What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Though amusing at times, the film is a mess. Depp and Del-Toro are fun to watch. As your lawyer, I cannot in good conscience recommend this film.

**/****.

Night at The Opera. First Marx brothers movie I've seen. A bit zanier than I would have liked, but very funny never the less. I suspect that the next time I'll see it it will be funnier. ***1/2/****.

Bugsy. An impressive but cold biopic. I've always had an unhealthy fascination with gangsters, so it might satisfy me more than others. Still, it is strangely flat for most of it. Good scenes, good performances (Beatty is very good), but still, it is often flat. A movie I wish I would like more. Allen Davieau's work is excellent. Unfortunately, I don't think the same could be said for Morricone. The score sounds like a tired rehash of The Untouchables for most of it.

However, on the comprehensive doc offered on the disc, there is a nice 7-8 minute section on Morricone, and I've never seen him so animated! He smiles, he laughs, they show him talking with Levinson about the score....excellent score feature.

***/****.

Reservoir Dogs. The movie still works it's magic every time. Superb performances and dialogue, I love the cinematography, and some wonderfully dinamic turn of events. I still don't think the film is overall as accomplished as Pulp Fiction, but it is perfect at what it is. ****/****.

I saw Night At The Museum for the first time tonight on DVD. I thought it was a fun film, one I'll eventually buy. Silvestri's score was pretty good in it too.

You really have perfected the art of back-handed complements, haven't you?

Morlock- watching The Adventures of Robin Hood

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Though amusing at times, the film is a mess. Depp and Del-Toro are fun to watch. As your lawyer, I cannot in good conscience recommend this film.

**/****.

What?!?

I love that film. So much fun, and really well made.

I haven't watched any movies in a while, but the last one was Once Upon a Time in the West. Just as great as ever. The flashback scene is perfection. One of my all-time favourite films. A great companion piece to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, though totally different.

- Rob, who wants to see A Fistful of Dynamite, and maybe (for interest value) The Colossus of Rhodes

**/****.

What?!?

Yes, yes, I know. But...it's a two hour drug-trip. I've had that myself. I just don't see the value of the film. Of course, I have never read a word of Mr. Thompson's writings.

And I hadn't seen The Adventures of Robin Hood in a while. It's as good as it's ever been. One of the few Golden Age genuine period pieces that live up to the reputation. It is marvelous in every possible way. And the score, oh the score.....I have my share of problems with Golden Age film scoring, but this is one case where it lives up to it's name. Such a lush, magnificent score. A genuine classic, totally deserving of it's reputation. DVD is full of goodies- documentries, trailers, shorts, a commentery, and, most remarkably footage from the set and Bloopers from sevral WB films of the period!

****/****.

Yes, yes, I know.

If you know, then why do you insist on hurting me?

But...it's a two hour drug-trip. I've had that myself.

I have had my share of acid-induced trips, and that doesn't stop me from liking the movie. Did you have yours with Johnny Depp and the narration of professional drug-tripper Hunter S. Thompson? That was more or less the point to Bonzo journalism.

I just don't see the value of the film. Of course, I have never read a word of Mr. Thompson's writings.

That's the heart of the matter. Go make your homework!

You really have perfected the art of back-handed complements, haven't you?

If you're talking about Cremers ... well there's this great little thing called "ignore" here on the forum that I've used... so I don't see his posts...

Even though Vosk can't read you, Alex. But I do think you should take that back!

suck up. so begins the fracture in the indestructable wall known as Stefan Cosman.

you don't suck a broken coke bottle you **** it, and you know thats gotta hurt.

you don't suck a broken coke bottle you **** it, and you know thats gotta hurt.

I would not know such things!

Don't know what kind of kinky shit you get up to once you get home and close your curtains!

You were raised by nuns afterall...

Oh no, me and Vosk are over, thanks to Steef.

Thanks to me?

It's your fault, not mine!

Oh yes. I may have lost feeling in my nuts, but I can beat you at movies any day of the week (INCLUDING SATURDAY!)!

No, we just easily dominate those places where we are clearly superior to all of you people.

you live in a desert, superiority is an illusion.

Well...

wait, we are losing focus here, we must return to the essence of this thread.

Alex cremers!

who, isn't he dead

or wait, isn't he that secret lover of our utah poster, I believe he is

It would not surprise me. But I'm sure you made a pass at Alex, and he rejected you.

What's it's like to be a sper...spurned lover, Joe? I hear it sucks ass!

I never made a pass at Alex, I don't even know what he looks like,

and I've never been a spurned lover either, aren't you the one who lost his girlfriend recently?

and no Alex I don't have you on my ignore list, I don't ignore anyone here, thats a feature for whiney large assed homophobes

Your posts are very interesting to read, even if I don't always agree. besides we've really only disagreed about Titanic, Blade Runner and Batman Begins

I'm not buying it.

... Steef's comments, I mean

Is that all we disagree on, Joe? Surely there must be more.

PS: Nobody knows how I look like.

Im sure that we disagree on more, but off the top of my bald head, thats all I could think of.

Last movie I saw was Disturbia, very nice opening car wreck, it channeled the beginning wreck in Final Destination 2,

Last movie I saw was Disturbia, very nice opening car wreck, it channeled the beginning wreck in Final Destination 2,

Looked just like a rip-off of Rear Window, to me. I'll wait for the DVD, and rent.

