What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Wonderful! One of the few movies that everyone tells me I must see that actually paid off. It feels a bit long, and does drag every once in while, but still, great fun. Caine is perfect. Martin is good, is a bit too Jerk-ish. Glenne Headly is a bit annoying as the waifish mark...but her last scene makes her whole performance seem fantastic (that's the point, obviously).

A lot of great scenes, but, most importantly, a great ending. I was dreading the ending....until I caught on (only a few minutes before it was revealed, though), as to what was going to happen. Caine's reactin at the airport at the end is great, and then it goes that extra step to make the ending perfect.

Miles Goodman's score is very, very fun. Love the waltzy score, as well as some of more Ransy Newman-ish music.

A terrificaly entertaining film. I haven't liked many of Frank Oz's films, but this and Bowfinger are two of the most enjoyable comedies I've seen. ***1/2/****.

Oh, and it was fun seeing Iam McDiarmid, even in a small part. "Welcome to hell".

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I definitely like it - it's one of my favourite films, I've seen it (and commented on it) many times before. :) Along with Vertigo it's my favourite Hitchcock film.

I know Hitchcock considered it to be just an experiment (could he tell the story all from one point of view), but it's a stunningly successful and effective one.

Deadwood Season 3

A premature ending (mostly not their fault since they didn't know the series wouldn't get picked up again) doesn't change my opinion that it's the best show I've ever seen.

Ian McShane is the only person I can see playing the Comedian in Watchmen (although the rumored Thomas Jane isn't too bad either)

Deadwood Season 3

A premature ending (mostly not their fault since they didn't know the series wouldn't get picked up again) doesn't change my opinion that it's the best show I've ever seen.

Wow, I can't believe my eyes! I thought I was the only Deadwood fan around here! In fact, I'm watching the third season too! David Milch, the creator, stopped with the series because he felt it was time to do something else. Too bad, because it's certainly one of the best shows ever. The production design alone is unparalled. He did promise to round up the series with two TV movies.

Alex

I watched Rear Window yesterday.

I watched Notorious yesterday, on the big screen. Somewhat hair-raising premise, but that's only the MacGuffin story anyway. Very engaging movie, wonderful performances, some great scenes - considering Hitchcock didn't seem to know much about music, it's always surprising how much some of his sequences rely on it. Very good.

Oh, I definitely like it - it's one of my favourite films, I've seen it (and commented on it) many times before. :) Along with Vertigo it's my favourite Hitchcock film.

I know Hitchcock considered it to be just an experiment (could he tell the story all from one point of view), but it's a stunningly successful and effective one.

Oh, definitely. It's got a great atmosphere to it, also.

Deadwood Season 3

Wow, I can't believe my eyes! I thought I was the only Deadwood fan around here! In fact, I'm watching the third season too! David Milch, the creator, stopped with the series because he felt it was time to do something else. Too bad, because it's certainly one of the best shows ever. The production design alone is unparalled. He did promise to round up the series with two TV movies.

Alex

I never heard that Milch chose to stop it, only that he chose to do two movies instead of a couple more episodes.

He explains it more in the commentary for the last Season 3 episode which I still need to watch

I watched Rear Window yesterday.

I watched Notorious yesterday, on the big screen. Somewhat hair-raising premise, but that's only the MacGuffin story anyway. Very engaging movie, wonderful performances, some great scenes - considering Hitchcock didn't seem to know much about music, it's always surprising how much some of his sequences rely on it. Very good.

I love Notorious. Probably my favorite Bergman performance. Definitly my favorite Hitchcock finale.

I saw Poltergeist. Seen it once before, didn't make much of an impact. Can't say it was that much better this time. I guess it's kind of entertaining entertaining, some nice effects (along with some really annoying ones), pretty dumb story, believable acting, and excellent score. Definitly one of Spielberg's worst. Doubt I'll be seeing it again. I still can't believe the hubub peopple are making around 1982. 2-3 terrific films, 4-5 terrific scores.

**/****.

Scorsese's Cape Fear. Yeah, it's totally unnecessary, but, still, it is quite watchable. I love Nick Nolte, DeNiro good, Juliet Lewis is not bad (I generally can't stand her). Joe Don Baker is fun. And it's great to see Peck, Mitchum and Balsam in there.

I love the look, Freddie Francis and Scorsese came up with a great stylized look. The Saul Bass main titles are great. A pleasure hearing Herrmann in a modern movie, and it's thrilling to hear his great cue from Torn Curtain in a film. Kudos to Elmer.

Story ain't the most interesting, and it is one of Scorsese's least notable films, but, still, enough there to be worth a watch.

