What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

I always like to hope that it will get better. There are some good movies that I would have missed out on if I would have given up on them half way through. The Machinist is a good example. I thought the movie was mildly interesting, and that Bale was fascinating, but I didn't think it was going anywhere I'd want to see. Saw the rest of it, and, sure enough, the last few minutes showed you what the whole thing was really about, and made me think a bit.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't completely understand that. The Machinist has virtues outside its revelation at the end. I would've never switched that one off. I'm talking about movies that have no curiosities none whatsoever.

Alex

Well, with that one, I found it intriguing, but I thought it was going in a totally different direction.

I downloaded and watched Live Free Or Die Hard last night. I thought it was a fun entertaining film. All though I didn't think it was nearly as good as Die Hard and Die Hard With A Vengeance. As I said it was still fun film to watch.

I did something yesterday I do very rarely: stopped a movie in the middle. The movie was MGM's Grand Hotel (1932). Supposedly the first 'all star' movie, about people in a hotel in Berlin. After the first hour, it was going nowhere, was filled with performances typical of the time (which is to say, totally unengaging), the film just screams out "studio product!", lacking any heart or drive.

Must have been the reason behind it getting the Best Picture Oscar that year then!

A lot of the older movies you have to watch a couple of times to truly appreciate. They generally tend to come across as dull the first go around.

Except in reverse, perhaps.

And I have had bad first time experiences with classics that I eventually came to love (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Singin' in the rain), but this was a movie that I cannot even fathom what on earth is good about it. And reading opinions on the film, I've seen none that say anything beyond the fact that it is a classic about a hotel.

Incidentaly, the film happens to be the only best picture winner not to be nominated for anything else. Just a tidbit.

A lot of the older movies you have to watch a couple of times to truly appreciate. They generally tend to come across as dull the first go around.

Not necessarily true.

Just yesterday we had the local film festival opening. Saw a couple of documentries today.

First one was a film called The Conspiracy, about the coup that brought down the Popular Unity government in Chille, and it's head, Salvador Allende. The film is not terribly well made, but is fascinating in it's multi-faceted view of the coup. From the plotting of the CIA, Chillean Army, and a leasing newspaper to bring Allende down, through the industrialists who supported the coup, to the person brought in to rebuild Chile, and, on the other hand, Allende's Physician, his assistants, and various people later dubbed revolutionaries. The film was made by the stepson of Allende's closest friend and advisor, who commited suicide the day of the coup, shortly before Allenda himself. It has some very annoying camera effects, and jumps from one aspect to anothe back and forth, but, never the less, it is a very interesting documentry.

Second one was a doc I've wanted to see for a while: Directed by John Ford. This was a (semi-legendary) documentry shot by Peter Bogdanovich in the late 60's of a Q&A with Ford, together with interviews with several of his actors (John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart), narrated by Orson Welles. In 2006, Bogdanovich added current interviews with Spielberg, Scorsese, Eastwood, Walter Hill, and a bit of himself. The documenty is a fascinating look at Ford and his films, and it is rather touching to see and hear this filmmakers trying to come to grips with the greatness of the man's films, and the actors trying to come to grips with the man himself, as a director.

A bit long, a few too many clips of his films, and it doesn't quite know how to end it, but it is a marvelous look at a filmmaker, filled with wonderful vignettes. Hearing Stewart, Fonda, and Wayne telling anecdotes about Ford is priceless.

I'm trying to make my mind up as to which films I'll fit in over the week. In the program, the documentries seem to be the most interesting.

I watched The French Connection last night. It's not my favourite film, but it's one I can watch over and over and never get tired of. I'm more impressed by Hackman and Scheider's performances every time I see it.

I got my DVD of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in the post today. I haven't seen it in years, and I'll probably watch it tonight. Looking forward to it. :(

saw the Shooter last night, mildly amusing film.

Live Free or Die Hard - Watchable. Love the old school stunts, hated the desaturated look, thought the semi vs jet plane was overkill, didnt like the fact that Bruce did not remove the green shirt (he looks to have that trademark white singlet underneath it for pete's sake!), and thought that the story was just too 'big' and didnt have the Die Hard feel for most part. They should keep McClane trapped in one location with the baddie.

