What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

I don't understand why you think a highly influential work is not good. Great art inspires and keeps on inspiring. Sometimes I have the feeling that you like to disagree just for the fun of it.

I did not say it was not good. I'm saying that when you're influence is generaly cheap knock-offs, it's nothing to brag about. I am not aware of any good films influenced by Alien, and only one directly influenced by Blade Runner (Dark City, which you're no fan of).

And I disagree simply because I think you give those two Scott movies too much credit at the expense of many other movies.

I saw Eastern Promises and Sleuth (2007).

Eastern Promises- Very good, but this is one film I felt was far too short. Too little time spent with the two main characters- the only main characters I completely 'felt' were the two showy roles, Armin Muehler-Stahl's and Vincent Cassel's. It's a shame, since the movie really drew me in. Viggo is every bit as good as people have said. I got the feeling that he was doing something here that was even more impressive than his mightily impressive last outing with Cronenberg (Which I love, I think it is one of the most complete movies made in recent years), but was missing some scenes. Flawless Russian and Russian accent. I was afraid he'd empty himself for the role, like DeNiro did sometimes earlier in his career, but this is a full character. Naomi Watts is fine, but she really doesn't have all that much to do, I felt.

The film is good in how it raises the issue of Women (girls, actually) trafficing.

I really liked how it (to me) quite obviously wanted to bring The Godfather to mind, not as a homage, but as a study of the contrasts. Quite bold, actually. It seems to be trying to point out how the Godfather's character (the DeNiro/Brando one) is really a fantasy. You dont' become the head of a Mafia family through being a nice, moral man. And the final shot, which obviously brings the great final scene of The Godfather to mind, is an excellent way of posing a question to you, the question of Viggo's character.

Production values are good across the board, namely Peter Suschitsky's cinematography. Shore's score is generalyl very helpful, but there were a couple of scenes where the solo violin felt a bit cloying.

Very interesting movie, but one critically missing some meat. ***/****.

Sleuth (2007). Weird movie. I did not like the look or design, even though I guess it was effective. It is what it's made out to be, two actors acting. At various times I loved what I saw, but mroe often than not, I did not. I've never seen the original, but I hope (and suspect) it wasn't nearly as dark as this one was. It had a very heavy feeling to it, when, really, it's a fluffy piece of showmanship.

Can't really judge it as a film. Dont' know why Branagh wanted to do it.

The score was effective, reminded me of the 'Art and the minister' theme from Doyle's Needful Things.

**/****.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not say it was not good. I'm saying that when you're influence is generaly cheap knock-offs, it's nothing to brag about.

First, that's not true and second, Alien and Blade Runner did more than that. To quote Roger Ebert who added The Final Cut to his list of Great Movies:

"This is a seminal film, building on older classics like "Metropolis" or "Things to Come," but establishing a pervasive view of the future that has influenced science fiction films ever since. Its key legacies are: Giant global corporations, environmental decay, overcrowding, technological progress at the top, poverty or slavery at the bottom -- and, curiously, almost always a film noir vision. Look at "Dark City," "Total Recall," "Brazil," "12 Monkeys" or "Gattaca" and you will see its progeny."

And these are only a few of the obvious. Blade Runner, Scott's signature film, influenced not only sci-fi but also film in general, anime, MTV and architecture, etcetera.

The list of films that Alien influenced is quite endless. Danny Boyle's Sunshine being one of the recent ones.

Alex

First, that's not true and second, Alien and Blade Runner did more than that. To quote Roger Ebert who added The Final Cut to his list of Great Movies:

Come on, you've gotta be kidding.

"This is a seminal film, building on older classics like "Metropolis" or "Things to Come," but establishing a pervasive view of the future that has influenced science fiction films ever since. Its key legacies are: Giant global corporations, environmental decay, overcrowding, technological progress at the top, poverty or slavery at the bottom -- and, curiously, almost always a film noir vision. Look at "Dark City," "Total Recall," "Brazil," "12 Monkeys" or "Gattaca" and you will see its progeny."

