Review of bonus ROTS DVD

MrScratch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil, a personal question:

What do you do for a living?

I'm an electronic engineer student here in Spain (it's not only about electronics, I also study signal porcessing and network managment :|) and next year I'll have to choose my "minor" (it's not really a minor, just what we call specialization), and I'm interested in Audiovisual Systems.

Since you seem to be very well informed, what you tell me anything I shoul know about this world?

Thanks a lot!

Neil, a personal question:

I'm an electronic engineer student here in Spain (it's not only about electronics, I also study signal porcessing and network managment :|) and next year I'll have to choose my "minor" (it's not really a minor, just what we call specialization), and I'm interested in Audiovisual Systems.  

Since you seem to be very well informed, what you tell me anything I shoul know about this world?

Thanks a lot!

LOL

I though you were saying him to get a life!

I'm an electronic engineer student here in Spain (it's not only about electronics, I also study signal porcessing and network managment :|)  and I'm interested in Audiovisual Systems.

So...you are still in school, watch a lot of TV and surf the internet.

As little as humanly possible and nothing related to what you are studying. It's all just a hobby for me. As Hitch might say, "A man should have a hobby."

Neil

I'm an electronic engineer student here in Spain (it's not only about electronics, I also study signal porcessing and network managment :|)  and I'm interested in Audiovisual Systems.

So...you are still in school, watch a lot of TV and surf the internet.

How did you know! :angry:

A pity you don't work in this.

I asked some teachers but they don't seem to know there's life out of college.

I guess I'll keep on searching my future ... LOL

Going back to the post topic, with my current sound system I don't think I'll notice the difference between the Dolby and the PCM. But it will be great for rips. In fact it'll be CD quality. Tha bad thing is... we don't need rips, we already have all that music in CD quality!!! :|

Thanks for this. No mention of any Williams scoring session footage interpolated though.  :|

Does anyone know? Have anyone seen the DVD yet, btw???

Since this DVD is about musically telling the Star Wars saga, I expect we'll only get film footage.

Also, if there would be footage of JW conducting, I'm sure it wouldn't be the same quality as the film footage, and such a thing would've been mentioned in the DVD review.

- Marc

Is it just me, or does this whole DVD thing seem like a waste of time? I guess music videos are cool, but it would have been a much better, ahem... Valentine to the fans if part of this thing was a 'making of' the soundtrack. Even a 'making of' all 6 movies soundtracks would have been awesome.

I doubt this would get much play in my DVD other than the first time through.

I (unfortunately) agree with stewdog. Disappointing.

And go Madrid 2012, deimos! (quite difficult, still possible)

There's nothing wrong with agreeing with me. But I can understand why you would be hesitant in this case. But please agree in the future. 8O

I was really hoping that the reason the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set so rudely ignored Williams contribution (cue Ben Burtt: "My sound effects are just as important as the music!" 8O ) was because of a bonus documentary DVD as part of this CD release (ala Return of the King), but no!

Disappointed yet not surprised really. You have the ROTS DVD release to right the wrong Mr. Lucas!

NYC! NYC! NYC! NYC! NEEEEEW YORK, NEW YORK, a hellava town......

KrossTJ- Yep, I live here, the greatest city on earth, and just today was announced the 11th most depressed city in America...hmmmm STILL LOVE IT HERE!

deimos, I´m from Madrid too... so GO censored MADRID 2012!!!!

About the dvd, if it is only images of the films with music, I prefer to watch the movies than this dvd, so I´m with stewdog1 . But i´m gonna watch the Battle of the Heroes video everyday until the 19th!

I must mention that for dramatic effect and to better synchronize the images with the music, there are several sequences in which the editors found it necessary to repeat frames to create the illusion of slow motion. There are a couple of such sequences that look quite - for want of a better word - jerky. They are brief and do not spoil the show.

Heh-heh, editing the picture to fit the music. If only it was like that with the films!

I´m not sure if someone allready posted some information about

the DVD movies, but if not, here we go:

As I just got the CD and Bonus DVD, I took a quick look at the DVD...

I haven´t watched the whole DVD, but have been browsing through

the movies.

The beginning is really good. Ian McDiarmid beeing filmed at the

recording studios of Abbey Road, London talking about

"we are here at the abbey - blablabla - where in a few minutes

musicians will come in -blablabla - and record the music - blablabla..."

I thought "Oh, good, let´s bring in the musicans, plus John Williams

conducting and recording all the stuff...", but: NO WAY

As far as I´ve seen it now, all the 16 tracks are just movie cuts

from the films with music.

As far as I´ve seen, there is only one or two (no so good) pictures

of JW, that´s it. At least the pictures of JW are not as bad as in

the booklet... :roll:

-Alawill

Love the Palpy pic on Disc 1. Hate the Vader pic on disc 2. And do we really need another foldout poster? :roll:

And this confirms the track listing on this site once again (to those infidels who doubted it :)).

I´m not sure if someone allready posted some information about

the DVD movies, but if not, here we go:

As I just got the CD and Bonus DVD, I took a quick look at the DVD...

I haven´t watched the whole DVD, but have been browsing through

the movies.

The beginning is really good. Ian McDiarmid beeing filmed at the

recording studios of Abbey Road, London talking about

"we are here at the abbey - blablabla - where in a few minutes

musicians will come in -blablabla - and record the music - blablabla..."

