First Look at the New Superman!

Lurker

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks fine to me. I could have done without the hero pose, though. Only a proven Superman is allowed to use that pose.

I didn't realize sliced bread was a costume.  That's the worst halloween ever.

Other then that, costume looks good, but I figured he could bulk up a bit more.

Tim

It's not the Hulk, ya know. Most people will like him more without exaggerated muscles. It's not a Vin Diesel movie.

I tried to think of a sillier costume, but I couldn't except for the thing Ahmed Best wore on the set of TPM... so rather than mention the name of his character (he-who-must-not-be-named), I thought I wore draw the too-rarely observed parallel between Superman's costume and sliced bread. So toast me for it. (Conscious bad jokes are the best!)

Full high-res photo here.

I don't like the colors. I don't like the neck line. I don't like the "S" being so small. I don't like how his hair is parted. It looks more like the evil Superman from Superman III in terms of color. I hope this is a costume test.

Neil

"With X-Men, although they had extraordinary powers, they also had physical weaknesses," he says. "The suits were for protection as well as costume. Superman is the Man of Steel. Bullets bounce off him, not his suit."

thats not true, as the costume is made of non radioactive kryptonite material, impervious to bullets also.

the red is too dark as well, but I can live with it, the lighting is poor making the colors look even darker.

The red looks like a dead rose. The red is what makes superman look super, and they screwed it up. Now he looks like he is supposed to have a darkside or be dark. Its the same red as the daredevil movie. Every superhero movie since Batman has thought audiences would not accept the old costumes. Except maybe the Phantom, but I'm not too sure about that comic. At least they weren't afraid of bright colors. If you can suspend your disbelief to think a guy can fly and wears a crime fighting skin tight costume, then why do the studios feel so self-conscious about bright colors. Do they think it looks too gay? Do they think people will laugh?

Now I hope the theme does not go with this movie. John Williams' music should forever be associated with the classic Superman and Chris Reeve in the bright cape.

Ah, if everybody is going to bitch about it: I don't like how the colors aren't bright enough. I don't like the tiny "S". I don't like the texture of the suit - what is he, going underwater? I don't like the boots being like a snake's skin. I don't like how dark the red is, but that's something I could get used to more easily. The cape seems to be at an okay lenght, but I wouldn't mind it one or two inches longer. And finally, I don't like how uptight Superman looks - the entire pose. And Routh could use some more sinew - but that's not his fault. The suit reveals too much belly so it looks like he's flat. Wouldn't mind bigger arms - he's Superman after all.

Just checking... Am I the only one who finds this Superman easier to sympathise with? Other than the Photoshoping there isn't too great.

th_superman_returns.jpg

-Ross, ruining the thread while beating a dead horse.

WOW, I can't believe you guys are so damn picky....Looks fine too me, rather watch the movie for the story, acting and action then how small the S is and the Color on his chest is. I will agree with Jeshopk on the low cut waste line, that looks kinda weird, but please, enjoy the movie for the movie, not the color of the costume.

There are some things you don't mess with. Superman's costume is one of them. It's an icon. It's part of what makes him what he is. This doesn't look like Superman to me.

This does....

S1-2.jpg

Neil

sure for the 1970's..... :?

And yet it's still closer to how the character is still drawn. This comic goes on sale May 25.

2964_400x600.jpg

Neil

Well, I can't argue with that point Neil, cause you are correct. And when I'm wrong I'm wrong. BUT, I still say we should let the damn suit go...watch the movie for what it's worth. ALSO, Christipher was not that built, The post about the muscle thing? Come on, its fine....Yes in the Comics Superman is BUFFER, but C.R. was about the same size as this kid.

The only way to get Superman to look exactly like that is to do him in CGI!

YEA CGI!! STAR WARS EP I,II and III STYLE!! Maybe we can get Ja-ja in there too! I mean can you imagine the beauty of that FILM! :mrgreen: lol, yea, like stef is saying, it is what it is, and I rather have human looking then CGI style.

lol, yea, like stef is saying, it is what it is, and I rather have human looking then CGI style.

My name is not Stef, it's Stefancos, Stefan, Steef, Mr. Cosman, or "My Lord".