Watched a couple of Bond films.

For Your Eyes Only. I really like this one. It's my favourite Moore film by a long way, and pretty much the only one to attempt to stay true to Fleming's character. It's not the best of them, but the plot is engaging, the acting generally good, and I've always liked Topol's character. There were some nice moments of suspense (like the mountain climbing), and the action was well-handled. The score is a bit goofy in places, though it doesn't spoil the film at all for me. Most of the time it works fine. Two things I don't like: Bibi Dahl, stupid character has no place in a Bond film - and the pre-credits sequence, while not too bad in itself, is also out of place in this film. Overall a good and enjoyable film.

Then I watched The Man with the Golden Gun. I'm not sure why I picked that one off the shelf, but I am sure that I won't make that mistake again. It's AWFUL. Really, really, really bad. It may even replace A View to a Kill as my least favourite film in the series. AVTAK is just boring, this is really hurtfully bad. The acting is terrible, the script worse, the direction uninspired (and that's being kind), and the gags are puerile, even by Roger Moore Bond film standards. I can enjoy Barry's score on album, but even that feels out of place here. Such a shame Christopher Lee had to be in this film. He could have made a great Bond villain, had the script been anything close to competent.

Oh, and that slide whistle during the otherwise-great car-flip stunt... ;):pukeface::folder::flush::fouetaa::eek:;):down::banghead:

Oh, and that slide whistle during the otherwise-great car-flip stunt... :):pukeface::folder::flush::fouetaa::eek: :censored: :down::banghead:

Ah yes. That and Moore were what made me stop watching the Bond movies on TV.

Yes, part of the fun of the third one (which I enjoyed immensly) was that there was a much bigger playing field.

Indeed. The ending is dumb. But it really feels more New York-ish than a lot of other movies filmed there. And, besides, it has Jeremy Irons wdoing a really fun character.

Yeah, it make some great use of New York locations.

It's a pity it finishes in Canada.

It would've been better if all of it was filmed in NYC, but what's wrong with Canada?

The Prestige.

typical Christopher Nolan film, uneven performances, muddled storytelling, choppy direction. interesting and uneven.

the ending was pleasantly disturbing, but I still did not like the twist ending,

turned what was a film about illusion into a scifi fantasy/horror mishmass.

now I must seek out the illusionist, hopefully that will be more satisfying

The Prestige.

typical Christopher Nolan film, uneven performances, muddled storytelling, choppy direction. interesting and uneven.

the ending was pleasantly disturbing, but I still did not like the twist ending,

I thought it was okay. I kind of saw the ending from a mile away, but it was a neat trick.

It would've been better if all of it was filmed in NYC, but what's wrong with Canada?

Nothing is wrong with Kanadia.

But the film has a real New York feel to it, as Morlock indicated, so it just feels a bit funny when the location shifts.

Even more weirder, the original ending took place in Europe.

Based on what is the above describing your typical Nolan film? Fine, Batman suffered from a bit of muddled storytelling and choppy direction (towards the end). It's still a terrific movie, and I don't think the performances are at all uneven. And Memento and Insomnia are almost entirely successful, also with terrific performances.

Me neither. The film lost me after the second twist. THIS is the first Nolan film that I feel your above derisions fit.

It's better looking, and better sounding, and has a couple of fun supporting performances. But, in the end, it's a pretty dumb story. And the main character is so enigmatic, it is irritating.

It's better looking, and better sounding, and has a couple of fun supporting performances. But, in the end, it's a pretty dumb story. And the main character is so enigmatic, it is irritating.

The Prestige aims much higher with its more complex story and its less simplistic characters. I think the film just doesn't take time enough to make a lasting impression. There's is too much MTV editing going on, propably to prevent MTV audiences from leaving. I agree that The Illusionist has a dumb story but what do you mean with "better looking"? And what do you mean with "enigmatic"? And why is "enigmatic" irritating?

Alex- not an Edward Norton fan.

He was outstanding in Fight Club, very good in Primal Fear and very good in Keeping the Faith. I also liked him in The Score, although at that point he basically seemed to be repeating his standard role. Oh, and he was also outstanding in American Citizen X. Aside from that, I haven't seen any Norton movies yet I think.

