What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

Memoirs of a Geisha. My thoughts, at least for now, are the usual we've read over and over: great looking, excellent score that's mixed loudly, a script that's so-and-so... Overall, I had a very good two and a half hours in the theater.

I'm very curious about the score's chronological order now, though. Not that there's anything wrong with the album listening experience.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to see it again but I know that there is some tracking in of The Chariman's Waltz. So it ends up having 3 appearances though not to completion until the end credits. Parts of Track 13 get tracked in. Track 1 makes two appearances at the beginning I think or at least the cello part of it comes in again. Basically, I'm not answering the question except to say that it would not be a "clean" listing. It was good that the film actually erred in the direction of more music. Maybe somebody realized one of the things the film had most going for it.

- Adam

Memoirs of a Geisha. My thoughts, at least for now, are the usual we've read over and over: great looking, excellent score that's mixed loudly, a script that's so-and-so... Overall, I had a very good two and a half hours in the theater.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Thanks for the link Alex, next time I've got someone coming from the US, I'll be sure to have it on the top of my list (Amazon Used store doesn't ship here).

Saw Training Day a couple of days back. A B movie turned into something watchable by a great cast doing some of the best work of their career. Dumb movie, generally speaking, stupid finale. But Denzel and Hawke sure do keep you interested for the first 90 minutes or so. Washington does fantastic work with this very showy character. Hawke is underrated as the proverbial straight man. Great to see Scott Glenn doing something. Totally unconvincing and rings false at practicalyl every turn, This movie is recommended only for it's cast. **1/2/**** (Most probably zero stars without the cast).

I'd have to see it again but I know that there is some tracking in of The Chariman's Waltz. So it ends up having 3 appearances though not to completion until the end credits. Parts of Track 13 get tracked in. Track 1 makes two appearances at the beginning I think or at least the cello part of it comes in again. Basically, I'm not answering the question except to say that it would not be a "clean" listing. It was good that the film actually erred in the direction of more music. Maybe somebody realized one of the things the film had most going for it.

I said it in my original review, and I'll say it again- they were wrong to end the film with the Chairman's Waltz. A fine tune, which fits the initial cast's credits, but it was the wrong music for people to leave the theater with. The sublime End Credits piece from the CD used after the Waltz is the best possible way I could imagine to leave the theater, concluding the filmic and the musical experience beautifuly. That really dissapointed me.

It's kind of ironic- With Munich, I heard the end credits track was not exactly the end credits of the film, and I was bummed out. With Geisha, I heard nothing about the end credits, and was looking forward to hearing the end credits track in the theater as soon as the film was over. In the end, Munich's end credits track began before the film ended, and made for one of the most sublime musical moments ever in a Speilberg film, while Geisha's started a couple of minutes after the film was over, ruining what should have been one of hte most sublime and beautiful end credits segways ever.

Saw Training Day a couple of days back. A B movie turned into something watchable by a great cast doing some of the best work of their career. Dumb movie, generally speaking, stupid finale. But Denzel and Hawke sure do keep you interested for the first 90 minutes or so. Washington does fantastic work with this very showy character. Hawke is underrated as the proverbial straight man. Great to see Scott Glenn doing something. Totally unconvincing and rings false at practicalyl every turn, This movie is recommended only for it's cast.  **1/2/**** (Most probably zero stars without the cast).

Like I said, Sidney Lumet it is not.

I said it in my original review, and I'll say it again- they were wrong to end the film with the Chairman's Waltz. A fine tune, which fits the initial cast's credits, but it was the wrong music for people to leave the theater with. The sublime End Credits piece from the CD used after the Waltz is the best possible way I could imagine to leave the theater, concluding the filmic and the musical experience beautifuly. That really dissapointed me.

