War of the Worlds OST street date 6/28/05

JoeinAR

According to Barnes and Noble. I did not find it on the website or Amazon's website, but I found it on our own internal database

according to it

War of the Worlds OST, John Williams

Decca, UPC Code:602498 814130

strict on sale date of 6-28-05

which means it will be released the day before the film.

Incidently 6-28-05 is a Tuesday, and the film is released on

6-29-05 which is a Wednesday.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think this will be an excitting score. Not saying anything bad about Williams, but I have a feeling that for once speilberg is gonna go Minimalistic with the music in this film....Just a hunch really.

I may as well just see the film first and listen to the CD on the way home. I've also been having negative, and hopefully unfounded, premonitions that this will be a very low-key score. That's fine if it complements the film, but it could prove to be a less exciting JW release than many have been hoping.

Ray Barnsbury - still looking forward to it ;)

I'm hoping for more General Grievous type cues for the action, as well as some really thick and challenging "End of the World" type symphonic music.

Of course there will be sweet music for the Father/Daughter relationship as well.

, as well as some really thick and challenging "End of the World" type symphonic music.

We already got plenty of that in RotS.

K.M.

We already have a release date for the OS for WotW, but when was the recording session? As opposed to RotS, of which we got almost daily reports, we didn't have any info on the recording session of WotW. Is JW still writing the score, or is it all wrapped up and recorded??? Does anyone know??? :)

Its like Minority Report and Terminal, those were done in virtual secrecy.

I personally don't think this will be an excitting score. Not saying anything bad about Williams, but I have a feeling that for once speilberg is gonna go Minimalistic with the music in this film....Just a hunch really.

I don´t think so. I think this movie is gonna have huge action. I can see almost the destruction of the earth...

Yeah but in SPR the sounds effects were very important. The film is like a documentary, filmed with the camera in the hands. It was about realism. The music was for the emotional stuff. I don´t think it is the case of WOTW. It is an action/sc-fi film. If the aliens are coming I´m sure that Mr. Williams is gonna frigthen us with some scary music

Actually, Spielberg is calling this the most realistic type of movie he's shot which is why there is speculation that this will be a much smaller type of score.

EDIT : I'm speaking of course in the sense of the way its being shot - sort of documentary style. The premise is of course not realistic which is why this film could end up being a very interesting approach. The Independence Day approach we've seen already - this should be very different.

- Adam

I'm not expecting anything at all from this score.I'm 99% certain it's going to be similiar to rthe frantic cues from Minority Report with some Barry's Abduction type scary music.This won't be the one for heroic themes and memorable motifs I'm afraid.

But maybe i yam wrong hopefully.

K.M.

We already have a release date for the OS for WotW, but when was the recording session? As opposed to RotS, of which we got almost daily reports, we didn't have any info on the recording session of WotW. Is JW still writing the score, or is it all wrapped up and recorded??? Does anyone know???  8O

Excellent questions! Anyone?

I have a feeling KM is right. He generally has a very good idea for what kind of music Williams will write for upcoming scores, and the more we see of the film as it approaches, the more this prediction makes sense. You never know though, and I'm still holding high expectations.

Ray Barnsbury

EDIT : I'm speaking of course in the sense of the way its being shot - sort of documentary style. The premise is of course not realistic which is why this film could end up being a very interesting approach. The Independence Day approach we've seen already - this should be very different.

I didn't get that impression from the trailers.

Even if the score is low key, look what Williams did with CEotTK. And I agree with Kenobi on this. There are going to be several action sequences. I almost what to say the score will resembe Minority Report crossed with Jurassic Park.

Tim

Yeah but in SPR the sounds effects were very important. The film is like a documentary, filmed with the camera in the hands. It was about realism. The music was for the emotional stuff. I don´t think it is the case of WOTW. It is an action/sc-fi film. If the aliens are coming I´m sure that Mr. Williams is gonna frigthen us with some scary music

Schindler's List was the same thing and William's score was one of the best he's ever composed

Regardless of Steef being the usual ass, I wonder what you say if Horner writes the Star Wars Main Title again: "Well, do we know he heard Star Wars? There are only so many notes, you know?" :(

That may well be. But it's a far minor similarity to this example here, which is note for note (except for one almost unhearable alteration in the flourish), the orchestration is almost the same, etc.

We already have a release date for the OS for WotW, but when was the recording session? As opposed to RotS, of which we got almost daily reports, we didn't have any info on the recording session of WotW. Is JW still writing the score, or is it all wrapped up and recorded??? Does anyone know???

As far as I'm aware, the recording sessions are scheduled during the first half of May.

Regardless of Steef being the usual ass, I wonder what you say if Horner writes the Star Wars Main Title again: "Well, do we know he heard Star Wars? There are only so many notes, you know?" :(

Horner already did that with Project X.

Neil

Wow. That's quite a similarity. I also noticed that Horner's Achilles' Theme is very similar to Yared's theme for Troy (not the motif, the theme.)

• 2 weeks later...