I'm listening to the first track of ROTS

Romão

I actually like track 15. The presentations of Leia's and Luke's theme at the beginning are amazing. Especially the latter where Williams shows us why we're all huge fans- love his contrapuntal string writing on Luke's theme where his employs thematic immitation between the 1st and 2nd violins. This is the kind of music I had hoped he'd write for the first two prequals. Better late than never.

As for the Throne Room music inclusion, it's great to hear it and I think at this point in the end credits, no one in the audience will be left. I think WIlliams wanted to end the Star Wars on a positive note seeing that much of ROTS deals with bad things happening to good characters. Even in ESB, the tone of the the finale was more positive even though Han was an ice-cube, Luke just found out his father is the scum of the universe, etc. If the Throne Room had been used in the context of the film, then I would worry but I like how Williams is using it as a bridge to Ep. 4.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars and Revenge of the Sith is a good cue, but I bet a lot of it isn't for the opening space battle, but instead for the montage of the Jedi being killed, hence the title. We shall see.

That end title is dreadful. Lousy performance and music that has no place in this film. Why couldn't we finally get Anakin's Theme turning into The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)? How much more apporopriate would that have been?

Regarding Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, why does it seem to start and stop whenever there is a quote from Empire?

Neil

Hi there...

Im also listening to this four track right now and I really...dont know what to think...

The Opening titles are really cool, after the usual theme we go straight to something dynamic, action like, and there are some parts of the song which remind me of the Harry Potter soundtrack (yeah, funny I know LOL), and also a bit of Indiana Jones, but I like it....

Battle of Heroes sounds like a post LOTR creation for me, like "voices are cool, lets put more in this score...", dont know why but its gonna take some time for me to get used to this song...And after having listened to it like 3 times I can tell now what the soundtrack remind me of: The soundtrack of the Hunchback of Notre Dame!! Yeah really *dont hit me*...

Im not a real fan of this one, it sounds both Williams like and not Williams like, Duel of the Fates was MUCH better... Some parts of it are really cool, and then suddenly something really cliché appears and Im like "oh nooo..."...

Dunno, still wondering...

Im still listening to the 9, so I will comment on this later, but the end titles for me are kinda disappointing too, its like a gigantic melting pot of all the Star Wars soundtrack, nothing really original, its been already heard... :(

So right now I have to say Im waiting for the whole CD to be available to be able to have an opinion on the ROTS soundtrack, because for the moment, Im not totally convinced...

*cough* by the way Im kinda new. so hello everyone!! I say kinda because a long time ago, in a galaxy quite close to this one, I was part of this forum, posted some messages, and then had so much work that I couldnt come back here...I also lost my older login, so here I am again ;)

MarieMJS.

"Battle of the Heroes" should have been written for TPM and "Duel of the Fates" should have been used here. It would have made so much more sense.

Neil

Battle of the heros contains somewhat some of us wanted: a choral acomainment to the force theme ;)

Anway i think DOF is in the movie, in the reports , after lucas shock, Williams said wait and see.

If not it will be in the movie anyway. Tracked :(

Star Wars and Revenge of the Sith is a good cue, but I bet a lot of it isn't for the opening space battle, but instead for the montage of the Jedi being killed, hence the title.  We shall see.

Pffft. You really think so? Just because of the track name? Does one minute of that cue sound like it'll be scoring a tragic cull?

That end title is dreadful.  Lousy performance and music that has no place in this film.  Why couldn't we finally get Anakin's Theme turning into The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)?  How much more apporopriate would that have been?

Aww, sorry he didn't score it exactly how you'd imagined. What a let-down that must be. Care to elaborate on 'lousy performance' and 'no place in the film'?

Regarding Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, why does it seem to start and stop whenever there is a quote from Empire?

It doesn't. It stops and starts in many places because it's not a chase cue, it's a duel cue...and you haven't seen what it's scoring.

Your stubborn, determined and disregarding pessimism got tired long ago. Of course, we all knew you wouldn't really enjoy this score, but then that's because you're utterly predictable now. A damn shame, really. But since this is a very mature and pretty dynamic discussion board, care to give reasons for your distaste towards it?

I don't like the end titles. It's a tired, dull performance, much like The Skywalker Symphony (I even got an e-mail from a friend regarding this cue asking, "Who let the Skywalker Symphony in?"). Why don't you do what I did. Listen to the ROTS end title then play "The Throne Room / End Title" from Star Wars. Then you'll hear how "The Throne Room" and the ending of that piece should really sound. There is no comparison.

