Aliens - Complete Score?

Dean1700

Some collectors have this score in their collections. Is this a DVD rip, someone else's personal mix or from the masters? and Can someone provide a track list and running time?

Ta

It's probably the Concorde boot from the mid-90's, but you are better off with the Varese deluxe release anyway, which I think has more music that's actually in the film + alternates.

- Tim.

Thanks Mahler. I've got the Varese release. Pity it doesn't have the film version to Combat drop on it.

"We're on the express elevator to hell. Going down"

Thanks Mahler. I've got the Varese release. Pity it doesn't have the film version to Combat drop on it.

That was a tracked in library cue, written by Harry Rabinowitz.

Neil

• 15 years later...

Sorry to bump this, but the Varese Deluxe Edition is already 20 yo, is there still a chance that a new expanded set could be released?

If Varese owns the rights to this score in perpetuity, only they could do a new version.

If they don't, then because Disney owns Fox now, only Intrada could do a new version.

Either way, I don't think it would be high on either label's priority list to revisit it.  Which is a shame, because even though the DE was already complete, it could use a sonic upgrade (and the Harry Rabinowitz cue should be included as a bonus track since they did include the Robert Garrett cue)

Matessino's version of the score on the Blu Ray's isolated score tracks sounds better than the Varese DE, although 6M2/7M1 and the End Titles are not available in complete form there

Wow this Google Doc is ancient and I don't think I've ever shared it before

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x3GBJHftmOQpaC8r5Zx6h2sHW9KxbpDThTrMgWYSXVs/

I just bought the original CD, so I'll ignore the deluxe edition and wait for a modern expansion, thank you sirs.

On 7/30/2020 at 5:39 PM, Jay said:

If Varese owns the rights to this score in perpetuity, only they could do a new version.

If they don't, then because Disney owns Fox now, only Intrada could do a new version.

Either way, I don't think it would be high on either label's priority list to revisit it.  Which is a shame, because even though the DE was already complete, it could use a sonic upgrade (and the Harry Rabinowitz cue should be included as a bonus track since they did include the Robert Garrett cue)

Robert Garrett? Forgive my ignorance but which track is that?

Karol

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

Sometimes I think Aliens is Horner's best score. But it could just be the outrageous LSO performance/recording. Name me a score which sounds more thunderous.

Batman

• 3 years later...
On 31/07/2020 at 5:31 AM, Jay said:

Matessino's version of the score on the Blu Ray's isolated score tracks sounds better than the Varese DE, although 6M2/7M1 and the End Titles are not available in complete form there

Glad it's not just me. Was checking out that isolated score tonight and compared it with the Varese. The iso definitely sounds superior; the stage sounds fuller, the stereo field is improved, and it's way less tinny. Overall there's more detail and it's "cleaner." I suspect it's not true 5.1 and the rear channels are fake surround, but they add some nice reverb when folded into the mix.

Would love to know if they made new transfers for the isolated scores but can't find any information online. Would be cool if Mike did a podcast about the Alien series someday.

I'd pick up a new release of Aliens in a heartbeat. The 2003 Varese is definitely overdue for a fresh transfer/remaster. Fat chance with Disney now involved though.

Yes, I was really hoping that they would revisit and remaster Alien and Aliens when they learned Disney was trying to buy Fox.  Alas...

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wow, interesting to read that the BD iso sounds better than the V/S DE. I have both so I'll need to check them out.

If your player can play 5.1 in 2.0, then that would be the best way to do an A/B comparison.

Honestly, though, the BD is miles  better than the VS.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Honestly, though, the BD is miles  better than the VS.

I compared the spectograms and while the BD is lossy, both versions appear to come from the same digital masters.

Interesting that even lossy, Mike's master sounds better than the Varese. I guess the latter is ten years older though, so maybe an unfair comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, question for them in the know: Is there a difference between Dark Discovery on the original LP and Dark Discovery on the VS expanded? I was trying to reconstruct the original playlist and I wasn't sure if there was a content difference or just a title change. I think the track is only 7 seconds longer on the expanded.

I think that's the only track that has a title change. I'm not super-duper familiar with all of the tiny details of this score. Are any of the tracks with the same titles expanded?

29 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Hey, question for them in the know: Is there a difference between Dark Discovery on the original LP and Dark Discovery on the VS expanded? I was trying to reconstruct the original playlist and I wasn't sure if there was a content difference or just a title change. I think the track is only 7 seconds longer on the expanded.

I think that's the only track that has a title change. I'm not super-duper familiar with all of the tiny details of this score.

The OST track only contains the cue "Dark Discovery".

The Varese DE track contains the cue "Dark Discovery" followed by the cue "Newt's Horror", hence the title "Dark Discovery / Newt's Horror".

29 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Are any of the tracks with the same titles expanded?

No.  The OST album contained no editing, just entire cues plopped into tracks.

Oh, and "Ripley's Rescue" sounds better on the OST album than the DE.

The whole score could use a fresh remaster from the earlier possible element.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The OST track only contains the cue "Dark Discovery".

The Varese DE track contains the cue "Dark Discovery" followed by the cue "Newt's Horror", hence the title "Dark Discovery / Newt's Horror".

:) OK, let me rephrase: Where did Dark Discovery originally end? Is Newt's Horror the squeals that start at ~1:48?

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

:) OK, let me rephrase: Where did Dark Discovery originally end?

The original OST album is on youtube, so you can hear for yourself the full clean ending of Dark Discovery:

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Is Newt's Horror the squeals that start at ~1:48?

Yup!

Didn’t this just go out of print with Varese’s Shocktober Sale. It was a “get them before they’re gone forever” thing. It is now gone from the site.  Perhaps Varese will remaster it if they hold the rights in perpetuity.  Seems like a title you don’t let go OOP without a good reason.  Let’s hope I guess. 

IMG_1220.jpeg

Jim Titus is good at taking old elements and making something new out of them with some revisionist tweaks that aren’t offensive or amateurish. 

IMG_1222.jpeg

I don’t recall any strong vintage poster concepts for Aliens, so it would be a perfect opportunity for him to work his magic. 

Unless you count the Thai poster.  Thailand did the best crazy posters. 

IMG_1221.jpeg

Isn't Bishop revealed to be a droid in his first scene?  I guess the fact that he'll eventually get cut in half can be considered a spoiler, as is showing the queen

He is. That poster is one big spoiler. Maybe it's meant for those who've already seen the film. 

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hey!

8130.jpg

For those who don't know the language: It's a Hungarian poster.

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Jim Titus is good at taking old elements and making something new out of them with some revisionist tweaks that aren’t offensive or amateurish. 

I can already see Jim Titus approaching some random kid in a park saying "Hey kid, how about you stick this toy facehugger on your head while I photograph you?"

4 hours ago, Andy said:

IMG_1221.jpeg

No mirror glasses pilot lady?

;)

This one takes the cake though:

alien-thai-movie-poster.jpg?v=1670302154