Which is the best John Williams Trilogy?(score wise)

King Mark

Best JW trilogy?  

55 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Star Wars Original Trilogy
    • The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy
    • The Harry Potter Trilogy
    • The Indiana Jones Trilogy

Vote for the total body of music,not the films.I know,I know... it's obvious,it's the SW OT...or is it? :music:

K.M.Who likes the alternate look of the MB he sometimes sees

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know IJ and the OT are the first two and HP and the PT are the second two, but I'll be damned if I know which I'd put first among each set. I instinctively voted for IJ, but after thinking about half a second, I have no idea.

I just like Harry Potter 1 & 3 too much to not vote for the whole trilogy. All the Star Wars and Indiana Jones are great and have nice themes and just great all-around music.... But I just like Harry Potter too much.

I have to think about it.The SW OT has SW and ESB,but RotJ takes it down a notch.Indy Trilogy is consistantly excellent .HP has great themes,but CoS was rushed.The SW Prequels has the great TPM,the mediocre AotC,and I can't really judge RotS fully yet...

K.M.Who doesn't know...

Gone With the Wind was rushed and that turned out fine, I don't see how COS sounds rushed as there are so many great new themes. Ah well, old topic that one I suppose :music:

ROTJ is the inferior of the three yes, but considering we have The Forest Battle, Death of Yoda, Fleet Enters Hyperspace, Into the Trap, Emperor's Death, Luke & Leia, Sail Barge Assault - all of those cues just spell total and utter brilliance for me personally so your notch must be a significantly larger one to mine (so to speak!).

Lapti Nek and the high school band rentition of the Superstructure Chase are of course best forgotten!

Tim - who misses KM's sig of Williams being strangled! ;)

I'm voting from my heart. As brilliant and groundbreaking as the SW and Indy scores are, Potter is just much closer to me. I listen to and enjoy HP music in general more than any of the other trilogies, so for me there can't be any other choice.

Ray Barnsbury

Well I like CoS fine... There are some good themes in there... The rest is fine too. I just like HP1 and 3 better. :|

The Star Wars OT are what are nearest to my heart. Although I enjoy the prequel scores just as much, if forced to choose I'll vote for the OT.

Indy is close, consistent quality throughout. In fact I think they get better with each one. And as much as I love HP 1 and 3, the many flaws of CoS bring the series down as a whole.

I prefer to think of it as boring :| but yeah.... i just think of it as a transition score for a transitional movie between 2 better ones. So I DO like it.

Still,listening to the 3 potter albums back to back works fine,CoS having an equally important place.The re-recorded music from the PS score that appears on the CoS album is mostly unreleased music from PS.The re-hash mostly applies to the CoS score in the film.Of course,in this poll it counts too,but the fact that the CoS album is great helps thing out in Williams favor.

K.M.

The original Star Wars scores have that extra spark of epic mythology that the others don't have so I'll go with that. Its also nice that the 3 films are stylistically different enough that we get three different sounding scores that stand apart from one another as great scores but also feel unified with the continuity of story and themes. But they're all top-notch scores. I'd probably go with IJ as second, prequels 3rd and HP as 4th in terms of listening preference but its a close call.

- Adam

I wasn't around when the Star Wars OT came out, or the Indy trilogy, and though I love them, we're not that close. I wouldn't vote for the prequels for fear of my life (or because of HP), so I say the Harry Potter scores. I think POA is the best score John has done in years.

~Sturgis

Would you vote for that over SW OT?

~Sturgis

Let me tell you after I recieved the 9 CD complete LOTR set.

The Phantom Zone trio might be needing a new leader.

Neil

1. Star Wars Original Trilogy - JW's greatest

2. Indiana Jones Trilogy - Consistently great

3. Harry Potter - One minor low point but great themes

4. Star Wars Prequel Trilogy - Mixed bag

I've fallen in love with Raiders (the Ark theme rivals the Force theme for the most beautiful and chilling theme), but the competition is really stiff:

1. Star Wars Trilogy

2. Indiana Jones Trilogy

3. Harry Potter Trilogy

4. Star Wars Prequels (though I haven't listened to ROTS yet)

1. Star Wars Trilogy

2. Indiana Jones Trilogy (However, I've never heard the entire album of TOD)

3. Star Wars Prequels

4. Harry Potter (I only have the first one, and haven't gotten around to the others. I know, I know. I don't need the comments about this. I understand my faults.)

