What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live Free or Die Hard

Not nearly as bad as I've heard it to be. Surprisingly, the parts that I thought I'd have a huge problem with (Kevin Smith, not that bad, McClane standing on a harrier, happens nice and fast and isn't too implausible, and the PG13 thing which, although definately noticeable with their overdubbing of lines, didn't really affect the action since this is the most intense of the previous 3)

Willis I enjoyed a lot, as well as Justin Long who wasn't annoying at all surprisingly. Not a terrible score either, although it's no Kamen.

Only problem I had was the government side of the story, hated the actors and it was just too drawn out.

Enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Pirates

Simon Birch. The first half of it was pretty good, the second unforgivably fluffy. Overall, the music by Mark Shaiman may have been the most detrimental factor. As the movie began, I wondered if the music would be a cheap knock-off of Silvestri's Forrest Gump. It was.

Live Free or Die Hard

I thought from the trailers that it looked a bit too over-the-top, considering the first one was confined to a single building, but actually I liked it very much. It was just an entertaining, well-made action movie. The only thing I didn't really like was the parts that tried a little too hard to be "deep." I think it would have been a great movie with less of that, but overall it was a very enjoyable time. B

Also, this was like the third movie I've seen this summer which had the "analog hero in a digital world" analogy in it.

~Sturgis

What was the second (Aside from Ocean's 13)?

Morlock- who finally saw the Sopranos finale, and is a bit stunned

After sleeping on it, definitely like. It was not good, but I don't think it could have been better. The worst option, except for all the others.

Shrek The Third. I'm a big fan of the first two films, so the mediocrity of this is even more off-putting. Net very funny, not good story. The film has a couple of good scenes. But, overall, the only thing really worth-while about the film is the look of it. It looks magnificent, best CGI work I've seen to date. Of course, we're still at a point where that gets better with most major CGI releases, but the film still looked fantastic, with many excellent and inventive use of the form.

Not good, not good. Even Harry Gregson-Williams let me down. 2-3 godo cues, but, overall, it went the way of the movie.

Only one question remains.....will The Bourne Ultimatum prove that second sequels can be great? (I sincerely doubt it)

Only one question remains.....will The Bourne Ultimatum prove that second sequels can be great? (I sincerely doubt it)

Well, compared with AOTC, ROTS was great ;)

And speaking of ROTS, and last film i have watched, well, i'm going to see today my first Digital projection. And this movie no less. And with Rick Mccallum... (crap they are doing Indy IV right now, maybe Lucas had come instead :( ) and a bunch of 501st members. And its free :o

They are making some congress about digital arts and science, and well they are making projections of movies. I may see Superman returns tomorrow too...

This summer, Pirates and Ocean's 13 have already proved that second sequels can be better than first sequels, if not being great or reaching the level of the originals.

Ray Barnsbury

Not relatively great, but great. Both Ocean's 13 and Pirates were severly lacking. And, for my money, Spiderman 3 was more enjoyable than the first two. I can't remember the last time I felt satisfied by a sequel. Maybe it was Shrek 2 (not as good as the first, but still satisfying).

Shrek 3 was a complete letdown.

While not drastic drops, the box office for the 3 main films released so far will fall short of the 2nd films in the series by a substantial margin.

Is it because of the quality of the films, or do people just not care about Summer blockbusters anymore?

Yes, because crappy big budget blockbusters have made money for years. It's practically become a staple of the film industry.

I think the decline is a combnation of many factors. POTC probably could have waited a year or two instead of releasing 2 films a year apart, give people something to wait for. The quality of films and the fact they are #3 in a series have something to do with the decline, some people don't like sequels especially if they hate the first film.

It seems more people are buying widescreen TV's and you throw in the cheap costs of home entertainment systems plus most summer blockbusters will probably be vailable on DVD by Christmas and I would imagine some people will wait and watch it at home.

Nowadays most of your audience will run out and see the film within it's first two weeks. Whatever follows is the few who wait for the crowds to die down, those who wait for word of mouth and those who wish to view the film again.

It's obvious people will pay to see crap, that's why sequels to crap like Saw, Hostel, Fast and Furious, Friday The 13th part 50 (or have they finally stopped?), and the direct to video junk continue to prosper.

This has been an interesting year for blockbuster sequels. None have really met expectations.

Well i saw ROTS in Digital. Amazing videoquality and without dirt :folder:

Unfortunatelly (or fortunatelly...) Rick Mccallum did not attend. I suppose that the print being in spanish had something to do. But he could have made a little intro or come later for an outro. He is still doing a conference today anyway...

'Spain is different'. :folder:

And italy... (but here the lip-sinc is worse)

I was nevertheless amazed that they wasted time and translated even the text, when this movie has not aired Digitally in spain, i think.

