What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

For one thing, it's too small and specific concidering thevastness of hte experience leading up to it. And, of course, Roy abandoning his family still strikes a wrong note.

Works for me. Probably anything at all would work for me in that finale, because for the last 20 minutes or so, it's all about the music anyway.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Village: Hmmm, it was a very interesting movie. I thought the plot was good enough, and I loved what Ivy found on the other side of the Gravel Road, that was just like an old Twilight Zone. I was incredibly saddened when

Noah died. He was just so innocent, and all he wanted was Ivy's attention, that was very sad for me.

. There were a few times I jumped. All in all, it wasn't as good as Signs or Sixth Sense, but it was still a good movie. My rating is partially affected by the part in "spoiler" highlights, which I guess is sort of unfair, but I would give this movie ***/*****

As for the music, it was very nice, very beautiful, but I didn't think it was that great. I'm listening to the soundtrack now, The Gravel Road is the highlight so far. To be honest, this is my least favorite JNH score I own (but I haven't listened to King Kong yet). But I will be sure to give it another listen, because I know that it is very popular.

Also felt like seeing the 1956 The 10 Commendments.

Funny, I also felt like watching an old epic. I saw Spartacus. In some ways, this movie is better than Scott's Gladiator. They really should release the friggin score! Some of the actors, like Olivier and Laughton, are still very impressive to watch.

I would say it is a better film than Gladiator in every single department, except perhaps the leading performance, although Douglas was very good. But the scenes with Laughton and Ustinov in particular are just an absolute joy to watch.

Both Douglas and Tony Curtis are miscast but with such a strong supporting cast you can overlook their performances.

But I agree the scenes with Laughton, Ustinov and Olivier are a true joy to watch.

The Village: Hmmm, it was a very interesting movie. I thought the plot was good enough, and I loved what Ivy found on the other side of the Gravel Road, that was just like an old Twilight Zone. I was incredibly saddened when

Noah died. He was just so innocent, and all he wanted was Ivy's attention, that was very sad for me.

. There were a few times I jumped. All in all, it wasn't as good as Signs or Sixth Sense, but it was still a good movie. My rating is partially affected by the part in "spoiler" highlights, which I guess is sort of unfair, but I would give this movie ***/*****

As for the music, it was very nice, very beautiful, but I didn't think it was that great. I'm listening to the soundtrack now, The Gravel Road is the highlight so far. To be honest, this is my least favorite JNH score I own (but I haven't listened to King Kong yet). But I will be sure to give it another listen, because I know that it is very popular.

The Village was the poetic side of M. Night Shyamalan. If it wasn't what it turned out to be I don't think it would have been very good at all. William Hurt was excellent, his speech to the elders at the end was really amazing. The score was beautiful and lush, I thought it worked very well with the film and deserved its nomination.

Right now I'm watching Prisoner Of Azkaban on ABC Family. It's the shrieking shack scene, I love the deception on the audience in this scene.

Both Douglas and Tony Curtis are miscast but with such a strong supporting cast you can overlook their performances.

But I agree the scenes with Laughton, Ustinov and Olivier are a true joy to watch.

And we can safely claim that Gladiator doesn't have such strong supporting characters.

Anyways, it's bold of you to say Kirk Douglas was miscast since the movie was literally build around him. He was the one who pulled the strings and controlled every aspect. He doesn't have to be the best drama player of the movie. He just needs to imbody the archetypical hero. I can think of only one person who would've been better suited and that's Charles Heston (again!).

But in the end, it's true, Ustinov, Laughton and Olivier make it all seem so effortlessly.

The Village was the poetic side of M. Night Shyamalan. If it wasn't what it turned out to be I don't think it would have been very good at all.

We the audience have to believe the story we are watching. I usually have a hard time with believing in Shyamalan's storytelling but with The Village he couldn't come up with something that's even close to being somewhat convincing or logical.

And we can safely claim that Gladiator doesn't have such strong supporting characters.

Yes, but that is actually one department in which Gladiator is fairly successful- Olive Reed and Richard Harris are splendid.

