1 Minor quibble - 'Star Wars and The Revenge Of The Sith'

jasonblueeyes

Really Love this opening track and love that it's over 7 minutes unlike the previous 2 but 1 minor (or maybe major flaw) is the exclusion of Star Wars' traditional 'Twinkling Stars' music that has been in ALL the films to date. I really hope this music is in the finished film. Just quite doesn't seem like Star Wars without it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, everyone. Long time visitor, my first post.

I hope so too. I find there are so many things we had become used to that ar lacking in this CD ... I say "this CD" because I cannot believe that the movie soundtrack does not repair some of the damage. I also find the edit just after the main titles quite annoying. Not to mention the End Titles: this CD has the worst modulation ever from the actual movie to the credits ...

I have some mixed feelings regarding this composition. I am sure Williams' score for the movie is great, but I am disappointed by the CD release.

I think it won't be like that in the final film either, but I have to say I've really gotten to like it as it is on the album. It's new and makes for a really exciting start. It was jarring the first time I heard it because I'm used to the softer part there, but after I got used to it I've really enjoyed it.

It's amazing how nitpicky some fans can get ...

Who cares if there are 5 seconds missing from the opening titles? When I first read "the title theme was cut short" I thought that maybe 30 seconds were shaved off, but THIS?

It's there in all other 5 Star Wars scores, so I don't really need it. At least Williams tries to shake up things a little.

I really like this track. It is my favorite action track of the album. The Force theme at the begining ;) , I like the Greivous theme and the violins till the end of the track. Overall it sounds very John Williams to me, I think on Indiana Jones when I listen to it. I don´t find a problem with the edit at the end of the Main Title.

Speaking of quibbles, is Grievous' theme even played in "General Grievous" or "Grievous and the Droids"? Similarly, is the 9-note BotH theme in "Battle of the Heroes" and "Anakin vs Obi-Wan" played any other time in the score?

No, it isn't (unless you severely overanalyze melodies). Fun little theme... hopefully, it'll show up some more in the full score.

"Who cares if there are 5 seconds missing from the opening titles?......At least Williams tries to shake up things a little."

So now these 5 insignificant seconds are an attempt to "shake things up?" BTW, that's an interesting presumption of JW's "intent" in order to explain this change.

Well, it's a little detail (among several other bigger ones) that makes this score different. It doesn't simply follow the same old pattern.

If you think I wanted to say that these 5 seconds shake things up, you severely overinterpreted my post. It's obvious that Williams takes ROTS into a newer direction (not ALL new, but nevertheless); the heavy use of choir, a title theme that doesn't fit into the old Star Wars pattern at all (except for Dotf maybe), the dominance of mournful, sad cues and so on.

This 5 second "shortcut" is only a prove of point.

I and my non-obsessed friends all love the in-your-face chord change as though a space ship will fly across the opening crawl. I hope it's in the film, which it will be.

"If you think I wanted to say that these 5 seconds shake things up, you severely overinterpreted my post."

First if all, it's "misinterpreted", and I did no such thing. I simply read it. If you find yourself being misunderstood, then you should be a little clearer.

"This 5 second "shortcut" is only a prove of point."

Hardly. There's still no proof of this assumption that you are now simultaneously saying was not meant by your post. LOL.

"the dominance of mournful, sad cues and so on."

That might have a little bit more to do with Lucas' intent, rather than JW's. ;)

PAN DOWN to reveal a REPUBLIC ATTACK CRUISER. Continue to

PAN with the Cruiser as TWO JEDI STARFIGHTERS enter and head

toward an enemy Battle Cruiser. TRUCK with the Jedi Fighters as

they maneuver in unison, dodging flack and enemy laser fire....

Seems like it goes pretty much straight into action..

But if you listen to where the Main Titles stop on the album and compare it to previous title crawls, you will see the text is still rolling at that point. It's probably an album-only edit. But I do like it. It's in your face in a good way. ;)

- Marc

I think as with Phantom Menace, we'll hear more variations of the new themes, and even some themes not on the album.