Episode 3 Score First Impressions...

King Mark

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds extremely promising to me.

Too bad they couldn't confirm whether the Final Duel music is a part of Battle Of The Heroes. If it were; I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

I guess we'll have to see until this thing leaks.

With complete scores for the LOTR films and now the Episode III album in his collection, I am very envious of Doug Adams.

Still - he's about the best writer on the subject there is on the message boards at the moment - so it's all for a good cause.

Actual Empire music is in this? I wonder if original Empire music will just be tracked into these sections for no reason. :D

Neil

Best. News. I've. Heard. All. Week.

Does anybody know/recall what their or the general first impression of the Empire score was?

As for general first impressions, I don't know. I assume it was good, as it was the first JW sequel score to be nominted for an oscar, and the movie was not nominated for much else. Otherwise, I don't know.

But I do know that the Kaplans and Adams, along with just about everyone else at FSM, idolize the Empire score, and the Kaplans have said in particular that it is their favorite score.

Sounds good and promising as a first listen impression. It appears the score will be action-packed and with lots of dramatic moments. Generally, I trust Doug Adams' reviews more than any other thing, so this is a proof of quality for me.

I should receive an advance review copy from Sony next week or so... stay tuned! :D

Thanks... though I meant "their" as in "anybody here's".

Sorry, I misread your post. I've edited it, so I'll feel a little better in knowing that only you have seen the wonders of my literary mind at work, as opposed to the rest of the time, when it's there for all to see. :D

Hmm..it often says:"Best since TESB.."

Sounds very promising to me and after a hundredtimes listening to the 60 seconds sample I'm already addicted!

I don't want to wait until the 2nd of May anymore!! :cry:

Bowie, I remember getting the ESB soundtrack when it came out (I was in 9th grade) and loved it! Most of my friends who paid any attention to film music (I knew a few of them) also thought it was fantastic. The only thing I remember at that time being a little disappointed in was that the score didn't lean on Luke's theme like the original did and there was little of the Rebel fanfare in there, which was a personal favorite little bit of mine. Otherwise, though, I loved it then and still love it now!

Todd

I just hope that many, many "Horn Glissandi" will be heareable on the Soundtrack...

I simply love it when Williams includes a powerful "Wooouuuuupp!!" in his action pieces :)

I think whats really neat is, and you could not really take this kinda chance unless you are already a living legend like williams, is how they talk about the thought line threw the first two scores. How he builds to this sound (the sound we know in the original three movies) how one and two were sorta star wars sorta not. Williams once again proves his Musical Genious, because he can be patience, not giveus the "Star Wars" sound. He built the sound, make it flow thematically threw the movies, until it hits what is is now, EP III, the "Star Wars" sound. I can not wait to hear this OST. I think it would be a real treat now to not only watch EP I-VI, but to "Listen" to EP I-VI, to here the sound evolve, to really understand where things are. Now when you listen to the "Force Theme, you'll feel where it came from. It should be very interesting indeed.

Or maybe it's just an excuse for some lackluster efforts.  

To each his own I suppose. There can be good arguments all around.

Very, very nice. I really like the comments about how this return to the "full on" original trilogy sound is even more well earned since the first two scores had it to a degree, but also went thier own directions. Spot on.

I hope all seems to be as good at is seems to be...

The force is strong in williams, for there is no try, there is only do...and boy can he DO!

lets hope this one isn't do do like the last one. The article is promising, but I remember 3 years ago reviews calling AOTC the best since ESB, and it wasn't, not even close.

Does anybody know/recall what their or the general first impression of the Empire score was?

Mine was disappointment. I had asked for the story LP with dialogue and sound effects from the film for Christmas 1980, and all I got was the boring old double LP of music (I was 10). Of course my disappointment vanished the second my parents put the record on! My journey towards being a full-on Williams geek had begun in earnest. Now look at me! I almost wish they had got me the dialogue and sound effects LP. I would probably be much richer today!

Maybe padme is not ruminating at all, she could be delivering in that cue...

What about if there was a label 'performed by Natalie Portman' ? 0_o

Really i hoe the choral version in this movie are Williams sounding. If it ethnic wail.. then it must be like Augie's band. True Ethnical Naboo tradition ;)

I always had envisioned Williams' ones as more melodical-listenable than many other composers...

I remember getting mine just before I finished up the semester at college, my roommate and I played it over and over, and went wild. We had both read the novel and had found out that Darth Vader was Luke's father before the movie. We didn't tell anyone because that was a great surprise back then.

Some of the bandies that I knew borrowed and taped it, and it wasn't long before Darth Vader's theme was part of the football band program.

Maybe padme is not ruminating at all, she could be delivering in that cue...

