaves the drawer a bit open. And, to his credit, I do think that at times he does manage to be the character as well as Pacino.

Sorry to go from such a revered film such as All The President's Men to such a belittled film such as...

Godzilla (1998)

Okay, it's not my beloved Big-G, and it certainly ain't great memorable cinema, or even great Kaiju cinema! What this film does have going for it though is terrific special effects by Centropolis and Sony Pictures Imageworks that still stacks up pretty well nine years later. Roland Emmerich tends to shoot his films quite beautifully, and the cinematography by Ueli Steiger is pretty slick and snazzy. The script is abysmal, however Matthew Broderick is pretty convincing as a nerdy worm guy, but I can't stand how he tends to end most of his sentences with a high pitch! I still don't know what all the fuss was about with Jean Reno being in this film and keeping his role as much a secret as the Godzilla creature design - embarassment, perhaps? I did get a kick out of all the New York jokes this time round after all that I've read about the great city, and with Rudy Giuliani as mayor at the time, Michael Lerner was pretty fun as the slimeball politician who the filmmakers seemed to be satirising as Giuliani-esque.

David Arnold's score was very good and even seems quite underrated even among Arnold fans - probably because it's been pretty much forgotten about because it never got a proper commercial release! Whatever shit was on that stickin' album sure ruined my day since I was quite a big Arnold fan at the time because I loved his scores from Stargate, Last of the Dogmen, Independence Day and Tomorrow Never Dies. Godzilla fans hated it, but it probably would have been received better if it had been given an original name or if they called it 30 Storey Iguana Loose in Manhattan!... or not!

** stars - the animated series that followed was actually a lot better!

Oh, and by the way... Maria Pitillo was hot! Where the frack has she been all this time!?

I liked his Shylock. But Donnie Brasco is, IMO, one of his best performances. Such a beautiful moment, when after putting his stuff in the drawer, he goes back and leaves the drawer a bit open.

That moment, even though it's something more of a filmic moment, is pure gold.

In The Merchant of Venice, most of the screaming was with reason. He didn't do much screaming in Ocean's 13. But, then again, I didn't think he was very interesting there.

That moment, even though it's something more of a filmic moment, is pure gold.

Yeah, I realized that as I was posting it. But it works so well as culmination to his affecting performance.

re: Godzilla- definitely one of the worst movies I've seen. Emmerich is a bad director, and Dean Devlin is delusional, but that was low even for them.

In III, Pacino is far more flamboyant and showy in his performance. While in The Godfather his almost minimal acting was a perfect counterpoint to Brando with his stuffed cheeks and funny accent and James Caan's volcanic performance as Sonny.

Yeah, but the first two were about him being a very subdued character, and then becoming less human, and finally a zombie. The third one was about him being human again, with him both being and trying to be Brando. So flamboyance is not out of place. I'm not saying it was the best course, but I think Pacino's performance was far, FAR from the worst thing about the film. Perhaps with a better screenplay, he might have had a more subtle and interesting charcter.

Oh I agree, and I like a lot about the performance, It felt like Michael had sort of grown into his role af Godfather.

There's also one scene that I loved.

When he meets Kay again for the first time in years and she confronts him with the murder of Fredo and his life of crime, Michael says, very unconvincingly that he spent his life protecting his family, like he's not only trying to convince Kay, but himself.

In The Godfather Vito Corleone says something similar:

I work my whole life - I don't apologize - to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize - that's my life -

But he's just statinbg it as it is a fact to both him and Michael.

I doubt if it was intentional, but those 2 lines demonstrate the difference between the Michael and Vito to me.

Well, here's a list of personal favorites. Remember, nothing is absolute and I'm certain I have forgotten a few titles. It's in random order.

