Why is JW not more famous???

Josh500

I was just wondering. The average person does not know him and sure, thats partly because he writes film music, which not many people are interested in, but considering the wealth of memorable themes he wrote for movies which are virtually known to ANYBODY, it still amazes me that the name John Williams doesnt ring a bell with more people. I think even Andrew Llyod Webber is more well-known than John Williams, although Webbers only wrote two famous songs (Memory and The Phantom of the Opera). Could it be that John Williams is a bit shy when it comes to publicity? Im starting to think he prefers to be the master working in the background. Also, that may explain why there are virtually no books or DVDs or other material on him and his life.

What do you think???? :|

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, that may explain why there are virtually no books or DVDs or other material on him and his life.

Isn't he featured on practically every Spielberg DVD released?

Neil

or could it be that he writes orchestral music? kinda like is the main reason for the average person...

Also, that may explain why there are virtually no books or DVDs or other material on him and his life.

Isn't he featured on practically every Spielberg DVD released?

Neil

True, but they are just extras, and they exit primarily to promote the OS, I suppose. Im thinking of his biography (or musical journey, if you will) of his life, either in book form or on DVD.

And there are none of those.

:|

Scoring films is by defination a somewhat "anonyous" profession.

John Williams is about as famous an anyone in this profession has ever been, I think.

Williams is the best, Mancini was the most famous.

I think even Andrew Llyod Webber is more well-known than John Williams, although Webbers only wrote two famous songs (Memory and The Phantom of the Opera).  

'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' is more famous than Memory.

'Pie Jesu' from Requiem

'Another Suitcase in Another Hall'

'Love Changes Everything'

SEFANCOS, Love the New Avatar. O.K. Williams is about as popular as you can get for someone who writes for Orchestra Music (For Films none the less) Actually when I mention his name too people, I normally get this reaction......."Oh yea, the guy who rips off melodies from Classical Composers". I swear 6/7 out of 10 people say that *IF they Know who I am talking about*

6/7 out of 10

Six sevenths out of ten?

I think Andrew Lloyd Webber is also famous because he wrote plays (or at least Phantom).

JW's music is well known to almost everyone, and I bet he likes being that kind of person, so people aren't fawning over him, but his work is still appreciated.

~Sturgis

I first heard of Williams when I saw the Duel of the Fates music video. Only later did I find out he wrote that awesome music for Jurassic Park as well (I'd been watching the movie taped off TV for years, which had the end credits brutally cut off).

His profession doesn't really require publicity. I mean he doesn't tour on music stations giving interviews on his latest album now does he?

His profession doesn't really require publicity. I mean he doesn't tour on music stations giving interviews on his latest album now does he?

That's not exactly true. He promoted the OS of Episode I on radio. He did an interview, and I've got the interview on CD. Very surprising indeed.

Josh500 you must be very young, because your comments about A.L.Webber's famous songs is not accurate.

I can't believe even Alex didn't mention this.

Jesus Christ SuperStar was the biggest hit of all of them, and it had I Don't know How to Love Him, and Everythings Alright which were all hits back in the 70's.

Well the other day, i dont remember why, it came up the conversation about my 'freakeness' (in a friendly way ;) ) since i like many trilogies and so... and that friend asked me about EPIII, and told me he had learned to play SW main title and Imperial march on the guitar, and i could help asking him 'and what is the name of the composer?' and after a failure response (George Lucas!? 0_o) he remembered he had done a work in the school about recognising themes) and said the guy in the spielberg movies, no?.... er... Williams..... John Williams :D .

I was amazed...

Mostly because of Madonna.

No, Stefancos. You weren't even there so please refrain yourself from making such crazy statements. The original version by Julie Covington was the second biggest selling single in the UK in 1976. This single became the best selling single ever by a female vocalist. How old were you when that happened, boy?

Well, boy?

----------------

Alex Cremers - :D

Your all boys to my Manliness. Why, I bet you don't even know who Marylin Chambers is....hmmm?????

KrosstJ- Yes, thats who I am talking about, now show your age!

No, Stefancos. You weren't even there so please refrain yourself from making such crazy statements. The original version by Julie Covington was the second biggest selling single in the UK in 1976. This single became the best selling single ever by a female vocalist. How old were you when that happened, boy?

Well, boy?

