Philadelphia Star Wars Concert July 8th!!!

Lurker

Something told me to just check the Mann Music Centers website, so I did. July 8th, there will be a "Star Wars and Other John Williams Favorites" concert with The Philadelphia Orchestra. No news on who is conducting, but I figured I'd let everyone know. I wonder if I'll finally get to hear Superman live.

Neil

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be getting tickets as well, certainly. I'm off that week (the 18th, which is when the tickets go on sale, is 1 day before my birthday - coincidently the day RotS comes out!).

Tim, who's eyes bugged out of his head when he saw the thread topic... :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

The link has updated with the whole set list, and frankly, I'm a little disappointed. I thought this was going to be an all-JW concert and was a bit suprised when it turned into "Star Wars and other Movie Favorites". I don't mind "The Sorcerer’s Apprentice".....but "Bolero"???? That sucks! They're also playing a suite from "Psycho".

The Williams material is as follows:

“The Raiders’ March,” from Raiders of the Lost Ark

“Adventures on Earth,” from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Suite from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Main Theme from Star Wars

Tim

I like all of that music, but this royally sucks and is vastly different from the original title of the concert. So once again....no Superman.

Neil

Sorcerer's Apprentice is a fantastic piece. Too bad the Williams stuff is standard fare. However, the POA suite might include Buckbeak if it's a new arrangement.

Well, the suite entitled "Witches, Wands, and Wizards" is made up of "Quidditch, Third Year," "Chasing Scabbers," the hummingbird flute line from "Secrets of the Castle," and "The Snowball Fight." But there's an arrangement of PoA music on Silva's newly released The Incredible Film Music Box that, from the sound clip, includes the Double Trouble variations as heard in "Mischief Managed." The suite advertised for this concert could be the suite from this box set. I'm definitely interested in what it contains, since it seems to be new.

Ray Barnsbury

I am also a little disappointed as well. I was under the impression, that it was an all JW concert also. But I am really interested to hear the HP:POA Suite. That should be cool.

According to what Warner Bros. Music published, their POA suite is "Hedwig's Theme, Hagrid the Professor, Double Trouble, A Window to the Past". Now whether or not that's what's played, is to be determined...

Tim, who has realized he has posted in this thread way too much...

According to what Warner Bros. Music published, their POA suite is "Hedwig's Theme, Hagrid the Professor, Double Trouble, A Window to the Past". Now whether or not that's what's played, is to be determined...  

Interesting.....most interesting.

Ray Barnsbury - who wants a recording of that PoA Suite, dammit!

• 2 weeks later...

David Amado is the conductor. Did anyone mention that? This concert is old news. Don't know why it didn't occur to me to post about it. banghead

What would be really cool is if The Sorceror's Apprentice appeared on the same program as The Five Sacred Trees, since Williams makes reference to it in the scherzo.

I confess I'm not too excited about this concert. :mrgreen: However, supporting a shoddily-planned Williams concert may ensure future hopefully-not-so-shoddily-planned programs of a similar character.

How much you want to bet they're going to try to foist Bolero off as worthy of inclusion, on account of its use in Blake Edwards' 10?

I plan on zoning out during the Bolero, but the rest of the concert seems standard. I am really looking forward to hearing the new material though. Can't wait to hear the PoA stuff live.

Tim, Letter A Box #4, seats 8&9... :mrgreen: "Yes - Close to the Edge"