Zimmer, not Williams, to work with Spielberg (Rumour)

Erik Woods

Check it out!

http://www.scoremagacine.com/Noticias_eng_...t.php?Codigo=16

I highly doubt that Zimmer will be scoring a Spielberg film... but stranger things have happenned. If anything, Williams will drop the Marshall picture to work with Spielberg.

-Erik-

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is.....disturbing. Mainly because of the thought of JW not working with Spielberg, but, I must shamefully admit, because, well.....I wouldn't mind hearing Zimmer's score for Vengeance. Not over a JW score, of course, NEVER over a JW score, but, well, let's just say, if JW is out, I'd pick Zimmer for the job.

Ignoring the above piece of heresy......

It seems rather obvious to me that this rumour is nothing more than pure exaggeration of the situation. Williams would of course bow out of Geisha far sooner than Vengeance, if Zimmer was waiting on anything, it'd be that.

I am never the less quite troubled by this rumour (as anything regarding Williams being tired and composing less does), and hope it is quite baseless.

Morlock- who is more interested in hearing Williams' Vengeance than Williams' Geisha anyway.

Oh, please. This is the most ridiculous statement I have heard since... well, since "and the Oscar goes to... Shakespeare in Love!"

The score deserved it, but the film didn't. Bloody Gwyneth certainly didn't!

I'm all for a Zimmer/Spielberg project, but not this one. If anybody should be scoring a film about the Olympics, it should be Williams

Oh, please. This is the most ridiculous statement I have heard since... well, since "and the Oscar goes to... Shakespeare in Love!"

I don't think the score did, not against Mulan and Prince of Egypt. I don't know if Paltrow did, the only other nominee I saw was Elizabeth, and I barely remember it (though I understand Emily Watson was great in Hilary and Jackie).

Best picture, it certainly didn't deserve over SPR. THE greatest best picture injustice in oscar history, bar none, and I LOVE Shakespeare in Love!

I'm all for a Zimmer/Spielberg project, but not this one. If anybody should be scoring a film about the Olympics, it should be Williams

First of all, it is unclear how much of the Olympics will be in the movie (if at all), and, either way, I doubt any music in the score will be about the Olympic games, but rather exclusively about the 1972 Munich Olympics.

And IMO this would be a great and challenging project for any film composer, so naturally JW doing it is the best of all worlds.

I'd rather have a Williams score for Geisha than for Vengeance, even though the thought of Zimmer working with Spielberg does make me ill.

Jeff

quote="Morlock"]I don't think the score did, not against Mulan and Prince of Egypt. I don't know if Paltrow did, the only other nominee I saw was Elizabeth, and I barely remember it (though I understand Emily Watson was great in Hilary and Jackie).

Best picture, it certainly didn't deserve over SPR. THE greatest best picture injustice in oscar history, bar none, and I LOVE Shakespeare in Love!

Emily Watson was amazing in Hilary & Jackie so yes I think she should have and I agree re SPR - absolutely! But back to Stephen Warbeck - his score was a refreshing and diverse change I thought, the score swiftly moved the picture along and added a great deal to the film.

Mulan I enjoy very much, but don't know how it serves the picture as I have never seen the film.

I adore Zimmer's Prince of Egypt - his greatest work IMO - I had actually forgotten that it was nominated, so yes I actually agree with you on this one. The music for The Burning Bush & Red Sea was immensely touching and indeed appropriate for the subject matter - oh and that finale with the French Horn effects - wonderful!

Did you know he used 16 horns and positioned them in 4 different parts of the recording studio (Air Lyndhurst I think it was) - very effective, particularly for the parting of the Red Sea horn scales which sound especially good through the surround speakers! :mrgreen:

I finally saw The Ring the other night and the score was.....actually pretty good. ZImmer did a very good job although I know it was a mishmash of several composers. But his atmospheric stuff has always been very good. I give him full credit. I might even buy the score. If Zimmer scores Spielberg's next film, well, I would only ask that he NOT try to work on the same plain as Williams because he never will be as strong a melodicist. But he does have talent in atmospheric sound scapes.

This is awesome news. Zimmer always was much cooler and more talented than Williams. Spielberg knows this, and he will for sure be using zimmers immense talent in the future.

This is a fantastic story. Williams was never as talented or a exciting as Zimmer. Spielberg is aware of this, and he is right to turn to zimmer's enormous abilities for upcoming projects.

Don't complain about it in the middle of a thread. PM Andreas and demand that he fixes it. I'm sure he's aware of the problem since I PMd him, but the more the merrier.

Neil - who doesn't like the idea of Zimmer working with Williams

I finally saw The Ring the other night and the score was.....actually pretty good.  ZImmer did a very good job although I know it was a mishmash of several composers.  

The Japanese score from the original Ring was a hell of a lot scarier (not orchestral, but a synth and sample guy).

Oh, as for 1998, MULAN should have garnered Goldsmith a long overdue companion to his original Oscar...or 1997 for LA Confidential.  Or The Edge....pick one, any one.

Ah, The Edge. Very good movie. That reminds me I should buy the DVD one of these days.

I wish Spielberg would have the balls to make the movie without a score. This would be the perfect opportunity. I would applaud it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Oh, as for 1998, MULAN should have garnered Goldsmith a long overdue companion to his original Oscar...or 1997 for LA Confidential.  Or The Edge....pick one, any one.