I disagree about Gattaca, I agree about Dark City (although it was far, far more influenced by Metropolis). The other ones are nothing to brag about. Maybe three good movies came out of it. And I fail to see how films in general, MTV, or architecture were inspired by it, but even if they were....you make too big a deal, and you're fanboyism is so unappealing and unconvincing...I'd hate to have you defending a film I loved to this extent. It is not the only film to deal with the issues it presented, the 25 years seems to have given people time to chisel every single possible flaw of it into an amazing plus. Blade Runner is not the be-all, end-all of motion pictures.

I'm literally quoting Ebert and now I'm kidding and fanboy-ish? Not only do I find your last post very unfriendly (I don't like the insinuations you're making), it also shows that you know very little about a director you love so much. It also shows that you know very little of film. Your goal of trying to say that being influential doesn't matter is amazingly ignorant. Influential is influential. The quality of the movies that borrowed from Blade Runner does not matter since your opinion is subjective. For instance, there are plenty of people that love Brazil. It's very well respected.

gattaca15.jpg

This is not Blade Runner-ish? Gee Morlock, do you actually understand the word "influential"?

Wait until I post some A.I. photos! Of course, that's not precisely a film "to brag about".

Alex

I saw Blade runner 2 or 3 times in the movies with different folks and never liked the movie, and never will, its never connected with me some of my friends are like Alex, but even seeing it several times didn't change the fact it was a boxoffice bomb.

it is visually unique but it lacks a soul

I saw Blade runner 2 or 3 times in the movies with different folks and never liked the movie, and never will, its never connected with me some of my friends are like Alex, but even seeing it several times didn't change the fact it was a boxoffice bomb.

That's cool, Joey.

Box office returns mean little to the quality of a film.

no success and quality don't always go hand in hand but in the summer it did often.

ET, Poltergeist, Wrath of Khan, An Officer and a Gentleman, Victor Victoria, all financial critical and financial success.

All with more heart and soul than BR.

Box office returns mean little to the quality of a film.

no success and quality don't always go hand in hand but in the summer it did often.

ET, Poltergeist, Wrath of Khan, An Officer and a Gentleman, Victor Victoria, all financial critical and financial success.

All with more heart and soul than BR.

And all not very relevant today.

sure it is. BR has a fan following, that is not the same as a general public following. Its a film for film geeks only.

I'm literally quoting Ebert and now I'm kidding and fanboy-ish?

Going to Ebert, a critic you don't like in general, does strike me as humorous, yes.

Not only do I find your last post very unfriendly (I don't like the insinuations you're making),

What insinuations? I was clearly saying that it bugs me how you put this film on a pedastal that it is a moot point to say anything the least bit disparaging about.

I realized after posting that that it came out rather more harshly than I'd intended. I apologize, I value your posts. This place would be a dull place indeed without your additions.

it also shows that you know very little about a director you love so much.

Saying that a director has many things to offer besides his second and third films, that they are not the only works of the director worth praising, does not mean that I am negating these films. But I resent people's belittiling the rest of his achievments to point out how utterly perfect Blade Runner is.

It also shows that you know very little of film. Your goal of trying to say that being influential doesn't matter is amazingly ignorant. Influential is influential. The quality of the movies that borrowed from Blade Runner does not matter since your opinion is subjective. For instance, there are plenty of people that love Brazil. It's very well respected.

Influential is influential, that's exactly what I'm saying. Easy Rider was influential. Star Wars was influential. Holloween was influential. The Bourne films are influential. Heaven's Gate was influential. The question is, how were they influential? Some of them were influential in a great way, some in not good way, some in a destructive way. And as far as I can tell, Blade Runner was influential in the sci-fi genre, as a whole. Yet of the hundreds of films it may have influenced, maybe 3-4 are good. Influential is influential. Not necasserily a good or bad thing.

Blade Runner is a great philosophical question. Now that I've seen it on the big screen, I can also see the power of it's look and feel. It's got very good performances. For me, it still doesn't click as a completely satisfying motion-picture. And I dislike the attitude that it everything in it was created from scratch, it had no predecessors, and the attitude that says that anything that came after it that bears it any resemblance is not good, and, mainly, I resent the attitude of 'if you don't love this, you must not really know or care about movies, as this is THE movie'.

it is visually unique but it lacks a soul

I always found Blade Runner boring. I fell asleep during a portion of it I think.