It's kind of ironic- With Munich, I heard the end credits track was not exactly the end credits of the film, and I was bummed out. With Geisha, I heard nothing about the end credits, and was looking forward to hearing the end credits track in the theater as soon as the film was over. In the end, Munich's end credits track began before the film ended, and made for one of the most sublime musical moments ever in a Speilberg film, while Geisha's started a couple of minutes after the film was over, ruining what should have been one of hte most sublime and beautiful end credits segways ever.

I see your point. I liked that JW scored the cast portion like it was part of the movie. Not everybody stays around for it but its not like the typical end credits in that the actors are introduced with clips from the film and then the rest of the screen shows water ripples. So I think JW probably approached it like he would a scene of the movie. The water ripples, in particular, suggests something more delicate musically and the celeste part which provides counterpoint, in particular, seems designed to convey a crystaline echo effect. And then the end credit music comes in exactly when the screen goes black and the credits roll. But its true that lot of people leaving the theater won't hear that part but I sitll liked his approach there.

The Chariman's Waltz in the body of the film seemed a little more questionable though it basically worked. I just had to wonder what his original approach would have been. There was some definite tracking going on but it did give the theme a much closer association with The Chairman.

Munich was a little disappointing. I liked the way it finishes the film, as you said. But then it just fades away with an awkward ending and goes right into the cello version of the other theme when the credits start. And then back into A Prayer for Peace. I think I would have preferred the whole End Credits version as it is on the disc.

- Adam

Thunderball

Very good, but I liked Goldfinger a little better. Good score, and I enjoyed the return of what I think is the Spectre Theme, which I first heard in From Russia With Love. I don't really understand the significance of the title. I can't think what it means. I think they explained it, but I didn't get it. :?

~Sturgis

This seems the most appropriate thread to post this in:

A year ago, during Super Bowl 39, we saw the first teaser for WotW.

~Sturgis, who realized that today :mrgreen:

The Machinist

It's like a modern age Hitchcock film, loaded with subtext. I need to see this again to make a full judgement

Phone Booth

I was surprised to find out that this was originally an idea thought up by the screenwriter and Hitchcock, I enjoy the flick more than others, but mostly because Sutherland is so awesome in the role.

Of course Sutherland is awesome, it's all about his voice (and I just recently saw a German preview for this on TV, with that horrible dubbing voice of his). The movie is really good, too, though perhaps a little overlong.

Marian - who always gives a bonus to real-time movies, as mentioned before. 8O

poster_Downfall.jpg

Probably one of the most instantly impressive films I've ever seen. Seriously, this is probably in my top 3 favorite films I've seen in the last year. Just about everything about it is perfect. I can't praise it enough and if I did I would sound redundant.

Justin - Who even liked the fact that it was in German.

Probably one of the most instantly impressive films I've ever seen. Seriously, this is probably in my top 3 favorite films I've seen in the last year. Just about everything about it is perfect. I can't praise it enough and if I did I would sound redundant.

It is a pretty amazing film. But what is that last comment about? the film would have sucked if it were in any other language!

I saw Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World. I love how delibarately paced this movie is. It doesn't feel the need to rush to another action scene or something like that. It really transports you. Makes you feel what it might have been like to be on a British Man-o-war.

CORPSE BRIDE - wickedly good fun and, dare I say it aloud, a great Elfman score with some great songs to boot. Region 2 dvd has the isolated score. Hope it does well at Oscar time.

Der Untergang is one of the best films I have seen in a while and it is one of the few films that have left me speechless for a long while after the viewing. A thought provoking and powerful film and as you say praise sounds redundant. I urge everybody to see it.

CORPSE BRIDE - wickedly good fun and, dare I say it aloud, a great Elfman score with some great songs to boot.  Region 2 dvd has the isolated score.  Hope it does well at Oscar time.

I had a good time with the film. Wonderful score, good songs, one of the best main theme's Elfman's come up with. I hope it'll take the oscar, but Wallace and Gromit seems to have too much press to be ignored.