I watched The Omen with the Donner/Baird commentary last night. Fun to listen to, and lots of fun trivia, but I didn't buy Donner's idea about it all being in Robert's imagination at all. ;) Both of them had nothing but praise for Goldsmith's stunning score. While watching it this time, it did occur to me just how well edited the film is. Overall the movie is entertaining, not great, but entertaining.

It's a fun ridicules film. And Donner is obviously delusional. Commentary is still fun.

I saw Mr. Brooks. Terrible! such a stupid movie. It could have been a passable thriller, or horror film, or Jekyl & Hyde movie, but it just tried to be everything, and ended up being nothing. It's a shame, because I kind of liked Costner, and I loved a lot of his moments with Hurt. Demi Moore was terrible, as usual, in a baaaaaad part. The Carrie-like ending was incredibly stupid, but it did make me forget about the rest of the film for a second, and make me think about that great DePalma sense of humor, and what it would have done here. Ramin Djawandi's score sucked. *.5/****.

It's a fun ridicules film.

Agreed. And there are a few fun shock moments, but nothing really scary. And not that anyone cares, but I've been to the cathedral where Damien goes nuts near the beginning. :)

Saturday afternoon I watched Shrek the Third. Had to wait for an hour because the showing I'd planned to go to was sold out. I'd brought my iPod, so that was OK - but overall the wait wasn't worth it. The film wasn't terrible, it just wasn't very good. I laughed a few times, but the whole thing felt tired and lazy.

That evening I watched Carrie. Very powerful film, quite disturbing at times. Great acting all round, and really great direction - the prom sequence is just stunning. I'm never quite sure whether the ending (the dream) is absolutely perfect, or just a cheap shock - but I love it.

And it's not strictly a film, but this morning I watched the first Star Trek pilot - The Cage. I can see why they didn't pick this up (there are basically no really engaging characters apart from Pike - even Spock isn't interesting yet), though it's fascinating to watch, and very well made. I like the way they later incorporated it into The Menagerie episodes.

Saturday afternoon I watched Shrek the Third. Had to wait for an hour because the showing I'd planned to go to was sold out. I'd brought my iPod, so that was OK - but overall the wait wasn't worth it. The film wasn't terrible, it just wasn't very good. I laughed a few times, but the whole thing felt tired and lazy.

I gave you a warning...:)

I can see why they didn't pick this up (there are basically no really engaging characters apart from Pike - even Spock isn't interesting yet),

vina.jpg

I stand corrected. :)

I gave you a warning...bowdown

I know. ;) I forgot to mention, the score was boring too. I didn't notice any new themes, or new cues, in fact it was so samey it could have been tracked from the first two for all I know.

And it's not strictly a film, but this morning I watched the first Star Trek pilot - The Cage. I can see why they didn't pick this up (there are basically no really engaging characters apart from Pike - even Spock isn't interesting yet), though it's fascinating to watch, and very well made. I like the way they later incorporated it into The Menagerie episodes.

I remember that I liked the pilot. It felt less comedic and the crew seemed more vulnerable to life-threatening situations than Kirk & Co.

I watched "Scarface" for the first time on friday. It was like the B-class "Godfather" with the C-class-but-kicks-ass finale. Pacino was terrific (as almost always), Pfeifer was hot in her coldness. Mastrantonio had a haircut that resembled me the bride of the Frankenstein monster (I love 80s :baaa:) and the score was terrible with its minimalistically synthesized sound.

I watched "Scarface" for the first time on friday. It was like the B-class "Godfather" with the C-class-but-kicks-ass finale. Pacino was terrific (as almost always), Pfeifer was hot in her coldness. Mastrantonio had a haircut that resembled me the bride of the Frankenstein monster (I love 80s :baaa:) and the score was terrible with its minimalistically synthesized sound.

Yep, the film has a certain trashy feel to it.

The score, as terrible as it is, does fit the film very....very well.

It's ostentatious and vulgar, just like pretty much everyone in that film, and the location.

Yes, it did, yes it was.

That decade was replete with electronic scores of such a kind, which were worthless outside the movie, but inside they were really adding a something to the unique feel of the movie.

That evening I watched Carrie. Very powerful film, quite disturbing at times. Great acting all round, and really great direction - the prom sequence is just stunning. I'm never quite sure whether the ending (the dream) is absolutely perfect, or just a cheap shock - but I love it.

Perfect, definitely perfect.

I have to watch Carrie again. I've only seen it once, and wasn't impressed back then.

Yep, the film [scarface]has a certain trashy feel to it.

I still say that Carlito's Way is the serious (and much better) version of it. Though Scarface isn't bad (and probably better than it seemed to me when you don't see a poorly dubbed version).