Going to Ebert, a critic you don't like in general, does strike me as humorous, yes.

I'm quoting Ebert because I know you have such deep respect for him. We always joked about that and know you're playing dumb? Hm, I'm wondering if you're indeed just "playing" it.

I always found Blade Runner boring. I fell asleep during a portion of it I think.

Ah, yes, boring. How interesting!

I'm quoting Ebert because I know you have such deep respect for him. We always joked about that and know you're playing dumb? Hm, I'm wondering if you're indeed just "playing" it.

It read like you were bringing this 'esteemed critic' into your corner, because he happened to write exactly the words you wanted to present, when you generally disagree with him.

Ebert dropped the ball years ago for me, he's so extreme. Dropping **** at the drop of a pin. I did that for a long time, until one day I finally realized to think things over a bit more, forget gut instinct.

I prefer the term film fans.

most people are film fans, most people never embraced BR.

its a film with a special film audience

Actually, I'd say Blade Runner has appealed to more than just a niche group. I know several people who liked it and are not film-junkies.

Actually, I'd say Blade Runner has appealed to more than just a niche group. I know several people who liked it and are not film-junkies.

Maybe it's too popular these days. There's the film fans, the sci-fi fans, the cyberpunk fans (to them BR set the genre)... According to Warner, Blade Runner - The Final Cut is their most important DVD release of the year. And looking at the sheer size of the project, I can see they really mean business. I don't see Poltergeist or any of the other so-called films with a soul (how ridiculous) getting the same royal, grand scale treatment. Of course, Blade Runner always made a lot of money for them via the home video market.

Alex

Ladyhawk: A fairy tale directed by Richard Donner with some good moments but nothing to write home about. The action music is mostly terrible, even though I admire the attempt. Even my son laughed out loud when the rock drums cued in.

Alex

I'm amazed by how quickly I came to like Blade Runner - since I really hated it the first time! I think I actually fell asleep. It didn't even intrigue me (unlike some movies that I didn't like first time round but came to love later - most Kubrick films, Chinatown, The Godfather II, Alien - I didn't enjoy them the first time, but they left me wanting to see them again and "get" them). Not sure why I watched it (BR) again, but I'm glad I did, because with one more viewing I really liked it, and a couple more after that it became one of my absolute favourites.

I watched the original Sleuth again yesterday. Loved it again.

Ladyhawk: A fairy tale directed by Richard Donner with some good moments but nothing to write home about. The action music is mostly terrible, even though I admire the attempt. Even my son laughed out loud when the rock drums cued in.

I recall liking Rutger Hauer in it a lot. The movie was totally ruined by the music, though.

The Apartment. Lovely, lovely film. One of the best romantic comedies ever? I think so. ****/****.

Popeye. Bad, bad film. Worst Robert Altman movie ever? I think so. The songs are probably the worst I've ever heard in a musical. Although the inimitable Shelley Duvall is a wonderful Olive Oyl. */****.

Miller's Crossing. Man....this movie never fails to thrill me. One great scene after another. Best work Barry Sonnenfeld has done. Fantastic Burwell score, quite impressive for his orchestral debut.

Thank god for the Coen Bros.

****/****.

I think it's next to impossible to name the Coens' absolute best. Some say Fargo, some say Miller's Crossing.

I'm a big fan.

Miller's Crossing. Man....this movie never fails to thrill me. One great scene after another. Best work Barry Sonnenfeld has done. Fantastic Burwell score, quite impressive for his orchestral debut.

Thank god for the Coen Bros.

****/****.

Hrmph.

Ebert dropped the ball years ago for me, he's so extreme. Dropping **** at the drop of a pin. I did that for a long time, until one day I finally realized to think things over a bit more, forget gut instinct.

Didnt he once say that the stars are a relative thing? His specific example was the 4 stars for Spider-man 2 is not the same 4 stars for The Godfather

Oooooo, let's all be quiet and hear what Killjoy McNegative has to say. Go on Killjoy, make Baby Jesus cry. :lol:

coen brother films are an acquired taste.

personally I never like their flavor.