A Clockwork Orange (mesmerizing sci-fi about violence by one of the best directors in his prime - I'm always amazed by Kurick's directorial control)

Blade Runner (A multi-layered sci-fi film that, when entered the right door, ceases to be a film and becomes an experience - the film is more visual than literal)

Deliverance (A multi-layered action film that puts others like it to shame - boy, what do I miss the action film for grownups)

Heimat (11 films of superior German epos)

The Wages Of Fear (French B&W film (Le Salaire De La Peur) about a few truckers transporting nitroglycerine - has to be seen to be believed - harder and thougher than any film today)

Midnight Cowboy (American society seen through European lenses- simply heartbreaking)

Das Boot (Seen it only once but what a "dive" it was)

Howard's End (Best Ivory film - the emotionally subdued Anthony Hopkins in contrast with the extravert Emma Thompson is priceless)

2001: A Space Odyssey (hypnotic experience, only the films of Tarkovsky can compete with it, unforgetable images - took me three times before I got into the right groove)

L.A. Confidential (extremely strong and confident narrative, probably the best L.A. Noir after Sunset Boulevard)

Prince Of The City (Sidney Lumet's most finest and darkest hour. It's been a while since I've seen it though)

Sunset Boulevard (Like I already said, the best L.A. Noir ever)

Miller's Crossing (the last time I seen it, it really made a big impression on me - I don't know why)

Rocky (gets to me every, every time)

La Gloire De Mon Père (a French film about the innocence of childhood)

Le Chateau De Ma Mère (part 2 and of La Gloire De Mon Père it is just as good)

Citizen Kane (I clicked with it BIG TIME the third time I watched it. In fact, it was so good that I don't dare to watch it again.)

Alien (a horror film that actually redefined the sci-fi genre)

Excalibur (another Boorman entry - hated it the first time but absolutely loved it the second time)

Solaris (complex Russian sci-fi film with unforgettable photography - the six-minute highway scene is fantastic)

Alex

You see? There are four film on the list that I've seen and don't love. 8 films I haven't seen, 6 of which I want to (Dying to see Prince of the City), the last two French ones I haven't heard of. I love (or at least really like) the rest. 6 I'd count among my favorites.

In The Merchant of Venice, most of the screaming was with reason.

There wasn't much screaming, really. I found it a surprisingly understated (and, of course, very good) performance.

One of my favourite Pacino performances is, naturally, Carlito.

Sorry to go from such a revered film such as All The President's Men to such a belittled film such as...

Godzilla (1998)

Okay, it's not my beloved Big-G, and it certainly ain't great memorable cinema, or even great Kaiju cinema! What this film does have going for it though is terrific special effects by Centropolis and Sony Pictures Imageworks that still stacks up pretty well nine years later. Roland Emmerich tends to shoot his films quite beautifully, and the cinematography by Ueli Steiger is pretty slick and snazzy. The script is abysmal, however Matthew Broderick is pretty convincing as a nerdy worm guy, but I can't stand how he tends to end most of his sentences with a high pitch! I still don't know what all the fuss was about with Jean Reno being in this film and keeping his role as much a secret as the Godzilla creature design - embarassment, perhaps? I did get a kick out of all the New York jokes this time round after all that I've read about the great city, and with Rudy Giuliani as mayor at the time, Michael Lerner was pretty fun as the slimeball politician who the filmmakers seemed to be satirising as Giuliani-esque.

David Arnold's score was very good and even seems quite underrated even among Arnold fans - probably because it's been pretty much forgotten about because it never got a proper commercial release! Whatever shit was on that stickin' album sure ruined my day since I was quite a big Arnold fan at the time because I loved his scores from Stargate, Last of the Dogmen, Independence Day and Tomorrow Never Dies. Godzilla fans hated it, but it probably would have been received better if it had been given an original name or if they called it 30 Storey Iguana Loose in Manhattan!... or not!

** stars - the animated series that followed was actually a lot better!

Oh, and by the way... Maria Pitillo was hot! Where the frack has she been all this time!?

Actually Michael Lerner's character was a satire of Roger Ebert.

Yes the character as well, plus he had an aide named Gene.

D & E admitted that they did it because of the review Siskel and Ebert gave for ID4.

D & E admitted that they did it because of the review Siskel and Ebert gave for ID4.

What petty-minded rebuke...but Shymalabla took this nonsense to new heights in 'Lady in the Water' where the critic isnt only *BEWARE:SPOILER* eaten by the film's obligatory monster, but also critically adressed by other characters in such a self-serving way that i really miss old dame Pauline Kael, who certainly woud have added some great acidic comments about such filmmaker sissies.