And that music has no place in this movie. ROTS should end on a downer, since this is the rise of ultimate evil. Instead, we get a triumphant march. What is that about? It goes against the story and instead celebrates the end of the series. That's not serving the film and is wrong.

I believe I said I liked the rest.

Neil

Wow, there's some "glass is half empty" sentiment here. I'm just happy to be able to listen to this material weeks before its release. And some of the variations on Luke's, Leia's and the Force themes are inspired. This is the kind of writing I had hoped Williams would do leading up to Episode 1.

As for the Throne Room music- well of course contextually it doesn't belong. We all know that. But considering this music accompanies End Credits I don't really see any harm. And remember that this is Williams' farewell to the entire franchise- no more original Star Wars music will be written by him so it's probably his way of saying "bye bye, had a great time" to the fans. I don't see anything wrong with this.

But that's just me of course.

I'd rather have Williams writing something new and original to say goodbye to this franchise.

But of course they may be a hidden purpose here.

Considering the way the music has been treated, perhaps it not a surprise Williams was not stirred to go the extra mile.

But neil, if it was a cut and paste work, everyone will complain is the same recording.

Isnt it what happens with the opening title?

I like the end credits since i have never heard that version, and the film though dark, it is ends with A NEW HOPE.

The End Credits are a huge disappointment. The orchestra sounds thoroughly bored in the opening rebel fanfare/Luke's theme section, and the rest of the thematic material (aside from Battle of the Heroes) has no relevance to this film. The appearance of the lackluster concert arrangement of The Throne Room only serves to cheapen it's appearance in the next film (if you're watching them in that order).

I never said I wanted a cut and paste job. I would have challenged Williams into finally connecting the dots. We have all this thematic material out there but he has yet to (and now never will) connect it. Having a piece that turns "Anakin's Theme" into "The Imperial March" would have musically encapsulated the prequels. How great would that be? Instead we have this great piece in TPM that is now just forgotten. I thought this series was about musical continutiy. Maybe not.

Neil

I apologize to all the people to whom I did not reply to the PM's. I stayed up till 7. a.m aroud here, and replied to all I could. But then it just got too late and I had to sleep. BUt I see the thing leaked out anyway.

Well, this is a great surprise to wake up to. I thought that with the reviews coming out yesterday this would happen soon. Ep. II leaked the day after TF.N posted a review. ;)

Let the Star Wars madness begin!! :(

I never said I wanted a cut and paste job.  I would have challenged Williams into finally connecting the dots.  We have all this thematic material out there but he has yet to (and now never will) connect it.  Having a piece that turns "Anakin's Theme" into "The Imperial March" would have musically encapsulated the prequels.  How great would that be?  Instead we have this great piece in TPM that is now just forgotten.  I thought this series was about musical continutiy.  Maybe not.

Neil

I think this is a little premature. As people have already said, we haven't seen the movie yet. As to Anakin's Theme, the potential there was essentially ruined when Lucas put in Imperial March at the end of AOTC. We can already hear the musical devices that transform Anakin's Theme into the March.

I love the end of the main Title, from about 5:20 till the end... love the melodies....no pre existing Star Wars themes are played, but just sounds pure PURE Star Wars.

I also love the bit in Battle Of The Heroes, 1:23 a short bit for orchestra and chorus...Williams at his most powerful.

And that Luke's Theme at the start of A New Hope is gorgeous.

The 30 seconds that Sony released really growing on me now...I didn't like it much when I first heard it, but suddenly it clicked for me.

And finally I just saw a new Japanese trailer for War of The Worlds, with some new shots and new dialogue....wow this is an amazing time to be a Williams fan!

I for one am thoroughly overwhelmed by these four tracks.

Though they're not all cut from the same crop as us JWfans, I honestly think the folks over at MillenniumFalcon have the right attitude about this score. I too teared up during the end credits. The EP III score is what's getting me through this semester.

And, just to be the first to point this out, JW's consistent substitution of Neapolitans for the usual Major IV chord for the Force Theme's chord progression -- brilliant!

I'm sure that BotH vs. DotF is going to be a major debate over the coming months/years. In my opinion, I think the new theme is a stroke of genius. The Anakin/Obi-Wan duel is not just holding the fate of the galaxy in the balance, it is an intensely personal enocounter. The pupil who betrayed his master, and in his turn feels betrayed. DotF is a huge epic theme for the Jedi vs. the Sith, but BotH, while having its own epic quality, also has a greater degree of intimacy and feels a little more personal. Williams, I think, decided to focus on the deep personal nature of the Big Duel, and the results are most satisfying.