The Village was the poetic side of M. Night Shyamalan. If it wasn't what it turned out to be I don't think it would have been very good at all.

We the audience have to believe the story we are watching. I usually have a hard time with believing in Shyamalan's storytelling but with The Village he couldn't come up with something that's even close to being somewhat convincing or logical.

The style drew me in the first time, yet I hated the movie. The second time around, I got all kinds of disconnected concepts. But the movie is almost worth watching for Roger Deakins, JNH, and, to a lesser extent, William Hurt (who's playing a typical Hurt character, but, well, I like William Hurt).

How so?

The Village is very different from any Hitchcock film I've seen.

You've never seen Jamaica Inn I take it?

The story at first is very M. Night, I don't think anyone could have guessed the ending unless reading an internet spoiler of course. The whole set up of the film, the little details that unveil the finale, are all writing styles of Shyamalan.

BTW, A Charlie Brown Christmas is on ABC right now.

How so?

I take it you don't have kids?

8 Femmes: François Ozon's follow-up to Swimming Pool reminded me of Almodovar. It looked nice and colorful but the typical who-done-it story that lies on the surface didn't interest me. I'm sure there's something deeper going on but I didn't feel like digging. Maybe next time ...

Les Choristes: Cute and cozy but in the end it's the same old story about a new teacher winning the respect of his rebellious class.

The Duellists: Well, I'm one of those guys who considers this one of the 3 best movies that Ridley Scott ever made. Extremely re-watchable! Intruiging story about honor and obsession (and some say it's about the changing of times). Beautiful locations, charismatic performances by Carradine and Keitel (even though they are the only ones with American accents) and a great score by Howard Blake. Some images will stick forever in your mind.

Alex

The remake for Dawn Of The Dead. I was bored and searched for it on Youtube and surprisingly found all of it. I thought the movie was alright...but definitely not one I will be buying on DVD.

Les Choristes: Cute and cozy but in the end it's the same old story about a new teacher winning the respect of his rebellious class.

Didn't see the film, though I did like the main song.

The Duellists: Well, I'm one of those guys who considers this one of the 3 best movies that Ridley Scott ever made. Extremely re-watchable! Intruiging story about honor and obsession (and some say it's about the changing of times). Beautiful locations, charismatic performances by Carradine and Keitel (even though they are the only ones with American accents) and a great score by Howard Blake. Some images will stick forever in your mind.

Than why were you surprised by me liking it so much when I saw it a few months back?

Than why were you surprised by me liking it so much when I saw it a few months back?

I don't remember. Perhaps I was surprised because I like it. Are you saying we both like this Scott film? Get out of here! I was under the impression that only the fans of Scott's earlier period could like it. You know, the hardcore Scott lads who claim that only his 3 first movies are great (The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner). I know of a such a guy and much to my (and his) surprise he called American Gangster one of THE best Scotts ever.

Alex

The Duellists.

***1/2/****

That must be the highest score anyone has ever given it. I think it's more like a **1/2 movie because, like with most Scott films, it lacks substantial depth (For that I way much prefer Barry Lyndon - which Scorsese names Kubrick's most daring project, BTW). Of course, the images and the style make up for it. After all, at that time, Scott was a visual artist with already thousands of commercials on his resume. If there's anyone who knows how to capture something on film and make it look good, it's him!

Alex

That was indeed my opinion when I last watched the movie years ago. I still think it lacks originality (some things are carbon copies of Barry Lyndon) but this time I was more drawn into it. I'm highly anticipating my 5-disc set of Blade Runner this month so I'm in a serious Scott mood. ***1/2 is still too much. It's probably a **1/2 movie but let's give it ***/****.

What do you think, robthehand?

Alex

Saw The Man Who Wasn't There again. It gets a bit messy over the last few minutes, but I love the movie. It's possible that the Coen Brothers are my favorite filmmakers currently working. I just love so many of their film. I can't even fully explain why I love this one so much.

I saw 'Mean Creek' yesterday. Great film, with perhaps the best performances by "kids" I've ever seen.

That's exactly what I said after first seeing it. The acting is stunning, I wish Josh Peck would do some more films like this, rather than his horrible nickelodeon series Drake & Josh.