Ah, The Edge. Very good movie. That reminds me I should buy the DVD one of these days.

A good movie. Not very good.

Morlock- who just got Zimmer's Spanglish (among many other scores), and is very impressed

Morlock 2- who thinks The Ring is pretty darn good horror score. Cliched as hell, but in a good way, and done very well.

"A good movie. Not very good." - Morlock

In my book it's very good because David Mamet writes dialog that amuses me a darn lot more than most action flicks. A very good movie in my book because the dialog was spoken by a couple of very good actors (especially Alec Baldwin). A very good movie, because unlike most action flicks it walked a slow pace, refused to stroboscope like an inept MTV clip and the action, for once, did not get the upper hand. Instead, there was a lot of psychological battling, which I miss a lot these days. A very good movie because Bart the Bear was menacing as if he was some bear that came straigth from hell. A good movie because I enjoyed the second view as much as the first one. All qualities that make it stand with head and shoulders above the merely good movies. That doesn't mean it's excellent or that's it's a four star movie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

6 months / 2 films = 3 months per film. Enough time :P (considering that "Memoirs..." must be in post-production)

Spielberg sometimes thinks he only makes movies just for having Williams scoring for his films. And a John Williams score is better than any chance for an Oscar, so he would delay the release date in any case.

This is a fantastic story.  Williams was never as talented or a exciting as Zimmer.  Spielberg is aware of this, and he is right to turn to zimmer's enormous abilities for upcoming projects.

gasp...can't breath....choking on sarcasm....

Zimmer score for Spielberg... no thanks... I have never fully appreciated a Zimmer score, with any luck I have liked 10% of one of his scores...

I don't think the score did, not against Mulan and Prince of Egypt. I don't know if Paltrow did, the only other nominee I saw was Elizabeth, and I barely remember it (though I understand Emily Watson was great in Hilary and Jackie).

Apart from SPR losing to SIL, how could anyone give DRIVING MISS DAISY, "the best picture" of 1989, over say BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY or FIELD OF DREAMS? Jeez, I forget! The Academy is made up of geriatrics!

Now take REBECCA. Best Picture of 1940. And who gets the Oscar? David O. f$%^ing Selznick. I hope that turd is burning in hell.

As for Zimmer scoring a Spielberg? You're joking? A joke...is a story with a humourous climax. Vengeance is I hope not gonna be a funny story.

Hitch :P:devil:ROTFLMAO:devil:ROTFLMAO:devil:

This is awesome news. Zimmer always was much cooler and more talented than Williams. Spielberg knows this, and he will for sure be using zimmers immense talent in the future.

I wonder how many people talk about how "cool" film composers are? And why do you think Spielberg believes Zimmer is more talented than Williams? he has almost always collaborated with Williams, never collaborated with Zimmer, and been quoted as saying, "The only man who will ever score my films is John Williams."

Lance, I am rather confused as to why you joined. Two of your three posts have been in threads about other composers, stating that John Williams isn't as talented as them. This, of course, doesn't mean you can't still like JW, but you haven't really said anything good about him, all you've said is that he isn't as good as Andrew Lloyd Webber or Hans Zimmer, and that he isn't . . . ah, yes, a real composer. Care to clarify?

This is a fantastic story. Williams was never as talented or a exciting as Zimmer. Spielberg is aware of this, and he is right to turn to zimmer's enormous abilities for upcoming projects.

:P

~Sturgis

This obviously won't happen. Next topic, please.

Justin - Who thinks this can turn to nothing but baseless Zimmer bashing.

I like Zimmer. His scores of animated pictures are particularly good. But I also like his action stuff from time to time, and some of his work on drama.

Williams still kicks his ass, though.

- Marc

This is awesome news. Zimmer always was much cooler and more talented than Williams.  .

Not a great way to be welcomed with open arms here.

K.M.

Hmmm well I do enjoy a LOT of Zimmer's music - but I have to say I am tiring of this 'group scoring' thing.. If Zimmer DOES do the Spielberg project, then I hope he does it alone. Although The Ring was effective, dont you find it amazing that it took 4 people to write the scores for those 2 films??!! Especially when the 2 main thematic ideas were taken from Hannibal.. But guys we do have to face the fact that someday Spielberg will have to turn to someone else to write for his films...

sorry Mr. John Zimmer!!!

That was an amusing read. Quite a rumor you guys picked up on there. There are traces of shadows of fact laced throughout, but, for the most part, its rumor. A really amusing one.

~Director

If only Herrmann was still alive. Me and Williams wouldn't object to the likes of him. Honestly, I don't think Williams sees much in the Hans Zimmer, nor should you.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I can see that duo working in the future. Williams is 73 and Spielberg is 58. I believe that both of them are continue working till his death. So altougth I hope that Mr.Williams lives to 100 years or something the truth is that one day he is gonna pass away, and if Spielberg continues making films he will need a new composer. And Hans Zimmer is very close to DreamWorks. I like Zimmer´s work, so I think it could be a good duo (never as good as Spielberg/Williams anyway). If Williams passes away, what composer would you like to score Spielberg films besides Zimmer?

sorry Mr. John Zimmer!!!

Who?

Justin

I would be cool with either Silvestri or Newton Howard taking the reins after Williams departs. But, I too can see Williams working well into the future, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.