Morlock- who now has to see Kundun, King of Comedy, the New York Stories segment, and The Last Waltz to have seen all of Scorsese's films.

Transformers

Not perfect (hated the government/hacker side plot) but I enjoyed myself.

ILM really outdid themselves

I saw Poltergeist. Seen it once before, didn't make much of an impact. Can't say it was that much better this time. I guess it's kind of entertaining entertaining, some nice effects (along with some really annoying ones), pretty dumb story, believable acting, and excellent score. Definitly one of Spielberg's worst. Doubt I'll be seeing it again. I still can't believe the hubub peopple are making around 1982. 2-3 terrific films, 4-5 terrific scores.

**/****.

:)

Poltergeist is a typical product of its time and I can imagine it's quite dated now. It's a sort of second-rate Spielbergian entertainment. Back then it answered the demand of the public. The Indiana Jones sequels, The Goonies are other examples I can think of.

Punch-Drunk Love: I saw it once before and after hesitating several times I'm so glad I finally bought the DVD. Absolutely loved it.

Alex

**/****.

:)

What, you think it's a good film?

Poltergeist is a typical product of its time and I can imagine it's quite dated now. It's a sort of second-rate Spielbergian entertainment. Back then it answered the demand of the public. The Indiana Jones sequels, The Goonies are other examples I can think of.

Can't argue with you about Goonies, I am aware that I like it because I grew up on it. You're still wrong about the Indy sequels, but, what can ya do.

Punch-Drunk Love: I saw it once before and after hesitating several times I'm so glad I finally bought the DVD. Absolutely loved it.

I saw it once and liked it....been meaning to see it again. I loved PTA's previous film, and I can't wait for his next one. THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Really lovely film, really strong performances, particularly by DiCaprio, of course.

Yup, they're all good in this one. The mom gives a great performances. Although Julliet Lewis is quite annoying here (as I said I often find her annoying). DiCaprio was terrific. 1993's supporting actor category was one of the strongest ever. Tommy Lee Jones, Ralph Fiennes, Pete Postletwaithe, DiCaprio and John Malkovich.

A good year . What can I say about Ridley Scott, the guy knows how to frame a film in such a beautiful way. He Just nails it every single time. What a true artist he is.

Well, going out on a limb that you are not being sarcastic.....I enjoyed the film (one of the not too many, apparantly). A amiable romantic escapist tale, done with a very light touch by a master. Nothing amazingly notable, but beautiful looking, and very likable performances (I love the main actress, and Finney and Crowe are always a joy).

Only because of my love for Scott and his actors do I have any hope for it. It doesn't look particularly good. Too bad Hans ain't on board, I know that's tearing you up inside, Alex.

I just hope they get their Iraq picture out of the way fast, so that they get to Nottingham. Can't wait for that (although the Iraq project is interesting in pitting Crowe vs. Leo, and it's got Bill Monahan writing it, who's so far 2 for 2 in my book).

Methinks There Will Be Blood could be one of the best films of the year, as well as being Oscar material.

Well, this year ain't shaping up too well so far, so I don't think that will be saying much.....but I have high hopes for it. And, hey, no matter what, Daniel Day-Lewis is as good as any actor currently working. Yeah, QMM I have seen the trailer.

Methinks There Will Be Blood could be one of the best films of the year, as well as being Oscar material.

Maybe ...but there's also the chance that it will be Thomas Paul Anderson's Heaven's Gate.

Alex

You could do worse than Heaven's Gate, from what I understand. At least it won't be PTA's Battlefield Earth. And PTA is not quite at the place Cimino was. And Vincent Canby isn't around to bury the film for it's budget.

I love Notorious. Probably my favorite Bergman performance. Definitly my favorite Hitchcock finale.

The only thing that annoyed me... I was expecting this to be the movie with the glass of milk. Turns out that was Suspicion.

Scorsese's Cape Fear. Yeah, it's totally unnecessary, but, still, it is quite watchable.

I like it. Granted, it's been years since I've last seen it. And I still don't know the original... it's one of those movies which have a completely different title in German (you'd think the whole dubbing issue would be bad enough without additional annoyances), so I keep missing it on TV.

That's not what the expression means. Don't you know your film history?

Of course I do. I was just being a smart ass.

Die Hard 4.0

Bruce Willis returns as John McClane, his signature role. And it really feels like nothing much has changed.

A adrenaline-rushed, rip roaring action film, with plenty of explosions, gun fighting and planes and helicopters being destroyed, but there also some substance to it.