The Prestige.

I thought it was okay. I kind of saw the ending from a mile away, but it was a neat trick.

no you didn't drax, sorry but thats not true

you can't have seen that the end would be a scifi twist until they revealed the cat and the hats

as for the uneven performances I think I may be too hard on Bale since he is in essence playing two characters and he is subtly different, I missed that. I will watch it again. Still Nolan does not shoot a pretty film, he lacks a good eye compared to other directors

Nope, I saw it coming. I was pretty sure that other dude with the hat and white beard was Bale because Hugh Jackman was at first speculating that he had a twin for his switching door act, and the way he comforted the daughter when the other Bale and the wife were arguing. By the end, I knew they'd hang one Bale, but there'd still be one left.

Still Nolan does not shoot a pretty film, he lacks a good eye compared to other directors

I don't think it's Nolan's goal to make nice and pretty images. BTW, it's the director of photography who does the shooting. Wally Pfister, Nolan's cinematographer, has already been nominated two times for an Oscar (The Prestige and Batman Begins). Not bad, I would say.

Alex

Nope, I saw it coming. I was pretty sure that other dude with the hat and white beard was Bale because Hugh Jackman was at first speculating that he had a twin for his switching door act, and the way he comforted the daughter when the other Bale and the wife were arguing. By the end, I knew they'd hang one Bale, but there'd still be one left.

yeah I can see that I did too, but you could not have seen the transporter malfuction that created the double each time, that was not something you could see coming.

The prestige has the best last shot of 2006.

Which one was that? I personally loved the closing shot in The Departed.

I agree that The Illusionist has a dumb story but what do you mean with "better looking"?

I enjoyed what I saw on screen more. I felt the choice of making it look like a silent movie was terrific, gave it a wonderful mood.

And what do you mean with "enigmatic"? And why is "enigmatic" irritating?

I found it quite annoying how everything about him was giving off this all-important, mysterious aura. He wasn't that interesting a character. Rufus Sewell, now him I liked. And Paul Giammatti was fun.

Saw a few more films at the local festival.

Brando. A superb TCM produced documentry on Brando. A terrific, entertaining, engaging, and elightening look at this most iconic of actors. Whole new respect for the man and his craft. Highly recomended for anyone interesting in the man or acting.

The Namesake. I felt like something different after a few documentries...so I saw this very nice film by Mira Nair, about an Indian couple that moves to the US, and the story of their family and children. Very likable movie. Goes a bit off for me at the end.....but I thought it was very pleasant, and at times, quite poignant. Excellent performances by Tabu and Irfan Khan (famous Bollywood actors). They are very convincing in aging the 30 years.

Lovely, heartwarming tale. ***/****.

Elegy of Life: Rostropovich, Vishnevskaya. This documentry, by Russian director Aleksandr "Russian Ark" Sokurov, is about the Russian Cellist Slava Rostropovich, and his wife, Galina Vishnevskaya. Rostropovich passed away in April of this year.

I will start off with the bad. Well, it's pretty bad. This is a shoddily made documentry. Many terrible questions, bad editing, very annoying effects, showing images that have nothing to do with what's on screen, dull and badly written narration. That's the bad.

But...than again, like all documentries, it's all about the subjects. And Sokurov has himself two wonderful subjects. Both are so lively, vivacious, humurous. The segments taking place at their golden wedding anniversary are utterly charming, dancing the most terrible, yet most lovable, tango I've ever seen. And Rostropovich is terrific when Sokurov actually talks to him about music...talking about his tastes, the difference between composer's listening and performer's listening, his work with Shostakovich and Prokofiev- there are some terrific stuff in there. His story about Prokofiev's hatred for Mahler is hillarious (Prokofiev called it a sickness, pleaple liking Mahler. Called it 'Mahleria").

And, it was interesting seeing the rehearsals for a premiere of a Pendrecki cello concerto, with Rostropovich on cello, Seiji Ozawa conducting (Ozawa was a student), and Pendrecki sitting on the side, listening.

Badly made doc, but there's a good half an hour in there of some good talking.