Morlock- who doesn't think W&G is particularly noteworthy, and found it rather forgettable.

I haven't seen Howl's yet, but Spirited Away is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. The look and flow of the animation is unbelievable, and there is an amazing level of realism in the movements of the characters that I've never seen in other animation. This is truly a labor of love for the animators.

It would be great if it was just the animation that was terrific, but the experience as a whole, with the story, dialogue and nuance, makes it a wonderful film.

Tim

King Kong

I liked it, the first two acts weren't too long i thought. The special effects were amazing as expected. However i have a couple of problems with the movie, its realism is nonexistent. Kong is running with the girl and flopping her around like a rag doll and her neck and spine don't break? Yeah right. Also everything on the island is big, bigger than they are in real life. The bugs are big, the flies are big and Kong is big yet the T-Rex is regular size! WTF!?!!!?!?!. How convenient that this mutation didn't affect Kong's opponents in the movie. Another thing. the T-Rex is eating this juicy lizard that's at least 15 foot long, the blood is dripping down his jaw but he throws it down and chases the girl. Things like that do not happen no one especialy animals will throw away a large meal for a small one. It would be if one of us were eating a juicy chicken and we see a sausage roll by, we drop the chicken and we fight for the sausage. It doesn't happen.

Brokeback Mountain

I liked this movie, it didn't blow me away but i thought it was good. I expected the first act would be just flirting, Jake noticing Heath's body or the oher way around. There is none of that, they literaly talk about life and heard sheep for about 40 minutes. And then BAM they start having sex. It is such a shock that even i was a little taken aback. Heath just shoved Jake's face into the mat and rips off his pant and well you can fill in the rest. I have to tip my hat to those two though, the chemistry they have in the movie is very intense, they kiss so passionately you never really question their love. I hated the cinmetography, Lee missed out on capturing some of America's most beautiful landscapes, he should have made a bit more effort.

Morlock- who doesn't think W&G is particularly noteworthy, and found it rather forgettable.

Out of interest, what did you think of the original 3 shorts?

Big fan.

Spirited Away, a movie by Hayao Miyazaki.  Never mind a review, just go see this movie.....NOW!

One of the very best animated films I've seen, if not the best. The score is fantastic. I saw Howel. It was amazing looking, and had ti moments, but I didn't feel worked too well as a film. I didn't care about the characters or their journey enough. Certainly not nearly as much as Spirited Away. I didn't really notice the score.

It's very refreshing to see that none of this year's oscar nominees for best animated feature was CG.

Why? if the best movie is CG- I wish it the best of luck. The Incredibles is a much better film than any of the one's nominated this year.

I hated the cinmetography, Lee missed out on capturing some of America's most beautiful landscapes, he should have made a bit more effort.

Let it never be said that me and HPFAN 2 never agree on anything. I, too, was unimpressed with the cinematography, and feel it was a missed opportunity.

As for King Kong- there is greatness there, but the film gets significantly worse with each viewing. A lot of the big events of the year were dissapointing- Kong, Munich, RoTS and of course the sucky GoF.

Eight days ago: Big Momma's House 2

:| C

Firewall

I absolutely loved this movie. It was just a perfect thriller. It's only 1 hour 45 minutes long, but it flows excellently. It had many really intense and thrilling scenes: when the boy couldn't breathe after Cox gave him those cookies,

~Sturgis, who couldn't help but notice that the youngest people in the theater after he and his friend were early 20's :?

A.I.

Like Gangs of New York, I hated this film the first few times I'd watch it. Now I actually like it a bit but it still depresses me. I really need to get the score.

The Brotherhood of War. A flawed but well made war film. I don't know if I particularly bought the changes in the characters. Specifically the older brothers sudden and perverse hostility. However it's a powerful film. Good but not great. BTW, the score sounded like SPR at several points.

