What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I'm done rewatching Sopranos, I'll go for Deadwood. I'm sure it's one of my favorite shows, even though I haven't seen it.

I know people who can arrange that. And they like me. Now get your slimy, stinking, no good kiester off my thread! I'll give you to the count of ten.

El laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)

A fantastic, harrowing, bloodsoaked fairytail that blows away Harry Potter and all of his wizard friends.

This is one of thise films were you sit with clenched buttocks during the finale act.

Del Tor's story and direction is utterly uncompromising, this is a fairytail story, but one of the old school, forget Disney's The Little Mermaid, this is more like The Brothers Grimm, death, maiming, little children eaten by wolfs (well, not really, but you get the idea.)

Ivana Baquero is touching as our young heroine and Sergi López is the most repugnant character I've seen since Amon Goethe in Schindlers List.

The score by Rogue Banos helps nicely to get this film under your skin.

**** out of **** without even a hint of a doubt!

The score is no by Roque Banos, but by Javier Navarrette. I loved the film. ***1/2 in my book.

Saw A Fish Called Wanda again. Still don't understand it's standing. But it is a rather amusing movie. Rarely hillarious, but Kevin Kline, John Cleese, and Jaime Lee Curtis all have some brilliant scenes. ***/****.

I really liked the film the first time, though it wasn't anything like what I expected (better, probably, but just totally different). Second time, when I knew what to expect, I loved it.

Maybe another viewing will do it. It is certainly has many charming scenes, but I felt surprised when the really great performances came through, becuase I didn't feel them evident earlier in the movie.

Also The Fisher King again. I'm not sure exactly what it's point is, whether it has a point, and if my not getting it is my own fault or the filmmakers. But it is a very watchable movie, do it's three primary performers. Robin Williams when he still gave terrific performances, Jeff Bridges is the dude, and Mercedes Ruehl is very good. A lot of entertaining moments, a lot of WTF? moments. But any movie that ends with Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams naked in Central Park can't be all bad.

**1/2/****.

Also The Fisher King again. I'm not sure exactly what it's point is, whether it has a point, and if my not getting it is my own fault or the filmmakers. But it is a very watchable movie, do it's three primary performers. Robin Williams when he still gave terrific performances, Jeff Bridges is the dude, and Mercedes Ruehl is very good. A lot of entertaining moments, a lot of WTF? moments. But any movie that ends with Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams naked in Central Park can't be all bad.

**1/2/****.

Me and Gilliam don't click. I have no problem with "weird", but I can't immerse in his bizzareness like others seem to do.

Neither can I, generally speaking. The Fisher King is probably my favorite film of his, and the only one I consistantly enjoyed watching, despite the fact that it didn't add up to much. I do recall enjoying elements of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. But I'll be damned if I recall which ones (aside from John Neville).

Perhaps it succeeded at being flamboyant? Another film of his I can't enjoy but millions of other people seem to worship is 12 Monkeys. The last time I tried to watch it I really had to switch it off, which is a pitty because the script is by David Peoples.

Brazil is the only one of his films that I've thoroughly enjoyed. I've admired a lot of individual things in his other films, but that's the only one that truly works overall for me. I used to really like Time Bandits (when I was 10 or 11), but now it doesn't do anything for me at all.

I like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas even though when it comes right down to it, it is pointless.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a masterful description of a very strong high.

Let's just say it's every bit as pointless as an acid trip.

Yeah, believe it or not, but it was the first time that I saw that movie. It's pretty much like Chris Reeve himself once said: "The less about Superman IV, the better." But it's almost one of those movies that are so bad that they're already good. :blink:

DAMMIT! I went out and rented the second half of the second season of The Sopranos....but by mistake got the second half of the fourth season. DAMMIT!

I haven't seen Zodiac yet but IMO Fight Club is Fincher's best flick. It's also the only flick of his that I enjoyed more during the second time around. His other movies only seem to be interesting during the first viewing.

Alex

Saw Twilight Zone: The Movie. Altogether, it is not as bad as I thought it would be. The opening is terrific. Time Out is dumb, although Vic Morrow is quite watchable during his tirade in the begining. Kick The Can is torture. Time Out is great in the begining, when you don't know what's up with this messed up story. Didn't like where it went. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is excellent, Lithgow is wonderful. Liked the finale.

Of course, the score is tops. Love the music for all the segment. The last one is the most engaging and most fun, obivously, and I just love the melody from Kick The Can.

All in all, I don't know, it didn't seem all that bad, even though I only liked the prologue and one of the sequences. Maybe I'm just in a good mood?

Still, it's **/****. But I can see myself watching it again for the two good parts.

I haven't seen Zodiac yet but IMO Fight Club is Fincher's best flick. It's also the only flick of his that I enjoyed more during the second time around. His other movies only seem to be interesting during the first viewing.

Alex

Fight Club is an awesome movie indeed. The first time I watched it I got what was going on but my friends were all, 'What the hell?" and had to watch it a second time to understand it. I too enjoyed it more through the second viewing.

Alex

Se7en was my favorite, and I liked it more with recurring viewings (only seen it 3 times, but still). I only saw Fight Club long after all the hype sunk in, so I still had problems with it last time I saw it (mostly around the ending). Although I have the feeling that another viewing or too should clear up the hype-related problems. I did not like Zodiac after the first 45 minutes or so.

A Scanner Darkly: Blu-Ray edition. Got tired of it after 10 minutes. I had to keep watching because I didn't want to spoil my friend's pleasure. Afterwards it seemed he disliked it too. The animation technique that was used felt gimmicky and it was way too dialog based for an "animation" film. Blu-Ray picture quality was very good from start to finish.