Rescue Dawn. Underwhelming. There's no madness in it. It is a very conventional movie, except for maybe the pawsing. As much as one can appreciate the jungle location.....it really feels like a backlot compared to other Herzog jungle films.

I mean, I liked Bale and Zahn and Davies. But the film just did almost nothing for me. The ending is painfully conventional.

**/****.

It was fine. Certainly un-MV, but it didn't strike me as anything special. One of the themes in it reminded me of the opeing of ST:The Next Generation main credits.

I watched Jaws the other day with someone who'd never seen it before.

Ben Gardner's head appearing is still as effective as ever. :blink:

- Marc, who's months behind on his "last film watched" list and has decided to let that go.

Ben Gardner's head appearing is still as effective as ever. :blink:

Oh yes indeed. :D

Watched some Wyatt Earp, GoodFellas and Gone With the Wind in these last days. ;)

- Marc, who's months behind on his "last film watched" list and has decided to let that go.

Just one I wondered about, what did you think of The Departed out of interest?

Just one I wondered about, what did you think of The Departed out of interest?

I liked it much better the second time. When I first saw it I kept comparing it to the original in my head. With that out of the way, I was now able to enjoy the film for what it is; a very well-made film with an interesting plot and characters that aren't the usual cardboard cutouts.

The cast was very nice as well, particularly the supporters. Very good movie (not Great, but very good).

Now i will never have your extensive review of Shaun Of The Dead!

It's a rare film: a spoof that doesn't just work as a send-up, but as a film on its own as well. It doesn't just make fun of the zombie genre, it writes a love note to it. It's not "spot the reference" parodying, but rather telling a story in a particular genre framework. And it works very well. I quite like the film, and I have no affiniation with the zombie genre whatsoever.

Can't wait for Hot Fuzz to finally come out on DVD here. It's taking ages!

I did not like Hot Fuzz. For my money, they forgot to be funny, thus dispelling the notion that the best parody of a thing is the showing the thing itself.

thus dispelling the notion the the best parody of a thing is the showing the thing itself.

chappelle-4.jpg

That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on this board. Thank you!

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. I think the film is slightely overrated, but still, watching it can be a terrific experience. A lot of Spielberg's brilliance in film is shown here, the brilliant (often brilliantly simple) mis-e-scene. The man knows how to make a sequence. Making a complete movie- he's got more of a spotty record there of late. But he's always been the best creator of scenes. The finale of the film is a spectacular aural and visual exeprience. The lights of the spacecraft is really stunning, and it looks terrific on the DVD. The very end, with Roy getting on, with the missing pilots coming back, and the earth expedition going on the ship, doesn't work for me. For one thing, it's too small and specific concidering thevastness of hte experience leading up to it. And, of course, Roy abandoning his family still strikes a wrong note.

For me, the real heart of the movie is Truffaut. He is such a warm and approachable character here.

In my book, not the top-most echelon of Spielberg's film, but not too far from it. I'm sure that a good print on a big screen might be a mind blowing visceral experience. ***1/2/****.

I liked CE3K quite a bit when it was theatrically released (in 1978, wasn't it?). When I watched the DVD a few years ago I felt it lost some of its appeal. Concerning content, it's one of those Spielberg films that doesn't improve on new meetings. However, Trumbull's effects are still very gorgeous and stand the test of time. I truly love the mothership.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is one of Spielberg's very finest, and I think it certainly does improve the more I see it and as more time goes by. From a formal standpoint, it's as finely made as anything in his oveure. Moreover, he achieved a level of visual and thematic intracacy that is both subtle and very complex. It's a pure joy to watch, and layered with depth.

Ted

A predictable but futile appeal to me vanity.

You and I know nothing, there's only one opinion that counts:

Some say that his scrotum has its own small gravity fieldand that once, preposterously, he had an affair with Lukas Kendall... all we know is, he's called Mr Breathmask.

Actually, it wasn't an appeal to your vanity.....I suspect that you agree with me to a certain extent, and just wanted to hear you say it.