Cast Away. I had totally forget how compelling and emotional this film is. This is probably Zemeckis's best film. I absolutly love every moment of it. The first 30 minutes set up Hank's character so well and the airplane scene is unbearably frightening. I can't praise this film enough. Without a doubt the best film of 2000.

Justin

A.I.

Like Gangs of New York, I hated this film the first few times I'd watch it. Now I actually like it a bit but it still depresses me. I really need to get the score.

I've spent a very long time thinking about and contemplating A.I., from my initial, bored reaction, through just about every other reaction any person has had to the film. I believe that it is a kind of skewed fairytale, that by it's misplaced sensibilities (the fairytale's, not the film's), makes some quite touching observations about what makes us human.

Cast Away. I had totally forget how compelling and emotional this film is. This is probably Zemeckis's best film. I absolutly love every moment of it. The first 30 minutes set up Hank's character so well and the airplane scene is unbearably frightening. I can't praise this film enough.

I've been wanting to see it again. But no matter how good it is, I cannot possibly imagine it being better than Forrest Gump.

Without a doubt the best film of 2000.

Faint praise, that. 2000 was the worst year for motion pictures I can remember. Even worse than 2003.

Saw Walk the Line. Not bad, but not memorable. Great, great performances, but.....it's not really interesting. It's not boring, the 2+ hours passed by smoothly, but I was not left with much other than the performances. It's very similar to Ray. I guess because I'm far more interested in Cash than I am in Charles, I liked this film a lot more, it is less manipulative, and I was thankful for having only one flashback in the film.

*** out of ****

Saw the extended editions of the first two LoTR films again, for the first time in a while. I must say, they are pretty tremendous, for me, better now than they were 3-4 years ago. I actually saw them in four sittings, each one about 100 minutes long. I find this is the best way to watch the films, if you cannot watch them all at once. I do not think the three films hold up individualy (at least the first two don't), but only as a whole, so I find watching them in six parts is the most practical and most enjoyable way to go.

Any way, a few small observations I had, none of them groundbreaking, I'm sure.

FoTR:

The opening is fantastic. The narration sets the stage wonderfully.

A really tiny thing, but I just can't get over the choreography of the four Nazgul in the Prancing Pony, when theyapproach the beds ans raise the swords.

IMO Sean Bean gives the best performance in the series (well, aside from Andy Serkis, who is in a category by himself) as Boromir. I was never a big fan of his before FoTR, but he really wowed me over here. A lot of people talk abotu McKellen- but IMO he only really starts doing some work in RoTK. Over here- stick a beard and the right cotume on, and he's Gandalf, not much more to it. But Bean really impresses me and gets to me every time.

The Orc makeup in the films is superb. They really feel slimy and disgusting and garbagy. The Uruk-Hi are less convincing makeup wise, but the main Uruk-Hi is really fantastic in the early scenes in TTT ('meat's back on the menu, boys!').

IMO, Everything about Lothlorien is wrong, wrong, wrong. Wrong tone, wrong feel, wrong look. Galadriel is much creepier than anyone else in the films, especialy when she is smiling. Consequentaly, the music is all wrong, as well. It supports the imagery well...but because of that, also totally misses the feel of Lothlorien and the elves of Lothlorien. And I think the variation in TTT for Haldir and his archers also feels wrong. Doesn't feel victorious or positive in any way. I wanted to hug Haldir for coming, but that music kept him at a distance, made him seem very cold.

In general, I'm not too fond of Sean Astin as Sam. I think he does a good job, but he is often very huffy and annoying. But he has some lines, some by Tolkein, some new, that are just plain wonderful. I find it hard not to swell up when he says 'Of course you are. And I'm coming with you!'.

TTT:

I remember loving Gollum and being mightily impressed, but I was just wowed all over again this time. That scene, where it starts with Smeagol innocently fishing in the Forbidden Pool, singing to himself in a rather endearing fashion, and continues with Frodo's tricking him, ending with him curled up in the corner is Serkis/Gollum's best scene. It is just heartbreaking- you really feel pain for Smeagol.