I'll be watching The Illusionist tonight. Somehow I'm looking forward to it: Edward Norton vs. Paul Giamatti. I hope the latter won't act the former to shreds.

Alex

Steef's getting soft with old age.

I saw Night At The Museum, a nice fun family flick, typical divorced father trying to prove himself to his son theme. The actual last few scenes of the movie were poor. Nice to see Micky Rooney and Dick Van Dyke back on the screen.

Typical Silvestri score, nice opening theme with some hints of his Mummy Returns score thrown in for the mummy exibit in the the film.

Star Trek III: The Ears Of Spock.

A direct sequel to the previous film, and IMO a vastly underrated film.

While many think the idea of ressurecting Spock was lame, and cheapened his death in the previous film....if you are gonna ressurect a chatacter, this is a hell of a way to do it.

Spock is mostly absent in this film, and you really feel it, there's a good sense of loss and melancholy in the early parts of the film.

Shatner is again good as Kirk, with his reaction to David's death as a highlight.

Kelley has a few good scenes struggling with Spock's Katra in his head.

Christopher Loyd as Kruge actually makes for a rather imposing villian, not on the order of Khan, but miles better then that idiot Klingon Commander in Trek 5.

Robin Curtis replaces Kirstie Alley as Saavik, and in many ways she's a more convincing Vulcan. (though that's in part because Alley actually played a half Vulcan/half Romulan, and she was made a full Vulcan in the editing process...

While Curtis is perhaps a bit flat in places but she nails the scene were she tells Kirk that David is dead.

Mark Lenard returns as Sarek of Vulcan, Spock's father. And he does once again an incredible job in a difficult role (it's very hard for actors to play a Vulcan, since most acting is about displaying emotion.)

He manages to add depth to logic.

Special effects remain good, with a lot of new additions that would be recycled in subsequent films and series. The new Spacedock really is a thing of beauty and the Klingon Bird of Prey looks great.

Nimoy does an impressive job for a first time director. Acting, editing, pacing is all generally fine. And he really excells in the final scenes of the film, on Vulcan, both as an actor and a director.

James Horner's sequel score is outstanding. With a very different mood then The Wrath Of Khan, focusing more on the feelings of loss and the mystical side os the story then the seafaring qualities of TWOK. So even though these 2 scores share many of the same themes, they have an seperate identity.

Horner's klingon theme is rather good, though Goldsmith's is better. (Of course this would be recycled for Aliens)

Horner also uses some of the same percussion that Goldsmith did for the Vulcan music, adding a nice touch of continuity.

Flaws.

There really isn't much in the way of plot, the story is incredibly linear, no real surprises apart from David's death, no subplot of any kind.

Ponn Farr, to anyone who has not seen Amok Time, it will be very difficult to figure out that Saavik and young Spock have had sex. (it does explain Saavik's shamefull look late in the film)

Why doesn't USS Grissom raise it's shields when the Bird Of Prey decloaks? It gets blasted to pieces with a single shot.

Why doesn't Kirk try to raise the shields at the first sign of trouble when they arrive at the planet? Has he forgotten that his hesitation almost got everyone killed in the previous film?

Kruge appears to have beamed back to his ship while it's cloaked, according to many episodes in the Star Trek Canon, this is an absolute impossibility.

How long a time has passed between this film and TWOK anyway?

Dialogue indicicates that some time has passed, enough for most of the crew to be reasigned, and for a controversy to stir up concerning Genesis and for the Federation to dictate that only a science team be allowed there. So let's say a couple of weeks maybe

What about Spock, he's found on Genesis aged 7 to 10, with his mind a total blank. How did he keep himself alive for a few weeks?

*** out of ****

I'll be watching The Illusionist tonight. Somehow I'm looking forward to it: Edward Norton vs. Paul Giamatti. I hope the latter won't act the former to shreds.

Alex

I don't think he does, Norton was pretty good. I thought the film was pretty dumb when you think about it, but it looks fantastic, and I'm quite fond of the score.

I saw The Fountain at the Cinematque. I was drawn in by it...but the end did nothing for me. And I was quite dissapointed with the score. It looked nice enough....but I doubt I'll be thinking on this film again.

Half Nelson. Good flick, despite the fact that it's incredibly slow, it's still involving. There's actually very little dialogue too. There is a lot of empty space between lines, showing that the characters are actually thinking about what they're going to say next. This is a good movie to watch alone, if you have absolutely zero things planned for a few hours. It's something you can't lose focus on, and you might be tempted due to its pace and lack of energy or forward momentum. But given the movie, that's sort of the point. (***1/2 out of ****)

Tim

I don't think he does, Norton was pretty good. I thought the film was pretty dumb when you think about it, but it looks fantastic, and I'm quite fond of the score.

I was expecting an interesting duel between two characters. You know, a bit like the old crime series Columbo, where we learn more about them as the plot advances. Sadly, it was just "another" film. And so there was the magician, the police chief, the princess, the evil bad guy, etcetera, etcetera. The film has no people, only cardboard characters and they only serve to tell a story which felt like a combination of The Prestige and The Usual Suspects. I must say, Rufus Sewell, the bad guy, was the most convincing of them all. Jessica Biel was the most beautiful one. Giamatti was guilty of overacting his part a bit and Norton was good on stage but less satisfying when he wasn't perfoming his very unlikely tricks.

Normally I can't stand the man but the music of Philip Glass worked wonderfully well and was the film's biggest surprise.

Alex