What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you either saw the theatrical version or the Collector's Edition.

When all the lights went out in Neary's house, did it cut to Neary at the power station, or straight to Neary in his truck?

If it had the power station scene, you saw the original 1977 cut.

Cool.

Unless there is some version that has that scene I don't know of?

It didn't have the big ship in the desert, right?

No, it didn't have that desert scene.

The movie wasn't in HD, just good old fashioned uncut letter box.

Cool.

Unless there is some version that has that scene I don't know of?

It didn't have the big ship in the desert, right?

No, it didn't have that desert scene.

The movie wasn't in HD, just good old fashioned uncut letter box.

Yes, original cut it is. Very cool.

And it is indeed a great film. One of my favorites.

- Marc, who needs to get TCM.

You mean the version that plays over the end credits?

I think that was only in the SE.

I just have a feeling that in the OST that quote(When you wish...) was shorter. I have to check it though.

Anyway , I hate that quote , it ruined the otherwise perfect movie and perfect score.

(yes, I'm very serious man)

Saw Paper Moon at the Cinematque. Lovely film that never feels overly sentimental, despite plenty of space for it. That is due mainly to Ryan and Tatum O'Neil, who are one of the most lovable screen duos ever. ***1/2/****.

of course RR did not see the 77 version that version doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately, its the best version, but he one on DVD is almost as good. Its simply reedited not suffering new material that doesn't match.

There is no problem with the ending, I don't know anyone whose see the ending that has a problem with it.

It, along with ET, have perhaps the best ending of any JW film.

of course RR did not see the 77 version that version doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately, its the best version, but he one on DVD is almost as good. Its simply reedited not suffering new material that doesn't match.

I was under the impression that there were still some prints of the original version floating around?

There is no problem with the ending, I don't know anyone whose see the ending that has a problem with it.

I think red_rabbit was referring to the "restored" scene in the Special Edition (that's not in the TC or CE), that lots of people don't like.

Going by the version on the DVD, I'd say this has the best ending of any JW-scored film. But E.T.'s a close second. ;)

A friend of mine has the 77' version on tape. Unfortunately, in this age of DVD, the 20 year old VHS is of such shoddy quality as to make it unbearable to watch.

I presume the TCM version was letterboxed?

Most of their films are, but I've seen a few pan-and-scanned (All the President's Men, The Brothers Karamazov, The Bridge on the River Kwai).

Going by the version on the DVD, I'd say this has the best ending of any JW-scored film. But E.T.'s a close second. :)

The version on the DVD has truly horrible edits in the credits though.

The Criterion Laserdisc is probably the closest to the original version, although it has a 5 second sequence added to it.

I believe the DVD has all of the original scenes in it from the 77 release with a few added sequences. The instrumental "When You Wish Upon A Star" is played over the end credits of the Special Edition.

I think. I used to know all this stuff but too the years are starting to catch up with me.

I was under the impression that there were still some prints of the original version floating around?

I think red_rabbit was referring to the "restored" scene in the Special Edition (that's not in the TC or CE), that lots of people don't like.

Going by the version on the DVD, I'd say this has the best ending of any JW-scored film. But E.T.'s a close second. :)

Regarding the ending, I was referring to the fact that Neary leaves his family to go exploring with the aliens. Spielberg has said that he regrets having it end that way.

I am honestly not sure if I saw the '77 version or the SE. I'm now leaning more towards the SE.

I saw Notes on Scandal. One of those very good films that is axcurciating to watch. Wonderfully acted, and surprisingly well-scripted (I hadn't thought the concept wopuld lead to such a compelling film), it reminded me of The Talented Mr. Ripley and Shattered Glass, in that the main character is such a pitiable, sad, and unsympathetic character. This is the kind of film that critics say 'a tour de-force of acting' about all the time, and it is not inapropriate. Kate Blanchett is excellent, but Judi Dench has such a hard role to play, and she pulls it off remarkably well. Bill Nighy is excellent as always, as Blanchett's husband.

I personally loved Philip Glass' score. While, obviously, all Glass scores sound the same, I think his style is one that works especially well in film. The score was very loud and prominant, and while in a way it might seem a bit forced, I felt it was necassery, to make the film bearable to watch. Both his scores of this year were among the best he's done, and both greatly help the films.

***1/2/****.

Recap time!

Week 6:

El niente.

Week 7:

35. Children of Men (2006)

Finally got around to seeing this film. It's worth it for the camerawork and long unbroken shots alone. It's awesome. And not just the shot inside the car, where the camera moves as fluidly through space as it would in an empty warehouse, but also the amazing handheld run along with Clive Owen starting at a small square, down a street, through a bus wrecked, across another street, into a building, and up three or four stories, all while warfare is exploding around him. Loved it just for that. And the story is quite good as well, although it suffers once or twice from the perspective through which it's told (an argument conveniently takes place at high volume in front of a brightly lit window for instance).

I also rewatched season 5 of 24 over the past 3-and-a-half weeks. Quite good, but I still think the first 13 hours of season 1 remain untouched, with the last 4 or 5 hours of that day following for the great build-up to the finale and the two major shockers towards the end. Still, season 5 offers plenty of high-stakes drama and cool action. Even though it's all become rather over-the-top by now, there's still a great sense of fun to be had from it all.

35. Children of Men (2006)

Finally got around to seeing this film. It's worth it for the camerawork and long unbroken shots alone. It's awesome. And not just the shot inside the car, where the camera moves as fluidly through space as it would in an empty warehouse, but also the amazing handheld run along with Clive Owen starting at a small square, down a street, through a bus wrecked, across another street, into a building, and up three or four stories, all while warfare is exploding around him. Loved it just for that. And the story is quite good as well, although it suffers once or twice from the perspective through which it's told (an argument conveniently takes place at high volume in front of a brightly lit window for instance).

I just couldn't get past all the missed opportunities, from the book. The film just completely missed the point of the book, IMO. I don't mean they just changed a lot (I have no problem with that), but it was just incredibly dumbed-down and by comparison meaningless, I thought.