While I remember not liking him in the past, I really liked Gimli this time around. Yes, he has been reduced to a comic sidekick, but there are enough action heroes over here, and he is really lovable and endearing with the cracks about his height and so forth. His freindship with Legolas was important to Tolkein, and that really shines in the films (How can one not love "He was twitching because he's got MY AX BURIED IN HIS NERVOUS SYSTEM!"?).

Merry was really annoying here- way...waaaaay too huffy in the entmoot scenes. I wanted to punch him out.

The Wargs are unconvincing.

I love the line "Your bodyguard?" "His Gardener.".

The Last March of The Ents is one of the more exciting passages in the films, especialy with that music.

I'll get to RoTK in the next few days.

I am not the biggest LoTR fan, but, I must say, I love being immersed in the world.

Morlock- who has finally picked up the books and started reading the series for the second time, after being thuroughly unimpressed the first time

Morlock 2- who hates being a LoTR liker, but can't help it

Brokeback Mountain

I hated the cinmetography, Lee missed out on capturing some of America's most beautiful landscapes, he should have made a bit more effort.

He would have had the movie not been filmed in CANADA! :D

Brokeback Mountain. I liked it very much. Wonderful cinematography and acting (specially Ledger, who is trully magnificent).

However, if this thing wins for best original score, I wil lose my faith in mankind. It only has 4 or 5 notes, played over and over again. The score's running time is very short also, less than 30 minutes, I reckon. If there's justice, Geisha will win the oscar.

Catch up time!

The Aviator. A massive production which chronicles the life and fall of Howard Hughes into madness. Scorsese does a good job overall on the film. Generally keeping the direction static in nature except for some of the FX heavy plane sequences. The madness sequences are really well done. Shore's score is acceptable but nothing spectacular (An exception might be taken with the final Hercules cue). IMO, the greatest thing about The Aviator are the performances. The film is chalk full of them. From Kate Beckinsale's solid performance as Ava Gardner to Alan Alda's strong work as Senator Brewster. The two stand out performance are of course Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes and Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn. IMO, both Oscar worthy performances. Also a nod to John Logan and his script is in order. Overall, a solid historical work with some interesting psychological elements throughout.

Snake Eyes. Not the greatest film but I could definitely see De Palma just having fun with the direction. Which is always a good thing. Visually the film is simply stunning. I love every minute of it. From the opening 15 minute monster shot to the final shot which actually finishes after the end credits have rolled the film is visual perfection. The story is also very engaging although somewhat predictable, particularly in regard with Gary Sinise's character. Nicolas Cage is just fun to watch in this movie. His character is well portrayed and the interaction between Cage and Sinise is powerful. David Koepp does a good job of weaving the films interacting story lines together. Ryuichi Sakamoto's score is full and orchestral with all the usual bells and whistles. Nothing that particular sticks in my mind but a solid effort. Overall, a really good film that is just a fun ride for those looking for a more shallow De Palma entry.

Blow Out. The film is definitely a solid entry for De Palma. Presenting some predictable to wild twists throughout the film. Much of the film runs as a fairly standard conspiracy picture. However, once John Lithgow steps on screen, all bets are off. This a fantastic character for Lithgow who is just great at it. Travolta is acceptable, however, I found Nancy Allen to be extremely annoying throughout the film. Even if the film as a whole is not spectacular you can be assured of at least one jaw dropping sequence simply because it has the words "Directed by Brian De Palma" in it. And to be sure there is indeed one. The last 10-15 minutes of the film is spectacular and really is what makes the film unique. A wonderful ending which I'd be willing to watch again and again. Check it out De Palma fans!

Justin - Who can type no more. :|

The Aviator. A massive production which chronicles the life and fall of Howard Hughes into madness. Scorsese does a good job overall on the film.

My favorite film from 2004.