Week 26:

108. Look, Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman (2006)

I wasn't sure if I should really count this one since it's a straight-to-DVD documentary, but I want to give it some props. I'm not that big on Superman, but if there was ever anything you wanted to know, you're likely to find it in this documentary. Covering everything from its creation to its 2006 return to the cinema, this feature-length doc offers a great look at the superhero's life, both on and off the screen. If you have an interest in Superman, comic books, or just the history of a long-running franchise, go see this documentary.

Week 27:

109. Layer Cake (2004)

British gangster movies are awesome. Really, they can just be so much fun. You've got great character actors playing nasty villains and so on. This film of course has gotten rather a bit of post-release publicity, basically being the film that got Craig the role of 007 (although I'm sure there were many other factors to it), including a scene where his character pretends he's Bond by sneaking around corners with a gun.

That being said, it's still a fine film on its own. Craig gives an excellent performance and I got giddy the moment I saw Michael Gambon's name on the opening credits - he does not disappoint. Fun film, with a good cast. Not a classic, but recommended for an afternoon viewing.

110. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Special Extended Edition (2003/2004)

This is a long movie. And it's even longer because some of the scenes that were put back in are rather redundant. I have to say, they're still nice to see. Ian McKellen has a lengthy bit of exposition put back in that's really better left on the cutting room floor. But it doesn't matter, because a) you're prepared for this kind of thing when you watch the extended edition and b) McKellen could read the phone book and still make it sound like it was the most important thing ever in the history of the universe and more.

I also have to say I can't wait for the complete recordings to come out. The score grabbed my attention several times during this viewing with little moments I hadn't even noticed were there before. Can't wait to have that lovely green box in my hands later this year. ;)

108. Look, Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman (2006)

I wasn't sure if I should really count this one since it's a straight-to-DVD documentary, but I want to give it some props. I'm not that big on Superman, but if there was ever anything you wanted to know, you're likely to find it in this documentary. Covering everything from its creation to its 2006 return to the cinema, this feature-length doc offers a great look at the superhero's life, both on and off the screen. If you have an interest in Superman, comic books, or just the history of a long-running franchise, go see this documentary.

I understand the nature of the subject matter, and not everyone likes Superman as much as I do, but I still would have liked less happy-sappy, conformist moments about 20th century in America and more rigor in the facts that were presented. Plus, most of the interviewed individuals were there so you could see their faces (Seinfeld, Dean Cain, Brandon Routh... and was Shaquille O'Neill in there?), not because they had anything remotely interseting to say.

Funny how Smallville is heralded as the most decent incursion into myth on TV, while Lois and Clark (which, crummy as it was, featured more interesting character dynamics, overall performances, and had much more charisma) is dismissed as 'a romantic comedy where Superman happens to show up once in a while', making it look like an oddity (much like the hilarious bit about the 70's musical).

I guess you're right about that. Hm. Perhaps I was more impressed by the history of the subject (which I had very little idea of before seeing this) than the actual quality of the documentary itself.

Oh well.

Yeah, being a geek sucks the fun out of most things, even if it is a documentary that's geeky and mostly fun to begin with.

Still, it has it's moments. And Layer Cake was very fun the first time around. Second time, it was already wearing thin, though Kenneth Carnham is always fun to watch. And Craig is pretty good. No clue how Vaughn went from this to Stardust, though (I am EAGERLY awaiting that one. Big Neil Gaiman fan. Reading American Gods at the moment.)

That leaves me remarkably unsurprised and unbothered.

Felt like seeing Shawshank Redemption again. Probably as good as schmaltz get. It just works every time. Great performances, good dialogue, masterful cinematography, terrific understated score, and, in general, it feels like it was directed very confidently.

BTW- a question about the score. I've read in a number of places, that there is one climactic cue in the film that differs in one note from the album. Which note is this, in which cue- anyone know? I don't know the album too well (I have a hard time listening to it after the main theme...such a beautiful piece, that the first few cues almost seem like a let-down).

****/****.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was the last film I watched. This is my second favorite original series crew film. Leonard Rosenman's score which I like also for it fits very well for the film. This film is always enjoyable for me.