Make that mistake again, and not even the Man Of Steel can save you.....

y name is not Stef, it's Stefancos, Stefan, Steef, Mr. Cosman, or "My Lord".  

Make that mistake again, and not even the Man Of Steel can save you.....

Yet again another example of my bat is bigger then yours by.....""DRUM ROLL" "Am chord" "Bb chord" Stephanie.

I still say we should let the damn suit go...watch the movie for what it's worth.

I'm looking forward to this movie as much as anyone here. But this new pic of Routh raises the question of what else has been changed in addition to the suit? If they darken the suit will they also darken the character?

It looks more like the evil Superman from Superman III in terms of color.

That's the first thing I thought of when I looked at it.

Jeff

somethings not quite right, because the cap between his legs is a brighter red, that the rest of the "red"

somethings not quite right, because the cap between his legs is a brighter red, that the rest of the "red"

Yes, I believe the inside of the cape is lighter then the outside...for whatever reason.....

I'm waiting till I see it on the big screen and lit properly. I would like the red to be brighter, but that's not a huge deal. And the small s/ is harkening back to the original comics. Could it be bigger? Yes. Am I losing sleep over it? No.

Looks stupid.

HPFAN_2 - who never liked the Superman movies, never liked Superman and thinks Batman is way better.

Looks stupid.

Wait a minute ... If HPFAN_2 thinks it's stupid then this movie's chances to be any good have just skyrocketed. It might be good after all, boys. Yippiee!

Wait a minute ... If HPFAN_2 thinks it's stupid then this movie's chances to be any good have just skyrocketed. It might be good after all, boys. Yippiee!

Animosity?

Animosity?

No, just history.

I never really cared for the Superman costume to begin with.

Justin - Who thinks the new Superman boots make it look like he should be wearing a Superman cowboy hat.

I have to agree about the "S". Too small, and too high. It's dwarfed by everything else around it, when it should be the most prominent part.

"My name is not Stef, it's Stefancos, Stefan, Steef, Mr. Cosman, or "My Lord". "

"You can all me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me.....". 8O

I saw a photoshopped pic on another forum where they improved the costume.

You can see it here. Looks better, IMO.

Then again, I'll just wait and see how the official design works within the movie.

BTW, there's a "quote" option. 8O

I've had my impressions of it on the newsarama.com board

My opinion is it's not that great, the chest symbol is too small, the blue is too bright and the daredevil red leather doesn't fit in and should be brighter. I'm fine with the belt tho and the added S symbol.

This looks like a lesser version of the Christopher Reeve costume.It looks quite balnd and understated.They should have made superman more muscular this time,like the comic.Also,add some cool new texture in the suit,like the Spiderman costume has these small scales and stuff.

K.M.

Wow. I am officially excited. There's a new Superman movie coming out. Before now, I was just like, "Meh...I've already got my favorite Supes movie." Now it looks like I might be making room for another. Clark Kent's dramatic run into a back alley? Come on. Classic Superman formula.

It looks quite balnd and understated.They should have made superman more muscular this time,like the comic.

Oh guys, when are you going to get it?! He's an actor, not a bodybuilder. The acting is what's going to make him Superman.

There's a certain Elephant Man movie where John Merrick, 'The Elephant Man', doesn't wear make-up. He looks normal, and yet through his performance, you believe he's hideously deformed.

I'm sure that they tried all kinds of "bodies" before they found Brandon Routh. To them he IS Superman. Maybe they laughed when they saw a big bodybuilder in a Superman suit. What "works" in comics doesn't necessarily works in movies. With comics all you got is the visual and your imagination. Movies may need to rely on other things to for making a character believable.

wf95.jpg

This looks like a lesser version of the Christopher Reeve costume.It looks quite balnd and understated.They should have made superman more muscular this time,like the comic.Also,add some cool new texture in the suit,like the Spiderman costume has these small scales and stuff.

If you look at the hi-res picture, you will see there actually is texture to the suit.

Superman and Batman hurling rocks at each other?  Batman = OWNED!
Batman versus Superman has always seemed silly to me.

I mean, Batman may be the greatest martial arts expert in the world, he's still only human.

Did you guys even read what Robin was saying on the front cover?

Neil