I thought "Oh, good, let´s bring in the musicans, plus John Williams

conducting and recording all the stuff...", but: NO WAY

As far as I´ve seen it now, all the 16 tracks are just movie cuts

from the films with music.

As far as I´ve seen, there is only one or two (no so good) pictures

of JW, that´s it. At least the pictures of JW are not as bad as in

the booklet...  :roll:  

-Alawill

:) We should know by now: Lucasfilm & Sony - that says it all!

Does anybody know any kids that actually use the inlay as a poster?

:) to the Sony marketing gurus! Oh and how about another JW concert CD, Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Vol.3 maybe? Get with the programme!

Sony is now completely out of touch with what people want or need.I realised that when I tried one of their "Network Walkmans"

K.M.

Well, the menus on this pictures look better than they do in reality, they´re actually quiet cheap, like most of the music videos are (except for the cutting, which is quite good) but what do you expect from a free bonus DVD....

Well...I just got done watching it...

"Star Wars: A Musical Journey" isn't really quite fair.

"Star Wars: A Collection of Self-Contained Music Videos that have NO REAL Narrative Save a FEW Threads and Ian McDiarmid's Introductions that ALMOST Come Close to Maybe Making This Collection a Cohesive Work" would have made a much better title....I mean...it wouldn't be misleading.

It is an interesting watch, but most of the scenes shown in most of the videos are a jumble mess of images, and some poorly cut. I have no problem if, for example: "A Narrow Escape" is going to combine many narrow escapes from many of the films cut to "The Asteroid Field"...just don't have the intro talk exclusively about TESB's narrow escape...at least warn me I'll see the asteroid chase from AOTC. OR, if "A Daring Rescue" is going to show many daring rescues, don't hype the Death Star escape and make me watch Leia rescue Han from carbonite while listening to the lament for Obi-Wan just before "TIE Attack". Further, someone explain how "A Sanctuary Moon" has anything to do with the Gungan battle from TPM being set to "The Forest Battle Concert Suite"...I mean really.

This is frustrating...especially since I was expecting a "Musical Journey" through the Saga. The narrative, while slightly dry...yields the impression that the forthcoming videography in chronological in documenting the story. Worse than disappointment are the few moments where the editors show they could have in fact done just that. The concluding two videos ("A Life Redeemed" and "A New Day Dawns"), in particular, illustrate that a cohesive storytelling effort would have been magical...and ultimately more successful.

Thankfully...this is only a freebie...not a hyped release, doomed for disappointment.

What I'll do is take this as inspiration and ask for people's help in cutting video to my SYMPHONY FOR A SAGA...in order to create the ultimate musical journey. Check out what I'm interested in doing at http://musicofstarwars.tripod.com.

Thanks...T - OUT!

What a dissapointment this is. I really wanted it to be a musical jorney, and not what todd describes (unfortunately I haven't been able to purchase it, it was a holiday here yesterday and I'm really busy today :angry: ). I can't understand how McCallum can say things like "with John's music you don't need dialogues to understand the feeling of the story", and then get this. I hoped than the random of the edit in A hero falls was to prevent viewers from spoilers but I guess its a general pattern.

To Todd:

I love your idea of the real musical journey. Unfortunatelly all my ensuthiasm with the idea is far from my skills with video editing. I hope that with the new computer I'll get in a few weeks, I start learning all about video and audio editing (it's not far from what I aim professionally) but that's not precissely what you need.

Anyway I offer myself to help you in anything I may be useful, I think this is a great thing you're planning.

And a small offtopic: After a first listening tou your Saga Symphony disc 2, I have some opinions about it, but I'll wait till my second listening to tell you, along with some issues about disc 1. But that's another story ...

Thanks...don't take my word for the DVD...check it out and lets see what everyone else thinks....this alas is only my opinion.

As far as comments on the Saga Symphony...please....I need the feedback so I can more finely tune this thing up...especially if we want to put video to it. Post those opinions in the thread so we can communally work at it. Thanks!!

The Star Wars music is mixed properly on this disc. It seems to have mono surrounds (which is fine with me) and does not exhibit any of the problems heard on the DVD released in September. And a bad reverb effect was used to cover up the bad edit in "The Imperial March".

Neil

The DVD is not bad and I especially like how the images synch up to all the crescendos in the music, but as I opened the CD package today, I couldn't help but wish the two discs enclosed were the score, in other words, a "complete" score release. I would have much prefered to have another disc of music from the film than this DVD, and thinking about that as I looked at the two disc was kind of depressing.

Ted

so i just finished viewing the dvd. I thought the dvd was a nice little keep sake of all 6 films rolled into an hour. Sure I had some issuses with the editing (since I do edit stuff) also no JW and the LOS. If I get by all that (which I do very fast) I just enjoy it for what it is. A nice little time line of all 6 wonderful films. And all the wonderful music this amazing composer made for all of us to enjoy. Be happy because as of right now this is the ONLY FULL dvd thats about JW! I hope more to come after this. By the way I do have an MP3 version of the JW BONUS TRACK. It runs 4 min or so long. Its music in the backround while john speaks about the music in the film (very bad audio edits of johns interview by the way)