----------------

Alex Cremers - ;)

wrong Alex, You Light Up my life is the best selling single by a female singer.

Well, boy?

----------------

Alex Cremers -  ;)

That does not count.

1976 was like...more then 10 years ago......

Well, boy?

----------------

Alex Cremers - ;)

wrong Alex, You Light Up my life is the best selling single by a female singer.

Never heard of it. Are you really, really sure? Are we talking worldwide here?

Josh500 you must be very young, because your comments about A.L.Webber's famous songs is not accurate.

I can't believe even Alex didn't mention this.

Jesus Christ SuperStar was the biggest hit of all of them, and it had I Don't know How to Love Him, and Everythings Alright which were all hits back in the 70's.

You're right, the statement about A.L. Webber may not have been accurate. But I was simply trying to make a point about JW not being famous enough. It's a fact that people watch a LOT less musicals than movies, and JW has been associated with the most popular movies in history. So I'm just curious why so many people know ALW and so few know JW. Maybe, if JW wrote more songs than orchestral music . . . but who knows??? I think it's a bummer that I have to explain everytime who JW is, whenever someone asks me what kind of music I like to listen.

:)

Josh it has to do with Andrew Lloyd Webber's name being above the name of the musicals, its that simple.

on the films that John scores, there are names like Spielberg, Lucas, Columbus, and Stone on top.

Josh it has to do with Andrew Lloyd Webber's name being above the name of the musicals, its that simple.

on the films that John scores, there are names like Spielberg, Lucas, Columbus, and Stone on top.

Yeah, I guess it's as simple as that. :roll:

well Josh, if that doesn't work for you, what the hell do you want?

you asked basically a rhetorical question, do you really expect an answer that will satisfy you?

you asked basically a rhetorical question, do you really expect an answer that will satisfy you?

No, I'm not satisfied on this, but I've come aways toward understanding why it's the way it is. :)

The main reason is that your average person does not listen to film scores for fun. People like songs... music with words.

The main reason is that your average person does not listen to film scores for fun. People like songs... music with words.

I like music 'with' or 'without' words. The voice is considered to be the ultimate instrument. Voices often use words. I like words. I like music 'with' or 'without' words. Repeat infinity.

---------------

Alex Cremers

The voice is considered to be the ultimate instrument.

By whom? I consider the french horn to be the ultimate intsrtrument.

~Sturgis

Why the French Horn!! I don't know many amteur horn players, who play their Instrument well!!

The Clarinet is THE ULTIMATE instrument, because go can accompany tragic and funny music!! Unfortunately it's not often used!!!

Why the French Horn!! I don't know many amteur horn players, who play their Instrument well!!

The Clarinet is THE ULTIMATE instrument, because go can accompany tragic and funny music!! Unfortunately it's not often used!!!

1) Since when has anyone compared their favorite instrument to how an amatuer plays it?

2) Tragic and funny music? I don't think any other instrument can do that. :P

~Sturgis

Why is it important that he's famous or not to everybody? Heck in his field of work, if there is somebody who is famous, it's Johnny. Nobody will ever bring this type of art to the masses. Won't ever happen. It's like going on the streets asking "Hey you know who's Frank Lloyd Wright?".

The voice is considered to be the ultimate instrument.

By whom? I consider the french horn to be the ultimate intsrtrument.

~Sturgis

Its expression is limited compared to the human voice.

The violin is considered to be the closest to the human voice. So, there you have it.

What a strange question to ask about such commonly held notion. It means that composers, musicians, critics, professors, music fans, people who know a little about music and musical instruments usually come to one conclusion. The voice is the most complex, most versatile, oldest, most expressive and most admired natural sound source.

It is often said that the violin (due to its design) is the closest in duplicating the human voice.

---------------

Alex cremers

They need to hear words that will tell them how to feel.I love you baaaby,I want you baaaby,come to me baaaby...don't leave me baaaby....

Score lovers have more complex brains.We only need the music to evoque whatever it is to evoque.

K.M.

Film score fans get the most grief out of anyone in music fandom. We're looked down on by fans of "popular music" as geeks, strange, and losers. And we're looked down on by classical elitits as simpletons.

But personally I rather enjoy that. :)

Yes,Classical Elitists probably talk about how JWfans need their instrumental cliches to evoque specific emotions and images.

K.M.