Director Len Wiseman does a very good job with this film, it's not nearly as stylised as his Underworld films. (though the colorscheme is a bit darker then Die Hard With A Vengeance). The action scenes are shot and cut hard and fast, but thankfully he avoids the Bruckheimer/Bay type 3 cuts per second, unless the scene really needs it. He also finds a good balance between action scenes and plot and character development. (this film is better paced then the 2 McTiernan Die Hards)

What can I say about Bruce Willis' acting here, he just is John McClane, and in this he's once again very good.

Critic Richard Corliss said it best.

Much has been made of Willis' weathered look, and his loss of hair, and a paunch that I didn't notice. But the man is 52, and the one star from the Bronzed Age of 80s action movies who still can persuasively embody a haunted, implacable stud. Chuck Norris went into TV, and Jean-Claude VanDamme to made-for-video cheapies. Schwarzenegger's in the public sector. Jackie Chan has a third "Rush Hour" movie coming out in August, but a lifetime of martial-arts exertions has rendered him creaky. Only Willis remains -- the last action hero.

Justin Long as the guy tagging along could have been another annoying, useless sidekick (Jar Jar, or Rob Schneider in Judge Dredd) but he's spot on, annoying only because he's completely out of his element, and develops a nice back and forth with Bruce Willis.

Timothy Olyphant (what a great name) did't exactly blow away Jeremy Irons or Alan Rickman, but he's a much stronger presence in this film then the 3 baddie's in Die Hard 2 were.

Clearly younger then McClane, but thankfully not to young to be convincing as a someone who once rose to one of the highest security jobs in the US. What I loved most about this character is that at one point, when McClane is coming after him to get his daughter back, he's actually afraid. This isn't a soldier, like all the previous Die Hard villians, this is a guy who's done all his killing online.

Maggie Q isn't in this film for very long, but her icy (yet somehow sexy) performance is damn impressive, as is her exit.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays McClane's daughter, I liked the way the cliched "kidnapped daughter" role was spiced up a bit by letting her be as touch as her father (and her mother, come to think of it). It would have been nice it there had been more back and forth between her and Timothy Olyphant (what a great name), like there was between Bonnie Bedelia and Rickman.

Some people have complained about the fact that this film is rated PG13, and therefore swearing and bloodletting is somewhat tones down. I didn't really miss it, there are still a couple of edgy moments, and there's nothing politically correct about the scene were John McClane beats the crap out of a women.

Now we come to the matter of the music. The thing I feared most about this film is that the score was gonna be an Media Ventures-type score complete with power anthems and that the tone would be the complete opposite of what Kamen had established before.

Beltrami has actually done 2 follow up scores already, I never heard his Omen, but I was not that impressed by what he did for Terminator 3.

I was greatfull to hear that the score isn't only somewhat similar in style and tone then the previous ones, though it's written by a different hand. I was even more greatfull to hear that Michael Kamen's motifs were liberally scattered throughout the music. (the mix could have been a tad louder at times though)

This fact, and many others make me feel that this is a full-fat, sugar-laden, undiluted Die Hard film!

***1/2 out of ****

I didn't imagine people with whom I occaisionally share views on movie to like this film to such an extent. Perhaps I'll check it out after all, even though the shot of the plane in the trailer made me all but promise myself not to see the film....

The plane is only in it for a few minutes, and it's probably the least believable moment in an already unbelievable film. (at one poit the pilot takes his plane under a collapsing viaduct, and in front of a truck coming right at him. I'm sure that isn't standard USAF tactics.

BTW, the special effects in this film are superb. I'm sure there is a lot of CGI in this film, but most of the time you don't really notice it.

The plane is only in it for a few minutes, and it's probably the least believable moment in an already unbelievable film. (at one poit the pilot takes his plane under a collapsing viaduct, and in front of a truck coming right at him. I'm sure that isn't standard USAF tactics.

Well, it's not like this was a particularly realistic sequence either...

yippeekiyay.jpg

I'm probably in the minority that likes Die Hard 2: Die Harder the most out of the three (I have not seen the fourth yet). I enjoy all the Die Hard films for different reasons, but there are elements from the first that prevent me from singling it out as the best, i.e. the terrible characters of the FBI guys and the police captain. To me, the second film got it right.

I saw Breach. Don't really feel like typing much about it, but I would recommend it. No masterpiece, but it's certainly good. (*** out of ****).

Tim

**/****.

:D

One of my all-time favourites.

Demon Seed (1977): A somewhat intriguing sci-fi thriller about a super computer ... or how HAL 9000 wants to have a child. Interesting music by Jerry Fielding.

Alex

**/****.

:D

One of my all-time favourites.

Well, good luck with that then. I wish you all the best.