Best Theme written for the Movies

krosstj

I mean, you can't really just mark 1 "CUE" or Theme or motif or whatnot as the all time greatest, but I have to give a nod to Stieners "MAIN THEME" or "Tara's Theme" from Gone with the Wind. I mean if you think about what film music was before that movie and those themes in general then you have to apploud Stiener for his work. Truely one of the first if not THE first composer to implement light motifs or motifs into a film, giving charactors there own theme music. Obviously that score is probably the highlight of his career, not only for its achievment musically but historically for future films. I know that many people complain that his "Micky Moused" alot, but truely that theme is just so beautiful and really capture the feeling of the film and the famous scene.

KrossTJ-hopeing that this thread will not get flamed like his past 2 threads of late. :P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the two best themes for the movies are

#1, Enterprise from Star Trek the Motion Picture, the greatest single cue ever

#1A, Love Theme from Superman the Movie, the greatest single cue ever written by John Williams.

On any given day I could flipflop these two.

both are greater than Tara's theme.

I mean, you can't really just mark 1 "CUE" or Theme or motif or whatnot as the all time greatest, but I have to give a nod to Stieners "MAIN THEME" or "Tara's Theme" from Gone with the Wind.  I mean if you think about what film music was before that movie and those themes in general then you have to apploud Stiener for his work.  Truely one of the first if not THE first composer to implement light motifs or motifs into a film, giving charactors there own theme music.  Obviously that score is probably the highlight of his career, not only for its achievment musically but historically for future films.  I know that many people complain that his "Micky Moused" alot, but truely that theme is just so beautiful and really capture the feeling of the film and the famous scene.

KrossTJ-hopeing that this thread will not get flamed like his past 2 threads of late.  :P

"Star Wars," for the same reasons mentioned above. Think about film music was like before the first two minutes of that 1977 movie. Sure, it was great, but this theme just blasted film music into a new stratosphere.

I contend that anyone of any age can hear the "Star Wars" theme in their heads quicker than "Tara's Theme," showing that "Star Wars" has been embraced by more members of the general public. It's hard to gauge how the music was received in 1939, but I doubt it had the effect on music purchases that "Star Wars" had in 1977. It was, after all, the highest-grossing non-pop album of all time -- until "Titanic," which was 20 years later.

"Star Wars," for the same reasons mentioned above. Think about film music was like before the first two minutes of that 1977 movie. Sure, it was great, but this theme just blasted film music into a new stratosphere.  

I contend that anyone of any age can hear the "Star Wars" theme in their heads quicker than "Tara's Theme," showing that "Star Wars" has been embraced by more members of the general public. It's hard to gauge how the music was received in 1939, but I doubt it had the effect on music  

purchases that "Star Wars" had in 1977. It was, after all, the highest-grossing non-pop album of all time -- until "Titanic," which was 20 years later.

and inturn JW took the style from those earlier films (IE, Gone witht he wind, casablanca, Into the sun) and brought back what made those earlier scores so amazing, a large orchestra with sweeping and graceful sounds. Even thought Starwars is Bombasitic, it had many of these elements in it that are direct rip of styles from such prior movies. Still have to go with Tara's theme.

By the way, Gone with the Wind was just as much of a success if not more then starwars for its time. were talking the best use of TECHNOC, and the first movie to use an orchestra to give theme's to each character.

It's not anywhere on the album, but you can hear it in the film during the Lucius Malfoy scenes. The exclusion of this theme is one of the great injustices in soundtrack releases!

It's not anywhere on the album, but you can hear it in the film during the Lucius Malfoy scenes. The exclusion of this theme is one of the great injustices in soundtrack releases!

LOL

Or to hear it you could just pop in Star Wars: Episode II. :joke:

Harry Potter, Jaws, E.T., Superman, Schindler's List, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters of the Third Kind...

Ask anybody about the themes and they surely remember them.

The day I figured that all the movie themes I was able to remember were from the same single person, I was breathless.

That's why I love John Williams !

Just to single out one theme from each of my favourite composers:

James Horner

"Bishops Countdown" from Aliens

Bernard Herrmann:

"Scene D'Amour" from Vertigo

John Williams

"Growing up in Whittier" from Nixon

Elliot Goldenthal

"Home to Cork" from Michael Collins :-P

Jerry Goldsmith

"Calling / The Neighborhood" from Poltergeist

Maurice Jarre

"A Walk in the Clouds" from A Walk in the Clouds

John Barry

Main Theme from Out of Africa

Elmer Bernstein

Main Theme from The Commancheros

Alex North

Main Titles from Spartacus

Richard Robbins

Opening Titles / Darlington Hall from The Remains of the Day

Rachel Portman

Main Titles from The Cider House Rules

Thomas Newman

"Dead Already" from American Beauty

In terms of appropriateness for the film, it has to be Jaws.

In terms of power, musical quality and sheer brilliance, I would say the Force theme from SW.

Just to single out one theme from each of my favourite composers:  

James Horner  

"Bishops Countdown" from Aliens  

As always Hitch I aprechiate your knowlege of film/music history.  I think we sometimes forget about the older composers or Pre-Modern...even if your list is full of modern, yous till throw in the old timers, bravo!

Bernard Herrmann:  

"Scene D'Amour" from Vertigo  

John Williams  

"Growing up in Whittier" from Nixon  

Elliot Goldenthal  

"Home to Cork" from Michael Collins  

Jerry Goldsmith  

"Calling / The Neighborhood" from Poltergeist  

Maurice Jarre  

"A Walk in the Clouds" from A Walk in the Clouds  

John Barry  

Elmer Bernstein  

Main Theme from The Commancheros  

Alex North  

Main Titles from Spartacus  

Richard Robbins  

Opening Titles / Darlington Hall from The Remains of the Day  

Rachel Portman  

Main Titles from The Cider House Rules  

Thomas Newman  

"Dead Already" from American Beauty

John Barry

My favorite would be Midnight Cowboy.

The James Bond theme.... probably not.... but it's damn good anyway...

Deth, that is actually a very good choice. This is one of the most recognized themes ever. One of my all-time favorites.

I have a draw :) between The Gondor Theme (ROTK - especially during The Lightning of the Beacons) - it totally blew me away. In my humble opinion, it captures perfectly the decaying greatness of Gondor .... and Across the Stars (best tragical love theme ever!)

Lachesis