The Fountain: Blu-Ray edition. Interesting but in the end not so good movie. Sure it was alright but I guess the film's themes just didn't do it for me. I can imagine some people will love this to pieces. At times, the picture was very grainy, especially with dark lit shots.

Alex

I was not a fan of either. Liked the actors in the first one, was intrigued by a lot of The Fountain....but it lost me at some point, and never got me back. The ending did absolutely nothing for me.

A Scanner Darkly: Blu-Ray edition. Got tired of it after 10 minutes.

Couldn't disagree more. The opening and the ending are the best parts of the movie, although there's a lull section in the middle. And there's also the final twist, which borders on ridiculous, but you can just shrug it off. But the final minute and a half totally excuses all that's wrong with the ending.

I had to keep watching because I didn't want to spoil my friend's pleasure. Afterwards it seemed he disliked it too.

I, too, find it very difficult to like a movie when the friend who's watching with me doesn't like it. It's a collective experience.

The animation technique that was used felt gimmicky and it was way too dialog based for an "animation" film.

But it wasn't an animation film! Yes, the animation technique was gimmicky and distracting at some points, but it really helped to distort any reality in the film. Which is how a junkie (like that godsend Robert Downey Jr, or the more obvious Woody Harrelson) would see reality. And you're supposed to feel as confused, disoriented and detached as the characters are.

And of course it's dialog-based! Pointless, quick, redundant dialog that goes nowhere. Exactly how junkies talk. The movie, like the original story, is supposed to take the casual viewer into the mind of a drug addict, so that you see it's no party: characters shift from simplistic "good" and "bad" depending on Keanu Reeves' mood because... that's how it goes when your brain is fried like an egg. And the scenes seem disconnected from each other because a drug addict's brain finds it very, very difficult to make connections. Of course, don't look for any rational enjoyment because it isn't a film with a message.

The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) is one of the best sequels in that it completely bests the first.

IMO Fight Club is Fincher's best flick.

I didn't think we'd agree on a Fincher-related point. :) Se7en is great, but I like Fight Club just a bit more still; it's clearly among my favourite movies.

Being a Fincher fan, I still managed to miss Zodiac theatrically... they're still playing it, but only dubbed now. Bah.

The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) is one of the best sequels in that it completely bests the first.

I won't say that it completely bests the first. While it's better, I do think the first one adds more to the depth of MM2. You could definitely start at 2, since it describes 1 in the prologue, but if you put the two together, you get the better experience. 1 is only made good by the narration (and music) in the prologue of 2. If you take that prologue into account when you watch 1, then watch 2...you truly unlock the greatness of George Miller's work.

Mad Max 3's definitely the "ROTJ" of the trilogy, though. Damn kids ruining another great 80s trilogy. It's still good and looks cooler than the first two, but it's just lacking that depth and simple adventure of 2.

And of course it's dialog-based! Pointless, quick, redundant dialog that goes nowhere. Exactly how junkies talk. The movie, like the original story, is supposed to take the casual viewer into the mind of a drug addict, so that you see it's no party: characters shift from simplistic "good" and "bad" depending on Keanu Reeves' mood because... that's how it goes when your brain is fried like an egg. And the scenes seem disconnected from each other because a drug addict's brain finds it very, very difficult to make connections. Of course, don't look for any rational enjoyment because it isn't a film with a message.

I don't understand this outlook on the film. If you are a casual viewer who has not experienced the mind of a drug addict, a film like this will make almost no sense. If you have experienced it, than the film is nothing more than a familiar feeling, rahter useless piece. I can only imagine this film really working if you are actually on drugs while watching it, as then it will make perfect sense, and be of the moment.

The resulting post:

The film's opening scenes describe very well the effects of drugs on people. And then the description fits the actions on the screen. Why would you not get that the director's intent is more focused on the drugs than on the story?

As for, "why would one want to witness the effect of drugs on other people from an inside point of view?", I guess there's no answer to that one. It's the same question as "why would someone want to know what happened on a battlefield far away a hundred years ago?" or "why would someone want to be told an immigrant's experience in a foreign country?".

And finally, about the film's "familiar feeling" if you were a drug addict... It kinda makes more sense if you want to feel this "familiar feeling" again if the feeling is more basic, like love, fear, happiness, etc. Which you get from other kind of movies.

As per your requiest, oh statue-y one.

The film's opening scenes describe very well the effects of drugs on people. And then the description fits the actions on the screen. Why would you not get that the director's intent is more focused on the drugs than on the story?

I didn't not get it, I just didn't care. And he threw me off by actually having something that seems like story (or plot, or moral) at the end.

As for, "why would one want to witness the effect of drugs on other people from an inside point of view?", I guess there's no answer to that one. It's the same question as "why would someone want to know what happened on a battlefield far away a hundred years ago?" or "why would someone want to be told an immigrant's experience in a foreign country?".

And finally, about the film's "familiar feeling" if you were a drug addict... It kinda makes more sense if you want to feel this "familiar feeling" again if the feeling is more basic, like love, fear, happiness, etc. Which you get from other kind of movies.

As for these points....as for the former, I couldn't really say. I have a feeling that it is quite different, but, seeing as I have had my experience, I cannot say what it would be like to watch it without having a drug-addled past. As for the latter....as we have discussed in the past, I have less romantic or nostalgic memories. I mean, I do, but they generally come down to friendship or fear, or depression, and do not classify as a serious "familiar feeling" on their own.

Different experiences, I guess. I have little room in my movie-going heart or mind for through-the-eyes-of-a-drug-addict films in and of themselves.