And the End Credtis were definately re-recorded after the score reports we got. We were told that Leia's Theme was reprised at the end as the traditional soft fadeout from the first two prequel scores, but now it has the big finish from the OT scores. And I know that the End Credits are the other big point of debate right now, and I have mixed feelings on how I feel about them right now. More listening/thought required. But I think we can all agree that the Finale, short as it is, is beautiful. :baaa:

This will be a day long remembered.

Well, I'm sure JW wrote the end credits exactly as he wanted. So if he wants to finish his SW opus like that, he has alll the legitimacy to do so.

The beginning of the end credits does feel too slow but I think JW felt he had to do it because of the way the film ended - it might have seemed jarring to go from the slow musical fade to a hyper end credits. Problem is we?ve all used to it at a certain pace so it kind of bothers me to hear it slower.

Leah?s theme seems overhyped now from the initial scoring reports. Its the concert arrangement in the end credits and its a rather small new quote in the finale.

Love the new battle theme - it goes all out in the melodramatic, epic-tragic direction with the

exciting orchestra work underneath. I also like what seems like a secondary, swashbuckling motif

that get thrown in there. DotF is probably in the film but not on the soundtrack so I'm assuming we'll get both in the movie.

I?m also not a big fan of the throne room inclusion, though the one minute relfective version of

the force theme seems appropriate. We may never know if this is the kind of specific inclusion

that Lucas wanted or if JW thought it was the way to go. I sort of suspect the former but its hard

to know.

Some of the trasnsitions in track 9 and other places seem less than smooth though that can partly

be a funcion of hearing familiar music intermixed with new music and being suprised when it goes in another direction.

Overall I?m enjoying this a lot. As always, hearing it with the film will be the real test.

- Adam

This is the best Star Wars music since The Empire Strikes Back. "Duel of the Fates" sounds like a quiet , reflective compared to "Battle of the Heroes." And the Force Theme hasn't been this good since...well, since Star Wars.

We may never know if this is the kind of specific inclusion

that Lucas wanted or if JW thought it was the way to go. I sort of suspect the former but its hard

to know.

Oh, we know.....WE KNOW!

Probably, but a devil's advocate could say that JW hasn't written new music for the end credits for any of the prequels and the new film didn't provide a lot of new material for him to put in there, so being the last film he put in the one new concert track from the film and then linked it with the original Star Wars movie, maybe thinking that's what fans wanted to hear and also its a celebration of the Star Wars journey and a way to drive home the point that we've gone full circle. Its possible without any confirmation otherwise.

Still, I'd put my money on GL being the driving force behind that.

- Adam, who loves the epilogue to the Fury!!!!!

And then there were 5 :baaa:  

Immolation Scene

Gotta love the Falcon

Is it in a different thread,I can't find it.

K.M.Who just got some sleep

And then there were 5 :baaa:  

Immolation Scene

Gotta love the Falcon

Is it in a different thread,I can't find it.

K.M.Who just got some sleep

It was there about 10 minutes ago, but it seems to have disappeared. :cry:

Yeah it was on the big thread at the Falcon, half way down page 6

JW's consistent substitution of Neapolitans for the usual Major IV chord for the Force Theme's chord progression -- brilliant!

Yeah....

Just for comparison and the enlightenment of the musically illiterates:

Force Theme ending on Major Subdominant chord

Force Theme ending on Neapolitan chord

:baaa:

Does not everybodies know that illigal downloading is illigal and against laws.

You are terrible disrespectfull to the composer John Williams, who did the wonderfull musik of The Patriot, Indiana Jones and 1941.

Franz

Does not everybodies know that illigal downloading is illigal and against laws.

You are terrible disrespectfull to the composer John Williams, who did the wonderfull musik of The Patriot, Indiana Jones and 1941.

Franz

He did the Patriot? And Indiana Jones? And... 1941??? Holy Christ!

Yup, the whole thing is up now, I just got it. Just go to where you got the stuff earlier to get the rest. And do it before it's gone! :P

I'm off to enjoy! :baaa:

And to those who complain about pirating: I for one will still be buying the CD, and I'm sure most here will too. Williams deserves his royalties.

Not to irritate Joe or Stefancos, but I'm impressed.

your not, I think they are all grand too,

not to mention the exclusive WalMart one, thanks to a special friend.

its a real surprise. WOW.