I finally saw 3:10 to Yuma yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm interested to see the original.

The same here, though I am not totally convinced by the finale. Great performances by both Crowe and Bale (which is standard). I also liked the cinematography. Beltrami's music is heavily Morricone-inspired, but except few last cues it doesn't work outside the picture.

, the cyberpunk fans (to them BR set the genre)...

I always thought The Stars My Destination was the piece of art that set the cyberpunk genre, but I could be wrong.

I always thought The Stars My Destination was the piece of art that set the cyberpunk genre, but I could be wrong.

We're not talking literature where The Stars My Destination most definitely is a forerunner. Naturally, the novel Blade Runner is based upon (Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?) also predates the film by 14 years. Genres are always first explored in books, especially when it comes to sci-fi. It was not untill the 80s when cyberpunk really became a film genre.

Anyone agree with me that Blood Simple is their best?

Anyone? :lol:

Nope! Miller's Crossing all the way!

even I would agree with that.

had one of the best trailers too.

And a great Irish influenced score by Carter Burwell. Much better than what that hack John T. Williams wrote for his "Irish" based movies.

We're not talking literature where The Stars My Destination most definitely is a forerunner. Naturally, the novel Blade Runner is based upon (Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?) also predates the film by 14 years. Genres are always first explored in books, especially when it comes to sci-fi. It was not untill the 80s when cyberpunk really became a film genre.

I last I heard, they're devoloping a film adaptation of Stars My Destination

Superman Returns

I know this film was generally poorly recieved around here when it came out, and I'm guessing the fact that it's never mentioned means that's still true. I still really like it, though. It's not perfect, and it's certainly not as good as the original, but it's the best Superman since. There are some great homages to the original classic, and give credit to Singer and the gang for actually trying to develop the characters instead of giving us the usual runaround. The son thing is a nice twist in this one, but it's a dangerous place to go for future films. Though at this point it looks like there won't be any future films anytime soon.

I said it when it came out and I'll say it now: Brandon Routh is amazing, at least as Superman. He looks the part, he sounds the part, he is the part. He works less well as Clark, but since the way this film is written Clark is much more "Superman in disguise" than more his own character as he was in the Reeve films it doesn't hurt as much. I never thought anyone could follow Gene Hackman as Luthor, but Kevin Spacey does it. A great performance on his own merits, with a different Luthor, one with a harder edge after years in prison. I was underwhelmed by Kate Bosworth's Lois, but her scenes with Routh work fine chemistry wise and I've never been a big Margot Kidder fan either so Lois has always kind of been an "she is what she is" character for me. Parts of the film are beautiful as well, very well shot.

The score, though, really hurts the movie. Bland, uninspired, and poor use of Williams' themes to boot (too much of the ostinato, the changes to the love theme, the butchering of the Kent theme). And that generic female chorus in every. single. cue. If only Singer had said the hell with it and tried to get Williams instead of giving the clearly out of his depth Ottman the task of imitating Williams.

I liked Superman Returns when it came out. I like it a bit less now. It just got a bit too heavy in the second bit, too much of Superman posing around, too much self importance. I enjoyed the score, its probably as good as Ottman could have done (although the extended ostinato post-plane sequence still irritates me). I do feel that the cast is a tad too young though for the versions of the characters they are playing, especially Bosworth. Her Lois comes across as a more mature, less naive one compared to Kidder's but she looks like she came straight out of college. :S The last thing is that Routh doesnt actually get to say much. Even my kid brother was asking why Superman 'doesnt talk'.

Btw, isnt there a sequel due in 2009 or something?

American Gangster.

Entertaining movie,well acted and filmed,never boring,but totally devoid of instantly classic scenes that you'll remember for a long time.

Brandon Routh is amazing, at least as Superman. He looks the part, he sounds the part, he is the part.

And he has zero charisma. One of the worst movies out there!

Brandon Routh is amazing, at least as Superman. He looks the part, he sounds the part, he is the part.

Oh that's rich! coming from a guy who has zero charisma himself.

I have no need for it. I'm not Superman.

I have no need for it. I'm not Superman.

perhaps, but you are overly critical of this film.

To say its one of the worst every is a complete exaggeration. It makes you a farce.