Shore's score is acceptable but nothing spectacular (An exception might be taken with the final Hercules cue).

I think it is very good in the film, with some spectacular moments, and that it makes for one of the best soundtrack albums in recent years. The H-1 scene is one of the best scored flight sequences I've ever scene. In general, I feel Shore did a tremendous job on this, and I think it is unfortunate that more of his score was not used, especialy the mind blowing music written for the Stealth plane sequence, presented on the album as 'Icarus'. I love Scorsese, and think he is one of the best there is at choosing his projects (I love his last two films, and his next two sound great), but his choise in music is rather annoying sometimes. Using the Bach fugue for a second time in the film, over a new piece of music that is richer and infinately more appropriate.

Alan Alda's strong work as Senator Brewster.

I just loved him here.

The two stand out performance are of course Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes and Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn. IMO, both Oscar worthy performances.

Blanchett I wasn't thrilled with at first, but I've warmed up to her. Leo blew me away from the begining. IMO, his work here is for the pantheon. His best performance by a mile and half.

Overall, a solid historical work with some interesting psychological elements throughout.

I found it (obviously) to be more than that. It was one of the most fascinating bio-pics I've ever seen. Visually stunning (I love the colors at the begining), I thought it was a pretty amazing and even kind of noble look at this man -who is largely known for being a rich hypochondriac who didn't leave his room for 30 years, with some extravegant ventures early in his career (Mainly the Sproose Goose)- showing how he came to that, being a tribute to the man's earlier days, and, on a larger scale, being a clear and insightful look at the relationship between brilliance and madness.

That closing of the film is one of the most powerful I've ever seen, as well. How, at the moment of his greatest triumph, you see the madness creep in, with an amazing and poignant reminder of what is to come, all done with a closeup of Leo saying "Way of the Future".

I think that's enough gushing for today, don't you?

P.S.- I forgot to mention- the film is also the best paced biopic in recent times. About the same length as most (or even longer), it doesn't lag for any serious amount of time (although there are a few scenes that do). A well-edited film. Richly deserves the oscars it got (Making up in a small way to Dante Ferretti, after he was robbed out of the oscar for Gangs), and more.

Using the Bach fugue for a second time in the film, over a new piece of music that is richer and infinately more appropriate.

The Toccata and Fugue is really good though, but I agree that Icarus should've been used

For that scene, it is used very briefly, and is fine. 'Icarus' is really glorious in the scene. The Fugue was well used in the Hell's Angels shooting.

Ben Affleck's Daredevil? A 5?

Feeling positive today, are we, Alex?

I admit that I felt generous at the time. I thought it started out okay. It had some entertainment value.

BTW, Ben Affleck was the wrong choice for the part.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Funny but the film has some weaker moments here and there. I guess it's a little too much of the same. A bit like chewing too long on the same gum. The same level of excellence of Miller's Crossing it reaches not.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Shaun Of The Dead.

Hilarious britisch rom/zom/com, or was it zom/rom/com, that parodies not only the zombie genre, but also archetype british stereotypes seen in countless comedies and films.

Simon Pegg is very good as Shaun, a bit of a loser with a dead end job who can't really understand why his girlfriend objects to them spending to much time in their local pud.

Some of the best laughs come from Nick Frost as Ed, the useless room mate and best friend of Shaun.

The direction is fastpaced, the special effects gory and over the top, but never revolting, and amidst the comedy there are a few good scares too.

Music was effective in the film, especially the Queen songs, but nothing one would want to listen to outside the film./

A solid 3 out of 4

I must see that film. Perhaps I'll force one of my classmates to lend it to me...

Saw The Bone Collector. An okay thriller, that keeps you entertained for two hours, which is just about all a film like this needs to do, IMO.

One odd thing, though: if the killer followed all the murders in the book in chronological order, why did they need the clues at the last crime scene to figure out where the next murder was going to take place. Couldn't they have checked the book?