What A Horrible Edit!

Lurker

I got the original double LP Empire Strikes Back a few days after ROTJ opened. That's almost 22 years ago. I've listened to it a lot since then on various formats, as I'm sure many of us here have. If that's the case, how come until last night I've never noticed the horrible edit 2:43 (times may vary slightly) into "The Imperial March"? The cymbal just totally stops as it cuts between two takes. I checked and it's there on the Anthology and the SE. Yuck!

Neil

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh great, thanks, Neil, now all of us will never be able to listen to it again without cringing. :P

ttbk, :wave: The Imperial March (Gerhardt)

It's hard to believe no one on this thread noticed that before. I heard it the first time I ever listened to it. The background noise dips out completely and is obvious. However, it's a smooth edit in the respect that the tempo or flow isn't effected.

Tim

With a piece as amazing as The Imperial March it's no wonder we don't tend to notice the blemishes. We're generally too busy being blown away by the rest of the piece. Having said that, there are so many dodgy edits in the original Star Wars score that I'm probably used to the whole thing by now. I'd rather have that than a single take with wrong notes and ensemble problems in it.

Speaking of horrible edits, there's a nasty one at the end of Palpatine's Teachings where it cuts to a reprise of the fanfare used when Amidala leaves Coruscant to return to Naboo.

is that really an edit? Because the end of that particular cue sounds different than its Phantom Menace counterpart.

Oh - I'm not saying that they've tracked in a TPM cue, I'm saying that this new version of that fanfare doesn't sound like it belongs at the end of the cue. It feels very strange coming where it is. I figured that fanfare for leaving Coruscant has to be the scene where Obi-wan leaves for Utapau, which in the cue list is 3M6 - Going to Utapau. The rest of the 'Palpatine's Teachings' cue has to be either 3M2a-3M3 (if this is where the Opera cue is, I wouldn't be surprised, since that Opera is a likely place for the voices of Gyuto monks to appear) or 4M3.

Is it the same problem on ROTJ SE Approaching the Death Star 2:26?

Well I'm not amazed since they put an amateurish and totally unprofessional edit on the movie ESB SE. I've cringe every time I watch this stupid Vader arrival on Star Destroyer.

It's quite obvious, but I'm not sure what to think about it.

Morlock- who has never heard the Imperial March in slow motion before, and liked it alot that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the CD right with me so I can't check the time or track name, but there's a really, really bad edit in the ROTJ SE, in the track that covers Luke & Leia's good bye chat in the tree. It's right in the middle of a phrase, between the third and fourth notes of the Luke & Leia theme as Luke walks away. There's a jump in volume and ambient noise that is impossible to ignore.