Star Wars Trilogy. No question. Then:

2 Prequels

3 Indy

4 HP (I haven´t listened the OST, only watched the films one time each one, but I am going to listen to them soon!)

What a testament to the significance of the Potter trilogy that it's beating the classic old-school Indy trilogy and the second SW trilogy by a mile.

Ray Barnsbury - proud :)

Indiana Jones in its complete unF'd up version is actually a very nice listen...however, more so then most of his soundtracks its OST is totally screwy with bad sound quality and editing and not even half of the tracks as a whole are on there, I think the IJ soundtracks are under-rated for most "common" folk (not you guys) only know the Raider March, there are alot of Musical treats to the Indy tracks...

I think that is true for all of Williams work. Most people only know the Main Title and Imperial March, and maybe one or two other things, from SW; Hedwig's Theme from HP; the main theme from Superman, etc.

I think because of LC that the Indy trilogy comes in 3rd.

John, I don't hate every aspect of LC, no where on this board have I ever said that or is there anything I've written, that would lead any aware person to believe I hate LC. Its certainly a two star, maybe even a two-1/2 star film, but it is the weakest of the films, and certainly the score.

btw, you've probably lowered your credibility on this board by saying the LC score is better than Raiders'.

OK, "hate" was probably too strong a word. Maybe "strongly dislike", you have made your feelings clear on the film and score plenty of times. And I meant the comment in good humor.

And if I've "lowered my credibility" because I say LC is better than Raiders, I'll live. I think Temple of Doom's score is better than Raiders' too, although all three are very, very close in quality IMO. :D

1st off, it's quite silly to vote yet. We haven't even heard the score to RotS nor seen it in the movie. I'll go off of original soundtracks....

1. SWOT

2. SWPT

3. IJ (Closely nudged out, but I gotta' go with SW music in general. I love it all!)

...and...

...um...

...what was the other one?

Oh yeah...

4. HPT

If we had one more JP score, Jaws score, or Home Alone score, it'd drop even more.

Shocked that the IJT is getting such little respect here. And all the votes for Potter shows we must have a lot of Younglings on board. How could anybody who was alive, kickin', and listening in the 1977-1984 era even consider putting Potter above the SWOT and IJT's?!

Lord Vader to the Jedi Temple immediately... heheheh....

-Chris

1st off, it's quite silly to vote yet. We haven't even heard the score to RotS nor seen it in the movie.

Maybe that's why no one voted for the prequels.

Yeah, right.

Neil

1/ Star Wars IV-VI :angry:

2/ Indiana Jones-- a very close second

3/ Star Wars I-III-- not heard a thing from the last one, indeed, but the original three already considerably outweigh the three prequels (very good / great as they are)

4/ Harry Potter-- nice themes, but I prefer SW& IJ; for all the themes there are, I think there are more development & variations in SW than in HP; The IJ are quite varied due to the very different movies, which makes them the richer; again, that's not saying HP is bad; I just find the other more interesting

The thing about Indiana Jones is, we all love it, but not quite as much as the Star Wars OT. Yet because of that, it gets 33 votes, while Indy gets next to none. Just an example of the way polls can skew things.

And if I've "lowered my credibility" because I say LC is better than Raiders, I'll live. I think Temple of Doom's score is better than Raiders' too, although all three are very, very close in quality IMO.

I think what sets Last Crusade apart from the other two is that it isn't very "tightly" composed. In the first two, it feels like every note has a purpose. In Last Crusade, a lot of the tracks just meander about. Like "X Marks the Spot." C'mon... it's boring! Also, the Raiders March is used too often (or not enough... I can't decide), and too brightly with the high bells and such. Although, there's one place where this works GREAT... when Indy escapes the train in "Indy's First Adventure." Shame that the ho-hum string rendition of the March during the lion scene diminishes the power of this (by already establishing the March in the film).