What about if there was a label 'performed by Natalie Portman' ? 0_o

Really i hoe the choral version in this movie are Williams sounding. If it ethnic wail.. then it must be like Augie's band. True Ethnical Naboo tradition ;)

I always had envisioned Williams' ones as more melodical-listenable than many other composers...

Hmm, and here I thought Padme was already pregnant when the movie starts. :(

This all sounds great, sans "Padme's Ruminations," but it's too bad all those secondary themes aren't on the album - Yoda's Theme, Duel of the Fates, the Rebel Fanfare. Two of those could be explained right off the bat by the Yoda/Sidious duel music not being on the album. That's probably it.

...it's too bad all those secondary themes aren't on the album - Yoda's Theme, Duel of the Fates, the Rebel Fanfare.

The rebel fanfare has been heard in every end title sequence. Is there reason to believe it won't be heard here?

Neil

The rebel fanfare has been heard in every end title sequence. Is there reason to believe it won't be heard here?

One Name........George Lucas.

The Rebel Fanfare will be in the End Credits as always. But, we were told in the score reports that there's a Rebel Fanfare statement in the Battle of Coruscant that apparently didn't make it onto the OST.

Well it doesn't answer the question wether Lament is in there or not.The 2 cues I'm most curious about is Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny and An New Hope and End Credits,which I hope is not re-hash music.

oh,ok,apperently The Lament is in.

K.M.

.  The article is promising, but I remember 3 years ago reviews calling AOTC the best since ESB, and it wasn't, not even close.

I remember this too.

k.M.

Weren't you still on your looong sabatical from the MB?  

Stefancos- who thinks KM spend that time battling his inner demons...and they whipped his ass.

Did you change your Avatar thingy, i'm confused, I thought you were the all seeing EYE?

Well,there was a few days in 2002 where I wasn't on drinking binges ;)

K.M.Who saw Ep 2 in Theater 3 weeks after it came out.

OK,I think they think "Lament" is for Padme's funeral and appears in Padme's Destiny.But according to the scoring reports it scores the slaughter of the Jedi temple.So my guess it's that it's unreleased.My only miff so far is the re-recording of the concert version of The Throne Room,which I already have on 3 c.d.'s.Sure it may be new to those who only own the OST'S,but not to me,so that's wasted minutes of music.

K.M.

Dunno if anyone's played it, but is there no music from ROTS used in the recent videogame LEGO STAR WARS, which covers all 3 PT films?

Mine was disappointment. I had asked for the story LP with dialogue and sound effects from the film for Christmas 1980, and all I got was the boring old double LP of music (I was 10). Of course my disappointment vanished the second my parents put the record on! My journey towards being a full-on Williams geek had begun in earnest. Now look at me! I almost wish they had got me the dialogue and sound effects LP. I would probably be much richer today!

LOL, I think I said this before but here's my slight revison...

Mine was disappointment. I had asked for the story LP with dialogue and sound effects from the film for My birthday in May 1980, and all I got was the boring old double LP of music (I was 6). Of course my disappointment vanished the second I put the record on! My journey towards being a full-on Williams geek had begun in earnest. Now look at me! I then went on to get the "Adventures of Luke Skywalker... The Empire Strikes Back" LP in addition to that anyway.

Regardless, I'm not disappointed by RotS. So far, ZERO disappointment. More like... everything I wanted AND more!!!!

Dunno if anyone's played it, but is there no music from ROTS used in the recent videogame LEGO STAR WARS, which covers all 3 PT films?

Im going to acquire it, i'll tell ya when i receive it ;)

OK OK OK .....

I guess Lucas is like Palpatine and I am sort of like the Darth Vader.  

I am close to being as evil but not quite! ;)

Er... Are you rick mcallum then? I KNEW IT you lucass licker! ;)

I hope you meant Neil instead Lucas...

I hope they dedicated ROTS to Neil in the end credits LOL

Yup that was a typo.

Hey cut me some slack will ya? I've been up for hours trying to finish some damn report.

Anyway, getting back to the ROTS score, I am surprised by how upbeat the end credits were. I mean I realize the man is trying to create a bridge to the original films but man! That was more than expected.

OMG. It's growing on me! Big time!

Please, I beg you... if you found it dull and meaningless, and haven't really bothered giving it a second or third go or whatever, CHECK OUT MY LISTENING ORDER! Just trust me and play this thing from start to finish in this order: 1-3-2-13-5-7-6-9-4-10-12-11-8-14-15, as described in the aforementioned link.

It's mostly chronological this way, and sort of "hides" the dull moments while improving the feel and flow of certain tracks by grouping them together in a logical way ("Grievous..."; "Anakin..."; "Padmé..." etc). I really feel the power of the album was hard-done-by, because of Williams' album production "skills".

...which of course bodes EXTREMELY WELL for the actual film, with music in a chronological context and through-developed pacing.